Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulaski County, Somerset, and Southwestern will all face off on the gridiron
Jumper Dad Wrote:No, not at this point...

JD- we most know and talk to the same people. Hope for shs Fball sake hasty decisions aren't made.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Personally, I love this move and I am extremely excited to see all three schools face eachother every year and I hope this becomes a permanent thing. This way, we don't have the big snafu that we had a couple years ago that lasted all season long arguing about who would win between Pulaski Co and Somerset!

No arguement...SOMERSET would have won!!!
Jumper Dad Wrote:No arguement...SOMERSET would have won!!!

lol, I admire your passion for your team and they might have won but, we will never know and that is very unfortunate, IMO
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I don't think the schedule should have been forced on coach Lucas! I also believe it's common knowledge that it's gonna be a while before anyone beats Bowling Green in 5A. With that being said I can see why Johnny Hines prides himself on trying to be Somerset. Thats all the bragging rights he will have! Somerset, Pulaski, and Southwestern could combine and it still would be tough to beat BowlingGreen and not to mention that would bump you up to 6A and you will not beat Trinity! Just my opinion. But it is realistic to think you can win in 2A not easy by far but realistic. So I get why county bragging rights mean more to Johnny and a state title means more to coach Lucas! Be careful what you wish for Johnny, cause you just might get it!!!! lol
... and a king shall rise up from out of the mists!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:lol, I admire your passion for your team and they might have won but, we will never know and that is very unfortunate, IMO

No, seriously...Somerset would have won!!!:biggrin:
If you read the last two posts... that is why this game is long overdue.
It is for the players and fans. And it will bring in revenue to all three sports programs.

It amazes me at the brashness of some Somerset fans. You act like Coach Lucas doesnt want this game but its all that Coach Hines lives for. If Memory serves me correctly it was Coach Hines that was wanting out of the Correll Bowl but his administration made him schedule it. So I fail to see the difference between Coach Hines and Coach Lucus on this isuue.

As far as the Somerset fan saying that Pulaski and Southwestern do not having adequate seating to handle this event, then if you believe in that way of thinking, Somerset would never be allowed to host a basketball game.
Willie Turnover Wrote:If you read the last two posts... that is why this game is long overdue.
It is for the players and fans. And it will bring in revenue to all three sports programs.

It amazes me at the brashness of some Somerset fans. You act like Coach Lucas doesnt want this game but its all that Coach Hines lives for. If Memory serves me correctly it was Coach Hines that was wanting out of the Correll Bowl but his administration made him schedule it. So I fail to see the difference between Coach Hines and Coach Lucus on this isuue.

As far as the Somerset fan saying that Pulaski and Southwestern do not having adequate seating to handle this event, then if you believe in that way of thinking, Somerset would never be allowed to host a basketball game.

Two very misleading things in your post. 1. Johnny wanted out of the Correll Bowl because Somerset would not agree to play at one of the county schools each season. He's been pushing for this for years. 2. It is a lot different in basketball. The Pulaski County game is for seeding so it affects the postseason. In football that isn't the case. Also, the last few Southwestern and Pulaski basketball games there have been seats left over at Somerset.
Willie Turnover Wrote:If you read the last two posts... that is why this game is long overdue.

Sorry but a poor argument... Basketball is a much smaller crowd. Take note of the last attendance of the games there is no comparison. Football just brings a bigger crowd. Let's be honest for a second a really thinking about pc and sw football seating? This isn't what this discussion is even about but the seating situation does bring up a valid point that it will be an issue next fall for all three schools to be at the other two fields. There is no arguing that.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Two very misleading things in your post. 1. Johnny wanted out of the Correll Bowl because Somerset would not agree to play at one of the county schools each season. He's been pushing for this for years. 2. It is a lot different in basketball. The Pulaski County game is for seeding so it affects the postseason. In football that isn't the case. Also, the last few Southwestern and Pulaski basketball games there have been seats left over at Somerset.

Johnny wanted out of the game, his administration made him play in it. From reading this Coach Lucus dont want to play both county schools but his administration is making him. Thats the point I was attempting to make. The administration is making both coaches play a game they dont to play in.

So should every SW SHS basketball game be played in Southwesterns gym? That game is not for seeding. With Cothran there now Somerset will start filling their gym.
I agree it will be crowded and people will be standing. But I would rather stand and watch Somerset play Pulaski County than to sit in the stands and watch Somerset play East Jessamine.

