Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
88.24%
Greenup County
11.76%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Greenup 8/24
Thoughts on this matchup.
All devils all day.
^what he said.
Russell 23 Grennup 8
Greenup County 28
Russell 21
I'm predicting a total beat down.
Russell 45
GC 7
Not even close.

Russell wins easily.
I think Russell runs away with this one.
The Red Devils will have their hand full.
I see alot of younger Devils getting some playing time.
Russell 34
Greenup 7
Russell 42
Greenup 7
Russell big
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Russell won last season's game by 3 td's at home. I see this one being much closer on the road as I believe that Greenup has improved some but not enough to get the win Russell 35-28
Russell
Russell 42 Greenup 21
Greenup has improved but I assume Russell has as well. So I think it's gonna be more of the same for Greenup

Russell 35

Greenup 7
I like how all the Russell people have this game won and their team has'nt even took a snap, would like to see them get beat and eat crow all the way back to Flatwoods, they think they are way better than anybody they play, but they put their pants on one leg at a time, great sportsmanship by the EVIL EMPIRE really showing your Devil side, may you burn
I believe both of these teams are much improved from last season. I know GC made a much better game with PCC, but is that due to the Muskies being improved or PCC being down this year...I'm not sure, a little of both I think. I think Ivan's Devils pull this in, especially if Lance's receivers are catching the ball. I believe he'll be a nightmare for any D if his receivers pull in the ball.
Russell.
old warrior Wrote:I like how all the Russell people have this game won and their team has'nt even took a snap, would like to see them get beat and eat crow all the way back to Flatwoods, they think they are way better than anybody they play, but they put their pants on one leg at a time, great sportsmanship by the EVIL EMPIRE really showing your Devil side, may you burn

I've got to ask. How is it poor sportsmanship to say we think our team will win and probably by 3 or 4 TDs, if that is what we believe?

PCC lost a ton and is down a bit. GC tied Bath County in the EKC grid. Russell did pretty much what they wanted in the scrmage with LC before getting beat up by Spring Valley. I fail to see how considering Russell the big favorite in this game is disrespectful in any way unless you are just desperately searching for some kind of motivation.

It also seems like more than just Russell fans picking against GC. You Evil people you.
FBALL Wrote:I've got to ask. How is it poor sportsmanship to say we think our team will win and probably by 3 or 4 TDs, if that is what we believe?

PCC lost a ton and is down a bit. GC tied Bath County in the EKC grid. Russell did pretty much what they wanted in the scrmage with LC before getting beat up by Spring Valley. I fail to see how considering Russell the big favorite in this game is disrespectful in any way unless you are just desperately searching for some kind of motivation.

It also seems like more than just Russell fans picking against GC. You Evil people you.

Agreed. I think adding Evans and getting hayes out in space makes Russell much more dangerous offensively. I expect the devils to make some noise in 3A
Russel 42

Greenup 14
I just don't see Greenup being able to stop the DEVILS but I see it a little closer than what most people are calling for. You have to remember that Greeup has 1 game under their belts and the DEVILS don't.
The Inspiration of Ivan

Rocky Stanley 08/23/2012 6:00 AM

As lightning delayed Russell from getting on the football practice field Tuesday, Ivan McGlone leaned on his walker just outside the locker room and kept an eye on the weather.
Certainly, McGlone is looking expectantly to this, his 37th head coaching season with the Red Devils. They open Friday night at Greenup County.* *
During an offseason flooded with heartache and physical setbacks for Russell's beloved 74-year-old legend, McGlone often wondered if he could make it back to the sideline this summer — or perhaps ever.
It's been a long and painful ordeal.
---
In April, his wife, Gloria, who almost never missed attending Russell games, passed away after a long and courageous battle with cancer.
Ivan had back surgery three months prior tothat and has experienced a difficult recovery, including two staph infections (back) and a blood clot in his right leg. But the emotional part has been the hardest.
“My wife dying ... everything else is secondary,” an emotional McGlone said this summer.
Many in the school community have reached out to the popular coach and retired teacher.
McGlone's coaching staff is like family, and they assist him at every opportunity. That included driving him here and there, until McGlone was able to get back behind the wheel recently. *
“We all do everything we can,” defensive coordinator Garry Morris said. “Ivan has always been an independent soul. The best thing is, we don't need to hear that he appreciates it because we already know.”
After the operation on his lower back, McGlone said he didn't get out of bed for 21 days. And with all the medical problems that followed, McGlone figured that he was in and out of the hospital about 145 days.
“It got to be a joke,” he said. “The nurses gave me what I called a hall pass.”
McGlone's recovery from the surgery and other complications progressed slowly through the spring and into the summer.
That led him to “wonder about whether you can do your job of not.”
The man with 303 coaching wins at Russell said he offered to resign during the spring, but athletic director Sam Sparks wouldn't hear of it.
It's often been noted McGlone has been great for Russell football, and that football has been great for McGlone. That holds true now as much as ever. *
“For him to fight through everything he has, it's an inspiration to all of us,” Sparks said. “I think being around young people again has been the best medicine for him.”
The Hall of Fame coach said he wouldn't know what to do with himself without football. Although McGlone gets around the practice field in a mule utility vehicle that belongs to assistant coach Jeff Smith, he hasn't been able to do much hands-on instruction because of his limited mobility.
Lately, McGlone's left leg strength has improved to the extent that he can lift it across his right foot. He continues to do physical therapy three days a week and uses a walker on a regular basis.
For weeks, McGlone’s goal has been to make it down the steps for Russell’s first home game — next Friday against Ironton.
“There are still chapters in his life story that have yet to be written,” Sparks said. “All of us … football players, staff and coaches, learn from him on a daily basis. I don’t think any of us want to imagine what Friday nights will be like without coach McGlone.”
ROCKY STANLEY can be reached at [email]rstanley@dailyindependent.com[/email] or (606) 326-2671.
Russell by 21
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Russell by 10
old warrior Wrote:I like how all the Russell people have this game won and their team has'nt even took a snap, would like to see them get beat and eat crow all the way back to Flatwoods, they think they are way better than anybody they play, but they put their pants on one leg at a time, great sportsmanship by the EVIL EMPIRE really showing your Devil side, may you burn

Ok so now that Russell has taken a few snaps and have a game under their belts how about coming to the Russell/Greenup discussion and offering your insight as to the actual game itself?