Poll: Who wins ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
77.22%
Pike Central
22.78%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Pike Central 10/21/11
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The other thing I will add is Pike Central's chances of winning increase vastly if they can get up early. A touchdown won't cut it, but a couple early scores and the entire complexion of this game changes much like two years ago when they nearly knocked the Pirates off. Down a TD with a full game ahead is easily able to be overcame by Belfry, but 2 TD's might hasten Belfry's step a bit and cause them to press or deviate from their gameplan.

The blueprint to ebat Belfry is actually quite simple:
- Force them into 3rd and Long
- Create a couple turnovers that you capitalize on
- Show balance on offense
- Be patient, make their time consuming offense work against them instead of for them

The problem is there are a lot of steps between point A and Point B to be able to do these things successfully.

When Coach Haywood gets up by two or three touchdowns, he starts throwing the ball around. Wouldn't be surprised if he got up 14, just enough to have the boys keeping forward and threw it to Howie Dotson. Seems like he does that alot. Gets himself a rushing touchdown or two, and then throws the ball around and creates a blowout.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The other thing I will add is Pike Central's chances of winning increase vastly if they can get up early. A touchdown won't cut it, but a couple early scores and the entire complexion of this game changes much like two years ago when they nearly knocked the Pirates off. Down a TD with a full game ahead is easily able to be overcame by Belfry, but 2 TD's might hasten Belfry's step a bit and cause them to press or deviate from their gameplan.

The blueprint to ebat Belfry is actually quite simple:
- Force them into 3rd and Long
- Create a couple turnovers that you capitalize on
- Show balance on offense
- Be patient, make their time consuming offense work against them instead of for them

The problem is there are a lot of steps between point A and Point B to be able to do these things successfully.

what was it, in 06 Belfry at Russell down 20-0 at half, they just keep to there plan and had game won if it wasnt for the flag,i dont think these guys would get rattled much,hope not anyway..
PC by a touchdown
I think it will be a very rowdy game.
PC looks very strong this year.
Let's Go Hawks!!
Hope it's an injury free game.
I have seen Belfry, Rockcastle County, Perry County Central, and Pike Central play, and I would rate their strength thusly: Belfry, Rockcastle, Pike Central, and then Perry County Central.

Therefore, I believe that Belfry will prevail Friday night. But as someone mentioned on this venue the other day, "any given Friday night." So we'll have to wait and see how it happens this Friday night.
cuppett777 Wrote:what was it, in 06 Belfry at Russell down 20-0 at half, they just keep to there plan and had game won if it wasnt for the flag,i dont think these guys would get rattled much,hope not anyway..

It was in 2005...even then Belfry deviated a bit from their normal gameplan as they threw several passes to the TE Chapman. Belfry also had Matt Maynard who was a big play threat on the outside every time he touched it. I think Belfry is better suited to pass then that team, but at the same time they don't have that homerun threat that Maynard served as who could explode on any given play. Johnson, Robinson, and Dixon have big play capability, but none of them at this point in their careers have the play making ability on the outside like Maynard had.

The irony of that game was that Belfry's passing with Chapman was what got them back in the game, but on the final interception Russell's Kasey Clark baited the throw once again and picked it off.

I wish Belfry would establish Messer more in the Chapman role though. Howie Dotson is a different player this year and has became a legitimate weapon at SE, but if Belfry could have a second weapon at TE that defenses have to respect it makes them all the more tougher to stop.
This game is real simple IMO...Can PCC consistently stop Belfry...If they can, they have a chance...If they cannot then it is gonna be a long night for the Hawks...PCC's offense will not win this game...It is their defense that gives them their only chance...4 quarters of smash mouth at them and I just don't think their run defense will slow Belfry down.
bucslover68 Wrote:This game is real simple IMO...Can PCC consistently stop Belfry...If they can, they have a chance...If they cannot then it is gonna be a long night for the Hawks...PCC's offense will not win this game...It is their defense that gives them their only chance...4 quarters of smash mouth at them and I just don't think their run defense will slow Belfry down.

