•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairview Additions
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:As I posted in another thread, Fairview's fortunes increased when it extended its boundary to include Cabell County, West Virginia. On the other hand, I guess this annexation only applies to football since Ashland is following the same path in basketball. It is truly interesting, though apparently not to KHSAA that these Huntingtonians are "relocating" their families to Westwood and Ashland. Where are all the jobs?

Yes Ashland got a kid from Huntington not sure about his abilities but he looks the part.

Now Harry, got some of that "Pot an Kettle" going on here for you being a highlands Guy?
I find it funny how in the past years raceland plays a team in junior high and beats them upperhandedly. Then when they hit the highschool level they play entirely different team at the highschool level. Fairview Coaches were asked what they would do on a bye week? Scout raceland? They said no. They would spend it in Huntington or other part of WV on recruiting trips. Does the KHSAA care? No. However if it was a program like highlands they'd be all over it. Not sure if I should Laugh more at the KHSAA or mcpeek. Who compared his "new" running back to anyone he ever played with at Marshall. Who keep in mind included Ahmad Bradshaw.
Eagles2012 Wrote:That is false, and your a liar. The kings live in Ashland and The Rutherfords rent a apartment in Westwood

Who is a liar and what is false
Ram Fan04 Wrote:I find it funny how in the past years raceland plays a team in junior high and beats them upperhandedly. Then when they hit the highschool level they play entirely different team at the highschool level. Fairview Coaches were asked what they would do on a bye week? Scout raceland? They said no. They would spend it in Huntington or other part of WV on recruiting trips. Does the KHSAA care? No. However if it was a program like highlands they'd be all over it. Not sure if I should Laugh more at the KHSAA or mcpeek. Who compared his "new" running back to anyone he ever played with at Marshall. Who keep in mind included Ahmad Bradshaw.

I took it as he meant speed wise he is just as good as anyone but maybe he simply meant he is a D1 type player. Grow up man LOL! You worry so much about Fairview and what they are doing, Raceland has a great team and program with transfers as well and nobody complains from Fairview so just line up and play the game got few more weeks then we shall see Raceland gotta be the favorites thus far during the season they are playing great ball congrats to Rams
I have watched kids transfer for years and years in my area. But they typically went to established programs. Kids have always crossed over to Belfry and Pikeville, but I can see the logic. If I had a son I would want him to play for those programs as well if it was a possibility. My question would be: Why have these people chosen Fairview as the place to go? With no disrespect to the school or program, they havent exactly been top notch over the course of time. If I were in that area I would could certainly think of some other programs which would seem to be on another level that I would consider to be the best for Football. Ironton and Ashland would have to top the list with some others just as attractive. If these kids are transferring simply for football then why not go to the best programs in the area? Not sure why they are leaving their home schools, may be issues I am unaware of that lead them to Fairview.
I heard the head coach feeds these "recruits" a bunch of BS about how he will get them to big colleges and how teams like Russel and Ashland are good but their coach doesn't get their kids recruited. But after talking to some kids from fairview they said they were also disappointed by how little McPeek gets them recruited and it is all a big lie just to get the kids to come there. Happens everywhere i'm sure
Whatever happened to that know it all, Clint Westwood? He stated at the beginning of the season that Raceland would be mediocre at best and would be lucky to win 3 games.
Bulldog, if they can be lured to Fairview by this type of talk I would think they would look around at the programs I mentioned and see that those opportunities would be more readily available at those types of places. I know Ashland's coach was a college coach for several years and Ironton's former coach was a legend (we have nothing but respect for both of those men). I would also think they would see the benefit of having their children play along side some quality teammates like the ones Ironton has had and Ashland has now (Baker kid). You have a chance to be seen by coaches who may be looking at them. Many times being the big fish in a small pond is not the best situation.
IceQB Wrote:Bulldog, if they can be lured to Fairview by this type of talk I would think they would look around at the programs I mentioned and see that those opportunities would be more readily available at those types of places. I know Ashland's coach was a college coach for several years and Ironton's former coach was a legend (we have nothing but respect for both of those men). I would also think they would see the benefit of having their children play along side some quality teammates like the ones Ironton has had and Ashland has now (Baker kid). You have a chance to be seen by coaches who may be looking at them. Many times being the big fish in a small pond is not the best situation.

