Poll: Who wins ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Harlan County
75.00%
Southwestern
25.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County @ Southwestern 11/18/11
Black Bears
This should be a great game between two teams that are very similar! Both teams like to run the ball and have some very good running backs. Harlan has their two headed monster in Marcus McMillian and Jake Middleton. On the other side of the ball, Southwestern has the Class 5A leading rusher in Dustin Powell. Southwestern also has Alan Williams who is a triple threat and I am not so sure that Harlan will have an answer for him because he can throw for a TD, run for a TD, or go out and catch a TD. A player that I think could be a darkhorse and the X factor in this game offensively, is Daulton Marlow. He is about 6'5'' or 6'6''. I have even heard some say that he is 6'7''. If Starnes or Turpin can throw the ball high and allow him to go up and get it, none of Harlan's CBs will be able to get anywhere near the ball and I think that this could really pose a major problem for the Black Bears.

Should be interesting to see if Southwestern will be able to go the full 4 quarters against Harlan's D-Line because they just keep coming and wear you down. There is a reason why they're called the Filthy Animal defense. While Southwestern's defense may not be as notorious, they're still very good and the anchor of the Warrior defense is Big Rob Lewis and most teams to this point have double teamed this kid and still can't stop him most of the time!

I know there are a lot of doubters out there with the way Southwestern played such a close game against Perry Central but, Southwestern's defense is more geared towards stopping the run and not stopping the big passing plays and teams that like to spread it out and throw it. That was one of the major issues that scared me and I honestly thought that the Warriors would not be able to beat Perry Central due to that. By no means am I saying that this game against Harlan Co will be easy but, I think that the Southwestern defense will be more comfortable playing against Harlan with their run heavy offense.

This should be a game for the ages and Andy Stephens really has this SW team going on all cylinders at the right time. With all the above said, I think that the winner of this game will be the team the executes their plays the best and has the least mistakes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
leecoukfan Wrote:This should be a great game between two teams that are very similar! Both teams like to run the ball and have some very good running backs. Harlan has their two headed monster in Marcus McMillian and Jake Middleton. On the other side of the ball, Southwestern has the Class 5A leading rusher in Dustin Powell. Southwestern also has Alan Williams who is a triple threat and I am not so sure that Harlan will have an answer for him because he can throw for a TD, run for a TD, or go out and catch a TD. A player that I think could be a darkhorse and the X factor in this game offensively, is Daulton Marlow. He is about 6'5'' or 6'6''. I have even heard some say that he is 6'7''. If Starnes or Turpin can throw the ball high and allow him to go up and get it, none of Harlan's CBs will be able to get anywhere near the ball and I think that this could really pose a major problem for the Black Bears.

Should be interesting to see if Southwestern will be able to go the full 4 quarters against Harlan's D-Line because they just keep coming and wear you down. There is a reason why they're called the Filthy Animal defense. While Southwestern's defense may not be as notorious, they're still very good and the anchor of the Warrior defense is Big Rob Lewis and most teams to this point have double teamed this kid and still can't stop him most of the time!

I know there are a lot of doubters out there with the way Southwestern played such a close game against Perry Central but, Southwestern's defense is more geared towards stopping the run and not stopping the big passing plays and teams that like to spread it out and throw it. That was one of the major issues that scared me and I honestly thought that the Warriors would not be able to beat Perry Central due to that. By no means am I saying that this game against Harlan Co will be easy but, I think that the Southwestern defense will be more comfortable playing against Harlan with their run heavy offense.

This should be a game for the ages and Andy Stephens really has this SW team going on all cylinders at the right time. With all the above said, I think that the winner of this game will be the team the executes their plays the best and has the least mistakes.

Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself. :Clap:
Southwestern keeps there winning ways this week and wins the region.
SouthWestern-35
Harlan County-21
Pulling for Southwestern in this one

SW-35
HC-21
If harlan wins who would they want to see next week? What about south western?
HC by 21.
Hc- 21
sw- 8
Gonna be a Bear attack on the reservation Friday night.