I agree 100% with what you have said.
Messer is a threat when they use him PCC beter look out
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It was in 2005...even then Belfry deviated a bit from their normal gameplan as they threw several passes to the TE Chapman. Belfry also had Matt Maynard who was a big play threat on the outside every time he touched it. I think Belfry is better suited to pass then that team, but at the same time they don't have that homerun threat that Maynard served as who could explode on any given play. Johnson, Robinson, and Dixon have big play capability, but none of them at this point in their careers have the play making ability on the outside like Maynard had.

The irony of that game was that Belfry's passing with Chapman was what got them back in the game, but on the final interception Russell's Kasey Clark baited the throw once again and picked it off.

I wish Belfry would establish Messer more in the Chapman role though. Howie Dotson is a different player this year and has became a legitimate weapon at SE, but if Belfry could have a second weapon at TE that defenses have to respect it makes them all the more tougher to stop.

It was a great game, Belfry was a butt twitch away from another trip to state. Matt Maynard was IMO one of better athletes to come out of Belfry, his speed was amazing. Watching him run down the Russel player and catching him from behind and knocking the ball out into the endzone has always been a personal highlight. Great athlete.
If belfry plays belfry football than this game will be over quick.If not than they are in for a fight but i know belfry has faced much better teams this year than pcc.Not saying pcc is a joke just saying belfry has way to many weapons this year and this game should be a walk in the park if they play without mistakes and turnovers.I think they will and im going to say belfry wins by 20pts.

GO BIG RED!
I missed the Lawrence Co. game, but did review the excellent updates as given by EKU on here. Sounded like Belfry threw the football very successfully.

However, did they continue to do what they usually do - which is belly fake and go deep? I LOVE the killer instinct of Haywood to go deep off play action, but I have and continue to think 3rd down and 6-9 yard plays need to be FOCUSED. Have to have played for 2nd and 3rd and moderate to long against teams that are playing TUFF against the run.

I doubt Pike Central will take advantage of that area, but it could come into play. Need plays that get 8-10 yards and don't require deep drops/long routes.

IMO of course Smile
Belfry wins
Belfry in this one. I love seeing them play my team (central) in WKU. No matter what year, they always do a heck of a job of finding there way back to The big game.
^ Thanks for the respect Louisville. As a Belfry fan, Central is an AWESOME program. Clearly the team to beat, and I just hope Belfry can get there and give em a run.
And just as a follow up... I watched a bit of the Central/Western game on Ihigh. I didnt get to watch it all, and I hope to when time permits. But I did get a look at Centrals D-line and they seem ALOT smaller than last year. They had speed like CRAZY, but not the size of Pate and those guys.

Belfry has a pretty solid o-line this season. IMO better than last. And more talent overall, especially as in terms of depth of the backfield and the entire defense.

Premature to even debate it, but last year Belfry didn't EVEN have size to their advantage. I think this year they MIGHT.

Again, super props to Louisville Central.. Great program. I could honestly see Scroggins getting an assistant job at UK or UofL with what he has done there.
^^ Thanks for the respect paytoplay. I love seeing our two programs play at the end of the year. Yeah, our D-Line is alot smaller this season, Pate went on to Kentucky Wesleyan I believe, but we have two very good linebackers that are sophmores. haywood is a legend among coaches everywhere and we love playing a team with such a deep history and class as you guys! It will be a hard road to get there this year though for us with Paducah and Bell County but hopefully we can continue our Lakers Celtics belfry vs central championship 3A Game!
^^I watched the Central/StX game on Wazoo...Central outplayed X and should have won IMO...anyways bad news for the rest of 3A. Central a coulple touchdowns better than the rest...again IMO.
Hey Jet.. Your a Panther fan right? Would you at least agree that this years Belfry team is better than last, and has better personel to take on Central?

I think everyone who has ANY sense of credibitily would agree that Central is awesome. I just think Belfry this year, is better equipped to give it a good shot than they were last.