I Believe Raceland may be the only team on Fairviews schedule that comes close to having a winning record. As always. So winning 10 or 11 games isn't much in my book. I don't worry about where they get the players. If Westwood community families don't care. Why should I. It is what it is. But I do believe its all about 10 wins each year. Or they would be trying to schedule the Ashland, Russell's and other big name football schools. The total wins again this year by opp. On their schedule won't equal the number of wins the eagles total. Unless the Rams win 7 or 8.
I say if you can get transfers more power to you.I really don't care either way.Give them a break they are kids who have to abide but what adults lay in front of them.If moving improves that kids life than by all means im glad.
bulldog4life Wrote:I heard the head coach feeds these "recruits" a bunch of BS about how he will get them to big colleges and how teams like Russel and Ashland are good but their coach doesn't get their kids recruited. But after talking to some kids from fairview they said they were also disappointed by how little McPeek gets them recruited and it is all a big lie just to get the kids to come there. Happens everywhere i'm sure

Can lead a horse to water can't make them drink I know Nate and other coaches help as much as possible get kids looks but can't make schools recruit them in all honesty eastern Kentucky has bad rap with kids going then leaving college so several have been burned!
football 105 Wrote:I Believe Raceland may be the only team on Fairviews schedule that comes close to having a winning record. As always. So winning 10 or 11 games isn't much in my book. I don't worry about where they get the players. If Westwood community families don't care. Why should I. It is what it is. But I do believe its all about 10 wins each year. Or they would be trying to schedule the Ashland, Russell's and other big name football schools. The total wins again this year by opp. On their schedule won't equal the number of wins the eagles total. Unless the Rams win 7 or 8.

So winning doesn't mean anything? Lol I'll give you some of those teams aren't great but can't make teams play you can you? Winning means alot have to disagree with you!
Fairview has been getting by with this for awhile now, and looks like the KHSAA will continue to turn their head to it.
Seriously russellpride give it up. The fact you call him Nate only proves you know "Nathan" Mcpeek personally. So therefore you take up for him. But fairview will eventually get caught up in this scandal. Always appealing eligibility, etc. If it were college all the wins from 03 to present would be vacated. It's the worst recruiting scandal to hit this area since rose hill basketball! I doubt the KHSAA will do anything. Because they won't spend the man hours to look into the situation. But Fairview is getting greedy with all the appealing and address transfers.
And nobody complains about raceland? Greenup and Russell have complained about us for the past few years. And that's due to kids parents moving so players can play at raceland. Not even close to coaches going 30-60 miles away and picking up "troubled" kids to play. Might as well offer scholarships! Rather than broken promises to D1 schools. And the speed comment is a joke! I highly doubt that kid runs faster than a 4.4 or 4.5 40. And that's nothing special even for this area.
russellpride Wrote:So winning doesn't mean anything? Lol I'll give you some of those teams aren't great but can't make teams play you can you? Winning means alot have to disagree with you!

I just can't see many teams running away. I doubt many are intimidated. If yo want it bad enough. You can achieve it!
Why all the fuss? I thought the Fairview Independent School System annexed Huntington. Of course, who would have believed that so many would seek to live in all those upscale apartments in Millseat?

Is it true that someone complained to a member of the KHSAA Board of Control about "transfers" at Fairview and the member of the board immediately called the superintendent at Fairview to tip him off in regard to who called, what school he represented, and what was said? If so is this another example of the old reference to "honor among thieves"?
russellpride Wrote:So winning doesn't mean anything? Lol I'll give you some of those teams aren't great but can't make teams play you can you? Winning means alot have to disagree with you!

Didn't see in my post where it said..winning doesn't mean anything. Things do get twisted on here. Wining is why we play. But if you play ten games. And your favored to win 99% of them by large margins. Where's the excitement? Ashland plays Russell. Ironton, Johnson C and more as big and most of the time toss up games. Russell plays Ashland. Boyd Co., Ironton ect. Raceland plays Ashland, Russell, Pikeville, Lawrence Co, Fairview. Fairview play district Raceland for their one big night. All good teams can win ten games each year with a weak schedule. Where's the excitement?
I think this talk is silly. All teams probrably do it to a certain extent but to see someone from Raceland bashing Fairview is funny. Raceland use to be top recruiting dog around here for years now Fairview is stepping on their toes. Greenup is passing laws as we speak to make it harder for Greenup kids to leave their school for other schools.

