Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern 28 Harlan Co. 21 OT
I don't believe that the best team won, but that's how these things go sometimes. Congrats SW on winning region and HC on another great season.
I just wanted to say how much I have loved and enjoyed watching this set of seniors play since they were in the 5th grade. It has truly been a pleasure and I am so proud of each and everyone of you. You have brought pride and tradition to our program and we all know you gave it everything.

Congrats to SW...hope you guys make it to Bowling Green, know your program has had adversity this year and you should be proud of your accomplishments.

Comeback Kid, what kind of a redneck, jackass, 3-year old are you? Man, get a life.

GO BEARS!!!
""comeback kid xXx......
You are childish, vendictive and terribley offensive to me. Stardust should have banned you when you came out with all that crap to Filthy Animal instead of putting a warning in your mailbox. I'm certain that you you have some offensive and sexually deviant thing to post in your reply; however, I will no longer be visiting this site. ""

mmmmmm...you forgot petty, jealous and whiney!!!!
This fan from Letcher Central would like to congratulate both programs on great seasons. Both the Warriors and Filthy Animals are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Patriot Wrote:Ha Ha just another PCC cheering for another team to beat the Black Bears! Our seniors have filled up our trophy case, what about yours plenty of Basketball trophies I guess! Well maybe there is one for a lot of tackles or the most jackasses in a fanbase, but I'll take those district and regional trophies any day!!! Go Bear!!!!

Woah man, it's just one of our fans, there were plenty of PCC fans pulling for the Bears in this one. But I see how that goes, just bash all of us over one, oh well :flush:. Hope to see SW in Bowling Green, their kids deserve it. There should be no search for a new head coach at SW, the 'interim' is really making the best of his opportunity. Sounds like HC put the ball on the ground way too much last night, you can't win many games when you do that, especially against a talented team like Southwestern.
Rushing Harlan County 164 SW 147 Passing HC 146 SW 107 HC QB 8-15-1 SW QB 4-9-1 The Black Bear QB also held a few and tucked and ran. Things just didn't go right. Tough breaks on a few plays as well. It was a slobberkbnocker and SW came out with the win. GO BLACK BEARS!!!!
Aslan Wrote:I don't believe that the best team won, but that's how these things go sometimes. Congrats SW on winning region and HC on another great season.

Just how far did you fall when you bumped your head?:please:
devildawg401 Wrote:

Just how far did you fall when you bumped your head?:please:

Oh man, how original, I've never heard that one.
The best team don't always win and this is a classic example of that.
BTW, I'm far from a Harlan fan, just an unbiased poster.
Aslan Wrote:I don't believe that the best team won, but that's how these things go sometimes. Congrats SW on winning region and HC on another great season.

I have to kindly disagree with you my friend. Southwestern's defense is better equipped to stop a running team and that showed in this game as they held HC to less than half of what they normally average in a game. Now if Dale Anderson was still coaching this team, I would definitely agree with you but, this team is a completely different team with Coach Stephens at the helm.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
It feels like the run the Warriors are on is meant to be!!
They have all the bounces going their way, and they are so close to playing mistake free.
What is scary about this team is that they have yet to play their best game, they havent peaked yet and i believe they can play a perfect game!!
It's cool to disagree, but my opinion isn't changing. Harlan was the best team in the region and sometimes the best team don't always win when it counts. Classic example is John Wall's Kentucky squad...
Aslan Wrote:It's cool to disagree, but my opinion isn't changing. Harlan was the best team in the region and sometimes the best team don't always win when it counts. Classic example is John Wall's Kentucky squad...

