•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland @ Highlands - 11/9/12 - 4A Second Round
FBALL Wrote:I'd just save the gas money if I were the putty tats.

Was that the playoff philosophy of your Devils?
Wow. Good thread. I am afraid that the thread may be more entertaining than the game. Highlands is one of the better football teams in the greater Cincy area. Ashland lost to Ironton and Johnson Central. My bet is this one wont be close. Good luck to both teams.

My guess:
Highlands: 49
Ashland: 13 (Both scores coming late)
It's rare that I may sound like the voice of reason, but I didn't read any Ashland fans being disrepectful of Highlands. Ashland fans simply feel they have a good team this year, will give their all, and think if a few breaks go their way they can win the game. That's not in any way disrespectful to Highlands. All teams should feel they can win any game. If you go into a game thinking you're going to lose, what does that make you? I say a loser. Ashland may not have won a title recently. Most teams haven't. That doesn't demean their tradition, enthusiasm, or hopes. I hope they bring a big, loud, enthusiastic crowd. It's much better than seeing Highlands play patsies like a Boyd, Lloyd, or NewCath.
Wideleft01 Wrote:It's rare that I may sound like the voice of reason, but I didn't read any Ashland fans being disrepectful of Highlands. Ashland fans simply feel they have a good team this year, will give their all, and think if a few breaks go their way they can win the game. That's not in any way disrespectful to Highlands. All teams should feel they can win any game. If you go into a game thinking you're going to lose, what does that make you? I say a loser. Ashland may not have won a title recently. Most teams haven't. That doesn't demean their tradition, enthusiasm, or hopes. I hope they bring a big, loud, enthusiastic crowd. It's much better than seeing Highlands play patsies like a Boyd, Lloyd, or NewCath.
Your exactly right. These kids have played with such pride every Friday night. They are very beat up injury wise and may not be as big fast or strong as highlands and in all likelyhood it's probably like bringing a knife to a gun fight. However we as fans owe it to these young men to support them with enthusiasm and cheer them in while they try to accomplish something most think isn't possible.
Wideleft01 Wrote:It's rare that I may sound like the voice of reason, but I didn't read any Ashland fans being disrepectful of Highlands. Ashland fans simply feel they have a good team this year, will give their all, and think if a few breaks go their way they can win the game. That's not in any way disrespectful to Highlands. All teams should feel they can win any game. If you go into a game thinking you're going to lose, what does that make you? I say a loser. Ashland may not have won a title recently. Most teams haven't. That doesn't demean their tradition, enthusiasm, or hopes. I hope they bring a big, loud, enthusiastic crowd. It's much better than seeing Highlands play patsies like a Boyd, Lloyd, or NewCath.

FTH didn't play NCC or Lloyd and only played Boyd County because the playoff format dictates that they play the fourth best team from a weak district. However, FTH did play Boyle County, Scott County CovCath, and Cincinnati Elder, among others. And, if you want to compare, I'd be inclined to put NCC, a fine Class 2A school, up against many so-called Class 4A "powers".

But, I see your point. You are trying to be a bit of a peacemaker. Just try not to go overboard.
:yes:I respect FTH but do not like them. They have the 2nd best recruited team in the state. Didnt your program have forfeit wins a few years back but still got to play in the state championship? These are 15-18 year olds and anything can happen. Yea we lost 2 games this year so we are beatable but whats your record? I believe its 10-1 you lost a game too so that makes FTH beatable too!!!!!!!!!!!! When Ashland pulls the upset Friday we wont be the second best team in 4A we will move up to #1. Why do you say we play in a weak district. Ashland and J.C. compared to Cov-Cath and FTH is comparable. Your district is weak. Harrison County couldnt beat Greenup County and Boyd would crush them. Holmes your 3rd seed is awful too. You play in a weaker district then Ashland..
T-CATS Wrote::yes:I respect FTH but do not like them. They have the 2nd best recruited team in the state. Didnt your program have forfeit wins a few years back but still got to play in the state championship? These are 15-18 year olds and anything can happen. Yea we lost 2 games this year so we are beatable but whats your record? I believe its 10-1 you lost a game too so that makes FTH beatable too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, but our loss came to elder.