I am just glad for the kids that they get to play each other every year.
Willie Turnover Wrote:Johnny wanted out of the game, his administration made him play in it. From reading this Coach Lucus dont want to play both county schools but his administration is making him. Thats the point I was attempting to make. The administration is making both coaches play a game they dont to play in.

So should every SW SHS basketball game be played in Southwesterns gym? That game is not for seeding. With Cothran there now Somerset will start filling their gym.
If there was a need due to excessive crowding sure, why not. As far as the shot about filling their gym, I've been to games at Pulaski when they didn't even pull out the bleachers on the upper level...basketball attendance at all schools isn't what it was 30 years ago when SHS @ PC was standing room only.
Willie Turnover Wrote:I agree it will be crowded and people will be standing. But I would rather stand and watch Somerset play Pulaski County than to sit in the stands and watch Somerset play East Jessamine.

I am just glad for the kids that they get to play each other every year.
Well Somerset played at Jessamine the laast two years so that didn't take away from the home schedule any.

Home games worth watching this year, Hazard, Whitley Co, Breathitt, Perry Co...plus district games and Correll Bowl
Jumper Dad Wrote:If there was a need due to excessive crowding sure, why not. As far as the shot about filling their gym, I've been to games at Pulaski when they didn't even pull out the bleachers on the upper level...basketball attendance at all schools isn't what it was 30 years ago when SHS @ PC was standing room only.

Hey that wasnt intended to be a shot. That was in reference to the last line in Norm's post #38.

I think Southwestern should play in Somersets gym. But I also believe Somerset should play at Southwesterns field. Thats just my opinion.
This is going to be a great season. So many teams I want to see battle for a title. Good luck to all!
I have been to several of the RC bowl games and I will be very honest, how much money would SHS made if the county schools were not playing in that game. If let's say SHS would play Rock, and in the other game it was oh I don't know, McCreary and Garrard? Allow me to answer that, no much. So let's not make it out that PC and SW was the only one's who benefited from that game. Remember both PC and SW would have a great gate simply by playing each other like they do every year.

I've seen some of the crowds SHS has drawn over the years, like Jackson Co. Not a very big gate at all.

With the DM bowl it will be another big gate for the schools who need the money to continue the success they have had over the years and we all know it takes money to do that.

So either play both bowl games SHS, SW and PC or don't play any of them. It is clear the loser is going to be SHS because they will not have near the gate without the County schools that the county schools will have with the DM bowl.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:I have been to several of the RC bowl games and I will be very honest, how much money would SHS made if the county schools were not playing in that game. If let's say SHS would play Rock, and in the other game it was oh I don't know, McCreary and Garrard? Allow me to answer that, no much. So let's not make it out that PC and SW was the only one's who benefited from that game. Remember both PC and SW would have a great gate simply by playing each other like they do every year.

I've seen some of the crowds SHS has drawn over the years, like Jackson Co. Not a very big gate at all.

With the DM bowl it will be another big gate for the schools who need the money to continue the success they have had over the years and we all know it takes money to do that.

So either play both bowl games SHS, SW and PC or don't play any of them. It is clear the loser is going to be SHS because they will not have near the gate without the County schools that the county schools will have with the DM bowl.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :Clap:
Don't know much about the Gate and Such, All I can say is be careful what you wish for. You may just get it. Good Luck to all the Teams except when playing the Jumpers.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Two very misleading things in your post. 1. Johnny wanted out of the Correll Bowl because Somerset would not agree to play at one of the county schools each season. He's been pushing for this for years. 2. It is a lot different in basketball. The Pulaski County game is for seeding so it affects the postseason. In football that isn't the case. Also, the last few Southwestern and Pulaski basketball games there have been seats left over at Somerset.

Norm you are very close! Good stuff. Let me fill in the gaps. Coach Hines never wanted to be in the Correll Bowl in the first place. He wanted to keep the home and home series alive that Somerset and PC had in place at that time. Hines only joined up for the Correll Bowl in 2003, because Bob Tucker promised him PC would play Somerset. (Hines was still stinging from a loss to Somerset in 2002). Somerset Coach Jay Cobb, magically switched the matchups, wanting no part of Draughn, Denham, Sexton, etc. (Hines wasn't present for the contract signings. AD's handled that.) PC got Russell County that year. The next year, 2004, PC beat a good Somerset team in an upset in the Correll Bowl. This enraged Jay Cobb so much, that he again reversed the match ups when contracts were renewed in 05. PC played Somerset again, in a "once only instance" of PC playing Somerset two consecutive years in the Correll Bowl, and successfully avoided a loaded Southwestern team.

