• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Coaching Rumors
The search for Kentucky's next head football coach continues to work its way through the process with a variety of names popping up in potential connection with the job.

Who could be the coach to replace Joker Phillips? Will they come with extensive prior head coaching experience, an up-and-coming college coordinator, or perhaps someone with National Football League ties?

CatsPause.com gets you caught up on the latest rumblings we're hearing as the search draws closer to entering its second week:

>>>Continue to hear that it's unlikely a new coach is named before Dec. 1 unless a deal is struck with someone who isn't currently in coaching. Yes, there is a bit of a urgency to make a hire before schools like Auburn and Tennessee officially jump into the fray, but the desire to get the hire right is more important than the one to do it quickly. Kentucky knows it can't afford to hire the wrong guy and a rush to name someone just to name someone would only intensify the pressure he'd face the word go.

>>>Two interesting names I heard from a source this week fit the profile that has been rumored to be Mitch Barnhart's starting point, which involves head coaches who have won at the highest level of college football. Both have taken teams to BCS bowl games. They are Boise State's Chris Petersen and TCU's Gary Patterson. I don't see obvious reasons Patterson would leave TCU for Kentucky, but Petersen could be an interesting candidate. Perhaps he has an itch to venture outside of the Boise cocoon.

>>>The concept of hiring an NFL coordinator also continues to surface in conversations I've had with sources. Going that route isn't always successful but if you find the right guy who could thrive in a college environment and surround himself with proven recruiters there is some merit to it. Josh McDaniels and Dirk Koetter have been mentioned. Makes one wonder if Barnhart could have met with Koetter to discuss the job while he was in the Atlanta area for Tuesday's Kentucky-Duke game?

>>>Speaking of NFL ties we've heard that of the calls Barnhart made to judge interest in the job there was one person with NFL head coaching experience who didn't explicitly say no: Tony Dungy. It's unclear if Dungy would actually seriously entertain the idea but it's still out there in some circles.

>>>The Bobby Petrino stuff that picked up steam over the weekend appears to be more wishful thinking than reality. There are some boosters who are pushing him, but there really isn't much in the way of credible evidence that Petrino is near the top of Kentucky's list at this point and both Barnhart and UK president Eli Calilouto don't want to go down that road. Obviously former UK basketball coach Joe B. Hall is interested in Petrino coming to Lexington, because it increases the chances that his son-in-law Mike Summers will remain in town. Summers worked with Petrino at Louisville, with the Atlanta Falcons and also at Arkansas.

>>>Haven't been able to confirm with multiple sources but there are rumblings that potential candidate Sonny Dykes, who at one point was thought to eventually be the guy who would land in Lexington, has said no thanks and pulled his name from consideration. We'll update that if/when more info surfaces to prove that rumor true or not.

>>>One person who was called about the UK opening was former Oregon coach and current ESPN analyst Mike Bellotti. Bellotti hired Chip Kelly to be his offensive coordinator before Bellotti moved into the AD role at Oregon. Bellotti told UK he was not interested in the position at this time.

>>>Another name that's generated some buzz in the last 24 hours is Gary Andersen. The Utah State coach has quietly done a fantastic job improving the Aggies' program and could be a very good off-the-radar hire. One major question though is how he'd handle a move to the southeast given nearly his entire playing and coaching career has been in Utah/Arizona/Idaho.

>>>As for the Phil Fulmer rumblings, he appears to be somewhat of a soft landing if Kentucky is unable to land any of its top candidates. He does not appear to be a serious player at this point. Sights are being set higher.

Make sure you check back into the House of Blue in the morning for this week's Cats' Confidential for another name that might find its way into the conversation.

This post was edited by Matt May on 11/15/2012 at 4:38 PM

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Board/Topic/296/14025249
WHY IS PHIL FULMER LOW ON OUR LIST!?!?! He is probably out best option, and he is low on our list.. well I thought when we got rid of Joker, we got rid of the stupidity, but obviously not.
[Image:

]
^ Actually I wouldn't want Fulmer unless we can't get anyone better, If all the top name coaches say no (Smart, Patterson, Peterson, Rich Rod, etc. etc.) and Fulmer was better than the other coaches that are left then yes take Fulmer but don't take him unless you know for sure that the big name coaches aren't coming and last I heard Rich Rod was atop of Mitch Barnhart's list. I'm actually surprised that Sonny Dykes has pulled his name out of the search, if those rumblings stand true.

