Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blowouts In Second Round
After listening to the last couple weeks threads on people complaining of blowout because of the 6 classes and how 4 teams shouldnt go to the playoffs from each district because some only have four teams and you can go 0-11 and still make it, I think you'd be surprised at how many teams were blew out in the second round, maybe just as many, and in it could happen in the Regional championships as well.
Its called parity, and currently in this state, theres not that much of it. Just another reason to keep it like it is and keep 4 teams from each district in the playoffs.

Week 2 Blowouts

Beechwood 56 Ludlow 0
Hazard 55 Campbellsville 21
Holy Cross Covington 45 Owen County 0
Newport Central Catholic 49 Lloyd 0
Belfry 46 Larence County 16
Owensboro Catholic 45 Butler County 27
Bell County 58 Wayne County 6
Breathitt County 53 Pike County Central 20
Central 62 Corbin 7
Garrard County 40 Russell 6
Paducah Tilghman 37 Monroe County 0
Boyle County 23 Rockcastle County 0
Cov Cath 35 Ashland 8
Highlands 67 Johnson Central 20
Lex Cath 44 Mercer County 7
Loan Oak 56 Owensboro 19
Anderson County 56 Montgomery County 20
Bowling Green 35 Greenwood 6
Conner 84 Franklin County 48
Harlan County 55 Lincoln County 27
John Hardin 31 North Hardin 10
Warren Central 49 Christian County 0
Butler 21 Seneca 0
Henderson County 48 PRP 0
St. X 56 Male 10
Trinity 55 Manual 0

So 26 out of the 48 games (exactly half) were decided by 3 scores or more, most of them were decided by 4 scored or more.
So what should we do cut another round off?
What if next week half of those are blowouts?

My point is KY will never be less than 6 classes ever again so the argument to take it back down to 4 classes is dead and useless to talk about.
IF you shorten the playoffs, then most of the region championships will be blowouts and just as many as the second round percentage wise.

However, coming from some of your points of view, if its really that disheartning to see this the only reasonable thing to do would be to add 3 weeks to the season and name a regional champion after the regular season to go to the playoffs which would be 2 rounds, however in a class like 3A, are you going to have teams like Bell and Corbin travel to places far away liek Louisville Central and teams in there district 3 or 4 times a year? No.
Lets only have 2 teams from each division play in the playoffs. (1A, 2A, 3A, etc...) That way we can fix the blowouts......
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:After listening to the last couple weeks threads on people complaining of blowout because of the 6 classes and how 4 teams shouldnt go to the playoffs from each district because some only have four teams and you can go 0-11 and still make it, I think you'd be surprised at how many teams were blew out in the second round, maybe just as many, and in it could happen in the Regional championships as well.
Its called parity, and currently in this state, theres not that much of it. Just another reason to keep it like it is and keep 4 teams from each district in the playoffs.

Week 2 Blowouts

Beechwood 56 Ludlow 0
Hazard 55 Campbellsville 21
Holy Cross Covington 45 Owen County 0
Newport Central Catholic 49 Lloyd 0
Belfry 46 Larence County 16
Owensboro Catholic 45 Butler County 27
Bell County 58 Wayne County 6
Breathitt County 53 Pike County Central 20
Central 62 Corbin 7
Garrard County 40 Russell 6
Paducah Tilghman 37 Monroe County 0
Boyle County 23 Rockcastle County 0
Cov Cath 35 Ashland 8
Highlands 67 Johnson Central 20
Lex Cath 44 Mercer County 7
Loan Oak 56 Owensboro 19
Anderson County 56 Montgomery County 20
Bowling Green 35 Greenwood 6
Conner 84 Franklin County 48
Harlan County 55 Lincoln County 27
John Hardin 31 North Hardin 10
Warren Central 49 Christian County 0
Butler 21 Seneca 0
Henderson County 48 PRP 0
St. X 56 Male 10
Trinity 55 Manual 0

So 26 out of the 48 games (exactly half) were decided by 3 scores or more, most of them were decided by 4 scored or more.
So what should we do cut another round off?
What if next week half of those are blowouts?

My point is KY will never be less than 6 classes ever again so the argument to take it back down to 4 classes is dead and useless to talk about.
IF you shorten the playoffs, then most of the region championships will be blowouts and just as many as the second round percentage wise.

However, coming from some of your points of view, if its really that disheartning to see this the only reasonable thing to do would be to add 3 weeks to the season and name a regional champion after the regular season to go to the playoffs which would be 2 rounds, however in a class like 3A, are you going to have teams like Bell and Corbin travel to places far away liek Louisville Central and teams in there district 3 or 4 times a year? No.

