Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pure Curiosity
I have been talking to a few people from Paintsville over the holidays and a few have mentioned that there is a rumor that Jim Matney may take the position at UVA-Wise. I was just wondering if there may be any truth to the rumor and why take that job and leave the powerhouse he has established in Johnson County? Once again not trying to ruffle any Eagle feathers just asking an honest question. Thanks
StrayBullet Wrote:I have been talking to a few people from Paintsville over the holidays and a few have mentioned that there is a rumor that Jim Matney may take the position at UVA-Wise. I was just wondering if there may be any truth to the rumor and why take that job and leave the powerhouse he has established in Johnson County? Once again not trying to ruffle any Eagle feathers just asking an honest question. Thanks

Same reason Dudley Hilton left Bell County for Pikeville. I can see this being veryyyyyyy probable. Wise is a lack luster team who needs a traditional coach like Matney.
Sounds good to me. Go for it and make more money to help your family.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
StrayBullet Wrote:I have been talking to a few people from Paintsville over the holidays and a few have mentioned that there is a rumor that Jim Matney may take the position at UVA-Wise. I was just wondering if there may be any truth to the rumor and why take that job and leave the powerhouse he has established in Johnson County? Once again not trying to ruffle any Eagle feathers just asking an honest question. Thanks

one Rumor going around that I've seen in another thread is that Matney was gonna take the UVA-Wise Position and Powell's Coach Burchett was gonna go to Johnson Central.

Again those are just rumors, we don't know if there's truth to them or not
I will answer it for you very easily.Coach Matney is very happy where he is at.Has not been contacted by UVA wise.Coach Matney will be back on the sidelines for Johnson Central next year. and is looking forward to a great season with our growing young talent.:welcome:
RIPKIN Wrote:I will answer it for you very easily.Coach Matney is very happy where he is at.Has not been contacted by UVA wise.Coach Matney will be back on the sidelines for Johnson Central next year. and is looking forward to a great season with our growing young talent.:welcome:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but someone did say the same thing about Hilton.
Real Badman Wrote:I'm not saying you're wrong, but someone did say the same thing about Hilton.
I can say it is wrong.He is a god fearing man.and doesnt lie.I have asked and been answered.He is happy where he is and no one has contacted him.its real simple questiion has been asked and answered.Matney will be on Johnson Central sideline for 2012.:please:
From what I hear he told the folks at SC he wasn't gonna leave. IDC How much you all think he loves central. If a college came with a good offer he would be gone.
If i was him and i did have the chance, id jump on it.
Better money and the chance to be on a national stage.
AND, if it doesnt work out its really easy for a guy like Matney to come back and coach hgih school football.
I kind of agree. If given the chance, I think he, or any other coach for that matter, would be foolish not to give it a shot.
Tough to take a job that's not open. Wise just finished a 5-6 season under the reigns of a new coach in 2011. As far as money is concerned...I'm pretty sure that not many coaches on the NAIA level make as much as he does right now. When a good friend of mine coached at that level he only made 35K as an assistant and the head coach made roughly 85-90K.
I don't think anyone who appreciates Matney and what he has done for JCHS football would want him to leave the school. Realistically he must do what he feels is in the best interest of he and his family. To not agree would I think compramise the things he has accomplished.
Emmit Brown Wrote:Tough to take a job that's not open. Wise just finished a 5-6 season under the reigns of a new coach in 2011. As far as money is concerned...I'm pretty sure that not many coaches on the NAIA level make as much as he does right now. When a good friend of mine coached at that level he only made 35K as an assistant and the head coach made roughly 85-90K.

How much does he make as a public school football coach? :yikes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:How much does he make as a public school football coach? :yikes:

I'd say around that...it is public record though. Also, there are a lot of things that attribute to the annual salary. He has been teaching over 30 years, has both a master's degree, is Rank I certified, a coordinator over an elementary program, head football and wrestling coach. The stipend for football is only about 7K, but when you account for experience and multiple titles within the system it adds up.
Emmit Brown Wrote:I'd say around that...it is public record though. Also, there are a lot of things that attribute to the annual salary. He has been teaching over 30 years, has both a master's degree, is Rank I certified, a coordinator over an elementary program, head football and wrestling coach. The stipend for football is only about 7K, but when you account for experience and multiple titles within the system it adds up.

According to Oldham County's pay scale (could not find Johnson County), a Rank 1 salary with 30 years experience is $65,554. If you add $7,000 for football and maybe $3,000 for wrestling that makes it $75,554. Could he make an extra $15,000 per year as an elementary program coordinator? Does Oldham County (near Louisville) pay more, the same, or less than Johnson County?

Either way, after seeing what teachers can make, I never want to hear them complain again, lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:According to Oldham County's pay scale (could not find Johnson County), a Rank 1 salary with 30 years experience is $65,554. If you add $7,000 for football and maybe $3,000 for wrestling that makes it $75,554. Could he make an extra $15,000 per year as an elementary program coordinator? Does Oldham County (near Louisville) pay more, the same, or less than Johnson County?

Either way, after seeing what teachers can make, I never want to hear them complain again, lol.

It is possible. Irregardless, a job must be open first to take it. The job at Wise is not open, not saying it won't be on the coming months, I just find it hard to believe the school would can a long time assistant who just finished his first season as HC. Given it was a losing record, but 5-6 was better than their previous few seasons so some may look at is as a turn around it the right direction. Only time will tell.
If he leaves, who are some possible replacements? Will Johnson return to doormat status? Still be Highlands whipping child? Or, is there anyone that can take them to the next level so Highlands doesn't eliminate them every single year?

I'd say the savior of Paintsville Football and the rest of his cronies would love to see this happen but I talked to Coach Matney the other day and he told me that this is false and this all came from an article that was in the Appalachian News express a couple of months ago.
Don Carlo Wrote:I'd say the savior of Paintsville Football and the rest of his cronies would love to see this happen but I talked to Coach Matney the other day and he told me that this is false and this all came from an article that was in the Appalachian News express a couple of months ago.
Noone that lives, travels, and enjoys football in JC wants to see Coach Matney go forward to leave the nest. It simply becomes a personal thing and rightfully so. Geography 101 tells us that the campus of JCHS is located within the city limits of Paintsville. This information could have had it's origin anywhere from the parking lot at McDonalds to the Pizza Hut. Relax DC take a deep breath. It is probably just a terrible rumor.
Matney will stay put, big difference coaching high school and a bad college team
If RIPKIN says it, I believe it. If anyone knew his alter ego, they would say THREAD CLOSED.
Well seeing as it's a rumor, and unless RIPKIN is Matney himself, it stays open awaiting speculation.