Ok, wideleft01 is the voice of reason in this thread. December 21, 2012. The world ends.
I am not aware of many Ashland fans who believe that FTH engages in recruiting. If I lived in NKY and was looking for a place to send my children, FTH would be at the top of the list in terms of public schools, not only becuase it has an excellent athletic tradition, but, more importantly, because it is an excellent school. When the school district lines are relatively close in a fairly congested area, I would likely do my best to find a home within the FTH district. That's not recruiting. Rather simply, that is wanting the best overall education experience for your child. I imagine that most of my fellow Ashland fans feel the same way. I am happy that my oldest child goes to school at Ashland and plays for the Tomcats. I choose Ashland for the same reasons.

As for the game, I tend to agree with Wideleft. No Ashland fans are showing disrespect for FTH. The fans are going into the game with their eyes wide open. These kids, though, want to win and will work their tails off to do so. Many think they can win it. They may come up short, but I believe this game will be better and closer than most expect. Hope both teams stay healthy during the game. Looking forward to the trip.
WideRight05 Wrote:Lol, but our loss came to elder.

Ok, wideleft01 is the voice of reason in this thread. December 21, 2012. The world ends.

But it is a L even if it was to the Bengals!!!
Ashland not close to being top 6 teams in 4A so this will be a cakewalk for the Bluebirds, Highlands 58-18 and the 18 points youget will be generous from the Bluebirds Ashland may not gain 100 yards if Highlands playes their starters all night.
T-CATS Wrote::yes:I respect FTH but do not like them. They have the 2nd best recruited team in the state. Didnt your program have forfeit wins a few years back but still got to play in the state championship? These are 15-18 year olds and anything can happen. Yea we lost 2 games this year so we are beatable but whats your record? I believe its 10-1 you lost a game too so that makes FTH beatable too!!!!!!!!!!!! When Ashland pulls the upset Friday we wont be the second best team in 4A we will move up to #1. Why do you say we play in a weak district. Ashland and J.C. compared to Cov-Cath and FTH is comparable. Your district is weak. Harrison County couldnt beat Greenup County and Boyd would crush them. Holmes your 3rd seed is awful too. You play in a weaker district then Ashland..

Undoubtedly, T-CATS is the stereotypical example of what many see as the "Ashland Fan". His/Her post is so ridiculous as to be undeserving of a rebuttal. He/She is a fool. He does nothing for his mediocre favorites. Tradition? Only in his/her eyes. Traditions require success over a long period of time. That obviously rules Ashland out. They are not a tradition. They are one of the also rans upon which real programs build a real tradition.

By the way, I believe Ashland last beat FTH in 1954- 58 years ago.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Undoubtedly, T-CATS is the stereotypical example of what many see as the "Ashland Fan". His/Her post is so ridiculous as to be undeserving of a rebuttal. He/She is a fool. He does nothing for his mediocre favorites. Tradition? Only in his/her eyes. Traditions require success over a long period of time. That obviously rules Ashland out. They are not a tradition. They are one of the also rans upon which real programs build a real tradition.

Yea 6th in all-time wins in football and 13 state championships including a N.C. and 4 BB state championships and #1 in alltime wins isnt any tradition at all. You are a fool!!! Highlands back in the late 60s and 70s would not play us several years when they knew we (Ashland) had great teams and would crush you..:worthy:.
ballboy Wrote:Ashland not close to being top 6 teams in 4A so this will be a cakewalk for the Bluebirds, Highlands 58-18 and the 18 points youget will be generous from the Bluebirds Ashland may not gain 100 yards if Highlands playes their starters all night.
Are you serious it's highlands,Cov Cath, lex Cath, then who else is better than Ashland? Everyone else is even and if Ashland beat any of them it wouldn't be a upset,
T-CATS Wrote:Yea 6th in all-time wins in football and 13 state championships including a N.C. and 4 BB state championships and #1 in alltime wins isnt any tradition at all. You are a fool!!! Highlands back in the late 60s and 70s would not play us several years when they knew we (Ashland) had great teams and would crush you..:worthy:.

Actually, Ashland is 9th in all time wins in Kentucky through last year at 636 vs first in Kentucky and second in the nation for Highlands (828). The KHSAA website does not show that Ashland has won 13 football championships compared to Highlands 21. I see two, 1967 and 1990. Considering Highlands won state football titles in 1960, 1961, 1964, 1968, 1970, 1975, and 1977, if Ashland was so good in the 60s and 70s, should not Highlands and Ashland played more frequently? Highlands is 18-5-1 against Ashland all time.