Fair?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It was in 2005...even then Belfry deviated a bit from their normal gameplan as they threw several passes to the TE Chapman. Belfry also had Matt Maynard who was a big play threat on the outside every time he touched it. I think Belfry is better suited to pass then that team, but at the same time they don't have that homerun threat that Maynard served as who could explode on any given play. Johnson, Robinson, and Dixon have big play capability, but none of them at this point in their careers have the play making ability on the outside like Maynard had.

should know it was 05 i was there about froze to death, and your right myself, and bucslover been saying that about Tony.
Crossbones Wrote:It was a great game, Belfry was a butt twitch away from another trip to state. Matt Maynard was IMO one of better athletes to come out of Belfry, his speed was amazing. Watching him run down the Russel player and catching him from behind and knocking the ball out into the endzone has always been a personal highlight. Great athlete.

i was thinking if he scored i was going home,lol,glad he didnt give up on that play..
Belfry-49
Pike Central-28

Belfry continues to roll.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Hey Jet.. Your a Panther fan right? Would you at least agree that this years Belfry team is better than last, and has better personel to take on Central?

I think everyone who has ANY sense of credibitily would agree that Central is awesome. I just think Belfry this year, is better equipped to give it a good shot than they were last.

Fair?

Sure Belfry can play with Central. Probably can beat them on a great day. But Central wins 8/10 against the best 3A teams IMO. I would give Belfry a puncher's chance. But Belfry is by no means a lock to get that far. Eastern half of 3A is loaded! Again all IMhumbleO...
I like being the under dog. Pike Central by 10. This a Belfry site ?
jetpilot Wrote:Sure Belfry can play with Central. Probably can beat them on a great day. But Central wins 8/10 against the best 3A teams IMO. I would give Belfry a puncher's chance. But Belfry is by no means a lock to get that far. Eastern half of 3A is loaded! Again all IMhumbleO...

I agree with this assessment. IMO, Central would be a 10-14 point favorite even to Bell County, who IMO is the clear cut #2 3A team with their resume at this point,

I view Belfry vs. Central, much like this very game we are discussing. Could Belfry pull the upset? Yes, if they execute perfectly and the favorite team doesn't bring their "A" game it could happen. It's the same as with Belfry vs. PC... if the Pirates make mental errors and PC plays to their full potential I could see the Hawks pulling the upset. If both teams bring their A games, the favorite Pirates get the win.
jetpilot Wrote:Sure Belfry can play with Central. Probably can beat them on a great day. But Central wins 8/10 against the best 3A teams IMO. I would give Belfry a puncher's chance. But Belfry is by no means a lock to get that far. Eastern half of 3A is loaded! Again all IMhumbleO...

I really don't know anyone besides Breathitt in the East that is that good. I think the kind of offense Belfry runs is well suited against Central IF they don't turn the ball over. If anyone can pull it, it has to be a team coached by Coach Haywood. The man lives in the film room, if you drive by BHS on most given nights, his truck sits outside the athletic complex. I'd imagine he's watched Central more than once, trying to figure out how to beat them. There's not many teams he's never beat, and there's a reason for that. Lol.
Crossbones Wrote:It was a great game, Belfry was a butt twitch away from another trip to state. Matt Maynard was IMO one of better athletes to come out of Belfry, his speed was amazing. Watching him run down the Russel player and catching him from behind and knocking the ball out into the endzone has always been a personal highlight. Great athlete.

I thought he took the ball from him. Either way, that was one of the best plays I've ever seen in a high school football game.
Have seen both play, and in MO Belfry is just too strong for the Hawks. Anything, however, can happen, but I'll go with Belfry by a couple tds.'
i know this is off topic,but if Tilman makes it to semis this year,it would be played at there place right?hope so i will go scout that one..
My understanding...If the two teams are equal in seeds...then the game will be played at the odd number district, due to the year being odd number year 2011...
Belfry 34-12.