Harlan County 42
Southwestern 21
leecoukfan Wrote:This should be a great game between two teams that are very similar! Both teams like to run the ball and have some very good running backs. Harlan has their two headed monster in Marcus McMillian and Jake Middleton. On the other side of the ball, Southwestern has the Class 5A leading rusher in Dustin Powell. Southwestern also has Alan Williams who is a triple threat and I am not so sure that Harlan will have an answer for him because he can throw for a TD, run for a TD, or go out and catch a TD. A player that I think could be a darkhorse and the X factor in this game offensively, is Daulton Marlow. He is about 6'5'' or 6'6''. I have even heard some say that he is 6'7''. If Starnes or Turpin can throw the ball high and allow him to go up and get it, none of Harlan's CBs will be able to get anywhere near the ball and I think that this could really pose a major problem for the Black Bears.

The questions that will obviously be answered Friday Night are these questions that I've been wondering all week which are, "Can Southweatern stop all phases of Harlan Co.'s rushing attack? Can they stop the traps and the blasts? Or, if Coach Larkey puts Brewer in the Shotgun and spreads them out, can they stop Brewer without eight men in the box? And, perhaps the biggest question is, if they show that they are capable of stopping the run early, can they do it for the entire game?" Harlan Co. puts so much pressure on the defense because they have so many weapons running the football with McMillian, Middleton, Brewer, and Chorak that you just can't take a play off AND you have to have depth at defensive line.

When I look at this game, I'm sure Southwestern will come out with a ton of intensity and excitement. However, I'm not so sure that they can endure that pounding all night from Harlan Co.'s offensive line, and at the same time, play turnover-free football. It's a strength and endurance test against Harlan Co. and I'm not sure anybody in Class 5A besides maybe Bowling Green can meet the challenge.

I'll take Harlan Co. in another step toward the Class 5A Championship game 45-14.
Week is winding down and getting closer to game day!!

Black Bears by 14!!!!

Go Black Bears!!!!!
:Cheerlead GO BLACK BEARS :Cheerlead
Southwestern will be the best team Harlan County has faced besides Bell County. Better get your game face on this week boys and get your mind on what you're doing. Honestly this team makes me nervous. We have got by with some mistakes...need to play near perfect to win. Much like Harlan County last season SW is much better than the beginning of the season.
I think this will be a good game. I think Harlan County's defense will be too much for Southwestern's offensive line. I'll take the Black Bears 35-21--but I'm rooting for the Warriors.
:biggrin:South Western has definately been a second half team this past 8 games so I think we keep it close the first half then I think we can pull away a bit in the second. They must be mistake free. I think the game could potentially turn ugly either way though if either team turns it over and loses any confidence! Can't wait to see this great High School Game!
Hc by 17
I honestly think SW can win, they will have to fire on all cylinders though... good luck to both teams as the rightful champion will be crowned.
Harlan 38 Southwestern 14.
I think this will be a great match up. Harlan plays very physical but they have been really week the 2nd half of the past 3 ballgames which really worries me. It takes 4 quarters to win. The defense is good enough to hold teams the 2nd half but the offense need to get off the halftime hangover and add some points for insurance. If the Filthy Animals show up all 4 quarters Harlan by 21.
Is it Friday yet?
devildawg401 Wrote::biggrin:South Western has definately been a second half team this past 8 games so I think we keep it close the first half then I think we can pull away a bit in the second. They must be mistake free. I think the game could potentially turn ugly either way though if either team turns it over and loses any confidence! Can't wait to see this great High School Game!
SW actually came out last week in the 1st quarter and played some football but, they relaxed with a 1:40 left in the first half. I believe they will come out and play a full 48 minutes of football!
This game is going to come down on which defense gets worn down first, both teams are very physical and both backs, (Powell for SW and McMillan for HC) get better as the game goes on. Also, the field might be a little sloppy after this system passes, so holding on to the football will be a must for both squads. I believe it will be a 28-24 game in favor of SW.
UKFan8 Wrote:The questions that will obviously be answered Friday Night are these questions that I've been wondering all week which are, "Can Southwestern stop all phases of Harlan Co.'s rushing attack? Can they stop the traps and the blasts? Or, if Coach Larkey puts Brewer in the Shotgun and spreads them out, can they stop Brewer without eight men in the box? And, perhaps the biggest question is, if they show that they are capable of stopping the run early, can they do it for the entire game?" Harlan Co. puts so much pressure on the defense because they have so many weapons running the football with McMillian, Middleton, Brewer, and Chorak that you just can't take a play off AND you have to have depth at defensive line.

