Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bowling Green vs. Cooper (5A State Championship) 12/1
Thoughts?

3:00 PM
Cooper played a great game against Harlan Co and looked very good, but Bowling Green will just be too much for them.

Cooper 14

Bowling Green 42
Early in the year I would have said BG easy, but they have been far from impressive last 2 weeks. Cooper has a shot to win this game.
BG 31 Cooper 17.
Bowling Green beat a soft John Hardin team on chicanery. I look for Cooper to win by 2tds. Northern Ky football > Western Ky football.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Bowling Green beat a soft John Hardin team on chicanery. I look for Cooper to win by 2tds. Northern Ky football > Western Ky football.

Not in 1A. I agree with about the rest.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Not in 1A. I agree with about the rest.

Apologies to Mayfield. Great team! Enjoyably to watch. Saw the 1st half last night. Best team in 1a and 2a!
I count Mayfield as a Missouri team.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Bowling Green beat a soft John Hardin team on chicanery. I look for Cooper to win by 2tds. Northern Ky football > Western Ky football.

That soft John Hardin team were 13-0 and beat a very good Boyle County team by 20. I believe your Birds beat them by 21. Congratulations.
Bowling Green by 14
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Not in 1A. I agree with about the rest.

I'm a little surprised by your post. I understand you might not be a Purple fan, but I think John Hardin was a better team than the Warren Central team that beat Mayfield and we beat them twice. I will still be pulling for your Cardinals to beat Fairview. With the schedule the Purples have played, I just don't think Cooper is better than Bowling Green, but that will be decided on the field. Do you really think Cooper is going to beat the Purples by 2 TD's?
adopted purple Wrote:That soft John Hardin team were 13-0 and beat a very good Boyle County team by 20. I believe your Birds beat them by 21. Congratulations.

John Hardin finds out what good is again next year when Highlands pastes them by 30.
Bowling Green.
I would love nothing more than to see my Cooper Jaguars bring back the state title, but if I had to pick the winner I would pick BG.

BG has been one of the top 2 teams in the state all year long and have done nothing to sway that opinion thus far.

With that said, what Cooper has done this year is incredible. For those that don't know the what they have accomplished so far, I will give you the short version.

The school is only 5 years old, it didn't replace other schools in the area, it was an additional school added. Which meant for the first couple years any senior that was districted to Cooper could opt out and remain at their current school which meant the varsity football team was made up primarily of Freshman and Sophomores and they played in 6A. They only won 6 games in their first 3 years combined. They never won a district game nor had they ever beaten any of the other 3 schools in the county.

Last year they were moved to 5A and started making school history, they not only won their first district game, but went undefeated in district. They lost their first ever playoff game last year.

This year they went 9-1 in the regular season and finished with a district record of 3-1 which tied 2 other teams in the district,although the other 2 teams had a worse overall record, because of the tie breaker rules Cooper was given the #3 seed in district, even though the #1 and #2 seeds had worst season records. So in only their 5th season Cooper had to go on the road throughout the playoffs.

They started on the road against Anderson Co who averaged over 37 points a game and shut out the higher seeded AC 48-0. The next week they had to face #1 seed South Oldham and handed them a loss for the second time this year. Then the Jags for the third week in a row had to go on the road as they faced another #1 seed in undefeated team in Franklin Co. Who averaged 59 points a game the entire season. Cooper prevailed and held FC to under 30 points for the first time all season. They won their very first regional championship in school history.

Last night they had to for the fourth time in four weeks had to go on the road again, a 4 hour bus ride to Harlan Co. As they played one of the toughest defenses they have faced all year and came out victorious to win a trip to face Bowling Green in the state finals.

In KHSAA history, no team who finished the season with a 9-1 record has ever had to play 5 playoff games on the road and this team in only their 5th year in existence has done just that.

Yes, I am a little proud of what they have accomplished this year, and no matter if they win or lose this Saturday, all the new friends we have met this post season from all the great fans of the teams we've played, just know that we are going to Bowling Green for not only us, but for you all too. Great fans at Anderson Co., south Oldham, Franklin Co, and the great folks of Harlan Co. Last night, we are playing for all of you folks also. You all have been so kind to us when we visited your facilities for these games and we will do our best to win this game for all of us.

I don't think I'd want it any other way, another game on the road against a higher seeded team. Cooper has no superstars on their team, they haven't won any individual awards, no D1 recruits, just a team full of kids that love eachother and play as one unit. They have had one of the best defenses in the area yet still were overlooked by many. They were not even ranked as one of the top teams in the area Pre season, yet here they are about to play for the State Championship. So no matter what happens, this team has become the model to which all other Cooper teams in the future will be measured.

Good luck Jags, One Team, One Dream

We are Cooper
Wish Copper would schedule Highlands.
Really. I think you will be surprised at John Hardin's "soft" defense next year but I have you down as Highlands winning by 30. We will see. And yes, I think BG is better than Highlands.
tradition Wrote:Wish Copper would schedule Highlands.

I'd rather them start with Cov Cath and see where they stand.
Go Cooper!!! Randy Borchers easily coach of the year

Bowling Green by 14
hoss403 Wrote:Really. I think you will be surprised at John Hardin's "soft" defense next year but I have you down as Highlands winning by 30. We will see. And yes, I think BG is better than Highlands.

I remember John Hardin had the best D in the state in "09 . Highlands had the better "team" in the state '09.

I remember many of late summers and early falls hearing about Bowling Green was going to be the team to beat that year. Bowling Green was going to win state. Only in early December rolling into Louisville and Bowling Green was nowhere to be found.

Yes I remember being beating by Bowling Green, but it does go both ways and I would love nothing more than to be playing Bowling Green these days. Funny how that hasn't happened.

It seems the years that Highlands and Bowling Green could have should have shown up together at the state championship game , someone just didn't cover their end of the bargin.:biggrin:
Highlands has been invited to Bowling Green's Raffertys Bowl and respectfully declined.
BG 44
Cooper 12
Bg 56- c 7
:thatsfunn:thatsfunnConfusednicker:

I get cracked up at some of the unrealistic point spreads people come up with.
Bowling Green 28

Cooper 20

I think bowling green is a 8 to 10 point favorites here.
Cooper wins in a close one----Cooper 21 BG 17
Cooper wins 28-24.
hoss403 Wrote:Really. I think you will be surprised at John Hardin's "soft" defense next year but I have you down as Highlands winning by 30. We will see. And yes, I think BG is better than Highlands.

Whatakes you say that? Have you seen both play the last two weeks? Or are you just picking BG because you like them?
BG has knocked my team out of the playoffs the last two years so to answer your question sstack, no I do not like BG at all. But IMO they are one of the top two teams in the state from watching what they did to my team. As for the game, BG 38 Cooper 17
HHellBird,

Cooper will not be overlooked by BG. They better come with their 'A' game if they want the big trophy and not the runnerup trophy.
Alright, here is the way I see it. If BG doesn't make adjustments and get angry after Fri, they will be in trouble. If they get a belly full of anger and decide to wake up, they can't be beat. I think in fact that it could get ugly if they get angry about how they played Fri. Good luck to both teams and may God keep you all injury free.