Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd County fires Head football coach Lee Evans.
RAMBAIT Wrote:I thought it was absolutely comical to watch a jr. high team run the single wing. now next year they will have to learn to play in an offense that they should already be familiar with but, the won't because they've been running a gimmick offense for 2 years instead of learning what the varsity does.

I thought it was pretty comical as well watching Morgan county put it all over Boyd's varsity 32-0 running that same gimmick offense.
Actually Clovis East run the double wing offense and so does Morgan County that has a QB, in the single wing offense they snap it to different people and such I am just saying that if the high school doe snot run that offense then the feeders should not be running it period
Yeah, I don't get the whole "gimmick" thing either about the single wing offense? Heck, it was THE offense that people ran the 1st half of the 20th century. Thing is, all of this "wildcat" to go along with Oregon, Meyer's stuff, Gus Malzon (Auburn O.C), etc., are all offenses with not just single wing, but wing t and wishbone principles throughout their entire offense.

There are plenty of Single Wing football teams across the country. I can't think of any true Single Winf teams here in Kentucky can't understand why there aren't any? If any of you want to see how much of a "gimmick" it's not, go to YouTube and search "Apopka football". They are out of Florida and have won a couple big school state championships te last two years. Granted, they are working with a totally different kind of clientele than most in KY work with on in terms of athletes. Then again, I've never seen an offense that was made famous from below average players.
Just watched the video you referenced and while I am not a master of the single wing offense what I saw of Apopka looked totally different than what Boyd middle runs. Apopka snapped to a QB type position every snap and then used handoffs and lots of misdirection. What I saw bc you in middle school was 3 backs all hunkered down (almost trying to hide) and direct snap to different ones on particular plays. Just commenting on the differences I saw
SlantStrong Wrote:If you think it's a gimmick offense, go and check out Clovis East high school in California. They're one of the winningest programs in the last decade.( not to mention they run that same gimmick offense)

Never heard of them. That should say something about a gimmick offense.
SlantStrong Wrote:I thought it was pretty comical as well watching Morgan county put it all over Boyd's varsity 32-0 running that same gimmick offense.

Maybe that's why he got fired. For apparently listing to one of the goober heads in his non existant feeder program. Not to mention the kid they are all banking on in that feeder program won't stay there.
RAMBAIT Wrote:Maybe that's why he got fired. For apparently listing to one of the goober heads in his non existant feeder program. Not to mention the kid they are all banking on in that feeder program won't stay there.

True. He's going to Fairview.
RAMBAIT Wrote:Never heard of them. That should say something about a gimmick offense.

Double Wing is one of the hardest offenses to stop if you know how to run it. If everything is put into it, it can get very very tricky. East Clovis knows how to run the Double Wing, There coach is a Double Wing Guru from what I've heard. I'd rather have the Double Wing and everything put into it then anyother type of offense

But let's get back on topic, this is about Boyd County firing there head coach, not Football offenses
RAMBAIT Wrote:Never heard of them. That should say something about a gimmick offense.

“Clovis East is the Most Successful new Football Program in California History.”
IN THE LAST 12 YEARS

4 League Championships

2 Valley Championship

5 Times in the Playoffs

3 Times State Top 10

2 Times Top Ten in Western Region

2 Times Nationally Ranked

USA Today Top 25 in the Nation

3 Times Led Clovis Unified in Rushing Yards
and Touchdowns.

Now you have....
I agree SK. I do agree it's a major problem when your middle school isn't on the same page. If Boyd is a spread team, their middleschool should be a spread team. Everybody has to be on the same page. First off, did coach Evans not have any say in who coached the middle school? If not, bad situation for anyone to get in. The head high school football coach should have control over the middle school and youth league football programs. He should select or have major input on the hiring process of these coaches. The head high school football coach should tell them what they are going to be running( pertaining to what the H.S. runs) and then clinic them on offense and defense.(as pertaining to what the high school runs) This is the only way to build a program, everybody on the same page. If the youth league runs the wishbone, the middle school runs the wing T, and the high school runs the spread, this has not helped the transition at all. Bottom line is if the middle school coaches and youth leauge coaches are not on the same page as the high school, the head high school football coach should have the authority to tell them " Either you run what we do or go to the house, I'm trying to build a football program here."
did Boyd County run the Double Wing?
Strikeout King Wrote:did Boyd County run the Double Wing?

