Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell v/s Belfry Tradition
AAA: Central 46, Belfry 7,AAA: Central 27, Belfry 17,AAA: Owensboro 14, Belfry 0,AAA: Paducah Tilghman 29, Belfry 14......AA: Belfry 33, Elizabethtown 27,AA: Belfry 28, Owensboro Catholic 21.............there 2-5 in State Championship Games.......they could be headed to there 8th with a win on 11/25/11....................

AAA: Bell County 35, Meade County 1AAAA: Bell County 15, Bullitt East 13,there 2-0 in State Championship games.

3of the 5 AAA games for Belfry was in the old 3A,not sure if Bell was in the same class those years with Belfry,couldnt find it,so by looking at these numbers who do you say has the better tradition?do you say Belfry been there more but lost more?or do you say that dont matter atleast they made it?just thought i would throw this out there since all thats ever said is how Bell would beat Belfry every year,they might have but we dont know if they dont play,this thread is just talk about it not to get anything started,post your comments but be civil, and back it up with true statments not your opinion...
cuppett777 Wrote:AAA: Central 46, Belfry 7,AAA: Central 27, Belfry 17,AAA: Owensboro 14, Belfry 0,AAA: Paducah Tilghman 29, Belfry 14......AA: Belfry 33, Elizabethtown 27,AA: Belfry 28, Owensboro Catholic 21.............there 2-5 in State Championship Games.......they could be headed to there 8th with a win on 11/25/11....................

AAA: Bell County 35, Meade County 1AAAA: Bell County 15, Bullitt East 13,there 2-0 in State Championship games.

3of the 5 AAA games for Belfry was in the old 3A,not sure if Bell was in the same class those years with Belfry,couldnt find it,so by looking at these numbers who do you say has the better tradition?do you say Belfry been there more but lost more?or do you say that dont matter atleast they made it?just thought i would throw this out there since all thats ever said is how Bell would beat Belfry every year,they might have but we dont know if they dont play,this thread is just talk about it not to get anything started,post your comments but be civil, and back it up with true statments not your opinion...

Sorry but it looks to me that you are grabbing at straws. I really don't see either as having a championship "Tradition".
tradition Wrote:Sorry but it looks to me that you are grabbing at straws. I really don't see either as having a championship "Tradition".

The teams themselves, no. You have to look at all the tangibles involved in matter at hand. Coaching, Time-of-date, players, ECT... One can argue that these are two of the top ten programs in the state.
The two best programs in the "mountains" by far.
I wouldnt say there is a lot of difference between the two.
Both teams have had great success over the years,but to say one is better than the other is impossible. They may face each other next year and Belfry wins, and then they may not see each other again until say 5-6 years down the road, would this one game make Belfry the better program? I wouldn't put each teams greatness on the line for one game,wouldn't be fair for past Bell great teams in my opinion. And then say Belfry is down in say that 5-6 span and Bell stomps them say 55-7 and then the next year 59-14 when Bell has one of there best teams ever it wouldn't be fair to the past great teams that Belfry has had. I think both teams are great teams with bright futures. I would say both teams and there fans should be proud, which they are. Two good teams with great traditions. Go Pirates! ready to take a ride onTongueirateSho our ship to the CHAMPIONSHIP! TongueirateSho:wenumber1
Real Badman Wrote:The teams themselves, no. You have to look at all the tangibles involved in matter at hand. Coaching, Time-of-date, players, ECT... One can argue that these are two of the top ten programs in the state.

Trinity 20 titles
Highlands 20 titles
St Xavier 12 titles
Male 6 titles
Danville 10 titles
Mayfield 8 titles
Beechwood 11 titles
Fort Campbell 6 titles
Covington Catholic 6 titles
Boyle 7 titles

Here are the top winners just in the number of state titles.
Hatz Wrote:Trinity 20 titles
Highlands 20 titles
St Xavier 12 titles
Male 6 titles
Danville 10 titles
Mayfield 8 titles
Beechwood 11 titles
Fort Campbell 6 titles
Boyle 7 titles

Titles mean more than total wins
I think that Belfry has only beaten Bell 2 times. 1995 and 1998. Bell has won 1989,91,92,96 and 97. I believe that this is the only time they have played. All of these games were in playoffs except for the 1989 and it was in the Pike Co Bowl. These are 2 great mountain teams would love to see these teams play each other.
Amped 88 Wrote:I think that Belfry has only beaten Bell 2 times. 1995 and 1998. Bell has won 1989,91,92,96 and 97. I believe that this is the only time they have played. All of these games were in playoffs except for the 1989 and it was in the Pike Co Bowl. These are 2 great mountain teams would love to see these teams play each other.

