Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rowan Co. 64 North Laurel 46 (KHSAA/Sweet 16)
Rowan County sophomore Tyler Thacker picked the perfect time and perfect place to play the game of his life.

Thacker came off the bench to hit four of six three-pointers and score a career-high 25 points to lead the Vikings past North Laurel 64-46 in the opening game of the 95th PNC/KHSAA Boys' State Basketball Tournament on Wednesday afternoon in Rupp Arena.

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/14/21097...25-to.html
Rowan County limited North Laurel to 34 percent shooting, and the Vikings won the boards 39-31.
LEXINGTON, KY. — Rowan County High School boys’ basketball coach Shawn Thacker not only picked up a victory in the PNC Boys’ Sweet 16 on Wednesday, but he also received an early Father’s Day present.

His son, sophomore Shawn Thacker, scored a career-high 25 points to lead the Vikings to the 64-46 first-round win over North Laurel before about 15,000 fans in Rupp Arena.

“To get to share a moment like that with your son is special,” the elder Thacker said. “Sometimes when coaching your own kid, he takes a little criticism that’s unjust. As a coach and as a father, that was special.”

The 6-foot-1 Shawn Thacker came off the bench to hit 9 of 13 shots, including 4 of 6 three-pointers. His previous high was 18 points against Ashland Blazer, and he had scored in double figures just six times all season. Moved from the starting lineup to the bench after the holidays, he came into the game averaging 5.6 points.

“I have to prove Dad wrong,” he said, smiling. “I wanted to make sure everyone knows I need to start. I want to make him look dumb. Most of the time he looks smart.”

He entered the game late in the first quarter, picked up two quick steals and scored 10 points in a 12-2 run that helped blow the game open. That surge gave the Vikings (26-7) a 20-9 advantage, and his second 3-pointer made it 23-12.

“He got us going,” senior D. J. Townsend said. “Those two steals were big. He just put us on his back, and we all know he’s capable of doing that.”

Rowan County led 28-15 at halftime, but North Laurel (21-15) cut it to 32-23 in the third quarter before Thacker went to work again. He sank two free throws and scored after a steal to make it 36-23. He added another bucket and ended the period with a 3-pointer to make it 43-28, all but sealing the victory.

“My teammates found me, and I was feeling it,” he said. “I don’t think I have ever hit four threes in a game, but I was feeling it all week. It’s special because of my dad and everything, but this isn’t our goal, so we’re worried about that. We want to win on Saturday night, not on Wednesday morning.”

Townsend chipped in 14 points, and Evansville signee Adam Wing had eight points and 14 rebounds for the Vikings.

Rowan County made it to the championship game last season before losing to Christian County in double-overtime. The Vikings will meet Southwestern (28-8) in Friday’s noon quarterfinal after the Warriors beat Hopkinsville on Wednesday.

“It’s special to be back after last year,” Townsend said. “But we want to win.”

Junior Jake Allen had 19 points and seven rebounds to lead the Jaguars, who made just 18 of 53 shots and 5 of 12.

http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...el?Avis=B2