Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recruiting?Transfers?
I know recruiting no doubt has gone on in high school for a long long time, but with all the players transferring, and/or being brought in from outside the area, this is getting crazy.

What ever happened to high school basketball being an activity for your local kids to have an opportunity to work and better themselves over time and have an opportunity to gain playing time, and play for their "hometown" school that they have came up thru elementary school, middle school, and then high school in.

I understand there may be transfers due to family moves, etc; but when you here of kids being "recruited" and "brought in" from Canada, etc, it seems to me that this whole thing is getting out of hand.

I understand by bringing in a kid, you may be giving your team a better chance to WIN, but just remember, when you bring in or recruit a kid to come in, that leaves one of those kids who have played for that school or its feeder schools, for sometimes 8-10 years, sitting on the bench.

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but just wonder what others views are??
Hondo Wrote:I know recruiting no doubt has gone on in high school for a long long time, but with all the players transferring, and/or being brought in from outside the area, this is getting crazy.

What ever happened to high school basketball being an activity for your local kids to have an opportunity to work and better themselves over time and have an opportunity to gain playing time, and play for their "hometown" school that they have came up thru elementary school, middle school, and then high school in.

I understand there may be transfers due to family moves, etc; but when you here of kids being "recruited" and "brought in" from Canada, etc, it seems to me that this whole thing is getting out of hand.

I understand by bringing in a kid, you may be giving your team a better chance to WIN, but just remember, when you bring in or recruit a kid to come in, that leaves one of those kids who have played for that school or its feeder schools, for sometimes 8-10 years, sitting on the bench.

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but just wonder what others views are??

When your school "brings in" an athlete it is called a "transfer". However, when your school loses an athlete it is called "recruiting". There is rarely a difference. All recruit- public and private. All are beneficiaries of and victims of recruiting. The main difference is that KHSAA is "selective" in whom it punishes.
Excellent post hondo. I agree completely. I would rather lose with the kids who have grown up playing together than win with kids from another country.
Why does Goliath always fear David? Bringing talent into the region only makes sense. When the skill level of the area goes up everyone in the community benefits. If there is a lot of talent in the area then it peaks the interest of colleges, national powerhouse high school teams, and financial institutions wanting to be involved in the hot bed of talent in the area. The only reason someone would not want to support this is jealousy. Oh well….its coming.
The only difference between a legitimate transfer and a recruit is the legitimate transfer plays for our team and the recruit plays for the other team.
ibldblue Wrote:Excellent post hondo. I agree completely. I would rather lose with the kids who have grown up playing together than win with kids from another country.
So I guess KY should only recruit KY players. lol!!!!! Get real you must be on the other end of the gift or your relative is getting bump out of playing time
I don't think ky schools should recruit anybody, and I don't know what gift you are talking about.
alot of the reason is because parents THINK their kids are always better than what they really are!!! I understand some of these transfer(recruits) will hurt some of the kids playing time, but what about TEAM. Parents dont teach their kids about team, they think if their child isnt playing is because of politics or the coach doesnt like their child. If parents would raise their children to work hard for what they get and to not expect anything to be given to them because of who they are we wouldnt need transfers in this area in the 1st place. Ive coach along time in eky and ive saw how the kids have changed over the yrs. I remember my best friends on the bench jumping and shouting for the ones playing to win the game. Everytime i look down a bench today all i see is long faces because their parents tell them they are the best player on the team and they should be on the floor. This is to all the parents that arent realistic: when u allow ur child to quit because they are not playing(and MOST of the time it is justified that they are not playing) u are showing them that when the going gets tuff just give up.
ballstar Wrote:alot of the reason is because parents THINK their kids are always better than what they really are!!! I understand some of these transfer(recruits) will hurt some of the kids playing time, but what about TEAM. Parents dont teach their kids about team, they think if their child isnt playing is because of politics or the coach doesnt like their child. If parents would raise their children to work hard for what they get and to not expect anything to be given to them because of who they are we wouldnt need transfers in this area in the 1st place. Ive coach along time in eky and ive saw how the kids have changed over the yrs. I remember my best friends on the bench jumping and shouting for the ones playing to win the game. Everytime i look down a bench today all i see is long faces because their parents tell them they are the best player on the team and they should be on the floor. This is to all the parents that arent realistic: when u allow ur child to quit because they are not playing(and MOST of the time it is justified that they are not playing) u are showing them that when the going gets tuff just give up.

Good post. Sometimes the truth hurts.
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:So I guess KY should only recruit KY players. lol!!!!! Get real you must be on the other end of the gift or your relative is getting bump out of playing time

No. High schools should NEVER be recruiting, period. No matter if the players they are recruiting come from another country or the next county over. It's still wrong.

Sounds to me like high school coaches that recruit are basically admitting that they can't coach. Saying in effect, "It'll be really hard to win while coaching the players I've got here now. I'd better recruit me some studs so that I don't have to do any coaching at all!" That kind of thinking may be fine in college, but not for high school.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I seriously doubt that anyone who has been"recruited" came in for family. That's just an excuse to have them here. In the end new and better talent only makes the players around here better.:betterthanexpected:
Truth Wrote:When your school "brings in" an athlete it is called a "transfer". However, when your school loses an athlete it is called "recruiting". There is rarely a difference. All recruit- public and private. All are beneficiaries of and victims of recruiting. The main difference is that KHSAA is "selective" in whom it punishes.

:notworthy You got that absolutely correct! It's Either "Who You Know, Who You Are Kin To, or Who You Can Return a Favor To". :Clap:
In the 14th, recruiting and transfers are the same thing.
Recruiting SHOULD NOT GO ON....It does in all sports it hurts the local kids that have worked there buts off to play. But that being said if you are going to compete you have to play the game the way others do. For example many all the schools should have FRESHMAN driving to the games and being coached in eight grade for 2 or 3 years.
If you live in a glass house don't throw stones...