Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contracts you'd like to see get signed...
StrikeoutKing Wrote:From what I have heard, a lot of people aren't too happy about this. I think the games will be good for the fans and fun to watch, but I know of a lot of people who aren't too pleased with the decision for Somerset to play both county schools in the same season.

I am definitely one of those people.

Somerset vs. Pulaski County? :zzz:
Somerset vs. Southwestern? :zzz::zzz:

I would MUCH rather see Somerset renew a couple of their more traditional rivalries with schools like:

Corbin
Lexington Henry Clay
Lexington Bryan Station
Lexington Lafayette
Boyle County

Or heck, let's start a home-and-home series with Beechwood, Louisville Manual or Louisville Male, maybe. And let's try to keep our current contracts with Hazard and Glasgow.

But then again, who am I? Only a third-generation Briar Jumper who doesn't play golf with the Somerset AD. My opinion don't mean diddly.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Paintsville/Pikeville
Paintsville/Prestonsburg
Prestonsburg/Pikeville.

No matter how lopsided the scores would be these games should be played.
2/3 will soon be a reality for you.
Letcher Central vs Johnson Central
Letcher Central vs Corbin
Letcher Central vs Pikeville.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Mountain Pride Wrote:P-Burg/Johnson Central playing every year and switching the name of the game based on who hosts. The Jenny Wiley Bowl when P-Burg hosts and The Apple Bowl when JC hosts.

We really need to make this happen lol!

Agreed.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Paintsville/Pikeville
Paintsville/Prestonsburg
Prestonsburg/Pikeville.

No matter how lopsided the scores would be these games should be played.

Prestonsburg has tried to schedule local teams but Paintsville backed out due to rebuilding: Pikeville will not schedule unless they know they will have a good team.

Prestonsburg needs to work on their defense or the schools they have always beaten like Betsy Layne, Pike Central, Leslie Co., could be disasters.

Now, if they keep scheduling the 3A & 5A schools in the future thats great, but I am with you on local games...Paintsville, Johnson Central, even Ashland, Rowan County, Pikeville..so on...

With only 3-4 teams in a district that leaves plenty of room for different competition...:popcorn:
Clay- Leslie Used to be a good rivalry back when they were in the same district
In addition to Trinity, I'd like to se Highlands play Massillon Washington, Columbus DeSales, and Steubenville, Ohio. Next year would be a good year to play one or two of those teams.
Trinity vs Highlands
Perry vs Hazard
Perry vs Bell Co
Hazard vs Belfry
Bowling Green vs Trinity
Lexington,Catholic vs Highlands
Johnson,cent vs Prestonsbugh
Breathitt,Co vs Perry
Panther Thunder Wrote:2/3 will soon be a reality for you.

I have heard the same.
I just hope Harlan Co. can fill their schedule for next year...I would like to see a few more home games.
GetChili Wrote:I got my wish.

Somerset, Pulaski County, and Southwestern will all be playing one another, beginning next year.

Corbin will be playing one of these 2 teams next year and a different one the year after, at least that is what I heard.

Corbin - Whitley
Corbin - Middlesboro(when they get it turned around)
I would to see WC and corbin and williamsburg to play anybody other than the give mes they always schedule.Confusednicker:
colonelking69 Wrote:I would to see WC and corbin and williamsburg to play anybody other than the give mes they always schedule.Confusednicker:

All three of these schools should play each other. The schools are to close not to play. Can you imagine the buzz that a Williamsburg vs. Whitley game would create. The Williamsburg vs Corbin game was great in 2003 and 2004. I simply do not understand why these three schools do not play each other. I think that a big part of the fear of the Williamsburg vs. Whitley game is that there are always knuckleheads that act in a horrible manner when these two teams have played in the past. I understand that, but I believe the majority of fans do not act in this manner and times have changed.
I have to disagree with you guys.
I could honestly see a Whitley/Corbin game and hope it eventually happens.

However, Whitley and Wburg have absoloutly no business playing one another. Whitley has nothing to gain from playing the game and it would just create problems in that town.
It would turn into what the horrible Lynn Camp series has for us where we go 23-2 over the last 25 years and all people want to talk about it how a 1A school beat a 5A school when it happens. You will NEVER see a Wburg/Whitley football game again in our lifetime. That i can promise.

