WR: Cole Wilson 6'2" 185(Sr)
TE:
T:
G:JW Cooper 5'11"210 (Sr)
C: William Banks 6'2" 215 (Sr)
G:Justin Hensley 6'1"340 (Sr)
T: Zach Caldwell 6'3" 260 (Jr)

OTHER EXPERIENCED RETURNERS:

21 Zach Chitwood RB/WR/ 6' 165 (Sr); 58 Gary Henson OL 5'11 210 (Jr) Jason Whitehead, Zach Jenkins, Hunter Lewis, Fred Massey, Bobby Huff, Nick Cornett, Devon Daniels

Defensvie Returners: (6)

DE: 2 Cole Wilson
DL Mark Messer
DL:
DL:
DE:
LB: Carson Whitehead
LB:
LB:
CB: Treyvon Long
CB: Zach Chitwood
S: Scotty Bailey

Fred Massey, Devon Daniels, Kelin Gist, Zach Jenkins, Derrick Akal, Zach Caldwell, William Banks, JW Cooper.
bigguy989 Wrote:Offense Returners: (8)

QB: Scotty Bailey 6'1" 190 (Sr)
RB: Treyvon Long 5'5" 145 (Sr)
FB: Carson Whitehead 6'1"205 (Sr)
RB:
WR: Cole Wilson 6'2" 185(Sr)
TE:
T:
G:JW Cooper 5'11"210 (Sr)
C: William Banks 6'2" 215 (Sr)
G:Justin Hensley 6'1"340 (Sr)
T: Zach Caldwell 6'3" 260 (Jr)

21 Zach Chitwood RB/WR/ 6' 165 (Sr); 58 Gary Henson OL 5'11 210 (Jr) Jason Whitehead, Zach Jenkins, Hunter Lewis, Fred Massey, Bobby Huff, Nick Cornett, Devon Daniels

Defensvie Returners: (6)

DE: 2 Cole Wilson
DL Mark Messer
DL:
DL:
DE:
LB: Carson Whitehead
LB:
LB:
CB: Treyvon Long
CB: Zach Chitwood
S: Scotty Bailey

Fred Massey, Devon Daniels, Kelin Gist, Zach Jenkins, Derrick Akal, Zach Caldwell, William Banks, JW Cooper.

If you all can enhance your passing game and become more of a balanced offense I will tell you right now that you would be one of the strongest teams in 5A.

When we played you all (Cooper) we knew how tough of a running game you had, but if your passing game was more succesful I don't think there is a team in the state that could overlook you all as a contender for the 2013 title.
That's a very good junior class and the sophomores didn't lose in JV games this season.
I think Harlan County is one of the top teams in 5A with or without more of a passing game. It wouldn't hurt though, as long as they don't get away from what has worked so well so far.
Looking for Devin Daniels to make an impact on both sides of the ball.

Gist, Daniels, Chitwood, and Massey will get time in the backfield.

Massey played DE quite abit (Dylon Smith/Marcus McMillian mold). I would like to see stay there with Cole Wilson on the other side. Chitwood could move to LB! Hunter Lewis played nose guard in middle school but has played LB on the freshman and JV teams. Bobby Huff fits the mold of a Kainer Caudill nose guard.
2013 SCHEDULE:

@Madison Central (Roy Kidd Bowl)
Clay Co.
Belfry
?
? (Johnson Central????)
@Greenville TN
Letcher Central
@Whitley
Perry Central
@Bell
Sure would like to see KNOX fill in that Question Mark!
I expected HC to be better next year then they were this year, so it wouldnt surprise me a bit to see them back in Bowling Green in 2013.

Whitley should be able to make it interesting in 2014.
Our schedule keeps dwindling and we keep driving!!
That's okay though.

I hate to see the Lee Co game dropped; for whatever reason. The games haven't been competitive, I admit, but they have the best homeade chili for the hotdogs that I've ever tasted!!! AND less than an hour's drive!!!
Need to ad Ryle or Cov,Cath only going to help come playoff time
HDE Wrote:That's a very good junior class and the sophomores didn't lose in JV games this season.
I think Harlan County is one of the top teams in 5A with or without more of a passing game. It wouldn't hurt though, as long as they don't get away from what has worked so well so far.
I agree, you can't move away from your strengths and that is your running game. What I meant when I said you need to improve on the passing game was because you need something else to draw on when the game calls for it. The Running game will always be your bread and butter with this team, but if you fall behind in games by more than 1 score you have to have a way to move the ball quickly when the clock is against you.

