Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owsley County 67 - Cordia 58
Final from Cordia
Can't except much from a team who has had 5 players quit in the last two weeks. Saw this coming, Congrats Owls! Hope Lions get something turned around
Owsley (3-7) gets road win over Cordia (5-8). The Owls snap a seven game losing streak while Cordia drops thier five straight.
This still surprises me. Owsley's leading scorer and one of their best rebounders, Grove, has been out with a knee injury for almost a month and I think still has a few weeks before playing again.
One of the kids that went to the game told me Cordia had some players suspended and that their head coach was not on the bench either. They didn't say anything about anyone quiting the team, though.
Crazy Horse Wrote:Can't except much from a team who has had 5 players quit in the last two weeks. Saw this coming, Congrats Owls! Hope Lions get something turned around

I saw this coming before the season ever started.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:This still surprises me. Owsley's leading scorer and one of their best rebounders, Grove, has been out with a knee injury for almost a month and I think still has a few weeks before playing again.
One of the kids that went to the game told me Cordia had some players suspended and that their head coach was not on the bench either. They didn't say anything about anyone quiting the team, though.

He may have been on a recruiting trip scouting for new talent.
Congratulations Owsley
Rod's goin circle the wagons and get this thing turned around soon!
Asst Coach was fired and took his two boys back to Texas I think, Rhodes was still serving a suspension from being ejected and taking his team off the floor at Menifee county, and a couple others have been thrown off for violation of team rules, and another quit. They have not had a good couple of weeks at Cordia. They only have 9 players on the team as of now and don't look like it's going to get any better, just glad that their schedule is not very strong. They do have to go to Knott Saturday though, not going to be pretty I would guess. Congrats to the Owls on the win though!
OrangenowBlue Wrote:He may have been on a recruiting trip scouting for new talent.

I heard Rhodes got ejected from another game over Christmas, but no one on here was talking about it so I thought I had heard wrong. None of my Cordia contacts will talk about the basketball program over there any more. I think reality hit hard. But, as for the players, I know that two of the Texas boys went back to Houston. Don't know about the other kids that were missing. Maybe KHSAA12 will come on a fill us all in.
EKYHoops Wrote:Asst Coach was fired and took his two boys back to Texas I think, Rhodes was still serving a suspension from being ejected and taking his team off the floor at Menifee county, and a couple others have been thrown off for violation of team rules, and another quit. They have not had a good couple of weeks at Cordia. They only have 9 players on the team as of now and don't look like it's going to get any better, just glad that their schedule is not very strong. They do have to go to Knott Saturday though, not going to be pretty I would guess. Congrats to the Owls on the win though!

He is not still serving the suspension from Menifee County. He had a two game suspension and served that. He then coached two or three more games. They were playing in Maysville after Christmas. I was told he was ejected from the game during the last game of that week. Last night was the first game that he sat out after returning from the Menifee Co suspension.
ANEWPAT Wrote:He is not still serving the suspension from Menifee County. He had a two game suspension and served that. He then coached two or three more games. They were playing in Maysville after Christmas. I was told he was ejected from the game during the last game of that week. Last night was the first game that he sat out after returning from the Menifee Co suspension.

True, now serving a four game suspension!
I have heard that the last game of the Bracken County tournament that Rhodes got a technical foul in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter he saw the game was over and sent a sub in that had not been in the game, he was not on the book so they called a technical foul. Supposedly he had 1 player left that had not been in the game, so he got off the bench and went to corner of the scores table to see if the kid was on the book and the official called a technical foul on him for getting off the bench and ejected him. Sounds as if the officials are keeping a close eye on him. lol!!!
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:I have heard that the last game of the Bracken County tournament that Rhodes got a technical foul in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter he saw the game was over and sent a sub in that had not been in the game, he was not on the book so they called a technical foul. Supposedly he had 1 player left that had not been in the game, so he got off the bench and went to corner of the scores table to see if the kid was on the book and the official called a technical foul on him for getting off the bench and ejected him. Sounds as if the officials are keeping a close eye on him. lol!!!