All we can do is wait and see.
Fulmer is not the right choice, in any way.
Neither is Rich Fraud.

Petrino is the only way to go.
I am hearing that the person on the top of the list is Rich Rodriguez. Would fit all the things that I am hearing in that it will be a west coast guy and a big name.
M'boroYellowJacket Wrote:WHY IS PHIL FULMER LOW ON OUR LIST!?!?! He is probably out best option, and he is low on our list.. well I thought when we got rid of Joker, we got rid of the stupidity, but obviously not.

You live way to close to the border,I believe they been brainwashing you.
citykat Wrote:I am hearing that the person on the top of the list is Rich Rodriguez. Would fit all the things that I am hearing in that it will be a west coast guy and a big name.

He has already proved he can't coach bigboy football.
Peterson!!!!!!!

I've been screaming it.

Why would he leave Boise? Besides the headache from looking at that blue turf.

He has accomplished about all he can in Boise. Even in the new playoff alignment with the BCS dropping the Big East as an Automatic he is still on the outside looking in. They will never get a shot in Boise. At least Kentucky is in the SEC and if he can repeat what he has done with the Broncos he would own this state.

Peterson !!!!!!!!!
^
Peterson is a joke.
Get that Boise garbage out of here.

Petrino.
^You have lost your ever loving mind.
Peterson!!!!
^
If you werent a mod and could change it right back, id swear id change that to Petrino Confusednicker:
Ah, the power of the edit.
^
Its great until you meet an equal force Confusednicker:
After hearing Les Miles post game news conference this morning I think we should give him the keys to the state.
Josh McDaniels would be a nice fit. The guy from Western Ky.
insideinfo Wrote:After hearing Les Miles post game news conference this morning I think we should give him the keys to the state.

He already has the keys he needs, makes bank, and I'm sure is very happy....same way UK needs to make this hire feel to build a new program!
insideinfo Wrote:You live way to close to the border,I believe they been brainwashing you.

Yeah, I'm brainwashed because I want a coach with a history of winning, and being very successful.

Personally for me I would want someone that we already know can win in the SEC, and not someone from like LA Tech or Western Kentucky. Their coaches win.. in nobody conferences! Do these coaches that we want have what it takes to win in the SEC? If not, we don't want them. As for Phil Fulmer, we have already saw that he does.
[Image:

]
Kentucky has reportedly offered Cincinnati Head Coach Butch Jones.

5 years, 16.2 Million

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=122004
Another site in Cincy is saying this report is false. So we will have to see.
Holy crap....say it aint so! He's good for the midwest and UC...but not UK and SEC recruiting.

I'm going to need to buy some depends if this is true!
UK Spokesperson is saying it's false. Butch just maybe trying to get Tennessee to offer before Kentucky.
Per UKathletics on Twitter

Quote:Kentucky Athletics ‏@UKAthleticsNews

UK has not offered the football head coaching position to anyone.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite
I kind of like Jones but.....

Peterson!!!!!!!!!

Jones would be right behind Smart and Taggert.
I like Jones. I think he would be a solid hire. UK is denying it but it could be where Cincinnati has games left including a bowl game. Usually where there's smoke there's fire. So we will have to wait and see.
http://bearcatsnation.com/2012/11/18/coa...-kentucky/

Butch is a winner, so I'd take him. However, I still think there is more and better options. I dont think Mitch needs to rush to make a hire though.
Petrino is the ONLY option.

Anyone else means more Joker, im telling you.
FBALL Wrote:I kind of like Jones but.....

Peterson!!!!!!!!!

Jones would be right behind Smart and Taggert.

Just like I told you BARNHEAD could not make a good hire. You can't hire someone out of the LITTLE EAST to come play BIG BOY football. Can you say BILLY CLYDE. Tell that DUMBASS to call PETRINO.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Petrino is the ONLY option.

Anyone else means more Joker, im telling you.

With all the other openings in the SEC, I'm sure Petrino probably isnt even considering UK anymore. He's always looking for greener pastures.
I call Petrino scumbag. That is the only call he needs.
  • 1(current)
  • Next