That is hwy a passing game would only make a very good team even better.
It's a lot tougher to defend a 2 dimensional offense than it is a one dimensional offense. From what I saw, you all have the athletes to make for a very good 2 dimensional offense but it just looked like because they haven't really needed it throughout the season much they didn't work on the passing side of the offense as much as maybe they needed to. It could only improve the team.

When you face a team like BG that can score quickly when pressed to, you need to be able to do the same.

I think you all will be very good no matter what the coaches decide to do on the offensive side of the ball, I hope we get to meet again next year because you all were a first class program and we really enjoyed getting to know the fans of Harlan Co. Good luck in 2013!!
With the slew of running backs coming back for HC just dont see that Middleton type that can handle a pounding like that kid did maybe Massey he has the body and can move also. Long, Chitwood and Wilson can break it anytime. I really believe that we passed a little more than usual down the stretch and with more time to work with it I think they have alot of options and it will be a fun season to watch.
bigguy989 Wrote:With the slew of running backs coming back for HC just dont see that Middleton type that can handle a pounding like that kid did maybe Massey he has the body and can move also. Long, Chitwood and Wilson can break it anytime. I really believe that we passed a little more than usual down the stretch and with more time to work with it I think they have alot of options and it will be a fun season to watch.

We still have Carson Whitehead. I know he can handle the pounding.
The Black Bears should be downright nasty on offense with the experience on the line and 3/4 of their backfield.

Judging by what they are losing in the Front 7 on defense, and what Belfry is losing on theirs... that early season showdown may be a track meet.
Oh yea he can take it but I really dont want him to have to take that much until we need him to. This kid is a beast and a great kid to go with that.
Patriot Wrote:Sure would like to see KNOX fill in that Question Mark!

As would the panther nation but to my understanding Knox want fill the spot do to having to play both bell and Harlan in back to back weeks and coach Russell didn't want to do that. But I think if your going to be the best in the mountains you need to play the best. I think I can only make you better.
panther nation Wrote:As would the panther nation but to my understanding Knox want fill the spot do to having to play both bell and Harlan in back to back weeks and coach Russell didn't want to do that. But I think if your going to be the best in the mountains you need to play the best. I think I can only make you better.

It didn't really have to be back to back. HC had all kinds of dates open. They still have two 3 and 6 so there is no way both those weeks would have been back to back with Bell.
Anxious to see who steps up on Defense. I thought we were in trouble when the 2010 defensive starters graduated but there has always been Black Bears ready to step up!

I think Devin Daniels will turn be the next bruising running back. Chitwood, Long, Wilson, will get most of the carriers but Whitehead sure came on in the playoffs running the ball!
I agree with what people are saying about HC passing game, that doesnt mean to abandon the run but when you can throw the ball even a little it will keep the defense guessing, instead of telling them we are gonna run and dare you to stop us..Mix in some screens, and short passes with their awesome running game and you've got something special and hard to defend....
Granny Bear Wrote:Our schedule keeps dwindling and we keep driving!!
That's okay though.

I hate to see the Lee Co game dropped; for whatever reason. The games haven't been competitive, I admit, but they have the best homeade chili for the hotdogs that I've ever tasted!!! AND less than an hour's drive!!!

Sounds like grounds for a lawsuit. But I tell you what. Several years ago, they had some pretty fine chili on the hot dogs at the Dairy Hut in Harlan.
HHellBird Wrote:If you all can enhance your passing game and become more of a balanced offense I will tell you right now that you would be one of the strongest teams in 5A.

When we played you all (Cooper) we knew how tough of a running game you had, but if your passing game was more succesful I don't think there is a team in the state that could overlook you all as a contender for the 2013 title.