These 2 should be playing tonite...........but that dead horse has been beat to death............thanks to u khsaa
4ThePlayerz Wrote:These 2 should be playing tonite...........but that dead horse has been beat to death............thanks to u khsaa

GC should be in the west before Bell if you go by location of i-75
[quote=cuppett777]GC should be in the west before Bell if you go by location of i-75[/QUOTE

That is part of the point i was saying about beating a dead horse........bell will be stuck in the west for at least one more season...........hoping the khsaa will realign after the 2012 season
Hatz Wrote:Trinity 20 titles
Highlands 20 titles
St Xavier 12 titles
Male 6 titles
Danville 10 titles
Mayfield 8 titles
Beechwood 11 titles
Fort Campbell 6 titles
Boyle 7 titles

If that be the case, then I suppose everyone will agree that UCLA is a better basketball program then Kentucky. See what I did there?
Real Badman Wrote:If that be the case, then I suppose everyone will agree that UCLA is a better basketball program then Kentucky. See what I did there?

On the whole. Programs have "up" and "down" years. Success for most programs, (I know this is true at Boyle anyway), is measured in titles. I'm sure other programs would agree. Someone who doesn't want to compare state titles to compare programs is simply a program who has none. The ultimate test of success for a Football team at this level is to win those final 5 grueling games through Nov and Dec, when everyones beaten and banged up. Any team can play a subpar schedule for years and rack up more wins than a team whose better than them, simply based on the Competition they play. I can think of Lex Cath last year, Who played teams like Cinci Elder, Highlands, and other really, really good programs, and were maybe 4-3 or 5-2 when we met them, as opposed to West Jessamine who played "nobody programs", and was 7-0 at the time we met.
RebelRowdie Wrote:On the whole. Programs have "up" and "down" years. Success for most programs, (I know this is true at Boyle anyway), is measured in titles. I'm sure other programs would agree. Someone who doesn't want to compare state titles to compare programs is simply a program who has none. The ultimate test of success for a Football team at this level is to win those final 5 grueling games through Nov and Dec, when everyones beaten and banged up. Any team can play a subpar schedule for years and rack up more wins than a team whose better than them, simply based on the Competition they play. I can think of Lex Cath last year, Who played teams like Cinci Elder, Highlands, and other really, really good programs, and were maybe 4-3 or 5-2 when we met them, as opposed to West Jessamine who played "nobody programs", and was 7-0 at the time we met.

Whatever....success is relative. When Danville was beating Boyle like a drum through the 80s and early 90s success to Boyle was beating Danville. Things change when and when it does your ideal of what is or is not a successful season does as well.

This is just my opinion, mine alone and I could care less if anyone agress, but success is consistently winning and producing well-rounded, productive young men who look to go out into the real world and be positive contributors to our society. Bell Co. and Belfry are as good of examples of that kind of success as you'll see statewide.

Championships??? Well, the team with the most football talent gets those. Sometimes we've been that team, but often times we haven't. When our kids play up to their potential I feel like they're having a successful season.

As to which program is more successful, who could say?? I feel like both have had tremendous amounts of success, and are in contention each and every year. They are almost models of each other, and although I'm a Belfry fan, I find myself rooting for Bell because of the respect I have for their program...except when they play us.
In my opinion Belfry is for sure the best program in the mountains. Seems like they are in the finals every year. I will say, Bell didn't miss a beat when they changed coaches. I don't think the same thing would happen if Belfry lost Coach Hayward. Bell would of not went past the final eight if Coach Hilton was still there. What I am saying is Bell has built a very good program. Without Coach Hayward I don't know if Belfry would continue to consistently go to the finals. Both programs should be proud of their accomplishments.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Whatever....success is relative. When Danville was beating Boyle like a drum through the 80s and early 90s success to Boyle was beating Danville. Things change when and when it does your ideal of what is or is not a successful season does as well.