That team wasn't exactly great, sure it was filled with first round NBA picks, but at the time they we're mainly freshman. their were better teams, with more experience. I disagree with you that SW wasn't the better team, no knock on HC at all. But all we have to judge on who the better team was in the 48 min of game time. During that 48 min, the two teams we're evenly matched, and needed extra time, and in that extra time, SW was better, thus, SW was the better team. All that matters is who is the better team on friday night, not who the best was every night before.
BellCoFaithful Wrote:That team wasn't exactly great, sure it was filled with first round NBA picks, but at the time they we're mainly freshman. their were better teams, with more experience. I disagree with you that SW wasn't the better team, no knock on HC at all. But all we have to judge on who the better team was in the 48 min of game time. During that 48 min, the two teams we're evenly matched, and needed extra time, and in that extra time, SW was better, thus, SW was the better team. All that matters is who is the better team on friday night, not who the best was every night before.

That UK team was great. We had by far the best team that year, won 30+ games, and only lost 3. Five first round picks, no excuse for us not to win the championship that year, and losing to freaking West Virgina. But I'm not talking about that anymore cause the thought of it pisses me off, lol.
But I'm NOT a Harlan Co fan, just making an unbiased observation.
leecoukfan Wrote:I have to kindly disagree with you my friend. Southwestern's defense is better equipped to stop a running team and that showed in this game as they held HC to less than half of what they normally average in a game. Now if Dale Anderson was still coaching this team, I would definitely agree with you but, this team is a completely different team with Coach Stephens at the helm.

Definitely agree with this statement. If Anderson was still there, the Warriors' season would have ended in the first round of the playoffs.
Aslan Wrote:That UK team was great. We had by far the best team that year, won 30+ games, and only lost 3. Five first round picks, no excuse for us not to win the championship that year, and losing to freaking West Virgina. But I'm not talking about that anymore cause the thought of it pisses me off, lol.
But I'm NOT a Harlan Co fan, just making an unbiased observation.

Look it is just the same we have heard all year, and you are right , it is cool to diagree. I would agree with you on the point that the first 4 games when we had the same stale play calling Harlen def had best game plan but never a better team. Coach Stephens has them playing great now but I would not say Harlen is less of a team than us because they lost! All I mean is they are the most closely matched team I have seen play each other and if you seen the game you would know that. In a case of 2 evenly matched teams like this it is decided by who makes the least mistakes. This time the mistakes were advantage South Western. I would never say the beat team lost because the final score always makes that statement a TOTAL OXYMORAN!:dontthink
First of all, I have to say that I was completely wrong about Southwestern's offensive capabilities. Powell, Wilson, Williams, and Turpin are players, no question. I did not think that Southwestern had that kind of fire power offensively, but credit to them because they do.

However, the thing that impressed me the most about Southwestern was their defensive line. They were unbelievable in the first half especially and never let up. I had previously predicted that they may be able to stop the run early but Harlan County would wear them down in the second half. That simply did not happen and another huge credit to Southwestern.

Harlan Co. showed the great resilience, heart, and determination that you would expect from a Tom Larkey coached team and every time they were down, they kept coming back. Unbelievable second half performance by the Black Bears. I really commend the twelve seniors for what they have meant to this football program and the community. Really proud of you guys!

I was extremely frustrated with the two point conversion that would have put Harlan Co. up 8-0 instead of 6-0 and I was also very upset that when Harlan Co. scored to make it 21-20 Southwestern and the Warriors were called for offisides that they kept the ball at the 3 yard line. I couldn't understand that at all and it forced Harlan Co. to use another timeout and get their kicker back on the field.

However, no excuses. I said I was worried about Southwestern for a long time and rightfully so. Leecoukfan, I apologize because you were right about Southwestern's offensive weapons. They have PLENTY!!!!

Good Luck SW from a true Harlan Co. fan. I hope you guys represent the Region well in Bowling Green!

