Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fleming Co. 73 Russell 63
2/10/2012
Fleming Co. 73
Russell 63
Fleming Co. 16 15 17 25 73
Russell 10 22 15 16 63
Fleming Co. -- Steward 31, Burns 15, Saunders 10, McAdams 7, McKee 6, Taylor 4.
Russell -- Skaggs 28, Porter 16, Dehoff 8, Pennington 6, Bailey 4, Lane 1.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...rylink=cpy
Great game.

Russell eventually will win one of these games.

Russell played without two starters tonight. Great effort.

Steward can really shoot. Made Russell pay for helping on Burns.
RACELAND — Half-sacks are recognized as official statistics in football. How about a half-dunk in basketball?

Fleming County coach Brian Kelly saw it fit to apply the term following the Panthers' 73-63 defeat of Russell on Friday night. The game was played at Raceland-Worthington High School due to the recent flooding of Russell's home gymnasium.

The Fleming County bench erupted and teammates giddily congratulated sophomore Troy Steward after his one-handed dunk drew a foul and put the Panthers up 65-53 with 3:30 to go.

The ball sprang three feet above the rim and fell through the cylinder for two of Steward's career-high 31 points.

"We'll call it a half-dunk," Kelly said with a half-smile. "That kind of fired him up a little bit."

They didn't all come from close range for Steward, though. In all, he was 12 of 15 from the floor, including 4-for-5 three-point shooting.

"Once he gets his rhythm going, and we get him the ball, he's pretty automatic from all over the field," Kelly said.

Russell (15-12) played without two starters — point guard Googie Hayes had the flu and Tyler Parsley was nursing an injured knee. It affected the Red Devils, especially offensively, and it tweaked Fleming County's game plan.

"We knew they were short-handed at the guard spot," Kelly said. "We overemphasized pressure all game long.

"I think our system kind of wore them down overall," added the Panthers' coach.

Kyle Skaggs tallied 29 points to lead Russell, but just 10 of those came in the second half. At one point, the junior missed 10 consecutive attempts.

After Skaggs scored 10 straight points to boost Russell to a 32-31 halftime lead, Kelly outlined a challenge for his team at halftime.

"I told them (Skaggs having 19) was not acceptable," Kelly said. "We can't let big scorers get going. I was able to throw three or four guys (mainly Bryson McKee) on him in the second which may have gotten him a little tired."

Jacob Porter, who had 16 points, drilled a long 3-pointer and then Michael Pennington added a bucket to expand Russell's lead to 39-33.

However, Brady Saunders emerged from a slumber to notch nine pivotal points in the third quarter for the Panthers.

Fleming County (13-14) led the entire fourth quarter — Russell cut the margin to 68-63 with fewer than two minutes left, but Darion Burns answered with five straight points to put it away for the Panthers. He finished with 15.

Russell coach Merle Kidwell said his team must find a way to finish close games against the top teams in the region. The Red Devils also fell to West Carter, 61-57, this past week.

"I told our guys that all this is happening for a reason," Kidwell said. "We've lost some close games to some really good teams ... "

"... Our most important game is Feb. 20 (63rd District first round)," Kidwell continued. "By then, if we do our job, I think we're going to be a threat."

http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...or-Fleming