Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern 76 Boyle County 66 (12th Region Championship)
Southwestern is headed to Rupp Arena for the first time in school history.

I'll see the rest of you at Rupp next Wednesday early afternoon. Smile
Congrats to the warriors
Looks like they counted BC's last second desperation 3. No matter!
Congrats to Southwestern and the Warrior Nation.

Hats off for a valiant effort by the Boyle Co. players.

Schulz was unbelievable tonight. Great game by a great young man.

Congrats to Big Rob, Cody, Edwards and Schulz on making the all tourney team.

Also Congrats to Taylor Gover on making the all tournament team. You are a class act, and an outstanding player and person.
Congratulations Warriors!!! :notworthy :Thumbs: :Clap:

Good luck in Rupp!!!
REGION CHAMPIONS!

How about that? Two regional championships in two sports - basketball and football. It has been a great year for Warrior athletics.

Congrats to head coach Steve Wright and the rest of the Warriors on the school's first-ever regional championship!

See you all at Rupp! Go Warriors!
First Sweet Sixteen appearance ever? Wow - Congragulations!
Congrats to Southwestern. You guys played a great game we have no shame losing to a team that played that well tonight. Congrats and good luck next week in Rupp. You guys will be an excellent representative of the 12th region.
Can anybody from SW fill me in on David Kapinga?
He is a sophomore from Africa, that moved to Canada and now is at Southwestern. He is quick and plays good defense. He is an average shooter and average ball handler. He wears # 12 and Tribe doesn't like it that he plays at Southwestern.
What will Boyle Co. lose to graduation?
Willie Turnover Wrote:He is a sophomore from Africa, that moved to Canada and now is at Southwestern. He is quick and plays good defense. He is an average shooter and average ball handler. He wears # 12 and Tribe doesn't like it that he plays at Southwestern.

Congrats to the Warriors and "Tribe" doesn't like anything about SW. Region champs in both football and basketball this year shows how special SW is right now. Great group of kids. Good Luck at Rupp Warriors!!!!
Willie Turnover Wrote:What will Boyle Co. lose to graduation?