This is just my opinion, mine alone and I could care less if anyone agress, but success is consistently winning and producing well-rounded, productive young men who look to go out into the real world and be positive contributors to our society. Bell Co. and Belfry are as good of examples of that kind of success as you'll see statewide.

Championships??? Well, the team with the most football talent gets those. Sometimes we've been that team, but often times we haven't. When our kids play up to their potential I feel like they're having a successful season.

As to which program is more successful, who could say?? I feel like both have had tremendous amounts of success, and are in contention each and every year. They are almost models of each other, and although I'm a Belfry fan, I find myself rooting for Bell because of the respect I have for their program...except when they play us.

Boyle did that many times in the 60's and 70's and even early 80's. They had a number of winning seasons, big wins (vs. Danville, Harrodsburg, Henry Clay, Somerset, etc) but did not have the same success in playoffs and/or getting there. (As to the Danville dominance: that really begin from 1985 on. The games in '81, '82, '83, and '84 were all very close with a break or two deciding the outcome. After that, the games were decided by the Ads talent walking off the bus.)

I posted the titles because the poster stated that Bell/Belfry were without a doubt, among the top 10 programs in the state. I simply pointed out that other programs would be in consideration and I'm not certain that statement is easily made.

That said, I respect what both have continued to bring to the table and my hats off to them. They are among the best in the state and are worthy of the discussion. :Thumbs:
Belfry was in the AAA title game in 1979 also losing to a very talented Joker Phillips led franklin team. I believe something like 49-7 but not sure.
watcher Wrote:In my opinion Belfry is for sure the best program in the mountains. Seems like they are in the finals every year. I will say, Bell didn't miss a beat when they changed coaches. I don't think the same thing would happen if Belfry lost Coach Hayward. Bell would of not went past the final eight if Coach Hilton was still there. What I am saying is Bell has built a very good program. Without Coach Hayward I don't know if Belfry would continue to consistently go to the finals. Both programs should be proud of their accomplishments.

The Pirates have consistently evolved into a more elite program with the past 3 coaches. Coach Vipperman made them the toughest team in the area and occasionally scaried the big boys down state(that mt team weren't suppose to back then), Coach Roddy continued the local dominance and broke thru the glass ceiling and proved Belfry could beat the big boys by defeating Ft. Highlands in the semi-finals and going to state, Coach Haywood has increased our area of dominance and demonstrated our ablilty to beat any team in the state regardless of geography. The Belfry tradition runs wide and deep so whenever Coach Haywood decides to retire(hopefully it's a long time from now) the tradition he has grown and taken to another level will continue.
Sounds like you know Belfry history much more than I do. Lets hope Coach Hayward stays around a long time. I don't know him, but from what I hear he is a very classy person. I do know some accomplished coaches that love their self more than their players. They forget about them once they play their last game. I also hear he is a great christian and moral person. I would love for my son to play for him. Big Red Nation you should be proud to have him as your coach. How times has Belfry actually played in the finals counting this year?
watcher Wrote:How times has Belfry actually played in the finals counting this year?

I'm wanting to say 9 times counting this year. I may be wrong thou.
cuppett777 Wrote:AAA: Central 46, Belfry 7,AAA: Central 27, Belfry 17,AAA: Owensboro 14, Belfry 0,AAA: Paducah Tilghman 29, Belfry 14AAA: Franklin-Simpson 33, Belfry 0......AA: Belfry 33, Elizabethtown 27,AA: Belfry 28, Owensboro Catholic 21.............there 2-5 in State Championship Games.......they could be headed to there 8th with a win on 11/25/11....................

