Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heisman Trophy Winner
Johnny Manziel
Very Deserving young man. Thought he done well on his speech also.
Well deserved, congrats on the first freshman to ever win.
Glad to see Manziel win it. Well deserved!
Great speech from Johnny Football. Congrats on an amazing accomplishment.
He wins it because of the win over Alabama. That's not taking anything away from him at all. But if the Heisman was voted on after the bowls, and if Manti's Golden Domers beat Bama, he should receive the Heisman!
I'm going to play hater for a minute but just hear me out...

Everyone down grades Notre Dame 12-0 record because they say easy schedule... but Johnny Manziel played SMU, South Carolina State, Arkansas, Auburn, Sam Houston State, and Missouri so..... Lets use that easy schedule against him...

OK, and Johnny Manziel played 3 games against very good teams...

Florida - 23/30, 173 yards, 0 TD's

LSU - 29/50, 276 yards, 0 TD's, 3 INT's

Then he did play good against Alabama....

But.... The only thing that really matters is who's playing on Jan 5th... MANTI!!!

OK, I'm done being a hater now.... Congrats to Johnny "Football" Manziel
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
T'eo will get the better trophy in January!
T'eo talking about how his grandmother and girlfriend died on the same day was very touching, I don't know if I could've done what he done at Michigan State.

But, Congrats to Johnny on being the first freshman to win the award! Very deserving.
Congrats to Johnny Manziel, he definitely deserved it.
Johnny Football won it and he deserved it.

The other two, not so much.
Johnny broke barriers winning it as a freshmen (redshirt), he had a great year.

With that being said, if A&M was in the Big 12, he doesn't win
If A&M loses to Alabama, he doesn't win
If ESPN didn't have that massive TV package with the SEC, he doesn't win it

That's not a knock on Johnny, that's one of the small benefits of joining the SEC.
Manziel wasn't the best QB in the SEC statistically, Murray and McCarron were better
The QBs at San Jose St. and Northern Illinois had better seasons

but, he was the best as a complete offensive weapon
^
He was also the best individual player.
If ND wins it, this will be just like the Reggie Bush/Vince Young season.
LWC Wrote:If ND wins it, this will be just like the Reggie Bush/Vince Young season.

Not really. Vince Young actually should have won the Heisman. :Thumbs:
^Arguments can be made both ways this season too.
Stardust Wrote:He wins it because of the win over Alabama. That's not taking anything away from him at all. But if the Heisman was voted on after the bowls, and if Manti's Golden Domers beat Bama, he should receive the Heisman!

It's called a "Heisman moment". Ever heard of it?

If Notre Dame doesn't go undefeated, Te'o isn't in discussion. If Kansas State wasn't so highly underrated and had such a great regular season, Colin Klein remains unheard of. We can say "if" about any of these players.

Poor argument if you're arguing against Manziel.
LWC Wrote:^Arguments can be made both ways this season too.

Sure, an argument can always be made. In my opinion and in the mind of the majority of voters, Manziel's argument was more impressive.

ESPN even showed last night that Te'o barely won the Midwest region of voting, his own backyard. Manziel won five of the six regions.

I'm not saying Te'o shouldn't have won the Heisman if ND defeats Alabama. As you insinuated, Young should have won over Bush in 2005. But up to that point, Bush had the better argument. I don't necessarily like when they choose the Heisman winner either. But up to this point, it is very difficult to make an argument for a player to win it over Manziel.
I think Vince Young proved it when he beat USC.
No disrespect to Johnny football,he's a great player,but college football is going to hell when a freshman wins the Heisman trophy.i think this award should be won as much for a career,and what bearing you had on your teams season.than gauddy statistics piled up against a weak schedule. A&M played 6 or 7 teams that were weak at best .One game won him the Heisman, the win over Bama.A&M'S defense had as much to do with that game as Manziel did.if A&M was playing for the national title i might agree with the results,but they are not they finished with 2 losses,and not in the championship picture.next thing you know we'll have a player winning it with his team having 4 or 5 losses.IMO freshman,and sophmores shouldn't even be considered for the Heisman.
Jack Lambert Wrote:No disrespect to Johnny football,he's a great player,but college football is going to hell when a freshman wins the Heisman trophy.i think this award should be won as much for a career,and what bearing you had on your teams season.than gauddy statistics piled up against a weak schedule. A&M played 6 or 7 teams that were weak at best .One game won him the Heisman, the win over Bama.A&M'S defense had as much to do with that game as Manziel did.if A&M was playing for the national title i might agree with the results,but they are not they finished with 2 losses,and not in the championship picture.next thing you know we'll have a player winning it with his team having 4 or 5 losses.IMO freshman,and sophmores shouldn't even be considered for the Heisman.

You're calling Texas A&M's schedule weak compared to that of Notre Dame's? :please: That is laughable.

Not only did Manziel have the statistics to back him up, he had a huge "Heisman moment" beating Alabama (the best team in the country) in Tuscaloosa.