It was at this point that Coach Hines was done with the Correll Bowl. He was mad at Cobb. He went to Dale Anderson, (then coach of Southwestern), and had him to agree to pull out of the Correll Bowl together, forcing Somerset to play a home-and-home series with both county schools. This was Hines plan. Somerset would have to play to recoup some money lost in a Correll Bowl without the two county schools. Dale Anderson turn-tailed, and ran back to Somerset, and the Correll Bowl, when the heat came on. They left PC and Coach Hines hanging on the limb. Hines decided to stay out of the Correll Bowl anyway. At this point, his administration forced him and PC back into the Correll Bowl. (Coach Hines was so mad at this he almost left PC. He had some offers, and would have taken one, accept his son, Winston was a player in the program. Winston wanted to stay. We are all glad they stayed!)

Since then, Coach Hines has had ZERO negotiations with Somerset about any games whatsoever. The recent agreement to play in the "Don Marshall Bowl" for 2013-14, had nothing to do with Coach Hines. The irony is not lost on us long time PC fans though. These recent events made the Somerset-PC game a home-and-home series again. Just like Hines tried to do 6 years ago.
Santa Monica Wrote:Norm you are very close! Good stuff. Let me fill in the gaps. Coach Hines never wanted to be in the Correll Bowl in the first place. He wanted to keep the home and home series alive that Somerset and PC had in place at that time. Hines only joined up for the Correll Bowl in 2003, because Bob Tucker promised him PC would play Somerset. (Hines was still stinging from a loss to Somerset in 2002). Somerset Coach Jay Cobb, magically switched the matchups, wanting no part of Draughn, Denham, Sexton, etc. (Hines wasn't present for the contract signings. AD's handled that.) PC got Russell County that year. The next year, 2004, PC beat a good Somerset team in an upset in the Correll Bowl. This enraged Jay Cobb so much, that he again reversed the match ups when contracts were renewed in 05. PC played Somerset again, in a "once only instance" of PC playing Somerset two consecutive years in the Correll Bowl, and successfully avoided a loaded Southwestern team.

It was at this point that Coach Hines was done with the Correll Bowl. He was mad at Cobb. He went to Dale Anderson, (then coach of Southwestern), and had him to agree to pull out of the Correll Bowl together, forcing Somerset to play a home-and-home series with both county schools. This was Hines plan. Somerset would have to play to recoup some money lost in a Correll Bowl without the two county schools. Dale Anderson turn-tailed, and ran back to Somerset, and the Correll Bowl, when the heat came on. They left PC and Coach Hines hanging on the limb. Hines decided to stay out of the Correll Bowl anyway. At this point, his administration forced him and PC back into the Correll Bowl. (Coach Hines was so mad at this he almost left PC. He had some offers, and would have taken one, accept his son, Winston was a player in the program. Winston wanted to stay. We are all glad they stayed!)

Since then, Coach Hines has had ZERO negotiations with Somerset about any games whatsoever. The recent agreement to play in the "Don Marshall Bowl" for 2013-14, had nothing to do with Coach Hines. The irony is not lost on us long time PC fans though. These recent events made the Somerset-PC game a home-and-home series again. Just like Hines tried to do 6 years ago.
Great post and very true. Somerset optioned out of a JV game with PC this season to go play @ Green county, Meece will not play either county middle school and Lucas did not want to play PC and SW in the same year, in the next few years, fact! Twist it however you want, but its the truth. Now with that being said, football talent in highschool comes and goes- 5 years from now Somerset may have the best young talent coming and that is just how it works. Bottom line is all three programs have had football sucess over the past few years and it has to be nothing but good for all the schools to play each other.
Santa Monica Wrote:Norm you are very close! Good stuff. Let me fill in the gaps. Coach Hines never wanted to be in the Correll Bowl in the first place. He wanted to keep the home and home series alive that Somerset and PC had in place at that time. Hines only joined up for the Correll Bowl in 2003, because Bob Tucker promised him PC would play Somerset. (Hines was still stinging from a loss to Somerset in 2002). Somerset Coach Jay Cobb, magically switched the matchups, wanting no part of Draughn, Denham, Sexton, etc. (Hines wasn't present for the contract signings. AD's handled that.) PC got Russell County that year. The next year, 2004, PC beat a good Somerset team in an upset in the Correll Bowl. This enraged Jay Cobb so much, that he again reversed the match ups when contracts were renewed in 05. PC played Somerset again, in a "once only instance" of PC playing Somerset two consecutive years in the Correll Bowl, and successfully avoided a loaded Southwestern team.