Back to the Corbin scenario, it could have been done had Corbin just agreed to give Whitley a return game at Whitley. Heck, Whitley even agreed to play Corbin TWICE at their place and once at Whitley and they still wouldnt take it. This is the game that needs to happen. Whitley/Wburg is a lose/lose for us in every aspect except the scoreboard.
Also, if Whitley and Corbin still cant agree on a contract, a good idea might be to move this game to a college campus, maybe Cumberlands or something.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I have to disagree with you guys.
I could honestly see a Whitley/Corbin game and hope it eventually happens.

However, Whitley and Wburg have absoloutly no business playing one another. Whitley has nothing to gain from playing the game and it would just create problems in that town.
It would turn into what the horrible Lynn Camp series has for us where we go 23-2 over the last 25 years and all people want to talk about it how a 1A school beat a 5A school when it happens. You will NEVER see a Wburg/Whitley football game again in our lifetime. That i can promise.

Back to the Corbin scenario, it could have been done had Corbin just agreed to give Whitley a return game at Whitley. Heck, Whitley even agreed to play Corbin TWICE at their place and once at Whitley and they still wouldnt take it. This is the game that needs to happen. Whitley/Wburg is a lose/lose for us in every aspect except the scoreboard.

I do not think the Williamsburg vs. Whitley game would be similar to Lynn Camp vs Whiltley at all. Williamsburg has been a much better team than Lynn Camp for several years. In fact, I believe out of the two schools Whitley was the last one to loose to Lynn Camp. You are probably right though, it may cause some problems.
Playfast Wrote:I do not think the Williamsburg vs. Whitley game would be similar to Lynn Camp vs Whiltley at all. Williamsburg has been a much better team than Lynn Camp for several years. In fact, I believe out of the two schools Whitley was the last one to loose to Lynn Camp. You are probably right though, it may cause some problems.

Let me clarify, before people start loosing their minds. I am not saying Williamsburg would win every year or even 50% of the time. I just know it would be a much better series than Lynn Camp vs. Whitley. That actually seems pretty silly to me.
Somerset-Rockcastle Co.
Southwestern-Wayne Co.
Pulaski Co.-Danville
Bowling Green-Highlands
Boyle Co.-Bell Co.
Russell Co. - Green Co.
Casey Co. - Adair Co.
Mcreary Co.- Clinton Co.
Harlan Co. - Breathitt Co.
Knox Central - Corbin
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Also, if Whitley and Corbin still cant agree on a contract, a good idea might be to move this game to a college campus, maybe Cumberlands or something.

I do not see that happening at Cumberland or Union. There are no lights. This needs to be a home and home series if it is to be played. I do not think this game gets played though.
Owen County And Frankfort
Owen County And Herny County
Owen County and Eminence
Think it might be interesting to see a double header each year with Bell/Middlesboro vs Whitley/Corbin, trading opponents and keep rotating it every year through the 4 year cycle.
Belfry vs Mingo Central Wva ...would be good for the area
JC vs anyone within 60 miles.. And I mean anyone.. P-burg, lawerence, Sheldon Clark any of them.
Trinity vs. Colerain (OH)
Highlands vs. Louisville Central
Playfast Wrote:I do not think the Williamsburg vs. Whitley game would be similar to Lynn Camp vs Whiltley at all. Williamsburg has been a much better team than Lynn Camp for several years. In fact, I believe out of the two schools Whitley was the last one to loose to Lynn Camp. You are probably right though, it may cause some problems.

Thats not what i meant.
Theres no doubt in my mind that Wburg is five times the program Lynn Camp is, and atleast 2 out of every 5 years wburg could give us a game. I wasnt knocking on wburg, theyve had some teams that could have beat us, however, i was referring to the fact that Whitley has nothing to gain from the game. Id rather us keep playing Boyle and Bell which are traditonally strong each year and it could only help us. IMO, we just have absoloutly nothing to gain from it, even if we win every single year.

The Lynn Camp series started long before my time, about 65 I believe and it continued because of the proximity and low cost, as well as the fact it was just another game every year, and I couldnt be any more happy that its over after this year. We have no business playing a 1A school, much less a BAD 1A school every year. Both programs will benefit from moving on. I believe i heard that this was the second longest running game in the state, footballfever may know for sure.
BDC Wrote:I do not see that happening at Cumberland or Union. There are no lights. This needs to be a home and home series if it is to be played. I do not think this game gets played though.

I totally agree that it should be a home and home series.
I was just saying that if Corbin never agrees to come to Whitley, maybe they could work out a neutral site for every year.