Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry Clay 40 - Belfry 20
Henry Clay was a FAST team, great overall speed.

Belfry needs work on holding on to the ball, wrapping up on tackles, and special teams. Henry Clay took advantage of the mistakes and won. Good win for Henry Clay, if any loss can be a good loss, it was a good loss for Belfry.
Belfry played a 6A school and lost ay home, They will be hard to beat down the road, But they got to learn to pass the football. To me belfry is maybe the top 2 or 3 in the mountain top 5. But overall the Mountain Football is down this year.
HonestJohn Wrote:I didn't mean to dish on Belfry, I just wanted to know if Harlan, Bell, Boyle, and Belfry have all lost this early, who can claim the top spot. But since everyone is all wound up, we need to get on the same page--one guy say Belfry has a decade long win streak against Bell and another say they haven't played each other in 15 years. The latter would mean they haven't been beaten by them, but I don't see how they could beat them if they haven't played in 15 years. I am not a jackass I just think that if you don't beat a team you can't say you are better than them. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers birdbrain. I guess if anybody beats Henry Clay this year they are better than Belfry by your logic.

This is exactly the point I was illustrating.

Belfry has a 10 year winning streak vs. Bell not because they have been beating them, it's just they won the last game and haven't played since in over a decade. The same as the fact Belfry hasn't played Harlan County.

Everyone is obsessed with this whole "King of the Mountain" distinction, yet the arguement they use is completelyt flawed when they say "until a mountain team beats so and so they have to remain #1"..when in fact during their streak of wins that team hasn't played all of the other top teams.

Nothing more, nothing less... I was just being facetious.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:I honestly thought Belfry would win this game.

I saw this one coming...when we walked out of the Tate's Creek game I remember thinking "I'm glad we didnt play them". Watching them warm up their overall size reminded me of Morristown West but bigger and more athletic looking. Mind you that was just at a glance....but they definitely passed the physical look test.....
HonestJohn Wrote:WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who's king of the mountains now? To quote one poster "a loss is a loss and should drop them in the rankings". So who is king now? This would make a good thread (I say until a mountain team beats Bell head to head, they are king of the mountains)

With Dudley gone.Bell aint Bell.
vundy33 Wrote:I doubt they lose another regular season game all year.

I do know one thing though, that Henry Clay QB is a MONSTER! He's like the black Jared Lorenzen, lol...

i dont know if it was the backup or ,not but they said one of them just a soph..
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:With Dudley gone.Bell aint Bell.

Really? Not hard to hand the ball off. We have our same D Cord still. So what's the difference? Dudley couldn't beat Lex Cath in 07 neither.
IMO Henry Clay was just a bad match up for Belfry.

HCs defense matched up well with the belly offense of Belfrys. Seemed like Belfry only ran 4 different run plays the whole night, and Carr & Johnson where the only backs that were able to make some plays. Warren is a good QB, but he had two wide open receivers and one of them plays should've been a TD, but Warren put a little too much touch on the ball and both passes ended up getting deflected away.

Defensively Belfrys secondary got beat in 1-on-1 the whole night. Also Belfry had a lot of problems tackling too. Which is very uncommon by the Pirates.

I didn't think HC was 3 touchdowns better than Belfry, but they where the better team.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:IMO Henry Clay was just a bad match up for Belfry.

HCs defense matched up well with the belly offense of Belfrys. Seemed like Belfry only ran 4 different run plays the whole night, and Carr & Johnson where the only backs that were able to make some plays. Warren is a good QB, but he had two wide open receivers and one of them plays should've been a TD, but Warren put a little too much touch on the ball and both passes ended up getting deflected away.

Defensively Belfrys secondary got beat in 1-on-1 the whole night. Also Belfry had a lot of problems tackling too. Which is very uncommon by the Pirates.

I didn't think HC was 3 touchdowns better than Belfry, but they where the better team.

Anytime you play a Northen KY, Lexington, or Louisville team you best be ready to play. Even if that team is the worst team in their respectable city. They bring alot of speed and athleticism.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Anytime you play a Northen KY, Lexington, or Louisville team you best be ready to play. Even if that team is the worst team in their respectable city. They bring alot of speed and athleticism.

it only helps your team down the road,glad they play teams with speed, wish they played more, regular season dont mean much, just win your district, get number one seed, and then make your run in playoffs...TongueirateSho
Henry Clay could have won by more, they took it easy on Belfry! Belfry was out of gas, at the end of the third! Belfry will have to step up if they want to hang with the rest of 3 A! I have watched Prestonsburg, Sheldon Clark, and other teams play this year and i dont think they are even on their level yet, just my opinion! But hopefully they learn from that a -- kickin!
cardfan1398 Wrote:Henry Clay could have won by more, they took it easy on Belfry! Belfry was out of gas, at the end of the third! Belfry will have to step up if they want to hang with the rest of 3 A! I have watched Prestonsburg, Sheldon Clark, and other teams play this year and i dont think they are even on their level yet, just my opinion! But hopefully they learn from that a -- kickin!
If u watch them all play an u thing belfry isn't on their level u are crazy. i am going to say Belfry takes Prestonsburg to the woodshed next Friday
pirate_time Wrote:If u watch them all play an u thing belfry isn't on their level u are crazy. i am going to say Belfry takes Prestonsburg to the woodshed next Friday

