Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you want at UK?
Quote:Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio
People who say that if UK passes, Petrino goes to Tenn or Auburn, here is some news. If those schools want him, he goes there regardless

From today via Twitter
This is also from KSR.

2. Is There Interest in the UK Football Coaching Job?
I am told that the preliminary interest from coaching candidates has shocked some around the program. One source told me, “Matt, you would not believe the people that have come out of the woodwork at this point. They are everywhere.” However there are a couple of qualifications and caveats that must be remembered. First, many of those who have contacted the University (mostly through agents) are not candidates that UK would have any interest in hiring. As one source familiar with such searches told me, “the moment a job comes open, people who can’t get any job try to convince you that this is the right one for them.” But second, some of the people who have made contact through representatives may themselves have ulterior motives. The moment that a name is attached to the UK job as a candidate, that coach becomes a hotter commodity for other schools and his asking price can go up across the board. A name being attached to any SEC school, yes even Kentucky, is an agent’s dream and many names being mentioned (and leaked) to various press outlets are done in the hopes that of driving overall interest in the candidate, regardless of UK’s actual interest.

3. Does UK Have a “List” at This Point?
By all indications, the answer to this question is yes. While I do believe that other options may end up being considered, I am told by a source that there are “4 to 5 top candidates” right now. The folks around the program are comfortable that the final coach can come from this list and the next week or so will be spent attempting to prioritize it. I am told that there are “names that would surprise you” on the list, and a couple of names that have been bandied about in the public as well.

4. Who is On the List?
At this point, two names that I am confident are on the list are Sonny Dykes, the coach at Louisiana Tech and Kirby Smart, the Defensive Coordinator at Alabama. Both have been part of the process from the beginning and are favorites of Barnhart and those around the program. Because my source has said that a couple of names on the list are those “bandied about in public”, I think it is reasonable to suggest that these are the two that qualify. As for the other names, I have heard wild suggestions from a number of people, but no name has been mentioned enough for me to take it seriously as a credible candidate. I do think Mike Leach was at one point on the list, but the events of this past weekend have taken him off the list. As one source told me, “Look, character matters. And you just can’t take a chance at this point on having a repeat of the past.” My assumption is that the second sentence is a reference to the Gillispie years.

5. What About David Cutcliffe?
If you don’t believe the public opinion matters, the saga of Cutcliffe proves otherwise. When the announcement of Joker’s departure was first made, I, and others, suggested that Dykes and Cutcliffe were early favorites. However UK fans (and boosters) expressed near unanimous disapproval of Cutcliffe’s name as another “run of the mill, retread” coach who would excite no one. That sentiment has been felt throughout the Athletic Department and every word that I have heard about Cutcliffe since has been negative about his chances in Lexington. Creating excitement in the program is part of this hiring process and Cutcliffe fails miserably in that regard. I now think he is low on the list.

6. What About Bobby Petrino?
This is the $64,000 question and the one that has dominated fan talk throughout the past weekend. From all of my conversations, I still believe this fact is true. I would be shocked at this point to see Mitch Barnhart hire Bobby Petrino. While fans understandably are excited about what Petrino can bring on the field, worries about off the field and overall character concerns make it nearly impossible for me to see Barnhart pulling the trigger on his own accord. There are many people that have to make such a determination, including the President, and from what I can tell in my conversations, none involved in the direct hiring process are positive on Petrino. He has burned many bridges in the state of Kentucky from his time in Louisville and those chickens are coming home to roost on this hire. Barnhart knows that many in the fan base are for the hire, but there is also a vocal minority who have contacted the school against the hire, including many of the older fans who dont populate the internet. As one source told me, “people are either all in or all out…few people express ambivalence.”

7. So Does that Mean There is No Chance Petrino Ends up in Lexington?
There is very little chance that Petrino ends up in Lexington. But I can’t say there is NO chance, because there is a group of powerful folks who want to make it happen. A number of boosters and those very close to the University Administration are making their pro-Petrino voices heard and there is a lot of energy from these folks to have him considered. A number of these folks are pushing this belief through certain media sources (which has led to the various interviews you have seen from prominent Petrino supporters in local media…I expect you will see more in the coming week) and they are in contact with Bobby Petrino’s agent, family, etc. I still would be flabbergasted to see Mitch Barnhart make a hire of Bobby Petrino…but I can’t say that it is impossible he might theoretically end up the coach, because of the amount of highly influential people who are beating the Petrino drum. Bottom line, if you were creating an odds board in Vegas, Bobby P shouldn’t be the favorite or in the top 3-4…but I won’t take him off the board in case things get wild in the coming weeks.
Quote:Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio
UK is the one of the 5 hardest jobs in the BCS, if not THE hardest. Until we as a fan base accept that, we will be continually disappointed
Expand

Per Twitter
According to Matt Jones of KSR the top 2 are Sonny Dykes and Kirby Smart
Well if that is the list then I think the obvious choice would be Kirby Smart. You don't need a dominating offense in the SEC to thrive,you need a dominating defense. Did you see what Alabama did to LSU in the championship. I don't think I ever in my life seen a defense dominate a team of that caliber like that in my life.
Strikeout King Wrote:According to Matt Jones of KSR the top 2 are Sonny Dykes and Kirby Smart

Love it. 2 of my top 3 on my wish list!

I really hope Smart, show him the money!!!
^^ If that is the case then Kentucky better go with Kirby Smart if they want any kind of sucess.
I want a great defensive mind and someone who can recruit the heck out of bluechip talent in the southeast....not SW, or NW, or NE!

