Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyle County 4 Oldham County 1 (KHSAA State Tournament)
Final

Boyle County (31-11) will play Estill County tomorrow at 9:00 AM. Oldham County (34-7) will play Nicholas County at 11:00 AM.
Congrats to Boyle County!
Prep Softball: Boyle County beats Oldham County 4-1 in first round of state softball tournament

Amy Woolum and Hannah Chadwell each drove in two runs and Hannah Miniard scattered five hits Thursday as Boyle County beat No. 22 Oldham County 4-1 in the first round of the Rawlings/KHSAA Softball State Tournament in Owensboro.
Boyle (31-11) plays Estill County at 10 a.m. Friday morning. Estill (31-9) beat Nicholas County 3-2 in Thursday’s first-round game.
Topics
Softball
“It was a good win, a good win. I thought the girls came out and did a great job of being focused,”¿Boyle coach Brian Deem said. “I thought we did the right thing by coming down a day early to practice. And we came out early today and showed them around the field so they would be comfortable with their surroundings.
“I thought Hannah did a great job in the circle. And defensively, I thought Cullen Byrne was absolutely fantastic at third base with three big-time plays. And Lauren Richards as well. And we got ourselves out of a couple of tight spots at the end.”
Woolum was 2-for-2 with a double and scored a run, Miniard struck out seven and walked four to improve to 11-3 on the season.
Boyle led 1-0 before pushing across three runs in the bottom of the fourth.
KK¿Davis drew a one-out walk and Kalin Bottoms ran for her. She went to second on a wild pitch and third when Lindsy Edwards struck out but made it first after the ball got passed Oldham catcher Rebecca Wishnevski. Woolum then doubled to right filed to score Bottom and Edwards. Chadwell’s single scored Woolum and the Rebels led 4-0.
“Woolum came through with a heck of a double,” Deem said.
Boyle pushed across its first run in the bottom of the second.
Sammi Key singled and Cullen Byrne ran for her. Edwards reached on a fielder’s choice and Woolum walked to load the bases. With two outs, Chadwell drew a walk off of Jessica Leanhart (29-6) to score Byrne.
Oldham scored in the sixth when Alli Veech scored on a bases-loaded walk by Wishnevski. But Byrne got the assist on the final out at first to end the threat. She also ended the game with an unassisted force out Leanhart.

Rawlings/KHSAA Softball State Tournament
At Jack C. Fisher Park, Owensboro
First Round
Oldham County 000 001 0 — 1 5 2
Boyle County 010 300 x — 4 6 1
Leanhart and Wishnevski. Miniard and Hasty. W—Miniard (11-3). L—Leanhart (29-6). 2B—Woolum (BC).

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...1071.story