33 Michael Arnett POST Sr.
44 Kyle Baker GUARD Sr.
32 Kyle Rice WING Sr.
10 Tommy Hastings GUARD Sr.
3 Micah Satterly GUARD Sr.
23 Zach Hester WING Sr.
Congrats Warriors! I am so happy for all of the seniors on this team who have put in so much work over the years and it finally pays off! I had a loty of fun watching the SW football team last year through out the regular season and post season but, unfortunately, I will not be able to go to their 1st Rd game at Rupp even though I would love to see them play at Rupp!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
SOMERSET — The last hurdle was just too tall.
Boyle County came so far to reach the regional finals, only to find an obstacle it could not overcome in Southwestern.
The Warriors had too many ways to beat the Rebels, and they displayed them all in a 76-69 victory in the boys 12th Region Tournament championship at Pulaski County.
It marked the end of the road for a Boyle team that was trying to cap a remarkable turnaround with a trip to the Boys Sweet Sixteen, something that seemed out of its reach a few weeks ago.
The Rebels sliced a 15-point deficit to three before yielding in the fourth quarter to Southwestern, which captured the first regional title since the school opened in 1993.
“We had a couple of possessions where shots didn’t go down, and it seemed like we just couldn’t get over the hump. Of course, they’re an awfully good team,” Boyle coach Steve Adams said. “But I am so proud of our guys. They did not quit, they continued to battle, stayed in the game plan we had. I feel real good about our guys.”
The entire season was a battle for Boyle, first when they were trying to right themselves after a horrific 2-7 start and then when they were trying to put themselves in position to compete in the postseason after losing 13 of their first 17 games.
“All season we’ve had to fight. We came from 4-13 to coming back and winning a district championship and knocking off East Jessamine (in the semifinals), and we had our chances tonight and we fought, but it just didn’t go the way we wanted,” said forward Kyle Rice, one of six Boyle seniors.
It looked for a moment as if it might. Boyle (13-16) was at its best in the third quarter, when it hit six of nine shots from the field — including three of four 3-point attempts — and outscored Southwestern 15-7 over a span of 4 minutes, 22 seconds.
The Rebels, who had trailed 30-15 with less than 3 minutes remaining in the first half, pulled within 43-40 on Brett Jones’ 3-pointer with 1:33 left in the third quarter.
“We felt like the game was in our hands,” Boyle guard Micah Satterly said.
However, a turnover and a missed layup kept them from doing further damage in the third quarter. They blocked back-to-back shots in the opening seconds of the fourth period, then missed a 3-point try that would have made it 45-43. Instead, another turnover off the rebound led to a dunk by Southwestern’s Isaiah Collier that gave the Warriors a 47-40 lead.
The teams then traded baskets for about 4 minutes before David Kapinga singlehandedly put the game away. The Southwestern guard hit a 3 with 3:16 to go that made it 55-46, and he went on to score 11 points in just 1:43. The last six of those came at the free-throw line, where Kapinga was 7 for 9 and the Warriors were 19 for 21 in the fourth quarter.
Kapinga scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and finished with 19, and Justin Edwards scored a game-high 25 for Southwestern (27-8).
With six of their top eight players standing 6-foot-3 or taller, the Warriors had a size advantage over Boyle.
“And our guys were smart enough to use it. We got some good stuff (inside), and our guards got them the ball, and that was our plan all along,” Southwestern coach Steve Wright said.
Southwestern also did some damage from the outside, going 4 for 9 from 3-point range in the first half, when it was 13 for 24 overall from the field.
Wright, who won eight regional titles and one state championship at Laurel County/South Laurel before moving to Southwestern this season, said he wanted to make sure the Warriors were ready for the Rebels.
“Boyle County had a lot of confidence,” Wright said. “Somebody at school today said, ‘We’ll, that’s not who you thought you’d be playing, and that’s probably good, isn’t it?’ and my response to that was, ‘I’m sure East Jessamine thought that last night.’ We’re not falling for that. I knew they would be well-prepared, and they were, but we’d answered the bell all year.”
The lead changed hands four times after Boyle went up 5-0 before Southwestern outscored the Rebels 21-5 over a span of 7:36 to take a 30-15 lead with 2:49 remaining in the first half.
Michael Arnett went 10 for 14 from the field and led Boyle with 23 points and 17 rebounds. Rice added 16 points for the Rebels, and Satterly scored 13.
The Rebels outshot the Warriors 48.9 percent to 46.7 after going 14 for 26 in the second half, but they said they struggled with Southwestern’s defensive switches.
“I think their defenses confused us at times and got us out of rhythm. They did a good job of switching up defenses and pressuring us in ways that we hadn’t (seen) in the tournament,” Boyle forward Zach Hester said.
The Rebels knew they weren’t expected to make the regional finals for the first time since 2007 — when the current seniors were seventh-graders — but they said that didn’t make losing any easier.
“It’s the worst feeling in the world,” Rice said.
“The only thing that ever could help that feeling is that we were able to do this all together. We’ve played with each other for a long time, since middle school, and we’ve had success and failure, and we’ve overcome obstacles and adversity,” Hester added.
Adams said he couldn’t be happier with the way his players fought throughout the season and in their final game.
“That’s what high-character guys do,” he said. “They just continue to play, just giving everything that we had, and when we walk off the court, our heads are held high and we feel good about what we did.”

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...9573.story
12th Region Tournament
At Pulaski County
Championship
Southwestern 14 34 45 76
Boyle County 13 25 40 69
SOUTHWESTERN (27-8) — Isaiah Collier 5, Justin Edwards 25, Justin Schulz 13, David Kapinga 19, Cody Epperson 6, Adam Isaacs 2, Robby Lewis 6.
BOYLE (13-16) — Kyle Rice 16, Michael Arnett 23, Micah Satterly 13, Brett Jones 7, Tommy Hastings 2, Hagen Tyler 5, Devin True 3.
All-Tournament Team

Michael Arnett, Boyle County; Robbie Carson, East Jessamine; Cody Collins, East Jessamine; Carl-Lewis Cummins, Lincoln County; Adam Dodd, Wayne County; Justin Edwards, Southwestern; Cody Epperson, Southwestern; Chase Fain, West Jessamine; Taylor Gover, Pulaski County; Taylor Leigh, Casey County; Robby Lewis, Southwestern; Daulton Peters, West Jessamine; Kyle Rice, Boyle County; Micah Satterly, Boyle County; Justin Schulz, Southwestern.
Great photos!
Congratulations Warriors!! Good luck at Rupp next week.

Get Chili - I bet somebody had to peel you off the ceiling!!

LOL
Congrats to Southwestern and good luck at Rupp!!

And in saying that I want to thank Steve Wright for giving credit to Coach Schulz, Coach Kinney and Coach Fitzgerald in the paper after the win. They all deserved to be recognized for the time effort and hard work they have put in to get those boys to where they are at now!
Granny Bear Wrote:Congratulations Warriors!! Good luck at Rupp next week.

Get Chili - I bet somebody had to peel you off the ceiling!!

LOL

Still haven't been peeled off yet. Think you could give me a hand? haha
Naw, wouldn't want to do that!!

You take that feeling with you to Rupp!!
Good luck.
Congratulations Warriors.
Congrats Warriors! Good Luck at Rupp!!!