DEFENSE wins the SEC year in, year out.

This guy will need to hire a good proven OC who knows the spread, pro, and isn't afraid to line up in the I and pound when needed.

Going to take this guy a couple seasons to get established with his recruits and there is a limited cupboard to begin with. Clock management and long sustained drives will be very important for the Cats next season.

That's the guy I want...there's a couple out there that fit the bill!
Strikeout King Wrote:He's has never stayed at any program that he's been at no longer than 3 years and he's out the door, If he came here, he wouldn't stay that long before he left.

I'd take the low route and hire someone that's gonna stay here a long long time and win instead of win now and look for a new coach in a few years.

Are you exaggerating again...
Kirby Kirby Kirby!!!

Make him an offer he cant refuse!
Downtown10 Wrote:Are you exaggerating again...

Carroll (MT) (Graduate Assistant, 1983)
Weber State (Graduate Assistant, 1984)
Carroll (MT) (Offensive Coordinator, 1985-1986)
Weber State (Wide Receivers/Tight Ends, 1987-1988)
Idaho (Quarterbacks, 1989; Offensive Coordinator, 1990-1991)
Arizona State (Quarterbacks, 1992-1993)
Nevada (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, 1994)
Utah State (Offensive Coordinator, 1995-1997)
Louisville (Offensive Coordinator, 1998)
Jacksonville Jaguars (Quarterbacks, 1999-2000; Offensive Coordinator, 2001)
Auburn (Offensive Coordinator, 2002)
Louisville (Head Coach, 2003-2006)
Atlanta Falcons (Head Coach, 2007)
Arkansas (Head Coach, 2008-2012)

http://college-football-coaches.findthed...by-Petrino
Most coaches flop around like that when there assistants.
Just about every coach has worked at atleast 6 or 7 schools.

Ive always hatd KSR. Never payed any attention to them.
They dont know a bit more than the average person, unless they pay someone for info.
My question if you have known since the Western game that you was going to have to hire a new coach,and I know no one who thought Joker would make it to next year.Barnhead was just hoping.Why have you not hired one yet.My belief is the boosters or the President didn't agree with his choice.
Kliff Kingsbury is a candidate
Strikeout King Wrote:Carroll (MT) (Graduate Assistant, 1983)
Weber State (Graduate Assistant, 1984)
Carroll (MT) (Offensive Coordinator, 1985-1986)
Weber State (Wide Receivers/Tight Ends, 1987-1988)
Idaho (Quarterbacks, 1989; Offensive Coordinator, 1990-1991)
Arizona State (Quarterbacks, 1992-1993)
Nevada (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, 1994)
Utah State (Offensive Coordinator, 1995-1997)
Louisville (Offensive Coordinator, 1998)
Jacksonville Jaguars (Quarterbacks, 1999-2000; Offensive Coordinator, 2001)
Auburn (Offensive Coordinator, 2002)
Louisville (Head Coach, 2003-2006)
Atlanta Falcons (Head Coach, 2007)
Arkansas (Head Coach, 2008-2012)

http://college-football-coaches.findthed...by-Petrino

Looks like he was at UL and Arkansas 4yrs...
Louisville was the only school he was at for 4 years.

He was fired at Arkansas in April of 2012 so he didn't coach in 2012 so that would make his stint at Arkansas was 3 years.
Strikeout King Wrote:Louisville was the only school he was at for 4 years.

He was fired at Arkansas in April of 2012 so he didn't coach in 2012 so that would make his stint at Arkansas was 3 years.

Arkansas 2008,2009,2010,2011,fired in 2012
2 schools he's been at 4 years..Other's he has just jumped up and left..He still wouldn't stay at Kentucky long
3 years or 4 years you guys are getting knit picky.
Confusednicker:
I would be fine for Petrino only staying at UK for four years.
Hell, he will win more games in those 4 years then Joker, Mumme, and Brooks all had together.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Confusednicker:
I would be fine for Petrino only staying at UK for four years.
Hell, he will win more games in those 4 years then Joker, Mumme, and Brooks all had together.

:truestory:
Just in case you need a reminder of what a scumbag Petrino is. The last couple of paragraphs frame it nicely.

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/12/24057...rylink=rss
Petrino!!!!!!!!! Petrino!!!!!!!!!! Petrino!!!!!!!!!! Petrino!!!!!!!!!!
FBALL Wrote:Just in case you need a reminder of what a scumbag Petrino is. The last couple of paragraphs frame it nicely.

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/12/24057...rylink=rss
Go Away FBALL! Its guys like you that have helped keep Ky football in the cellar of the SEC and Big Time college football in general for the last 50 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't been alive for the last 50 years.

Don't get huffy with me because you have a hard on for a criminal scumbag who shows no loyalty or consideration to anyone but himself.

No Petrino!!!!!!!!!No Petrino!!!!!!!!!!No Petrino!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah.

No Petrino!!!!!!!!!!
FBALL did I see somewhere today where Coach Hall was lobbying for Petrino.
What about houston nutt?
insideinfo Wrote:FBALL did I see somewhere today where Coach Hall was lobbying for Petrino.

I don't know. Did you?

If so probably because Hall's bank gave him a loan and he needs to get him a job to pay it back.
Confusednicker:
When i started this i was the only Petrino lover.
I have recruited the masses, or the smart people just entered the building....either way its one of the two :biggrin:

Petrino is the only way to go.
BTW, the whole bull crap of us not interviewing and thinking about Petrino is a wash. The general consensus is Barney has to much heat on him, and a lot of "big" people want to see it.
Expect the man to atleast get a call...