Not to burst your bubble, but a Heisman trophy is given out every season. Therefore, it is based on the season you just played, not your career. Although Te'o did have an outstanding season (maybe a top ten season all time for defensive players), it wasn't enough to top what Manziel did this season (according to the majority of voters, not just me).

Look, the Heisman trophy means nothing when you're talking about winning a national championship (see Reggie Bush, Troy Smith, among many, many, many others). I don't see why people have a problem with Manziel winning it. I mean, I do, but I won't say to get all the Irish fans riled up. :biggrin:

The kid, Te'o was a great sport about Manziel winning it. Why cant you be?
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:You're calling Texas A&M's schedule weak compared to that of Notre Dame's? :please: That is laughable.

Not only did Manziel have the statistics to back him up, he had a huge "Heisman moment" beating Alabama (the best team in the country) in Tuscaloosa.

Not to burst your bubble, but a Heisman trophy is given out every season. Therefore, it is based on the season you just played, not your career. Although Te'o did have an outstanding season (maybe a top ten season all time for defensive players), it wasn't enough to top what Manziel did this season (according to the majority of voters, not just me).

Look, the Heisman trophy means nothing when you're talking about winning a national championship (see Reggie Bush, Troy Smith, among many, many, many others). I don't see why people have a problem with Manziel winning it. I mean, I do, but I won't say to get all the Irish fans riled up. :biggrin:

The kid, Te'o was a great sport about Manziel winning it. Why cant you be?

Get Real!!!

Notre Dame:

Navy - Bowl Game
Pudure - Bowl Game
Michigan State - Bowl Game
Michigan - Bowl Game
Pitt - Bowl Game
BYU - Bowl Game
Oklahoma - Bowl Game
Stanford - Bowl Game
USC - Bowl Game

Non-Bowl teams played: Miami (7-5), Boston College, and Wake Forest

Texas A&M:

Florida - Bowl Game (Manziel played bad)
LSU - Bowl Game (Manziel played bad)
Alabama - Bowl Game
SMU - Bowl Game
Miss State - Bowl Game
Ole Miss - Bowl Game

Non-Bowl teams played: South Carolina State, Missouri, Arkansas, Sam Houston State, and Auburn

Auburn, Arkansas, Missouri SEC teams but they suck just like Boston College and Wake Forest....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ But its all good... Manti playing on Jan 7th.... and my guess is Manti will be the better pro....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Notre Dame played 10 teams that are bowl eligble,A&M played 5.you do the math.It has nothing to do with Teo,i don't think freshman or sophmores should be considerd at all,i don't care who they play for.thats my opinion and i'm sticking to it.my bad SMU did get an invite to the hawaii bowl since they finished 6-6 i wouldn't even count 'em.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think Vince Young proved it when he beat USC.

His knee was down.
Let me be a hater for a minute...

Johnny Football beat Alabama and Notre Dame will fail to do that.

Johnny Football has accounted for 43 TDs this year - Notre Dame accounted for 35.

I'm done hating.

I thought this was Teo's to lose...
but you can't really argue with either of them.
I felt sorry for Klein...
making the trip to NY and knowing that he had no shot had to suck.
It's an honor to even be mentioned...
but he had to feel awkward.
zaga_fan Wrote:Let me be a hater for a minute...

Johnny Football beat Alabama and Notre Dame will fail to do that.

Johnny Football has accounted for 43 TDs this year - Notre Dame accounted for 35.

I'm done hating.

I thought this was Teo's to lose...
but you can't really argue with either of them.
I felt sorry for Klein...
making the trip to NY and knowing that he had no shot had to suck.
It's an honor to even be mentioned...
but he had to feel awkward.

That statement is a big plus for Manti..... Manti's team only scored 35 TD's and they still went 12-0.... Because he plays DEF...

Manti made the plays for his team to go 12-0.... 3 goal line stands.... Johnny Manziel played bad in two games and his team lost those games....

Its the best player all year.... and that is Manti.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ekff, come on.

All those teams other than Oklahoma and Stanford are mediocre.

Texas A&M played three top ten teams. That's exactly three more than Notre Dame. Notre Dame had a great undefeated season (as I have said before), but they struggled to win games at home against average competition. I know they won the close games..that's what championship teams do..blah, blah, blah. The simple fact of the matter is that Manziel's season was more impressive than Te'o's.

My arguments are unbiased and I understand that you are a true fan, but you are being pretty darn biased here. Just give credit where credit is do.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Notre Dame played 10 teams that are bowl eligble,A&M played 5.you do the math.It has nothing to do with Teo,i don't think freshman or sophmores should be considerd at all,i don't care who they play for.thats my opinion and i'm sticking to it.my bad SMU did get an invite to the hawaii bowl since they finished 6-6 i wouldn't even count 'em.

You just wont count anything will you? lol
The Heisman has lost some of it's luster over the years, especially since 4000+ people have a vote and ESPN has a year long Heisman watch. It's still one of the highest honors in college football, but some of these newspaper, TV, and radio clowns need to lose their ballots. Make it a total surprise again