Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands vs. Collins (4A State Championship) 11/30
Thoughts?

7:00 PM
Highlands wins!! Everyone knew going into this season who would win 4a there isn't a 4a team in the state that can beat them the only way they lose is if they bear themselves. 55-14
Running clock
sstack Wrote:Running clock

clock arunning
FTH. No contest.
Highlands isn't even capable of beating themselves against this outfit. I think dale will call off the dogs early to get the younger guys a taste of the finals.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Highlands isn't even capable of beating themselves against this outfit. I think dale will call off the dogs early to get the younger guys a taste of the finals.

Dale does not want to embarrass a team in the finals. Look for them to put the game away early and then sub heavy in second half.
Highlands wins by 21.
E's Army Wrote:Highlands wins by 21.

Highlands will be up more than 21 after a quarter.
Running clock, second quarter. Go ahead and order the rings!!!
It will a great experience to play in the state championship regardless of the final score. Not many kids get to do that, we are just trying to enjoy the moment. Collins players have great respect for the Highlands team/program. We will get a good look at Highlands, see what a championship program looks like, maybe we get beat pretty bad, but next year we just may have the pieces to pick-off a great team/program like Highlands. We lose just few seniors. I think that our starting line-up in 2013 will match-up well with the starters on Highlands, but the difference is usually 2-3 deep, injuries, everything has to come together at the right time at the end of the year. Regardless of what happens next week, you can't take away what Collins has accomplished in such a short-time. Congrats to Highlands on their season and program.
SimpTitan Wrote:It will a great experience to play in the state championship regardless of the final score. Not many kids get to do that, we are just trying to enjoy the moment. Collins players have great respect for the Highlands team/program. We will get a good look at Highlands, see what a championship program looks like, maybe we get beat pretty bad, but next year we just may have the pieces to pick-off a great team/program like Highlands. We lose just few seniors. I think that our starting line-up in 2013 will match-up well with the starters on Highlands, but the difference is usually 2-3 deep, injuries, everything has to come together at the right time at the end of the year. Regardless of what happens next week, you can't take away what Collins has accomplished in such a short-time. Congrats to Highlands on their season and program.

Very classy and mature post.

I'm sure the Collins players will play hard regardless of the outcome and score. That is all anyone should hope for and expect from any high school player on any high school team. Congrats to Collins. I'll be pulling for the Birds this Friday night, but the Collins players and coaches need to be commended for what they've done this season no matter what the outcome of the game is Friday.
The one thing Collins has going for them is class. Class on the field and classy fans. I personally don't expect a running clock and think the game will be much closer than the Highlands Homers think. I think Coach Mueller will give Collins more respect than their fans. Good luck to both teams.
Highlands by 28
adopted purple Wrote:The one thing Collins has going for them is class. Class on the field and classy fans. I personally don't expect a running clock and think the game will be much closer than the Highlands Homers think. I think Coach Mueller will give Collins more respect than their fans. Good luck to both teams.

I don't expect Collins to win Friday night, it sure would be great if they did, but I don't expect a running clock either. Collins isn't as good as Highlands, no one in 4A is, but I think that Collins will put up a fight. Highlands may win big, but I think that the Titans will be able to keep it respectable. All of Titan Nation is very excited for Friday. Even if Collins is a big underdog, they are playing in the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP! They have represented their community very well and I'm sure they will do the same Friday night.
It will be a privilege to play Highlands, like getting to play Trinity. Perhaps Highlands would have beaten Trinity last night? I noticed Highlands manhandled Scott Cty earlier in the year. Again, hope it is a good, injury-free game. Highlands and Collins can both be proud of what they have accomplished this year.
adopted purple Wrote:The one thing Collins has going for them is class. Class on the field and classy fans. I personally don't expect a running clock and think the game will be much closer than the Highlands Homers think. I think Coach Mueller will give Collins more respect than their fans. Good luck to both teams.

As a Highlands alum, I always hope for a good game, with both teams leaving it all on the field. It would be great if it came down to a score at the end of regulation, with Highlands winning. That is what a state championship game should be. However as a realist, I think it will be over by halftime. Highlands wins this one by at least 21.

Congratulations to Martha Layne Collins High School for all you have accomplished in such a short time. You have made a name for yourselves and set the standard high for the upcoming players. May your program thrive.

Congratulations to Highlands for another great season. The sixth consecutive state championship game has only been accomplished by one other program. You are in a class of your own, even for the Highlands program. Well done.

GO BIRDS!!!
Collins run or pass
rebel 4 life Wrote:Collins run or pass

Both. They have 2681 yards rushing and 2825 yards passing.
Highlands.

