Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boone Co-54 vs Newport Central Catholic-49 (9th Region Championship)
Boone Co 1st team to punch their ticket to Rupp.
And the team the 14th will face at Rupp!

Any details on this team?
HeGotGame Wrote:And the team the 14th will face at Rupp!

Any details on this team?

extremely fast, very scrappy on defense, high pressure, and a solid shooting team. They're very rare because they like to set the game's tempo on defense, so if your offense likes to set up and take your time, then they'll wear you down. if your offense likes to get down the floor and get a fast bucket, then they'll make you work the ball around for awhile.

They have a lot of experience playing against and beating teams with big and tall guys. Their biggest weakness is playing against high pressured, scrappy defenses. Teams like Cooper, CovCath, and Holy Cross exposed that.

mcqueary is their best shooter, pitts is their best ball handler, all 5 are pretty even on defense.
by the way, a big congratulations to Boone County High School on having both boys and girls make the Sweet 16, and an even bigger congrats to Coach McQueary on making it to Rupp. I know he's been having nightmares of the 2009 regional finals, losing to eventual state champs Holmes by 3 after missing several opportunities to win that game.
Boone County senior Cooper Downs was fouled with 11.2 seconds remaining in the Rebels’ 54-49 Ninth Region boys’ basketball tournament championship game victory over Newport Central Catholic on Sunday at Bank of Kentucky Center. He broke into a smile as he walked to the free-throw line.

“Right at that moment, it hit me,” Downs said. “There was 11 seconds left on the clock and we’re up by five and I’m at the line. I knew we could seal it.”

• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

Downs stepped to the line and sank two foul shots for the Rebels’ 12th consecutive converted free throw in the final quarter, giving Boone County a seven-point lead. Moments later, at the sound of the final buzzer, the Rebels’ bench ran to greet their teammates at mid-court to celebrate Boone County’s first regional title since 1996.

“I was two the last time it happened, so it’s been a long time,” said Boone senior Zane McQueary, who finished with a team-high 14 points and was named tournament most valuable player. “It’s a dream come true for us; several years in the works, beginning with the guys who came before us. Playing in Rupp Arena is going to be great.”

McQueary, the lone Boone County starter taller than 6 feet, will play for the first time on the University of Kentucky’s Rupp Arena floor when the Rebels take on the 14th Region champion at 1:30 p.m. March 15 in the first round of the KHSAA Boys’ Sweet 16 state tournament in Lexington. The 14th Region title game is Tuesday.

Other heroes for Boone on Sunday were Chase Stanley, who scored 11 points, and Keenan Palmer, who added nine. Palmer was an early spark with eight in the first quarter. Downs finished with seven points. Boone converted 18 of 20 free throws in the game. Downs and Palmer were named to the all-tournament team.

Boone coach Greg McQueary said the victory was a team effort. When he was asked about his key players, he named nearly every one on the roster.

“I’m excited, because I’ve been on that other bench too many times and not won,” the coach said. “I went to the (state tournament) as a player for Taylor County in 1983. I was a junior. But I’ve never been as a coach.”

Boone, the top-ranked team in the final Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll, got past the regional semifinal after three straight years advancing that far and improved its record to 27-7. NewCath, ranked seventh, finished 22-9 and runner-up for the second year in a row.

The Rebels took control early, surging to an 11-point second-quarter lead after a 1-for-7 first-quarter shooting performance by the Thoroughbreds. NewCath cut it to one in the third behind freshman center Drew McDonald, who finished with 14 points, and tied it at 33 on a 3-pointer by Zach Ryan.

Downs gave Boone the lead for good on a trey with 5:35 to play. NewCath’s Brady Hightchew drove the lane for a basket but McQueary drilled a 3 and Stanley hit a pair of free throws to push the lead back to six with 3:39 left.

“They got up on us early and we had to fight back,” said coach Grant Brennen, who was trying to lead the ’Breds to their first regional crown since 2000. “We tied it and had a chance in the open court and Brady and Zach got tangled up going for the ball and we lost it. After a play like that, you just shake your head and say, it’s not to be.”

Michael Bueter led the ’Breds with 17 points. Hightchew and Jake Schulte were named all-tournament but Hightchew was limited to seven points Sunday, five below his average, and Schulte was held scoreless.http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...303040066/
Boone County (26-7) – McQueary 3 6 14, Stanley 2 5 11, Palmer 3 3 9, Pitts 2 4 8, Downs 3 0 7, Carr 1 0 2, Schwartz 1 0 2. Totals 15 18 54.

Newport Central Catholic (22-8) – Bueter 5 4 17, McDonald 4 6 14, Hightchew 3 0 7, Ryan 3 0 7, Miller 2 0 4. Totals 17 10 49.

Halftime: Boone County, 21-16. 3-pointers. B 6 (McQueary 2, Downs 2, Stanley 2). N 5 (Bueter 3, Hightchew, Ryan)
All-tournament team: MVP – Zane McQueary. Cooper Downs, Keenan Palmer (Boone County), Brady Hightchew, Jake Schulte (NewCath), Louis Maniacci, A.J. Collins (Cooper), Tyler Bray, Niko Carter (Lloyd), Brandon Hatton (Dixie Heights), Dontel Rice (Holmes), Nick Ruthsatz (Covington Catholic), Patrick Towles (Highlands).
Great run for Boone Co! Congrats Rebels!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
The better team won. Newcath is not a very good shooting team. I thought Boone was better coached and played smarter. The thing I most enjoyed about the game was all the crying from the NCC fans. Not a happy bunch. They argue every single blow of the whistle.

NCC has gotten close to winning the regional a few times, but it just doesn't happen for them. Holmes or Holy Cross wins the regional next year 2013.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Holmes or Holy Cross wins the regional next year 2013.

I'll throw CovCath and Cooper in there because of how much they return as well. They'll lack in depth which will hurt them both, but have enough talent to make a push at the 9th.
toussaints Wrote:I'll throw CovCath and Cooper in there because of how much they return as well. They'll lack in depth which will hurt them both, but have enough talent to make a push at the 9th.

Covcath has a lot of talent, but needs some size. Cooper will be good too. I can't discount Newcath next year, as much as I'd like to.
Didn't Boone Co lose to NCC earlier in the year?