Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley co 2012
^
:truestory:
Whats whitleys schedule look like this year
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Whats whitleys schedule look like this year

Murderer's row.Rock, Perry, Harlan Co., Letcher Central, and Boyle County are the 5 I know off the top of my head, RIUTG has more insight here. I assume Russell County, Bell County, and Somerset will also be back on their schedule.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Whats whitleys schedule look like this year

Aug 24 Russell County Home
Aug 31 Rockcastle County Home
Sept 7 Bell County Away
Sept 14 Clay County Away
Sept 21 Lynn Camp Home
Sept 28 Somerset Away
Oct 5 Perry County Central Home
Oct 12 Harlan County Away
Oct 19 Letcher County Central Away
Oct 26 Boyle County Home

This should be right.
Just like last year, we will have a bye week in week 0.
If you remove Lynn Camp, Clay, and Letchers records Whitley opponents went 67-21 last year.
A lot of those teams had really good year, except of course LC and Clay who had one win combined and a 4-7 letcher team.
Im excited about this year but it could get away from us quickly and kill moral with a schedule like this.
I hope we have good games against Russell and Rock to start the year off and if we could pull and upset of Bell then things could go well the rest of the year.

If everything works out well, we should have around 16 Seniors, 10 Juniors, 15 Sophomores, and around 20 Fresh. As well all know, numbers drop off when it comes time to actually play and practice, but Im expecting 50 players dressed atleast and this is with almost everyone returning except a few key lineman. This is where the season will be decided. If we can have a lot of guys grow up and get ready to play on the line then we should be fine. IMHO, our backfield will be stacked.
I don't think that you will pull off the upset of beating Bell County. I think that you will have a better chance of beating Russell Co and Rockcastle Co.
^
I said if we start the season out well and can get by Rock and Russell and have momentum going into the Bell game we could pull the upset.

Its not impossible, we beat Bell up my soph year and went to Bell my junior year and handled them pretty good. Obviously things are a lot different today, but it can be done.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I said if we start the season out well and can get by Rock and Russell and have momentum going into the Bell game we could pull the upset.

Its not impossible, we beat Bell up my soph year and went to Bell my junior year and handled them pretty good. Obviously things are a lot different today, but it can be done.

Nothing is impossible but a HUGE uphill battle. Bell County will be a lot better than last season.
5-5 and a 2 seed in the district.
Amped 88 Wrote:Nothing is impossible but a HUGE uphill battle. Bell County will be a lot better than last season.

:Thumbs:
I think Whitley will be good this year. I'm looking forward to seeing how Boston Bryant plays. That kid is a hoss!
Whitley has a very demanding schedule, so a 6-4 regular season should be considered good. They need to finish no lower than second in their district, which should set them up for a pretty good playoff run.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im excited about this year but it could get away from us quickly and kill moral with a schedule like this.
I hope we have good games against Russell and Rock to start the year off and if we could pull and upset of Bell then things could go well the rest of the year.

If everything works out well, we should have around 16 Seniors, 10 Juniors, 15 Sophomores, and around 20 Fresh. As well all know, numbers drop off when it comes time to actually play and practice, but Im expecting 50 players dressed atleast and this is with almost everyone returning except a few key lineman. This is where the season will be decided. If we can have a lot of guys grow up and get ready to play on the line then we should be fine. IMHO, our backfield will be stacked.

I think opening game Whitley will dress in 50's. Last year was same but when playoff game rolled around I think only 27-28 dressed. So, I guess alot depends on how season goes.
footballfever Wrote:I think opening game Whitley will dress in 50's. Last year was same but when playoff game rolled around I think only 27-28 dressed. So, I guess alot depends on how season goes.

True.
As the season progressess and kids see there not playing or get low on moral some tend to quit. It happens with just about all programs.
You know as well as i do, Whitley should be dressing around 70 atleast.

The dropoff from 8th grade to frosh and frosh to soph has always been a problem at Whitley, not just with Black.
Whitley has never dressed 70 or even 60 that I am aware of. That being said I think that in a couple of years they [I]could[/I] dress 60 and nothing breeds success like success, but even after the 12-2 season the numbers did not go up.

Whitley has the problem of being a rural school, when Jim Black was at Williamsburg he could have almost unlimited practice time but at Whitley he has to deal with buses to take the kids home at a certain time. Parents just do not give a rip if a kid plays or not, regardless of if the kid is good or not.

Sometimes I think numbers (to a certain extent) are overrated. Whitley's best year they only had 7 seniors they did have a nice junior class to go along with them. This year I think you will see a wide range of players contributing from 2-3 freshmen to a host of seniors. The big thing is that you need some of those middle level guys who can play a few plays and special teams to give your studs a rest.

