Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where would Pro Wrestling be today without.......
Where would pro wrestling be today without...........

That's a question I'd like a BGR's that are pro wrestling fans to answer. You can answer by naming a single person (wrestler, tag team, promoter, owner) in the industry, event(s), Era, a specific match or fued... or if there's something I left out that you think changed the pro wrestling, then please feel free to share.
Since I started this thread, I'll go first.
I think most of the BGR faithful that follow the pro wrestling forum know that my favorite Era of wrestling is the Mid 80's-Early 90's.

Now Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury..... I present my evidence.

Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble, Survivor Series, SummerSlam, Saturday Night's Main Event, The Main Event, Vince McMahon, Jim Crockett, Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Randy Savage, The Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Sting, Starrcade, Halloween Havoc, The Great American Bash.

That list, to me, is what made pro wrestling what it is today.
Cable TV
Off the top of the bat I gotta go with Vince McMahon.
3 people
Ric Flair
Hulk Hogan
Vince Mcmahon
The monday night wars
Shoulderblock73 Wrote:Cable TV

J-Rod Wrote:Off the top of the bat I gotta go with Vince McMahon.

HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:3 people
Ric Flair
Hulk Hogan
Vince Mcmahon

Agreed
Dusty Rhodes - He is the mind behind Starcade, which preceded Wrestlemania. He attempted to get Jim Crockett to put Starcade on PPV instead of Closed Circuit. Vince McMahon created Wrestlmania in response to Starcade and took the chance that Jim Crockett was not willing to do.

Dusty Rhodes founded so many concepts that are used today in creating and promoting big events, yet Vince gets all the credit for taking those pre-established concepts and globalizing them!
Gorgeous George
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Greeks?
Bischoff/Russo.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bobby Love the bedroom beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!! carries around somethin" a West Virginia mule can't drag
Something that I thought some BGR's would mention would be pro wrestlers trying to be actors. Who could forget "No Holds Barred" with Hulk Hogan and Zeus. Or the Goldberg, Kevin Nash and Stone Cold in "The Longest Yard" or the movies that The Rock has made over the past few years.
^ Besides Rock, I think wrestlers set the movie industry back 20 years after Hogan attempted Hollywood
Stardust Wrote:^ Besides Rock, I think wrestlers set the movie industry back 20 years after Hogan attempted Hollywood
These are just some pro wrestlers and the movies they've been in over the past few years.

Rowdy Roddy Piper: They Live
Randy Savage: Spider-Man
Hulk Hogan: No Holds Barred; Mr. Nanny; 3 Ninjas High Noon at Mega Mountain
Kevin Nash: The Punisher; The Longest Yard
The Fablous Freebirds: Highlander
Stone Cold: The Longest Yard; The Condemned
The Rock: The Toothfairy; Doom; Reno 911 Miami
Andre the Giant: The Princess Bride
John Cena: The Marine
Kane: See No Evil
Triple H: The Chaperone
Randy Orton: That's What I am

I know there is alot more wrestlers and alot of more movies that can be added to this list, but to go along with what Stardust posted, most of these movies are junk.
There is Thumbs up, Thumbs down, and Puke - Most of those movies fall into the puke range
Stardust Wrote:There is Thumbs up, Thumbs down, and Puke - Most of those movies fall into the puke range

Im pretty sure they dont know you exist and could care less what you think of their movies.
Stardust Wrote:Dusty Rhodes - He is the mind behind Starcade, which preceded Wrestlemania. He attempted to get Jim Crockett to put Starcade on PPV instead of Closed Circuit. Vince McMahon created Wrestlmania in response to Starcade and took the chance that Jim Crockett was not willing to do.

Dusty Rhodes founded so many concepts that are used today in creating and promoting big events, yet Vince gets all the credit for taking those pre-established concepts and globalizing them!

Dude with the balls gets the credit.
Or with the money to make it happen on a larger scale.
The Princess Bride was the best movie that a wrestler starred in.

See No Evil had great previews, I know that it bombed, but was it any good? Has anyone seen it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I thought it was meh...
LWC Wrote:The Princess Bride was the best movie that a wrestler starred in.

See No Evil had great previews, I know that it bombed, but was it any good? Has anyone seen it?

Seen it, didn't like it
"Memphis rasslin"

If you look at the top stars of the 80s and 90s many of them spent some time in Memphis. The pay was mostly crap for many of them, but they learned their craft there.

Also, it was a huge influence on ECW with its, often, violent style of wrestling. Eddie Gilbert, who was a big star in Memphis had a big hand in the early days of ECW and the Memphis influence is pretty visible when you watch what it evolved into.
Don't forget the classsic "BodySlam" starring Roddy Piper, Dirk Benedict and , I think, Tanya Roberts. Also, alot of wrestlers with cameos.

For the record, I though "They Live" was pretty good.
So worker, are you crediting Jerry Jarrett???
Not so much Jarrett, as it is everyone involved in the Memphis wrestling scene. From the talent to the guys behind the scenes, Memphis was a unique environment with a style all their own.