Not sure what happened in Bracken Co but Rhodes has been suspended for about as many games as he has coached. He laid hands on a KCC player during their game. Her fell out with the Assistant Coach that he brought with him from Texas, fired him, and lost two of the three players he brought with him from Texas. And, if others posting on here are correct, three other players have quit on him. Sounds like Cordia has real problems with their high profile coach.
I see a 10 game losing streak in the Lions future! They play Owsley again at the end of January, looks like their best chance to get another win if they can make some changes. Good luck to them and Coach Rhodes.
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:I have heard that the last game of the Bracken County tournament that Rhodes got a technical foul in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter he saw the game was over and sent a sub in that had not been in the game, he was not on the book so they called a technical foul. Supposedly he had 1 player left that had not been in the game, so he got off the bench and went to corner of the scores table to see if the kid was on the book and the official called a technical foul on him for getting off the bench and ejected him. Sounds as if the officials are keeping a close eye on him. lol!!!

Sounds like the officials are just going by the book.
And it looks like HIS book needs to be rewritten Smile

Technical fouls like that stink but to send a kid in the game that isn't on the book is a big oversight by the coaching staff.
And I'm not 100% for sure....
but I think you have to have a warning for stepping out of the coaches box before you actually get the T.

Can someone clarify that?
My rulebook is in the car Smile
zaga_fan Wrote:Sounds like the officials are just going by the book.
And it looks like HIS book needs to be rewritten Smile

Technical fouls like that stink but to send a kid in the game that isn't on the book is a big oversight by the coaching staff.
And I'm not 100% for sure....
but I think you have to have a warning for stepping out of the coaches box before you actually get the T.
Can someone clarify that?
My rulebook is in the car Smile

If you have one T already you have to stay seated. Sounds like this is what has happend in this case. He got a T for not having a player in the book and then another for getting off the bench to check the book for the second player.
Not surprising. This is the same guy who said he felt he was going nowhere fast at Texas Pan-Am, a Division 1 school! A good friend of mine has a younger brother who plays for TPA and I have a hunch that if I asked him about Rhodes he would tell me that he wasn't retained by their coach, Ryan Marks, rather than his story of quitting there.
poor Rhodes I knew they should have hired Fat Roll Joel.
I sure don't see Rhodes "circling the wagons" to get anything straightened out any time soon. Especially considering that it is his fault that they are in this shape in the first place. It seems from reading everyones' posts that they are losing is because of the players that have "quit..."

The father of the two boys from Texas was fired and put out of his apartment the day before Christmas Eve, simply because Rhodes didn't want him here. Truth is, he felt threatened by him. With no job and no home, they had no choice but to return to Texas. Whatever problem he was having with that man, he let effect those boys. I'm sure they didn't pack up all their things and leave their friends and family to be treated like that.

The other three of the 5 that they have lost would be in part that he can't control his team at all. I guess that could be because I've heard from several sources that he doesn't even stay on the same floor as the players in the hotels. I just about bet if I could probe the players or any parents that were there that he is not only on a different floor but that he is staying in a much nicer room or a suite. How can you not expect players to misbehave or violate team rules...I mean heck, what else can happen when you leave 3 teenagers with no supervision at all, in which he later did.

As you are reading this, Im sure you are wondering why someone can be so against a man, that I would take this much time out of my day, to spend on this site typing something like this up....it's because of those three players that were kicked off of the team in Bracken County. Not only were they kicked off the team, but Rhodes forced the kids to turn in their warm-ups and traveling shoes in that he had given them. A justified act perhaps? I myself believe that they earned them, I mean what use is used traveling shoes? But even so, some can argue that he had a right to because they were no longer on the team. The problem is however, that one of the boys did not have any other shoes. Rhodes knew this and left the kid to fend for himself to find a pair to wear home....SERIOUSLY???? That kid was left to walk barefoot down the cold sidewalk and ask another player to borrow a pair to wear home the next day. This is only the beginning. I even heard from someone else that when feeding the kids the last meal before going home, he paid for some of the kids meals but asked for some to leave the line and left them to pay for their own, which he didn't even ask if they had money to do so, just because they weren't "varsity" players. I'm pretty sure that the money that is given to a basketball team is for the WHOLE team. When reading this, I believe that you are probably feeling what I was feeling when I got the multiple phone calls telling me of such...shock and anger.

