Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chuck Smith Coming to Corbin????
I've heard people talking about Chuck Smith coming to coach the Redhounds and Jewell is going to S.W. Pulaski. Is there any truth to this rumor??

Since Jewell has been coach he has had 30 kids in a class and then by the time that class graduates he is lucking to have 10-15 kids left. I know at least 5-6 kids quite or transfer from the 2 time winning middle school championship team, who will be juniors next year. I also know this past season the sh*t hit the fan over honoring breast cancer. I know Corbin has a reputation of getting rid of coaches if they have overstayed their welcome, but Jewell is like Joker.....Jewell sent to school at Corbin winning a state title then coached under Larry "Cotton" Adams and Whitaker, then took over hte program after Whitaker left. So maybe Corbin is giving Jewell the benefit of the doubt. He also has one of his sons graduating so they could be waiting until the end of school year. If Jewell does leave and takes the Pulaski job his youngest son won't lose any eligabilty since he will only be a freshmen.
Chuck is a finalist for the Morehead job.he's said that if he goes back to high school he wants to be in or near Jefferson county.he's from J-Town,and all his family still lives there.
Chuck would be a Great Choice for the Morehead State Program.
Morehead went a different direction. What would Jewell do a PSW? Will he be an assistant?
Uh SW isn't getting rid of Stevens. So it doesn't matter. After all that went down no way SW admin admits they screwed up, even thou we all know they did.
Jackson05 Wrote:Morehead went a different direction. What would Jewell do a PSW? Will he be an assistant?

Who did Morehead hire?
Long time assistant coach Rob Tenyer
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Ive heard that since last year, and actually was the first to mention it on the site.

To be honest, i honestly thought Corbin would have made a move by now though.
If they were going to fire Jewell, i thought it would have already came. Howeveer, it wouldnt surprise me a bit to see Jewell gone and Smith at Corbin.
He's applied there before.

My thoughts.
Isnt Jewell from Somerset? Coming from former players of Stevens sounds like he doesnt know a great deal about football and I dont know how much they liked him. Not many players liked Jewell either though..
Boy Morehead really screwed up. They talk like they wanted a new direction and just recycled from their staff. I have heard they went the cheap route. Didn't want to hire someone they had to make a financial commitment to. That is why they are one of the worse ran programs in the state.
I don't think Jewell is coming to SW. I haven't heard anything about him coming at all.
I think it would be good for Corbin if chuck did come, Jewell has ran his coarse time to get new blood into a program that has been going down hill for the last couple of years, and the new distict has really shown how bad things have gotten. I was just shocked that the school board didn't fire him over the cancer stuff.
IF SW was open I would go after Chuck instead of Jewell, but from all I have heard SW isn't open and isn't going to be.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Chuck is a finalist for the Morehead job.he's said that if he goes back to high school he wants to be in or near Jefferson county.he's from J-Town,and all his family still lives there.
Did you know he was seriously considered for the Trinity head coaching spot? He is an outstanding coach and person from everyone I have talked to who knows him.:worthy::popcorn:
Jumper Dad Wrote:IF SW was open I would go after Chuck instead of Jewell, but from all I have heard SW isn't open and isn't going to be.

Great news for Jumper and Maroon fans.
Chuck should go back to Boyle and try to lift them out of mediocrity.
thsrocks Wrote:Did you know he was seriously considered for the Trinity head coaching spot? He is an outstanding coach and person from everyone I have talked to who knows him.:worthy::popcorn:

Will they reconsider him if Beatty takes a job at Western KY University?
Football is not all that important to the current superintendent, as long as Jewell is not a liability in the classroom and keeps his nose clean, he will be the coach, unless he decides to move . If the job did open, I could see former Redhound Steve Bird's name be in the mix. He was an asst. coach to Skip Holtz at South Florida, who was recently fired.
So is Smith done at UK also
Yes!
SEKYFAN Wrote:Football is not all that important to the current superintendent, as long as Jewell is not a liability in the classroom and keeps his nose clean, he will be the coach, unless he decides to move . If the job did open, I could see former Redhound Steve Bird's name be in the mix. He was an asst. coach to Skip Holtz at South Florida, who was recently fired.

Im really surprsed there hasnt been more heat on the admin from alumnis.
I know fans are a little distressed right now, but im not sure its enough. As you said, the current admin at Corbin doesnt seem to care to much.
I feel that the Varsity Club does a tremendous job for all of Corbin athletics, particularly football. However, I also feel that not having certain influential boosters living in the area any longer has hurt the program a bit. Of course it's a catch 22 because it keeps down outside pressure on coaches which allow them to do their jobs. However, on the other hand, having more hands on boosters tend to keep staff and administration on their toes because there is the whole "We're not messing around" mentality.
HAROLD Wrote:I feel that the Varsity Club does a tremendous job for all of Corbin athletics, particularly football. However, I also feel that not having certain influential boosters living in the area any longer has hurt the program a bit. Of course it's a catch 22 because it keeps down outside pressure on coaches which allow them to do their jobs. However, on the other hand, having more hands on boosters tend to keep staff and administration on their toes because there is the whole "We're not messing around" mentality.

That's a good point. The guys in charge of the Varsity Club now are pretty much "yes men" for the football coach.
You two make an excellent point.
I really hadnt thought about how many of the varsity club has kind of moved away, and to be honest, other than 2 or 3, i wouldnt even know the names now.
Who I am insinuating is not any secret. Basically what I am saying is that the Corbin ship sailed a whole lot more smoothly when an innovative mind like Vin Hoover was in town. I'm not saying that he was Corbin football but his clout, knowledge, charm, and general love for the program was a great thing to have. I liken him to a Buddy Garrity for those familiar with the TV series Friday Night Lights.
HAROLD Wrote:Who I am insinuating is not any secret. Basically what I am saying is that the Corbin ship sailed a whole lot more smoothly when an innovative mind like Vin Hoover was in town. I'm not saying that he was Corbin football but his clout, knowledge, charm, and general love for the program was a great thing to have. I liken him to a Buddy Garrity for those familiar with the TV series Friday Night Lights.

He had his ways of "attracting" players like Buddy Garrity did. :biggrin:
Is Smith looking at Danville now?
HAROLD Wrote:Who I am insinuating is not any secret. Basically what I am saying is that the Corbin ship sailed a whole lot more smoothly when an innovative mind like Vin Hoover was in town. I'm not saying that he was Corbin football but his clout, knowledge, charm, and general love for the program was a great thing to have. I liken him to a Buddy Garrity for those familiar with the TV series Friday Night Lights.

Lets be honest when Vin was there Corbin got a lot of player who should have went to other schools but Vin would talk there parents into letting their kid come to Corbin and play ball and he would get dad a job at Pepsi if that would seal the deal. That was done on serveral occasion everyone knew about it but no one cared back then.
panther nation Wrote:Lets be honest when Vin was there Corbin got a lot of player who should have went to other schools but Vin would talk there parents into letting their kid come to Corbin and play ball and he would get dad a job at Pepsi if that would seal the deal. That was done on serveral occasion everyone knew about it but no one cared back then.

Name one player's parent who got a job at Pepsi. Vin's own nephew transferred to Myrtle Beach High for his junior and senior years, where he was the starting RB on the state championship team. The QB on that team(Golson) is now the starting QB at Notre Dame
Todd Trosper for one and the ones that didn't work at Pepsi Vin would find them work some where in Corbin. Don't act like you didn't know this was going on, everyone in the tri-counties that knew anything about football knew it was going on!!