Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley co 2012
I am just wondering if Whitley is going to have a better season. How many returning starters do they have and do they have any upcoming good players?
They should be improved, although they have rugged schedule with Bell, Rock, Russell Co, Somerset and Boyle on the non-district part of their schedule. They return the best fullback east of I-75; Boston Bryant 6-2 265, 4.8 along with their QB and 3 or 4 offensive linemen. Offense was not really the question with Whitley last year, it was the defense, a year older and stronger the young kids will be better and they do have some VERY talented incoming freshmen. One or two will be seeing the field. Says here: Whitley will be improved.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:They should be improved, although they have rugged schedule with Bell, Rock, Russell Co, Somerset and Boyle on the non-district part of their schedule. They return the best fullback east of I-75; Boston Bryant 6-2 265, along with their QB and 3 or 4 offensive linemen. Offense was not really the question with Whitley last year, it was the defense, a year older and stronger the young kids will be better and they do have some VERY talented incoming freshmen. One or two will be seeing the field. Says here: Whitley will be improved.

They should win 4 games this year maybe 5. Harlan,Bell, Rock, Russell,Boyle and Somerset will be loses.
Whitley should be better than 4 or 5 wins. It would be a big dissapointment for them to come in at .500 this year.
Whitley returns virtually everyone except for a few lineman. A good senior class added with a bunch of good young talent should do us well.
Whitley will have the toughest schedule in the mountains again and its not an easy one.
Russell County Home
Rockcastle County Home
Bell County Away
Clay County Away
Lynn Camp Home
Somerset Away
Perry Central Home
Harlan County Away
Letcher Central Away
Boyle County Home

IMO, Whitley CAN (not that they will) win every game on that schedule this year with the excetion of maybe Boyle, but it is at home. Russell lost a little bit. Britt was a fantastic player and Russell couldnt stop the run last year but stopped us when it mattered in the end zone, i expect Whitley to take that first one at home. The Rock game should be a flip flop of last year IMO. I honestly believe this is the best chance we have of beating Bell in the last 5 years, but its at Log Mountain, it should be a good game with no blow out either way. Clay, Lynn Camp, Someret, and Perry should all be wins. Harlan County should be a good game but they will be the favorite and who knows about Letcher. Its untelling what they'll come out with but the underdog usually wins.

People are expecting a good season from these boys and it should be one. These young guys surprised me last year with the way they played and while it was a great yea in the win/loss column, this offense should click and rack up a lot of yards running the ball. As someone else said, the big question is defense. We have to get better than we were last year and from what im hearing the numbers are pretty good. If we want to win we cant have our entire backfield playing both ways as they did last year along with pretty much everyone.
Should be a good one. I cant wait for August.
How did the JV and frosh teams at Whitley do last year?
I think this team has the best full back period... and he is a great kid. I think Whitley wll win 7 and finish second in the region behind the bears.
They well be a 7-8 win team
5-5 Possibly 6-4 They will be 2 seed in the district.
If they can't throw, I don't see them beating Boyle. That QB last year had a bad game against Boyle but I thought he was talented.
The Freshmen and JV teams were very average last year but got better as the year progressed. The thing you have to remember is that several of the kids who normally would be playing JV last year were playing varsity. Several kids got reps at the JV level that may not have gotten reps in years past so that will help the Colonels the coming season. Several young linemen will have to step in and fill some not so big shoes, but with the likes of Boston Bryant in the backfield they will be a force. There are some excellent young defensive players and that should afford the Colonels an opportunity to be much better overall defensively.
Im excited about seeing the Mills kid step in as a freshmen.
He may have been one of the best middle school football players ive ever seen at Whitley.
One things for sure, we will be MUCH better than last year and much more experienced.
A few months ago the district was wide open.
Is Harlan County now the favorite again?
^
Already starting again i see.
Yes the district is wide open.
IMO Whitley got much better while Harlan stayed about the same and PCC along with LCC got worse.
We will see come August who got better and who didnt.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
IMO Whitley got much better while Harlan stayed about the same and PCC along with LCC got worse.