I think that you are confusing Football with other sports. Harry is talking about football and NOT basketball, baseball, track, etc.
Ashland lays clame to 11 state championships. However I believe only 3 titles since playoffs started in kentucky. Most were before when it was decided by ap and coaches polls I believe. 67,75,90 are the playoff years. I do not know if the state recognizes 75 as you had the schools from outside of Louisville crown a champion and the Louisville schools crown a champion. Ashland went undefeated that year and won the at large state championship but lost to Louisville St. X in the game with the Louisville champion. So as I was not alive at the time and have only read reports I do not know if both ST.X and Ashland are considered state champs or if it is just X. Maybe someone who was around can explain better.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Ashland lays clame to 11 state championships. However I believe only 3 titles since playoffs started in kentucky. Most were before when it was decided by ap and coaches polls I believe. 67,75,90 are the playoff years. I do not know if the state recognizes 75 as you had the schools from outside of Louisville crown a champion and the Louisville schools crown a champion. Ashland went undefeated that year and won the at large state championship but lost to Louisville St. X in the game with the Louisville champion. So as I was not alive at the time and have only read reports I do not know if both ST.X and Ashland are considered state champs or if it is just X. Maybe someone who was around can explain better.

With all due respect, Ashland can claim whatever it wishes. That doesn't make it a valid claim. Lot's of schools "claimed" championships back in the 1920s and 1930s. It makes their modern fans feel good and it helps them claim a phantom tradition. However, it isn't based on any truth.

As for the alleged "statewide, but non-Louisville" championship, that is seen as a state championship for Ashland only by Ashlanders. No one else would recognize it. It would be like Johnson Central claiming the regional championship because it won the district. Strictly fantasy.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Ashland lays clame to 11 state championships. However I believe only 3 titles since playoffs started in kentucky. Most were before when it was decided by ap and coaches polls I believe. 67,75,90 are the playoff years. I do not know if the state recognizes 75 as you had the schools from outside of Louisville crown a champion and the Louisville schools crown a champion. Ashland went undefeated that year and won the at large state championship but lost to Louisville St. X in the game with the Louisville champion. So as I was not alive at the time and have only read reports I do not know if both ST.X and Ashland are considered state champs or if it is just X. Maybe someone who was around can explain better.

According to the KHSAA (http://khsaa.org/records/football/pastwinners.pdf) Ashland lost to St X 20-0 in the 1975 4A championship. If you want to count mythical titles, add three more to Highlands (1930, 1943, 1957).

I have to agree with WideLeft on this one (gulp, the world MUST be coming to an end). I do think Harry is overstating things a little but T-CATS is overstating stuff A LOT, to the point of making stuff up it appears (or at least confusing things terribly).

Should be a good game on Friday, assuming that the world does not end before then because WideLeft is being the voice of reason.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:With all due respect, Ashland can claim whatever it wishes. That doesn't make it a valid claim. Lot's of schools "claimed" championships back in the 1920s and 1930s. It makes their modern fans feel good and it helps them claim a phantom tradition. However, it isn't based on any truth.

As for the alleged "statewide, but non-Louisville" championship, that is seen as a state championship for Ashland only by Ashlanders. No one else would recognize it. It would be like Johnson Central claiming the regional championship because it won the district. Strictly fantasy.
yeah pre 1960's was very hard to determine A champion. Like I said I didn't know how that worked back in 75 I do know that the khsaa only had 3 classes an Ashland was grouped in with the Louisville schools. So some of those teams were really good but much like today probably had no business having to play schools such a st x. I saw where highlands had a title in 1975 imagine if the teams had played what a game it woulda been
Highlands by a landslide at lest 4TD
WideRight05 Wrote:Lol, but our loss came to elder.

Shouldn't the "VOR" at least be a high school student? Still wearing the Highlands hat but with the river rat accent!
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Undoubtedly, T-CATS is the stereotypical example of what many see as the "Ashland Fan". His/Her post is so ridiculous as to be undeserving of a rebuttal. He/She is a fool. He does nothing for his mediocre favorites. Tradition? Only in his/her eyes. Traditions require success over a long period of time. That obviously rules Ashland out. They are not a tradition. They are one of the also rans upon which real programs build a real tradition.