sorry i forgot this one AAA: Franklin-Simpson 33, Belfry 0......1979
Before the state playoff came in, end of the season bowl games were the prize, belfry has been to and won the big sandy bowl several times, led by people like irland smith and rick kestner. The bearmeat vipperman 68 team was the first to go undefeated and make a deep playoff run getting beat by highland in the semi, in 77 the piates led by coach dick roddy and players like jim matney went to the semi again to be defeated by a northern ky erlanger lloyd the 79 team kicked down the door and beat highlands for the first time went into the state 12-0 to get beat by franklin simpson. Pirate tradition is long and deep i could go on a lot more. Bell is not as long but equally strong, its like comparing alabama to notre dame
Stardust Wrote:Titles mean more than total wins

I thought the subject here was "tradition". Does Bell Co.
really have that much tradition going back before Hilton?
Does Belfry have much before Haywood? That's the
question. Not number of titles. Boyle Co. has 7 titles
since 1997/8? But next to no tradtion prior to that.

Think about UCLA and Wooden. 10 title in 12 years.
but NO tradition prior to that. And not a lot since.
Tradition is playing the game well for years upon
years, and even if you have a little down spell, you
come back again.
There is no doubt Belfry has more over all tradition than Bell. Any one would say that. Bell has a great program, but over the years Belfry wins hands down. I didn't really know how long Belfry has been a powerful football school until this thread. Bell has won a bunch of games and Belfry has been to the finals a bunch of times. Bell has been there a few times too. The answer to the question is Belfry, but Bell has had a good program for the last 20 years too.
watcher Wrote:There is no doubt Belfry has more over all tradition than Bell. Any one would say that. Bell has a great program, but over the years Belfry wins hands down. I didn't really know how long Belfry has been a powerful football school until this thread. Bell has won a bunch of games and Belfry has been to the finals a bunch of times. Bell has been there a few times too. The answer to the question is Belfry, but Bell has had a good program for the last 20 years too.

I know for a fact Dudley Hilton won 2 championships at Bell, same number Haywood's won at Belfry, correct?
Real Badman Wrote:I know for a fact Dudley Hilton won 2 championships at Bell, same number Haywood's won at Belfry, correct?

Dudley won a title at Bourbon in 1997...then at Bell in 1991 and 2008

Haywood won at Belfry in 2003 and 2004.
LCDAWGS19 Wrote:Dudley won a title at Bourbon in 1997...then at Bell in 1991 and 2008

Haywood won at Belfry in 2003 and 2004.

What's your point?
Yes, I agree, What is your point? I don't understand. Hayward has been there a bunch of times, and again this year, but this thread is about the schools overall tradition.
DSRfan Wrote:I thought the subject here was "tradition". Does Bell Co.
really have that much tradition going back before Hilton?
Does Belfry have much before Haywood? That's the
question. Not number of titles. Boyle Co. has 7 titles
since 1997/8? But next to no tradtion prior to that.

Think about UCLA and Wooden. 10 title in 12 years.
but NO tradition prior to that. And not a lot since.
Tradition is playing the game well for years upon
years, and even if you have a little down spell, you
come back again.

Must have missed my earlier post on Boyle.

The Rebels had three District titles in the old school points system and went to the playoffs three times in the 60's, 70's and early 80's.

Posted seasons of 9-0, 9-1, 9-2, 10-2, 9-1-1 among other winnings seasons during those years. Boyle posted wins over such programs as Danville, Harrodsburg, Henry Clay, Bardstown, Somerset, among others. Tradition was there but from '84 to '91 the Rebs had only one winning season. That's what leads so many to think Boyle just appeared on the scene with Chuck Smith. :Thumbs:
Ok Ill throw my 2 cents in here. You all are leaving out a mountain school that was and still is known state wide as a mountain football power that dates all the way back to the 1950s. They have more state title trophies in their trophy case than either Bell or Belfry and it could very well be argued that this school is one of the cornerstone schools along with Bell, Belfry, Breathitt and Corbin that helped put mountain football on the map. Take a big wild guess who Im talking about? Before you Belfry and Bell fans get your panties in a wad. Let me say this: I have full respect for both of your programs. To say you both have alot of tradition is an understatement of galactic proportions. Im just saying as far as mountain schools go. Pikeville DESERVES to at least be in the argument and the numbers back me up on this!