This brings me to another problem that I feel is the downfall of this team. The fact that Rhodes has missed more games due to suspensions and his little outings than games that he has actually coached. Rumor even hasn't that he wasn't even suspended, but that he still didn't show up for a game in Bracken County. I have no idea why not, but it is a fact that he was not there. I thought a head coach was supposed to....um...i don't know....coach?

If you have reached this point in the post, I am sure that you are under the impression that I do not support this man at all. I want you to know that when he first came to Cordia, I was so excited about the possiblities and opportunities that he might be able to provide for those kids. A chance to prove to the Knott and Perry Centrals and Hazards and other big schools that they deserve a chance too. I'm tired of hearing Cordia being looked down upon and made fun of. I thought this man could put them back on the map and hold the school to the standards that they once held. The fact that this post even exists at all however shows that this isn't happening. All eyes were placed upon them for the first time in years because of this "high profile coach" and all those eyes are only seeing the program being torn apart.

I was once supportive of the man. I haven't had any ties to basketball for many years... but this isn't about basketball, this is about the kids. Which when kids go without food and shoes, and their confidence is at an all time low, it should be everyone else's priority as well.
Sounds like a mess !!
All I can say is ...WOW:Sad04:
Well when you bring in someone like this expecting miracles, this is what you get! Cordia always did pretty well with their own kids and their own coach. Coach Honeycutt was all for the kids and they played really hard for him, but people over their wanted more, so they went this route and look where it got them. It's not their fault for wanting better for their school and their kids, but the way they went about it was all wrong. Rhodes won't finish out the year if you ask me. Surely the people of Lotts Creek have more dignity than to let someone like this destroy what others have built for this community. Just awful situation, very sorry to hear.
Wow! Things must be even worse than I have heard. It's the kids I feel sorry for. Rhodes came in with his big promises and they bought into it 100%. He had them convinced they were really going to Rupp this year. Just look at how convinced some of the adults from Cordia who were posting on here were and then just imagine how much more wrapped up in it all those kids were. Can you imagine what those kids have gone through as reality has set in for them and they have watched all the promises Rhodes has made just fade away. I knew that the asst coach got fired two days before Christmas because he fell out with Rhodes. Not sure how the school justified taking his job at the school and his housing from him unless they want to admit that they were providing jobs and housing to a parent just so he would bring his boys to Cordia to play. Think KHSAA will look into that. I doubt it. From posts on here East Ridge is starting to fall apart to. I hope every school with these recuits see their programs fall apart before the end of the year so people will think twice before doing this foolishness again.
ANEWPAT Wrote:Wow! Things must be even worse than I have heard. It's the kids I feel sorry for. Rhodes came in with his big promises and they bought into it 100%. He had them convinced they were really going to Rupp this year. Just look at how convinced some of the adults from Cordia who were posting on here were and then just imagine how much more wrapped up in it all those kids were. Can you imagine what those kids have gone through as reality has set in for them and they have watched all the promises Rhodes has made just fade away. I knew that the asst coach got fired two days before Christmas because he fell out with Rhodes. Not sure how the school justified taking his job at the school and his housing from him unless they want to admit that they were providing jobs and housing to a parent just so he would bring his boys to Cordia to play. Think KHSAA will look into that. I doubt it. From posts on here East Ridge is starting to fall apart to. I hope every school with these recuits see their programs fall apart before the end of the year so people will think twice before doing this foolishness again.

