Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 20 Pulaski County 0
Stardust Wrote:Only 20-0??? Still hungover from last weeks game???

Spunk Drunk!!!!!!!!! I though the defense had problems now there showing offense problems to. Over the last few games THEY can not score in the RED ZONE its either 4 and out, miss field goals or fumbles. Its Beginning to believe there SCARED of what to DO. THEY WILL HAVE TO FIX THOSE PROBLEMS.... Its really like hibernation there slowly going to sleep. I hope they WAKE UP by the state championship They should be in it. IF THERE NOT SPUNK DRUNK!!!!!
This one was much closer than I thought it would be also, glad HC advances.
DEBBIE CALDWELL/Harlan Daily Enterprise Harlan County defensive lineman Chase Calton sacked Pulaski quarterback Aaron Smith during a 20-0 victory over the visiting Maroons in the opening round of the 5A playoffs on Friday. Calton had two sacks to lead the Bears’ defense in the shutout win.
It wasn’t their most inspired performance of the season, but the Harlan County Black Bears survived and advanced in the state 5A playoffs with a 20-0 victory over Pulaski County on Friday.

“We are thankful we pulled this one out. I don’t think we played with much inspiration,” said Harlan County coach Tom Larkey. “This has been a bad week of practice. It has been rough getting over things this week. But, we are over things now. We are going to move on an try to win round two next week.”

The Harlan County defense lived up to its “filthy animal” nickname holding Pulaski County’s explosive offense scoreless.

“They are a good defensive football team. They are a good football team all the way around,” said Pulaski County coach John Hines.

The defense recorded six sacks, including two each by Chase Calton and Carson Whitehead.

Offensively, the Bears piled up 405 yards rushing on 48 carries. Senior Marcus McMillian led the ground game with 223 yards and three touchdowns on 22 carries. Junior Jake Middleton added 132 yards on 14 carries.

“I felt like when we didn’t score we should have scored,” Larkey said. “I didn’t really feel like our kids played as hard as they should have played. I don’t feel like we ran the ball as hard as we should have ran.”

Harlan County got off to a quick start as McMillian scored on a 1-yard run to cap a 65-yard drive on the Bears’ opening possession. Josh Jenkins added the extra point to make the score 7-0.

McMillian put the Bears up by two scores with a 36-yard scoring run with 5:20 left in the first half. Jenkins added the extra point to stretch the lead to 14-0.

The Bears controlled the ball and the clock for much of the night without needing to attempt a pass.

“For us to have a chance to win we had to force some punts and to turn the ball over. They were very efficient,” Hines said. “They played very well. Offensively, I thought their offensive line did a great job.”

After a defensive struggle for much of the second half, McMillian closed the scoring with a 2-yard touchdown run with 1:28 left in the game.

Harlan County (10-1) will host Lincoln County in the second round of the 5A playoffs next week. The Patriots defeated Letcher Central 28-21 on Friday.

Pulaski ends the season at 3-8.

———

Pulaski Co. 0 0 0 0 — 0

Harlan Co. 7 7 0 6 — 20

HC — McMillian 1 run (Jenkins kick)

HC — McMillian 36 run (Jenkins kick)

HC — McMillian 2 run (kick failed)

PCHS HCHS

First downs 9 14

Rushes-yards 29-142 48-405

Passing 58 0

Comp-Att-Int 6-12-1 0-0-0

Punts-Avg 5-38 1-30

Fumbles-Lost 0-0 2-1

Penalties-Yards 8-56 8-65

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING—Pulaski County, Goins 17-130, Smith 10-11, Jackson 1-3, Haste 1-(-2). Harlan County, McMillian 22-223, Middleton 14-132, Brewer 9-30, Chitwood 2-15, Chorak 1-5.

PASSING—Pulaski County, Smith 6-12-1-58.

RECEIVING—Pulaski County, Goins 5-46, Hall 1-12.

Read more: The Harlan Daily Enterprise - Black Bears shut out Pulaski County
They did what they had to do to win!! A win is a win!! There won't be any problems next week!! Go Black Bears!!!
Hangover from last week wll happen when you set your whole season on one game like they did against Bell..Stats show that you better find away to get in the endzone.. this has been a problem the past two weeks and will catch up to them..
[quote=redstorm]Hangover from last week wll happen when you set your whole season on one game like they did against Bell..Stats show that you better find away to get in the endzone.. this has been a problem the past two weeks and will catch up to them..[/]

Losing a game that they should have won is hard to get over. Only some one from Bell would be so egotistical to say that our boys whole season's goal was to beat Bell. They want to win a state championship. The Black Bears better get their chin up. They've got 4 more games to win.
Twice this year Pulaski has gone away from that jacked up 30 defense that everyone can rush 400 plus yards on and had success. They did it against N Laurel and last night. What is aggravating is they have success with another defense and go right back with the 30 which does not work against the RUN!!! Oh well, Hines has tried it for the past 8 years with no success maybe next year they will learn
Sugar Coating?? I dont think I want to join that party, but I dont want to elaborate on how I really feel either, so I will just say that IMO if the bears players AND coaches dont find some really true passion for the game soon their season will be coming to an end either next Friday or the following Friday...
I expected more scoring, but Coach Larkey followed his game plan. He knee we could run on them and we did. And after Pulaski's first drive the Filthy Animal Defense made Coach's decision to eat the clock even easier! I think it was good to get back in the win column and advance. Go Black Bears. The ones complaining about how they played tonight was are probably the ones that stayed home and waited for the score on sports overtime! This game was never really close, a couple of tense moments but the Bears set the tone and manage the game to a win. It's not always pretty, but it generally never is when you're Filthy!
Mama Bear Wrote:[quote=redstorm]Hangover from last week wll happen when you set your whole season on one game like they did against Bell..Stats show that you better find away to get in the endzone.. this has been a problem the past two weeks and will catch up to them..[/]

Losing a game that they should have won is hard to get over. Only some one from Bell would be so egotistical to say that our boys whole season's goal was to beat Bell. They want to win a state championship. The Black Bears better get their chin up. They've got 4 more games to win.

get your facts straight i believe redstorm is from whitley .correct me if i am wrong.:devilflam
belldad2011 Wrote:[quote=Mama Bear]

get your facts straight i believe redstorm is from whitley .correct me if i am wrong.:devilflam

My apologies BD11, he likes to ride Bell's coat tail's apparently and I was confused.
every body has a bad game ,better to get it out of your system early .hope u all win out.