I agree with Whitley being much improved:1:

I still think Harlan is the favorite due to their coach, but I would bet that Whitley has just as much talent.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^

What makes you say HC stayed the same? You have no idea how hard those kids work.
I agree about the Mills kid. With his experience leading his team to the finals this year and his experience on the all state team he should do very well. I wonder if Black will have him play JV or if he will play any varsity?
With the Coaching hire of Rains I would throw Letchers name in the mix for winning the district now.:Thumbs:
Rains is an excellent coach and is from Williamsburg! Ironic!
Yogibear Wrote:What makes you say HC stayed the same? You have no idea how hard those kids work.

That's an improvement. He said earlier they wouldn't be as good.
Yogibear Wrote:What makes you say HC stayed the same? You have no idea how hard those kids work.

nobody said they didn't work hard but compared to the years before HC didn't progress like years past.
I think Whitley will be much improved from last year, but the defense will be the question. I've preached many times on what B Bryant brings to the game. I still say there's no other full back like him in Kentucky. So, I expect WC to have closed the gap between them and HC, but I think there's still a slight gap. Letcher and and Perry will be fighting for 3rd.

We'll have to wait till Week 2 to see how good Whitley is though, because Russell Co is going to be much improved this year, and although last years game was much closer than the score indicated, the Colonels will be starting the year 0-1 again.
wildone89 Wrote:nobody said they didn't work hard but compared to the years before HC didn't progress like years past.

Didn't progress? They haven't even played a dang game yet.
october Wrote:I agree about the Mills kid. With his experience leading his team to the finals this year and his experience on the all state team he should do very well. I wonder if Black will have him play JV or if he will play any varsity?

He'll see some laying time on Fridays, that i am sure about.

Theres nothing like you an HDE to brighten my day up.
Im looking forward to trolling your ass all year long.
As for Harlan County, i gave a compliment by saying they were the favorites again but HDE ruined it being his usual asshole self.
Yogibear Wrote:Didn't progress? They haven't even played a dang game yet.

Then why dont you list all of last years starters you lost and name who is going to take their place.
They got kids back expect them to be there come october
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Then why dont you list all of last years starters you lost and name who is going to take their place.

They practice today from 3-5. Go watch for yourself. Too many kids read this crap to post names on here and and leave some kids off and give them the impression that others don't think they can play. Too early for that junk. You post the names of all the kids on Whitley's team and leave a bunch off. Let them have the hurt feelings.
Yogibear Wrote:They practice today from 3-5. Go watch for yourself. Too many kids read this crap to post names on here and and leave some kids off and give them the impression that others don't think they can play. Too early for that junk. You post the names of all the kids on Whitley's team and leave a bunch off. Let them have the hurt feelings.

So in other words, you have no clue who even plays for the team you root for, correct?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So in other words, you have no clue who even plays for the team you root for, correct?

OK. First off I can tell you they have 8 back on defense- Whitehead, Miracle, Middleton, Caldwell, Caudill, Long, Maggard, Chitwood. I can list first name and position if you want me to. Offensively they lost Brewer, Mcmillian, Smith, Brock and Calton. They have two full time O-line starters back-Whitehead and Cooper. One other kid, Ely, played about 60p percent of the offensive snaps when Whitehead played at the blocking back. Hard to replace the linemen but they have some kids working their tails off to replace them and who are very capable: Will Banks, Justin Hensley, Ryan Dempsey, Isaac Mitchell, Mark Messer, Bo Harris, Sam Meade, Gary Helton, Aaron Mefford--Is that enough? You want heights, weights and grade too? All of those kids have performed well on JV and freshman levels amongst several others on the team. They will be more than capable this year. 3 kids competing for QB- too early to tell. Anthony Jenkins has only lost one game as a freshman, JV starter. Austin Maggard who is trying to play QB after moving from WR. Zack Caldwell, a sophomore to be- big, strong kid. 4 kids competing for McMillian's carries not even counting Middleton who had 1400+ yards of his own last season. (Daniels, Chitwood, Chorak, Massey). And the best blocking TE in Eky returning- Aaron Caldwell.

Defensively- Three kids competing for safety to replace Brewer. Many kids competing for D-line spots vacated by McMillian and Calton.

Plus they lost the kicker- If you know one send him to HC.
Is that enough clown? And let's be 100 percent clear on something-It is you who knows absolutely nothing about Harlan County. You see that they lost the QB and 2000 yards rushing and some linemen and assume no one is there to replace them. You are dead wrong.
How about Tucker Lewis is he going to get to play? Would love to see him play the boy has worked very hard in the weight room.