I have to agree 100% with this post. Here is something I posted in one of the old Cordia threads and I think it is coming to fruition.

:kneel:

This is just what has happened at Cordia.
Rumor at Bracken County was that he had to go pick up his fiance from the airport. That is why he missed a game there.
KoJack Wrote:Rumor at Bracken County was that he had to go pick up his fiance from the airport. That is why he missed a game there.
Can't afford a Taxi??? Come on you are the Head Coach you should know your responsibilities.
Does anyone remember the threads like "Cordia moving to the top of 14th region!" LOL

This all sounds pretty crazy. If the stuff is true about taking the kids shoes and not feeding some players, etc... Then Rhodes is pretty low.

I feel sorry for these Cordia players because all off-season they got false hope from everyone. Everyone in Lotts Creek really hurt these players. Pics from Rhodes trip to Kentucky like he was GOD of something, saying their a top 3 or 4 team in the region, all the workout pics on Facebook, Rhodes running around Hazard taking pics with everyone like he's man, making signs for the Knott/Cordia game just firing up a good Knott team... C'mon People you put your team in a bad spot.

Where has KHSAA12 and Wall2Wall gone????
EKYHoops Wrote:Well when you bring in someone like this expecting miracles, this is what you get! Cordia always did pretty well with their own kids and their own coach. Coach Honeycutt was all for the kids and they played really hard for him, but people over their wanted more, so they went this route and look where it got them. It's not their fault for wanting better for their school and their kids, but the way they went about it was all wrong. Rhodes won't finish out the year if you ask me. Surely the people of Lotts Creek have more dignity than to let someone like this destroy what others have built for this community. Just awful situation, very sorry to hear.
I think someone should do some research into the last time Cordia went to Bracken County for a tournament and stayed in Maysville. Players suspended for ??? Also the same players that have know quit (not suspended, they were protesting against some of the younger players getting more playing time) on Rhodes for the third time this season, were some of the same players that quit and keep begging back on Honeycutt and Fugate. I don't agree with the treatment of kids in the manor describe by Calipari4pez if that is actually what happened??? Programs always grow thru change, coaches learn, players learn, parents learn, but the thing to keep in mind is that no individual coach, player or parent is bigger than the program. Time will tell if things can be worked out.
I have been to busy over the holidays to get on here but man this is horrible.

Let me first say this, I said all I said before the season started before I ever watched the team, and I should never have done so. I trusted my friends who told me how good the team was looking. I was told by certain people that the three boys from Texas was good, the fact is is that the three boys from Texas were overrated. Chris is a great athlete but neither of them could shoot the ball. I went by what I was told so to everybody on how I got on your nerves and talked about Cordia, I am sorry. I am a Lion till the day I die, but I deserve every joke you can lay on me lmao.

I have seen a few post so let me clear some stuff up. Rhodes was never ejected the first game that he was given a suspension. But he was this past time. Also, Rhodes does live in a house on the hill above the school, buts it's not like what people might think. It's an old house, but a nice house. The two boys and there father left not because he lost his job, but because he and Rhodes had a fall out. From what I could tell, they didn't like each other that much. Just my opinion on what I saw from the games I went to.

From what I can tell, Rhodes loves these kids. he would give anything to these boys, so to say he don't care for the kids is wrong. Now, he is probably overated as a coach, but he loves these kids. And hiring him was not a mistake because he brought back an excitement to the program.

I will say that I would rather have Jeff Honeycutt and Denny Fugate than Rhodes, but that's just me. I played for those two men and I didn't play for Rhodes but that is just the way I feel about those two men.

I think that eventually when these young players Rhodes has at Cordia are Juniors and Seniors that they will have a good team, but that is several years away. Who knows, Rhodes might not even be there by then.

Some of the boys who did quit were the same ones who threatened to quit last year under Denny but never did. I am not surprised they did, I never expected them to last the season.

I do hope Rhodes turns things around my the end of this season, I wish him well.