No
I agree with you 100 percent. You cannot build a successful program without everyone being on the same page. Unfortunately you get some overzealous person that feels that they know more than the High School coaches. And actually they might, however you have to show devotion to the High School program and run what THEY want you to run. Otherwise you are just re-teaching your kids as they move up a different system. People should understand it's not about what you know and like.......it's about building a strong platform for the kids to move up in each level.
I agree with what you are saying, the feeder programs have to be on the same page as the high school. I have kept up with BC Football over the last 5 years, and the feeder programs seem to be concerned about making a few kids stand out instead of thinking of the total program. These kids are so confused by the time they reach High school from running different systems. Whoever they hire as new Head coach needs to get a hold on the feeders or he will be out in a couple years as well. Stop trying to please the parents and do something about building the program back up! The Program should be bigger than little Johnny and his parents. Good luck to BC in the future.
Strikeout King Wrote:did Boyd County run the Double Wing?

Their middle school did and from what I heard was very good. Their high school was spread and I. In all honesty, no matter how good the middle school was they were not doing the high school any favors by doing this. The blocking is different, the scheme is totally different, splits are different, a complete different concept all together. Now when they become fresh., they will have to learn a whole different style.( or would have)
Popeye Wrote:I agree with what you are saying, the feeder programs have to be on the same page as the high school. I have kept up with BC Football over the last 5 years, and the feeder programs seem to be concerned about making a few kids stand out instead of thinking of the total program. These kids are so confused by the time they reach High school from running different systems. Whoever they hire as new Head coach needs to get a hold on the feeders or he will be out in a couple years as well. Stop trying to please the parents and do something about building the program back up! The Program should be bigger than little Johnny and his parents. Good luck to BC in the future.

Exactly right. All good prgrams are on the same page from high school down. You will never have a program when your high school and middle school do not work together. In Morgan county, they finally got everybody on the same page. The head high school coach is over all levels of football. High school, middle school, youth leagues, all run the same offense and defense. Everybody at every level is on the same page. Within 2 years of doing this Morgan went from being on a 19 game losing streak to being an 8-3 football team. Getting all levels on the same page, working together, is the only way to have a program. All levels run what the high school does. If they didn't or wouldn't, somebodyelse would be brought in that would be on the same page. If coach Evans could have done this, he would have had more success. If this continues to go on, same story with the next guy. Was coach Evans not allowed to tell the middle school what they needed to be doing? If not, He should have been.
i agree that lower levels in the program should run something basic as the high school. But the high school has changed there offense 3 times in the last 6 years. I was told just the other day from a local successful varsity coach that if you teach the kids to block and tackle I’ll teach them my system. I believe that what I saw at the middle school was the coaching staff put these kids in a system that they would be successful in and have fun playing. The eighth grade numbers actually grew over the past few years going undefeated and the 7th grade finished with a winning record and a trip to the regional finals. Now these kids actually expect to walk on the field and win ball games. Football not just x’s and o’s these kids have tasted victory and now expect it. You have to have the right attitude, discipline, and basic fundamentals to win ball games.
SlantStrong Wrote:Their middle school did and from what I heard was very good. Their high school was spread and I. In all honesty, no matter how good the middle school was they were not doing the high school any favors by doing this. The blocking is different, the scheme is totally different, splits are different, a complete different concept all together. Now when they become fresh., they will have to learn a whole different style.( or would have)
They run the single wing. Big difference in double and single. Single has no QB and direct snaps to the backs.
Anybody hearing any rumors on who's up for this job?? :popcorn:
What about Tackett at Ashland(was head coach at Fairview for a while), or does he have coach in waiting status over there? Is he still there?

Would he be a good hire at Boyd?
Not saying a change wasn't in order but I doubt this one kid or any others will make that big of a difference. Kids dont play because they like the coach they play because of their love of the game. That is the problem with our society today, this everyone gets a trophy analogy is a problem. Boyd if they want to get better need a total program. I watch the middle school this year and they were running the single wing, I know the high school does not run that. I want to see the county rise agian but it is going to take time and some serious changes to the whole program and support from the administration to get good assistants and give the new coach full control of the program from youth to 12 th grade

:rockon: :Thumbs:
Surely someone knows the names of at least a few applicants. Rumor up my way is 15-20 have applied or expressed interest? Can anyone close to the program at BC let us in on who in interested or who has applied?

In regards to the Ashland Assistant Tackett, according to a buddy who is close to the Ashland program yes Tackett is still coaching there and there is NO WAY he would apply for BC. The exact quote or as close as I can say in a family oriented environment was "Are you crazy, Why would he want to go from Ashland to Boyd? He can flat out coach football, but he wouldn't make a lateral move and going from a top assistant at Ashland to Boyd headcoach is a lateral move at best"

Come on Boyd County folks gives us EKY guys some info on this opening
The Boyd job is not on the Khsaa position post. Could mean that they are looking local.