Your memory fails you my friend. 2002, PC was lucky they didn't get beat by 40 (if they didn't take Tucker out they would have). 2003, PC was good I will give you that, can't say they were so much better than that Somerset team though. 2004, Somerset was not good at all (4 seniors, none of whom contributed) and the only thing that was upsetting about that game was that Somerset still could have and should have won. 2005, SW was far from loaded, neither team could have stayed within a couple TD's of Somerset that year. Don't try to dramatize things, we were there too.
By improving Somerset's competition we will see an increase or decrease in how well they will be able to handle the next level. Some teams play better when the level of competition is better. Some teams play down to their competition. It's just a matter of how well there mind set is. Either way, it should be a great year and I'm fired up to follow them all the way!

I'm not sure of the year but one of those times that Somerset played a team back to back occurred because Danville was the fourth team in the RCB and was already on Southwestern's schedule for that year. If Somerset wouldn't have played the same county team two times in a row it would have resulted in Southwestern playing Danville twice in one year.
RoShamBo Wrote:Your memory fails you my friend. 2002, PC was lucky they didn't get beat by 40 (if they didn't take Tucker out they would have). 2003, PC was good I will give you that, can't say they were so much better than that Somerset team though. 2004, Somerset was not good at all (4 seniors, none of whom contributed) and the only thing that was upsetting about that game was that Somerset still could have and should have won. 2005, SW was far from loaded, neither team could have stayed within a couple TD's of Somerset that year. Don't try to dramatize things, we were there too.

RSB- Take off ur purple colored glasses for just a min. geeez:Cheerlead
wildthang3 Wrote:RSB- Take off ur purple colored glasses for just a min. geeez:Cheerlead
He earned those Purple Colored glasses with his blood and sweat, I think he has the right to wear them all he wants!
Bottom Line, the powers to be will do whatever they want to do. Don't matter what Coaches want. Just not Right, Why have a Man in charge of your program and not let him make decisions about the Program.
wildthang3 Wrote:RSB- Take off ur purple colored glasses for just a min. geeez:Cheerlead

They may be purple, but they see the truth. If you are going to distort history to service your agenda I'm going to call you out on it.
RoShamBo Wrote:Your memory fails you my friend. 2002, PC was lucky they didn't get beat by 40 (if they didn't take Tucker out they would have). 2003, PC was good I will give you that, can't say they were so much better than that Somerset team though. 2004, Somerset was not good at all (4 seniors, none of whom contributed) and the only thing that was upsetting about that game was that Somerset still could have and should have won. 2005, SW was far from loaded, neither team could have stayed within a couple TD's of Somerset that year. Don't try to dramatize things, we were there too.

24-14 (2002 SHS - PC score) is hardly losing by 40. And Tucker wasn't "taken out," he had his collar bone broken and couldn't play anymore. Heath Randall finished the game at QB. I don't know how many seniors "contributed" in 2004, but SHS was ranked in the top 10 pre-season, and was a 3 TD favorite over PC that night. That was the night Jay Cobb made his famous quote, "If I ever lose to a county team again, I'll quit." He then promptly lost to SWHS in 06, and PC again in 07. Your memory is fantasy.
Santa Monica Wrote:24-14 (2002 SHS - PC score) is hardly losing by 40. And Tucker wasn't "taken out," he had his collar bone broken and couldn't play anymore. Heath Randall finished the game at QB. I don't know how many seniors "contributed" in 2004, but SHS was ranked in the top 10 pre-season, and was a 3 TD favorite over PC that night. That was the night Jay Cobb made his famous quote, "If I ever lose to a county team again, I'll quit." He then promptly lost to SWHS in 06, and PC again in 07. Your memory is fantasy.

What about your reasoning that Cobb changed the schedule twice to avoid one of the county schools? You seemed to disregard what I said earlier about one of those occassions being because Southwestern already had Danville on their schedule that year and it HAD to be reversed. If you are going to call others out on their faulty memory own up to your own.
Norm Peterson Wrote:What about your reasoning that Cobb changed the schedule twice to avoid one of the county schools? You seemed to disregard what I said earlier about one of those occassions being because Southwestern already had Danville on their schedule that year and it HAD to be reversed. If you are going to call others out on their faulty memory own up to your own.

Maybe. I don't know about that. I know PC played Danville in the Correll Bowl in 2006 I think. Hadn't heard that was the reason for the switch.