Just wanted to point out you forgot to add Williamsburg 38 Harlan 6.
Round 1 Bell Co wins 66-0
Round 2 Bell Co wins 58-6

The dogs were called off very early in both games.
Stardust Wrote:Lets only have 2 teams from each division play in the playoffs. (1A, 2A, 3A, etc...) That way we can fix the blowouts......

If that is the case you lose a good team like Knox Central who finished 3rd in a tough district. That same Knox Central team gave Boyle County a very good game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Maybe we should send NO teams from each district and then no team would have to suffer a bad loss in the playoffs! Let's just have one class with no districts. Each team could schedule 10 games against anyone they wish. By constitutional amendment, all scoreboards would be removed from every school and melted down to make participation trophys for every player.
If you and your team are not good enough to keep the score close regardless of school size, team size,coachin, and admin. support there's always one answer for your problems of being blown-out. Its called WORK HARDER or close the program!!!

THERE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE BLOW-OUTs.........PARITY is a B......... Ask Boise State and some of the teams in college football that are on the out side lookin in!
LWC Wrote:If that is the case you lose a good team like Knox Central who finished 3rd in a tough district. That same Knox Central team gave Boyle County a very good game.

Oh No - You complete missed my point (and sarcasm)! Everyone is complaining about the blowouts and how they would fix it to avoid BAD GAMES! My suggestion is the most novel of ALL! This is how this years entire Playoff season should have been!

1A - Mayfield vs. Beecwood
2A - Newport Catholic vs. Owensboro Catholic
3A - Central vs. Bell Co
4A - Highlands vs. Covington Catholic
5A - Bowling Green vs. John Hardin
6A - Trinity vs. Scott Co.

Then no one would have any reason to complain about blowouts....Confusedhh:
Stardust Wrote:Oh No - You complete missed my point (and sarcasm)! Everyone is complaining about the blowouts and how they would fix it to avoid BAD GAMES! My suggestion is the most novel of ALL! This is how this years entire Playoff season should have been!

3A - Central vs. Bell Co

Better yet, let's not have playoffs at all - we could eliminate blowouts by doing a "COIN TOSS" tournament
Stardust Wrote:Oh No - You complete missed my point (and sarcasm)! Everyone is complaining about the blowouts and how they would fix it to avoid BAD GAMES! My suggestion is the most novel of ALL! This is how this years entire Playoff season should have been!

3A - Central vs. Bell Co

Gotcha. That is one disadvantage of taking everyone's print at face-value. I rarely catch the sarcasm in any post, lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
And you left out Pikeville 54 Raceland 21. So add another to the list. I'm for the 2 teams per district. I know there would still be blowouts, but in 4 team disticts you dont have to work to make the playoffs. Its handed to you at 0-10.

3A - Central vs. Bell Co

6A Would still be a blowout Confusednicker:
I can't speak for all of those games, but the John Hardin/North Hardin game was anything but a blowout. It might look it on the score, but it wasnt indicative of the game. It was 16-10 with 10 minutes left in the game. 10-3 at halftime.

There is going to be blowouts today in college football today. Hell, Vandy is beating UK right now 24-0 at half. Should they just cut the number of teams in the SEC?
The problem with parity isn't so much with the KHSAA as it is with the fact that outside of about 25 schools and/or districts, communities, etc ., nobody truly gives a flip about their football program and athletics in general for that fact. Coaches pay sucks, facilities suck, community and administrative support sucks, etc. That's the reason for lack of parity.
Harry Doyle Wrote:I can't speak for all of those games, but the John Hardin/North Hardin game was anything but a blowout. It might look it on the score, but it wasnt indicative of the game. It was 16-10 with 10 minutes left in the game. 10-3 at halftime.

There is going to be blowouts today in college football today. Hell, Vandy is beating UK right now 24-0 at half. Should they just cut the number of teams in the SEC?

Probably not the best example to start with. I bet you'd find a lot of people who would agree that UK should not be in the SEC for football.
Sorry. but lots of second rd. blowouts, CAN'T BY ANY STRETCH OF IMAGINATION,
be used as a logical arguement for keeping things as they are.
Forgot.

Pikeville - 54
Raceland 21
Are we still going to have some that are wanting this to change system when its still the same 30 years from now?
As ive said before ive personally never heard of state dropping in class size so i believe you can forget that.
theres only 8 or 9 private schools so you can forget seperating, thatd just be ridicolous.
And except for a few realignments were going to have 6 classes from now on.

With that said, what should we do, take traditionally good teams and throw them all in the same class regardless of school size and let lesser teams play for a chmpionship to be fair?
Do you want Trinity, Highlands, Mayfield, NCC, and Bowling Green in the same class?
No.

GET BETTER. Thats the easiest way to solve all of your problems.
Hell i root for a team that went 3-8 this year and do i feel like someone had an unfair advantgae because they were better? No. Its our own fault.