Whitley's problem last year was defense and think they will be much improved on that side of the ball this year and with a potent offense they will be much improved. 7-3 is do-able, 6-4 is probably more realistic, and 5-5 would be what most people think they will have, but I see a lot of similarities between 07 & 08 and last years team and this years team. If the offensive line comes around they could be seriously good.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:Whitley has never dressed 70 or even 60 that I am aware of. That being said I think that in a couple of years they [I]could[/I] dress 60 and nothing breeds success like success, but even after the 12-2 season the numbers did not go up.

Whitley has the problem of being a rural school, when Jim Black was at Williamsburg he could have almost unlimited practice time but at Whitley he has to deal with buses to take the kids home at a certain time. Parents just do not give a rip if a kid plays or not, regardless of if the kid is good or not.

Sometimes I think numbers (to a certain extent) are overrated. Whitley's best year they only had 7 seniors they did have a nice junior class to go along with them. This year I think you will see a wide range of players contributing from 2-3 freshmen to a host of seniors. The big thing is that you need some of those middle level guys who can play a few plays and special teams to give your studs a rest.

Whitley's problem last year was defense and think they will be much improved on that side of the ball this year and with a potent offense they will be much improved. 7-3 is do-able, 6-4 is probably more realistic, and 5-5 would be what most people think they will have, but I see a lot of similarities between 07 & 08 and last years team and this years team. If the offensive line comes around they could be seriously good.

I agree with that 100%
And like you said, weve never dressed 70, but i was just saying we should or could.
I too agree its overrated, your only as good as the 11 you got on the field.

I hope we can do what we did in 07 into 08. Last year was 07 and it wouldnt bother me to get back to the state semis lol.

As another posted said, with this schedule, 6-4 should be considered a pretty good year. If we go 7-3 or better ill be extremely happen.
Its not impossible.
Whitley always plays Pulaski teams tough
^
Theyve had some battles.
Whitley beat em in 08 but lost to them in 09 in a VERY close game.
In that 09 game we probably could have run it in for a TD to win the game but for some reason Black called a pass play and it got intercepted close to the endzone with a minute or two left.
Thos were a couple of great games.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I agree with that 100%
And like you said, weve never dressed 70, but i was just saying we should or could.
I too agree its overrated, your only as good as the 11 you got on the field.

I hope we can do what we did in 07 into 08. Last year was 07 and it wouldnt bother me to get back to the state semis lol.

As another posted said, with this schedule, 6-4 should be considered a pretty good year. If we go 7-3 or better ill be extremely happen.
Its not impossible.

It's not the 11 best it's the best 11!!!!!! "08" Boston Eagles
I do think in 5A football you have to be able have some depth.
^
lol
footballfever Wrote:It's not the 11 best it's the best 11!!!!!! "08" Boston Eagles
I do think in 5A football you have to be able have some depth.

I would think that at the 5A level you would haveto have some depth, which has been a problem with the Colonels in the past, but there should be some Boston Eagles who are going to help that problem this season.
I tink Whitley will be a very good Team. 6-4 on year and #2 in Dist.IMO
^
Considering our schedule and district, i think id be happy with that.

If your only four losses on the year are to Bell, Boyle, Harlan County, and a Russell or Somerset, i think many teams could live with that considering many teams would also lose to all of them as well.
5-5 should be a good goal for the colonels and a playoff win.
Very tough schedule probably to tough.
6-6 season would a success IMO.
I think whitley will go 6-4, there losses will be too Bell County, Somerset, Harlan County and Boyle County.. i do think there game with somerset could go either way and i really think they will play harlan county tough.
The final schedule is set.
First week will be open.

Aug 24, 12 Russell County home 7:30 PM
Aug 31, 12 Rockcastle County home 7:30 PM
Sep 7, 12 Bell County away 7:30 PM
Sep 14, 12 Clay County away 7:30 PM
Sep 21, 12 Lynn Camp home 7:30 PM
Sep 28, 12 Somerset away 7:30 PM
Oct 5, 12 Perry County Central home 7:30 PM
Oct 12, 12 Harlan County away 7:30 PM
Oct 19, 12 Letcher County Central away 7:30 PM
Oct 26, 12 Boyle County home 7:30 PM
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:The final schedule is set.
First week will be open.

Aug 24, 12 Russell County home 7:30 PM
Aug 31, 12 Rockcastle County home 7:30 PM
Sep 7, 12 Bell County away 7:30 PM
Sep 14, 12 Clay County away 7:30 PM
Sep 21, 12 Lynn Camp home 7:30 PM
Sep 28, 12 Somerset away 7:30 PM
Oct 5, 12 Perry County Central home 7:30 PM
Oct 12, 12 Harlan County away 7:30 PM
Oct 19, 12 Letcher County Central away 7:30 PM
Oct 26, 12 Boyle County home 7:30 PM

Add Johnson Central AWAY and Pulaski HOME for 2 scrimmages. I really think Whitley could go into Harlan Co. anywhere from 6-1 to 1-6.
^
True.
I hadnt heard the Pulaski scrimmage was a done deal.
Thats made it even more of a tough season.
i see whitley going 3- 7 or 4-6 at best