And you sir Harry are the stereotypical Highlands fan. Pompous, arrogant ass who believes no one should believe in there team unless they are from Highlands. You put up post after post belittling Ashland and questioning Ashlands tradition.
No disrespect to FTH and all they have accomplished. If they are soo much above everybody else and there is really no competition for them in 4a. Why don't they petition the KHSAA to play in 6a. Real chamions would welcome the competition.
I mean really if everybody else so far beneath them
^and this thead just got ugly
tomcat4life Wrote:And you sir Harry are the stereotypical Highlands fan. Pompous, arrogant ass who believes no one should believe in there team unless they are from Highlands. You put up post after post belittling Ashland and questioning Ashlands tradition.
No disrespect to FTH and all they have accomplished. If they are soo much above everybody else and there is really no competition for them in 4a. Why don't they petition the KHSAA to play in 6a. Real chamions would welcome the competition.

I ve asked them the same question and the reason they dont play 6a is real simple trinity. Imho. As great as they are the rocks are better.
sawmill Wrote:I ve asked them the same question and the reason they dont play 6a is real simple trinity. Imho. As great as they are the rocks are better.

Of note, the KHSAA MADE Highlands move from 5A to 4A two years ago when there were enough teams in the area with a 4A enrollment. This move was against Highlands wishes. I do not think that they would allow Highlands to play in 6A as one of the smallest schools in 4A. I do not think that any Highlands fan would argue with you that at present, Trinity is better.
Frozenbird Wrote:Of note, the KHSAA MADE Highlands move from 5A to 4A two years ago when there were enough teams in the area with a 4A enrollment. This move was against Highlands wishes. I do not think that they would allow Highlands to play in 6A as one of the smallest schools in 4A. I do not think that any Highlands fan would argue with you that at present, Trinity is better.

Fth would be a tough out in any class.
And i hope we get another chance to crack fth egg. Confusednicker:
tomcat4life Wrote:And you sir Harry are the stereotypical Highlands fan. Pompous, arrogant ass who believes no one should believe in there team unless they are from Highlands. You put up post after post belittling Ashland and questioning Ashlands tradition.

No, not pompous and arrogant. Just confident because of how it has all played out over the years. One is never arrogant and pompous when history is in his favor. One is merely stating the truth.

So, tomcat4life, win something and then you will have some credibility. Your boasting is ill conceived because you haven't won anything for decades. And, of course, much of that "tradition" is mythical. On the other hand, FTH has won a title or two, don't you think? As I posted before, there are two premier high school football programs in the Commonwealth- FTH and Trinity. There are a number of good schools- public and private- in the second tier. Then there is the third tier of average schools which would include Ashland.
Bluebirds!!!
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:No, not pompous and arrogant. Just confident because of how it has all played out over the years. One is never arrogant and pompous when history is in his favor. One is merely stating the truth.

So, tomcat4life, win something and then you will have some credibility. Your boasting is ill conceived because you haven't won anything for decades. And, of course, much of that "tradition" is mythical. On the other hand, FTH has won a title or two, don't you think? As I posted before, there are two premier high school football programs in the Commonwealth- FTH and Trinity. There are a number of good schools- public and private- in the second tier. Then there is the third tier of average schools which would include Ashland.

What did I say that's boastful? What I said was I don't think it will be a cake walk for FTH. I said nothing disrespecting FTH.
I think it speaks volumes that you deny being arrogant and deny being pompous but don't deny being an ass.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I do not know if the state recognizes 75 as you had the schools from outside of Louisville crown a champion and the Louisville schools crown a champion. Ashland went undefeated that year and won the at large state championship but lost to Louisville St. X in the game with the Louisville champion.

You are essentially correct on this, but:
1) it was a Jefferson County champion, not Louisville champion
2) at the time everyone knew going into the season that there would only be one overall Class 4A state champion and would be the winner of the game between the State At-large champion and the Jefferson County champion.

Ashland had had an excellent season and were true road warriors playing all their playoff games on the road in Lexington (Henry Clay), Edgewood (Dixie Heights) and Paducah (Tilghman) prior to the game in Louisville at the KFEC. St. Xavier was playing all their playoff games in Jefferson County (at the KFEC). If memory serves me correctly, Ashland had not given up 20 points in the season before the St. Xavier game.

My wife and I were at the Championship game, Ashland was in over their head against the Tigers.

Just as this Friday night. Ashland (my mother's alma mater) has had a good season. But just like in 1975, my wife and I will be at the Ashland game and once again Ashland will once again be in over their head.
I have to give it to the Ashland fans here. Normally it would be either lefty or I stirring the pot, but honestly we are just sitting back this thread. They are fans I would want to have for my team any day. 8, 10, however many titles is a lot for a program, even if it all was before 1950. Still a lot.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next