When I look at this game, I'm sure Southwestern will come out with a ton of intensity and excitement. However, I'm not so sure that they can endure that pounding all night from Harlan Co.'s offensive line, and at the same time, play turnover-free football. It's a strength and endurance test against Harlan Co. and I'm not sure anybody in Class 5A besides maybe Bowling Green can meet the challenge.

I'll take Harlan Co. in another step toward the Class 5A Championship game 45-14.

You do make very good points but, Southwestern has just as any weapons on offense IMO. Harlan Co does have a very good offensive line but, I went to the 1st Rd game between Pulaski Co and Harlan Co and the Maroons basically shut them down, holding them to their lowest scoring total on the season, other than Bell Co. With this said, I think that Southwestern's defense is better than Pulaski's. So it should definitely be interesting how this game plays out. I really feel that Southwestern can win this game and Harlan can obviously win as well but, this game is going to be close either way it goes. Neither team is going to win this by more than two touchdowns.

I am going with the Warriors to win this hard fought game.

Southwestern - 28

Harlan Co. - 21
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
In my opinion, Southwestern will need to stop the rushing attack of McMillian and Middleton. On the year, the two have combined for 3,354 rushing yards and 41 touchdowns on 383 carries. That's some pretty impressive numbers. Hopefully, the Warriors will stop them.
Harlan Co. wants to win it all and to be able to do that they have to soundly beat Southwestern. If they barely get by it could mean trouble ahead. With that said,I hope HC beats them good. HC 42-21. GO BEARS!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
leecoukfan Wrote:You do make very good points but, Southwestern has just as any weapons on offense IMO. Harlan Co does have a very good offensive line but, I went to the 1st Rd game between Pulaski Co and Harlan Co and the Maroons basically shut them down, holding them to their lowest scoring total on the season, other than Bell Co. With this said, I think that Southwestern's defense is better than Pulaski's. So it should definitely be interesting how this game plays out. I really feel that Southwestern can win this game and Harlan can obviously win as well but, this game is going to be close either way it goes. Neither team is going to win this by more than two touchdowns.

I am going with the Warriors to win this hard fought game.

Southwestern - 28

Harlan Co. - 21

Harlan County did have 390 yards on the ground in that game. I don't know if that qualifies as shutting them down.
Harlan County did have a lot of yards in that game against Pulaski County. And if I remember correctly, Harlan County didn't attempt a single pass the whole night??? What the Maroons did was try to slow the game down as much as they could. The Maroons did keep Harlan County from their 42 PPG average, but the score was much worse than indicated.
HDE Wrote:Harlan County did have 390 yards on the ground in that game. I don't know if that qualifies as shutting them down.

You can run for as many yards as you want but, if you're not converting that into points, its not doing ya much good!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"THEAH BEARS" by 14 Coach Larkey is a great coach
HC wins 44-14, SW will get down early by 2 td's before scoring. I have HC loosing at state finals to BG by 14 if they don't change personal on defense, #24 should be at DB.
I've seen Southwestern play twice this year, so you can believe they are not going to roll over and die. But the Black Bears will just be too much for them!

Harlan County 28
Southwestern 21