No offense to you HHellbird but I'm not sure you know the whole story, I mean you saw a WR playing Qb and while he did very well leading us to many victories he isn't or has never been known as someone who can jus light up the passin yardage.
Our starting Qb was injured and we basically did not have a backup, to my knowledge bailey had never played there in high school. Still he did a great job but he could not pass accurately enough that I saw to have muh faith in. Our original Qb according to khsaa was 29-39 for 400 yards through the six games he got to pass in. That's 75% completion percentage and threw for about 70 yards a game with around 7 passes per game at the same while Harlan county led the entire state in rushing. Our QB could also run very well so a bunch of times you could tell that he'd roll out to throw but ran instead when he was open.
I have faith the coaches know what they are doing, they've after all turned us into a mtn powerhouse.
Still have great hot dogs and slaw dogs!
After a whole offseason of working with Coach Creech Scotty will be primed for a spectacular Senior year under center!
^^Yeah i'm hoping coach Creech works with Scottie this offseason. its easy to forget he had to take over at QB from playing WR, with the right work in the offseason i believe he can have an awesome 2013 season with the other talent coming back..
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:Sounds like grounds for a lawsuit. But I tell you what. Several years ago, they had some pretty fine chili on the hot dogs at the Dairy Hut in Harlan.

They still do!!!

I just loved Lee Co, though. They are the "Generals" so they have this magnficent horse that they will run whenever they score. I just like all the pageantry over there; it's kinda like walking back in time for a few years...in a very good way.

Speaking to some of the other comments, I can't believe Carson Whitehead is listed at 6'1"!! That child plays a whole lot bigger than what his stats show. Also, Scotty Bailey continues to amaze me. I didn't talk about it very much throughout the season, because everyone has "adjustments" they must make. BUT losing your senior QB 2/3 of the way through the season is somethng from which I wasn't sure we could recover. Bailey steps in like he's been there the whole year! Yeah, he may have been rusty with passing skills but he stepped up and played like a seasoned pro! That is what will differenciate the Bears, I believe, in future contests....their ability to adjust and make it work.
Granny Bear Wrote:They still do!!!

I just loved Lee Co, though. They are the "Generals" so they have this magnficent horse that they will run whenever they score. I just like all the pageantry over there; it's kinda like walking back in time for a few years...in a very good way.

Speaking to some of the other comments, I can't believe Carson Whitehead is listed at 6'1"!! That child plays a whole lot bigger than what his stats show. Also, Scotty Bailey continues to amaze me. I didn't talk about it very much throughout the season, because everyone has "adjustments" they must make. BUT losing your senior QB 2/3 of the way through the season is somethng from which I wasn't sure we could recover. Bailey steps in like he's been there the whole year! Yeah, he may have been rusty with passing skills but he stepped up and played like a seasoned pro! That is what will differenciate the Bears, I believe, in future contests....their ability to adjust and make it work.

That's good to know. I figured I'd kid with you about the "grounds for a lawsuit." You made me want to try a Lee Co. hot dog with lots of chili. But I would certainly settle for one from the Dairy Hut!
^^
Just as long as you have one of their cherry cokes (or diet cokes) to go along with it!!
:yum:
Granny Bear Wrote:^^
Just as long as you have one of their cherry cokes (or diet cokes) to go along with it!!
:yum:

Granny, can you even think of eating one without their coke? I just ate and it still makes me hungry for one to think about it.TongueoliceLig
HDE Wrote:That's a very good junior class and the sophomores didn't lose in JV games this season.
I dont think there is any chance they get away from what has worked so far! But IMO if they do not commit to developing somewhat of a reasonably effective passing game to make the offense more balanced, the Regional championship will be our State Championship game next year and any other year!! 1-6 for 31 yards and 2 int's for HC compared to 10-16 for 147 yds and no int's for Cooper was a huge difference in the semifinal game this year...
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:I dont think there is any chance they get away from what has worked so far! But IMO if they do not commit to developing somewhat of a reasonably effective passing game to make the offense more balanced, the Regional championship will be our State Championship game next year and any other year!! 1-6 for 31 yards and 2 int's for HC compared to 10-16 for 147 yds and no int's for Cooper was a huge difference in the semifinal game this year...
I whole heartedly agree with you black bear cuz..Like i said earlier if they could at least throw a few screens, or short gain passes, it would keep the defense guessing and stop some of the loading the box on us....They can do this and keep the bread and butter that makes them successful which is the running game, its easy to forget that this year we lost our starting QB and scotty had to step in and while he done a terrific job, i'm really hoping he puts in the work during the offseason with coach Creech and comes out throwing next season.. I think they can make it to BG next year if they can stay healthy and throw the ball somewhat. Dont have to throw a bomb every play but at least keep the defense guessing and on their toes.....
I believe they will be one of the top 3 teams in 5A next year. They also may have the best LB in the state. If you have not seen the Whitehead kid play, you need to make the trip to Harlan Co.
  • 1(current)
  • Next