Wonder how Bowling Green would do against Collins?
Birds will be respectful friday night and alot of kids will get to play in their first state title game in preps for a seventh straight next season.
Looking forward to this game. Don't know much about Collins, other than I went to UK when Martha's daughter was there, but just from the post , they sound like a class act.

Not going to be so bold to say Highlands is going to walk into this game and easily step away with another trophy. Collins didn't get to the Championship game on a whim. They are going to come out ready and wanting to win. Collins hasn't been there and are ready to do whatever it takes to win. Lay it all on the line. Highlands has been there done that and that is what makes me nervous.

I know Highlands can win this game, however, I will never count out the other man that will do whatever to pull the upset.
E's Army Wrote:Highlands wins by 21.

What? The first quarter ??
Wise one Wrote:.

Congratulations to Highlands for another great season. The sixth consecutive state championship game has only been accomplished by one other program. You are in a class of your own, even for the Highlands program. Well done.

GO BIRDS!!!

It has actually never been done, according to KHSAA records. The max consecutive as of 2011, is a tie between Boyle County (1999-2003) and Highlands (2007-2011). A win by Highlands at BG next Friday would give Highlands an unprecedented six consecutive state titles and 22 total. HHS has also won state titles in four out of the six classes.
skycvg Wrote:It has actually never been done, according to KHSAA records. The max consecutive as of 2011, is a tie between Boyle County (1999-2003) and Highlands (2007-2011). A win by Highlands at BG next Friday would give Highlands an unprecedented six consecutive state titles and 22 total. HHS has also won state titles in four out of the six classes.

Reread my comment, I said 'The sixth consecutive state championship game has only been accomplished by one other program.' No where it that does it say won six consecutive state championship games. It meant IN six consecutive state championship games. I am not assuming that they have already won the game. It has been done before. Boyle County was in six consecutive state championship games from 1999-2004, Boyle County won the first five and lost to Highlands in the sixth.

However, I have to admit to making a mistake. Trinity has been IN 8 consecutive championship games. They won 4A in 2005 and 2006. They won 6A in 2007 and 2008. They were runner up in 6A in 2009 and then won 6A in 2010 and 2011. Now in 2012, is their 8th consecutive championship game.

Never the less, the Birds are in very rare territory.
I think when it gets to a point where every year "just about" you know who is going to win the championship before the season even starts and even in the championship you know it's going to be over by the half then it's time to make a change. I don't know if this is even possible or not but, can Highlands move up a class or something like that. I know I have heard of people going down a class before. You would think the coaches and players of Highlands would get board of beating up on people every year and would like to be challlenged from time to time. Just think about the bragging rights if you were to move up a class and then win the championship.

:pondering:
When Highlands won the 5A championships, they were playing up a class. At last realignment, because there were enough local schools with 4A enrollment to create a district, KHSAA moved Highlands to 4A. (No, it was not Highlands' decision to move to avoid Bowling Green as some of the BG fans have been fond of saying.) It would be doubtful that the KHSAA would allow Highlands to move up unless there were not enough local 4A schools. BTW, Highlands is one of the smallest schools in 4A.

It would make things more interesting if they moved, though only if Cov Cath came with them!
Wise one Wrote:Reread my comment, I said 'The sixth consecutive state championship game has only been accomplished by one other program.' No where it that does it say won six consecutive state championship games. It meant IN six consecutive state championship games. I am not assuming that they have already won the game. It has been done before. Boyle County was in six consecutive state championship games from 1999-2004, Boyle County won the first five and lost to Highlands in the sixth.

However, I have to admit to making a mistake. Trinity has been IN 8 consecutive championship games. They won 4A in 2005 and 2006. They won 6A in 2007 and 2008. They were runner up in 6A in 2009 and then won 6A in 2010 and 2011. Now in 2012, is their 8th consecutive championship game.

Never the less, the Birds are in very rare territory.

I stand corrected. May have been better worded as "playing" or "participating" in six consecutive.... It was not taken as they had already won number 6, but I took it as a school had won 6 consecutive previously.
Collins seems like a bunch of tough, skilled young guys. I think it will take a crazy long shot for this team to hang the whole game with Highlands though.

I noticed on KHSAA that their rushing and receiving leaders are also tackle and interception leaders. I salute Collins for running both ways with young guns and gettn to the show. but they cant do that against Highlands. Ashland was a great team, but they started 8-9 guys both ways and it was just too much. Highlands is 2 platoon, and deep on both platoons. everyone is fresh after the game. If Collins has a thunderous FB type of RB they can hang into the second half, thats the Highlands weak-spot.

Seriously watch out for Collins next year though. doesnt look like they graduate that much and theyve accomplished a lot as a junior heavy team.