Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butler @ Trinity 8/25 (6A Semi-Finals)
In 6A, Butler beat Henderson County in overtime last week to win its first region title in 18 years and earn the Bears a shot at Trinity, rated No. 1 in the nation by Sports Illustrated and Rivals.com. "I told the kids, 'Look, this time of year, everybody's great. You didn't think our next game would be easy, did you?' " Bears Coach Scott Carmony said. Butler isn't obsessing over Trinity's supposed invincibility. Carmony said the Bears are "going to worry about us and work all week on blocking, tackling, playing great defense and running the football." Butler is led by fullback/linebacker Alonzo Brock and Kiante Northington, who plays just about everywhere. Butler and Trinity last met in the playoffs in 1993, and the Bears won 21-0.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/11/24/19721...z1egS6H0eR
When Butler hosts unbeaten and No. 1-ranked Trinity in a Class 6-A semifinal playoff game at 7:30 tonight, it will remind fans just how far the Bears have come during the four-year reign of coach Scott Carmony.

In 2008 he took over a once-proud football program that had lost 15 straight games. That streak grew to 23 when his first team at the Shively school lost its first eight games.

“We won two of our last three games in ’08, and that’s when the lights came on,” Carmony said.

The winless streak came to an end when the Bears beat Holy Cross 34-20 on Halloween. Since then Butler has gradually improved to where it has a 24-22 record under Carmony, including this year’s 11-2 mark to take against a 12-0 Trinity team that is No. 1 in several national rankings.

“I left the comforts of home when I left Jeffersontown,” Carmony said. “When I first got here at Butler I asked myself, ‘Am I the craziest guy in the world?’ Everything I found at Butler was dead last in 6-A.”

How did he turn it around?

“It was a slow process of sticking to the plan,” he said. “The kids bought into the physical nature of the game. That was such a glaring thing. That was job No. 1. For two or three springs we did nothing but learn to block and tackle. We kept grinding, and it got better each year.”

In 2009 Butler started out 6-0 but lost its last five games, including its playoff opener to Simon Kenton 49-7. Last season the Bears finished 5-6 after a 4-1 start, losing to Ballard 42-12 in the first round of the playoffs.

Butler, which won a 3-A state title in 1970 and a 4-A crown in 1979, is riding a seven-game winning streak since losing to Manual 40-35 on Sept. 29. Its other loss was to Male 13-10 in the season opener.

“It’s been a really fun year,” said Carmony, whose team is No. 14 in The Courier-Journal’s Litkenhous Ratings. “The seniors this year were my first freshman class, and they’ve been through the grind. I’ve enjoyed the heck out of being around this bunch of kids. For the most part they’ve shown up every Friday night.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...t|Sports|p
This one has running clock written all over it...
Bird4Life Wrote:This one has running clock written all over it...
Yep, Butler don't stand a snowballs chance in hell.
Rocks 7-0 with 6;00 to go in the 1st
Trinity driving in the 2nd qtr
21-6, Rocks. 4:15 left. Quick 57 yard TD reception.
Trinity 21 Butler 6 at the half. Butler is giving Trinity its toughest game since Indianapolis Cathedral. Butler is well coached.
1st half T: Quick 4 catches for 74 yards, 2 TD's. Wright is 7 of 9 for 99 yards. Dawkins has 12 rushes for 107 yards.
28-6 Trinity in 3Q
A huge kick off return by Dawkins, followed by another huge run by Dawkins, eventually leads to Quick's 3rd TD catch.

28-6. 9:33 left in 3rd.
Dawkins up to 228 yards rushing so far.
Dawkins TD for Trinity.
4:06 left in 3rd.
35-6
Dawkins with over 300 all purpose yards tonight.
Dawkins TD for Trinity.
4:06 left in 3rd.
35-6
Shaw with a Trinity touchdown catch.

Trinity 49 Butler 6.