remember that next friday,and i do think that,nothing wrong with liking your team,but have u watched any of the other 3 a teams,i can tell u havent.:welcome:
who are u talking about Sheldon Clark, Lawrence or are u talking about teams like Bell, Central. Because it sounds like u don't have a clue..Have a nice day!
Belfry will be fine when it comes to the district and in 3A. Its hard to compete against the Lexington, Louisville and Northern Ky schools. Bell, Belfry and the other teams in 3A will have to play the best game of their lives to beat that buzzsaw out of Louisville. Yes, they are that good.
cardfan1398 Wrote:Henry Clay could have won by more, they took it easy on Belfry! Belfry was out of gas, at the end of the third! Belfry will have to step up if they want to hang with the rest of 3 A! I have watched Prestonsburg, Sheldon Clark, and other teams play this year and i dont think they are even on their level yet, just my opinion! But hopefully they learn from that a -- kickin!

Belfry is easily 3 TDs better than everyone in their district.

I'm glad I'll be at Eldora next Friday so I don't have to witness what the Pirates will do to my Blackcats.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Belfry is easily 3 TDs better than everyone in their district.

I'm glad I'll be at Eldora next Friday so I don't have to witness what the Pirates will do to my Blackcats.

hope you will be back in time to eat crow :lmao:
BlackCatAlum,

I feel like your being sincere in your evaluation of Belfry but also sandbagging a bit at the same time. This game should serve as a wake up call the kids that play for Belfry. They are not simply so talented that they can step on the field and win, they will have to execute. AND, they will not be able to beat teams with athleticism on its face. I think they will match up well with everyone else on the schedule (Ashland being the toughest athleticism wise) but, they will have to execute and play good fundamental football every Friday night.

I still like the pieces. Haywood and staff will have them improving each week.

Nice observation puddwhacker
PaytoPlay Wrote:BlackCatAlum,

I feel like your being sincere in your evaluation of Belfry but also sandbagging a bit at the same time. This game should serve as a wake up call the kids that play for Belfry. They are not simply so talented that they can step on the field and win, they will have to execute. AND, they will not be able to beat teams with athleticism on its face. I think they will match up well with everyone else on the schedule (Ashland being the toughest athleticism wise) but, they will have to execute and play good fundamental football every Friday night.

I still like the pieces. Haywood and staff will have them improving each week.

I'm not saying that all Belfry has to do is show up to win. They're simply just more talented than everyone else in their district.

They still have a lot of work to do, but this is one of the better Belfry teams I've seen in the last 5 years.

They have the potential to get back to Bowling Green.
Interesting fact for you guys, Madison Ghormley started one game as a freshman (Whitley County), and has started since the first playoff game his sophomore year. In all of that, Belfry is 19-3 (losses to Louisville Central 10/11, Johnson Central 11) with Madison Ghormley starting at linebacker. He didn't play this game. Not saying that is the reason, but just pretty interesting.
Which way is it going to be belfry fans? Last year you REALLY played up the Pirate
win over Henry Clay when HC was NOT very good, and were downright pitiful for a
6A Lex team. Now this year they may be a little better, but you're saying this game
doesn't mean anything.

Personally I'd say at this point Belfry is NOT as good as most were expecting, and
if the Pburg game weren't at home, they might be looking at 2 straight losses. Might
be anyway.

Of course none of that means they won't be a top contender when November. Haywood
is as good as they come for keeping hsi teams improving thru the season.
There used to be two times and two times only Belfry fans would be silent: after a beatdown and when ACT scores came out. Sadly, even those two don't work anymore.
jetpilot Wrote:There used to be two times and two times only Belfry fans would be silent: after a beatdown and when ACT scores came out. Sadly, even those two don't work anymore.

Actually one of our football players got a 34 or 35 on his most recent ACT. Hell of a try, though!
Belfry0304 Wrote:Actually one of our football players got a 34 or 35 on his most recent ACT. Hell of a try, though!

Sorry, i can't resist. One out of a Hundred is not good. :biggrin:
jetpilot Wrote:There used to be two times and two times only Belfry fans would be silent: after a beatdown and when ACT scores came out. Sadly, even those two don't work anymore.

Chalk it up as another case of Belfry copying Pikeville I guess.

If anyone has learned how to be loud and proud in the shadow of an epic beat down, it is the Panthers.
This team and some of these players are hyped way out of proportion to what they have accomplished as "LEADERS."

I see a cockiness and arrogance from Belfry fans and players I haven't seen before.

Is it due to a lot of your kids not having Belfry parents - meaning their parents did not play or are not from Belfry?
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Sorry, i can't resist. One out of a Hundred is not good. :biggrin:

I don't know any of the others, but we also have a kid who graduated in 2011 in his second year pre-med and was a 2-year starter at guard.
They will grow. Warren is a leader IMO. He just needs experience at QB.
Henry Cl