And to Andy Stephens, PHENOMENAL job!!!! I can't give you enough credit for how you've changed the culture of that program. Serious props!!!
While coach stephens has done a great job holding this team together. Let's give some credit to Jim Girlder (D-cord) and Chad Girlder (Oc since dale left). Without those 2 we aren't talking about SW, IMO. Da should of left a while ago, can you imagine the banners SW would had without him and his run it up the middle offense!. Go SW!
Black Bear fans, congrats on a great year.. HC has started to develope into a football power in the Mtns. IMO you must change defense schemes so that you don't give up so many homeruns on defense. When you do that you may see a state title in HC. CONGRATS,and i look forward to watching your basketball team, will be loaded.
Ill have to say that we got the best two teams in the region in the championship game!! Both these teams were so evenly matched, i dont know how you people can determine who is better. If these teams played 10 times, each team would five games, and each game would come down to the wire like this one did. I have witnessed some great high school football games, and this one is up there at the top!!!
I've waited all year to post that!!!!

Southwestern has put together a great postseason and they deserve this one.
However, I'm with Aslan on this one.

IMO if these teams played 5 times Harlan County would win 4 of them.

Keep in mind that IMO means I'm not stating a factual statement.
Only what I think.

However, I don't want that to take anything away from SW.
You get one shot at each team in the playoffs and their kids laid it all down on the line.
zaga_fan Wrote:

That's funny stuff!
This one surprised me big time. I have said it year after year if Larkey dont change his 1956 football strategy in just running the ball with no passing game the fans at Harlan mite have went as far as they will ever go. He has the athletes throw the dang thing mix things up alittle.
Great season for Harlan County! Cant wait til next year to watch you guys play again!

I totally agree.
This one is a dagger to the heart.
Great season Black Bears, hate to see it end like this.
zaga_fan Wrote:I've waited all year to post that!!!!

IMO if these teams played 5 times Harlan County would win 4 of them.

Keep in mind that IMO means I'm not stating a factual statement.
Only what I think.

You get one shot at each team in the playoffs and their kids laid it all down on the line.
Home field advantage in the playoffs is huge in high school football, more so than any other sport. If the game was played in Harlan then the black bears would more than likely have won. It was played at southwestern however and I was at the game and and SW outplayed Harlan.
meat loaf Wrote:Home field advantage in the playoffs is huge in high school football, more so than any other sport. If the game was played in Harlan then the black bears would more than likely have won. It was played at southwestern however and I was at the game and and SW outplayed Harlan.

I totally agree. Playing a game at Southwestern and Harlan County are huge differences. The bus ride takes a toll on a team - physically and mentally. If this game is played at Harlan County, I def. think the Black Bears would have pulled off the victory. Since it's Thanksgiving week, I'm thankful that the game wasn't in Harlan. haha
zaga_fan Wrote:I've waited all year to post that!!!!

IMO if these teams played 5 times Harlan County would win 4 of them.Keep in mind that IMO means I'm not stating a factual statement.
Only what I think.

I agree to the bolded.
meat loaf Wrote:Home field advantage in the playoffs is huge in high school football, more so than any other sport. If the game was played in Harlan then the black bears would more than likely have won. It was played at southwestern however and I was at the game and and SW outplayed Harlan.

I don't believe in the "Moral Victory" the best team won because that's what the scoreboard said! The Black Bears got punched a few times and punched back, SW was the only team besides Bell to match their strength. Missed opportunities hurt them, I feel, had the Black Bears took advantage of either SW turnover in the 1st half they would have settled in and played different. Having said that it was an exciting game but not one of the best (IMO) because my Black Bears lost.

PS: I hate Pulaski County! The Black Bears are 2-3 there. Just something about driving down that road I guess. They beat Somerset 38-32 in the final regular season game in 08, got drilled by SW 35-7 to open the 09 season, returned to beat SW 20-7 in the playoffs in 09, started the season in 2010 losing to Pulaski Co. 40-7, and the worst loss this year the 28-21 SW victory in overtime! The Black Bears just don't like playing in Pulaski County! I think they stop at Shiloh's every time. If we ever have to come that way again, I will leave early and burn Shiloh's to the ground!
^ District 8 as a whole has a lot of trouble leaving Pulaski County alive. Must be something in the air over there.