Didn't see in my post where it said..winning doesn't mean anything. Things do get twisted on here. Wining is why we play. But if you play ten games. And your favored to win 99% of them by large margins. Where's the excitement? Ashland plays Russell. Ironton, Johnson C and more as big and most of the time toss up games. Russell plays Ashland. Boyd Co., Ironton ect. Raceland plays Ashland, Russell, Pikeville, Lawrence Co, Fairview. Fairview play district Raceland for their one big night. All good teams can win ten games each year with a weak schedule. Where's the excitement?
DevilWatcher Wrote:I think this talk is silly. All teams probrably do it to a certain extent but to see someone from Raceland bashing Fairview is funny. Raceland use to be top recruiting dog around here for years now Fairview is stepping on their toes. Greenup is passing laws as we speak to make it harder for Greenup kids to leave their school for other schools.

Your last sentence says a lot. It tells us that Greenup County can't attract and keep students so they will erect a barbed wire fence (of sorts) to keep the prisoners inside.
Ramcat77 Wrote:Whatever happened to that know it all, Clint Westwood? He stated at the beginning of the season that Raceland would be mediocre at best and would be lucky to win 3 games.

I thought Raceland was mediocre when we played them.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:I thought Raceland was mediocre when we played them.

That's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.
That's very disappointing.
Truth Wrote:Your last sentence says a lot. It tells us that Greenup County can't attract and keep students so they will erect a barbed wire fence (of sorts) to keep the prisoners inside.

I agree. Greenup has always had it's trouble with the "good old boys" club and the Hatfield and McCoys type fued they have had with South Shore/Wurtland riff but they are losing alot of money and I guess they had to do what they had to do. I believe in open enrollment but I just think it's crazy. I remember Ashland playing Rose Hill and the radio announcer (that I loathe) wouldn't call them by their names at times just calling them "the transfers" but as soon as the Rose Hill train derailed and they got a few it was a whole new ballgame.
ok I'm just rambling basically while waiting on the wife but I just can't see how anyone can gripe because no ones slate is clean.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:And nobody complains about raceland? Greenup and Russell have complained about us for the past few years. And that's due to kids parents moving so players can play at raceland. Not even close to coaches going 30-60 miles away and picking up "troubled" kids to play. Might as well offer scholarships! Rather than broken promises to D1 schools. And the speed comment is a joke! I highly doubt that kid runs faster than a 4.4 or 4.5 40. And that's nothing special even for this area.

I'd like to know where you get all your Info from? They move into fairview district nobody picks them up. And for the speed comment, apparently you haven't seen Elijah play, but soon enough you will
At some point someone that can do something about this stuff happening year in and year out will have to do their job. And when that happens, and Fairview can't beat up on the sister's of the poor like they are now, we will see how many "Believe In The Wood". I don't have a dog in this fight but if I were a parent of a kid that has went to school there for years and all of sudden lose my spot to some kid coming over just to play football, I would be more than upset. No sense of loyalty at that school and eventually it will blow up in their face, just like it did at Rose Hill.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:I thought Raceland was mediocre when we played them.

The tomcats can make a team look mediocre at times. Six major turnovers in that game. I'm glad they looked that good to some. But I do believe playing the cats helped our play on both sides of the ball. I think they had doubts. Now they believe. Playing much better. If you can come out of a game like that healthy. It can only help come district time. Love playing the cats each year. The kids love it. And playing in Putnam stadium is one you never forget.
Eagles2012 Wrote:I'd like to know where you get all your Info from? They move into fairview district nobody picks them up. And for the speed comment, apparently you haven't seen Elijah play, but soon enough you will

Of course they "move" to Fairview. Who would turn down the opportunity to move to a fine apartment with "negotiable" rent in beautiful downtown Millseat? There are plenty of good jobs with good pay and the atmosphere is delightful.
I know this is common at most schools to have a 1 or 2 kids transfer but I don't think anyone can argue that this is an extreme case. Upwards of 6 players or mor, an having to get injunctions from a judge to allow them to play.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next