Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville's Rick Pitino responds to John Calipari's Kentucky taunt
I like Pitino, he is one of the most respected coaches in the country because he did such amazing things for UK, i mean thats what hes really know for, right? but he left behind what could have been the best ALL AROUND college basketball program in basketball history for a chance at glory in the NBA which turned into a epic fail, sure uk holds the most wins, ect. but they could be holding the most championships also surpassing ucla by a long shot. But cal is the man now and he is also doing great things for Kentucky and defiantly either leading them to forever unmatched greatness depending on how long he stays and so on... or a horrific downfall of probation that would destroy everything Kentucky now stands for again, but we will never know what goes on behind the scenes... but i support cal as long as hes a wildcat and i know he will be hanging #8 really soonBig Grin
Quote:Exactly. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for what Pitino did in his time at UK. He brought us through our darkest days. But let's be honest, Pitino is just a shell of his former self.

i agree, i respect the guy and all. but he will NEVER win games and be looked at the same like he was at UK. IMO anyway.
I will say that Pitino did great things while at UK. But vundy took the words right out of my mouth. He now coaches for UofL, SCREW THAT GUY! (metaphorically speaking).. Cal has accomplished so much - what really burns me up is that there is some true die hard blue fans that are getting irritated with the fact that Cal hasn't brung back a national championship to this great state yet and I don't get it.. He is on pace to do so (like BC4L mentioned) to do that possibly this year. And as long as we have Cal I do think we have a legit shot in bringing home the title. IMO - UK fans should be very happy with the final 4 season we had last year. There was a lot of people counting the Cats out early in the tourney. I myself, was not one of those people. We had games we could not win on the road to horrible teams - but when it was crunch time, Knight, Jones, Miller, and of course Jorts stepped their game up and got us to the final 4 - where we lost to the national champions. That in itself is a BIG step for us just being in the final 4 again. We will be champs again while Cal is at UK - Mark that one down.

And as for Pitino and Cal - I love the rivalry and this just sends more gas to the flame. This years UK team will be more solid and rounded out then any team we have add before while Cal has been at UK. We where missing one thing when we lost to the Mountaineers - and that was 3 point shooting. We have that, we have size and depth now. UK will stun schools this year at a record setting pace. Louisville is a big game - but I see it being a blowout.
^ I'm not sure there are too many people saying anything about CAL not winning a title????
Cal will get his tittle, the question is, what will he do after he finally wins one? will he stay for more? or will he go?
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:I like Pitino, he is one of the most respected coaches in the country because he did such amazing things for UK, i mean thats what hes really know for, right? but he left behind what could have been the best ALL AROUND college basketball program in basketball history for a chance at glory in the NBA which turned into a epic fail, sure uk holds the most wins, ect. but they could be holding the most championships also surpassing ucla by a long shot. But cal is the man now and he is also doing great things for Kentucky and defiantly either leading them to forever unmatched greatness depending on how long he stays and so on... or a horrific downfall of probation that would destroy everything Kentucky now stands for again, but we will never know what goes on behind the scenes... but i support cal as long as hes a wildcat and i know he will be hanging #8 really soonBig Grin

Not to harp on just you but, ever since Pitino left UK going all the way back to the Teflon Turd (Tubby Smith) all the UK faithful has said we'll win it all next year....Well when the hell is next year coming??????
^UL last title was in the 80's wasn't it? And wasn't it with Denny Crum?

I don't think many UK fans realize it, but I am one that does, but a national championship is not a gimme. 13 years without a title feels like 13 years without seeing your children to UK fans. The time will come that UK hangs #8, but it is because of what the program is, the players that are coming and the dedication by personnel.

For all the Ricky P did at UK, he left with 1 title, just like Joe B Hall, just like Tubby Smith. If and/or when Coach Cal gets a title UK fans need to cherish the moment, because no matter how good of a coach or program you are/have they are not easy to get. Just ask Gary Williams, Tubby Smith, Joe B Hall, Rick Pitino, Nolan Richardson, Bill Self, Jim Boehim, etc.....All of those coaches have 1 title. They may have multiple Final 4's but they only have one title.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:^UL last title was in the 80's wasn't it? And wasn't it with Denny Crum?

I don't think many UK fans realize it, but I am one that does, but a national championship is not a gimme. 13 years without a title feels like 13 years without seeing your children to UK fans. The time will come that UK hangs #8, but it is because of what the program is, the players that are coming and the dedication by personnel.

For all the Ricky P did at UK, he left with 1 title, just like Joe B Hall, just like Tubby Smith. If and/or when Coach Cal gets a title UK fans need to cherish the moment, because no matter how good of a coach or program you are/have they are not easy to get. Just ask Gary Williams, Tubby Smith, Joe B Hall, Rick Pitino, Nolan Richardson, Bill Self, Jim Boehim, etc.....All of those coaches have 1 title. They may have multiple Final 4's but they only have one title.

If only everyone was a realist!
I don't give a flying squirrel about Rick Pinto and his bind over and let me show you my lit'l smokies feelings, Karen. To hell with him and Loserville.
Quote:Not to harp on just you but, ever since Pitino left UK going all the way back to the Teflon Turd (Tubby Smith) all the UK faithful has said we'll win it all next year....Well when the hell is next year coming??????

I see what your saying, and you do have a good point. but all we're doing is staying true to our team.
It has been 13 long ass years after ole tubby, then we get Gillespie who lead them to a NIT appearance in his last year as head coach & ever since JCal came to town UK keeps getting closer and closer its like a pattern if you really think about it and its obvious, 1st year elite8 elimination, 2nd year final four elimination (which to many people UK shouldn't have even made it past the second round), 3rd year ???:1: who knows.
but i have a lot of confidence in this team this year, more then i have Cals other teams, and im aware that they have to go through the likes of UNC, Duke, Ohio State, UConn, and Kansas. Those are the only guys stopping them IMO UNC is the major threat but Kentucky is on another level this year and are an all around better club then all of those teams & if they don't win it all in 2012 then i will be extremely heartbroken..
Pitino is butt hurt cause he knows what Cal said to be true. If what Cal said wasn't true then why does Pitino, at every chance, say he left Camelot and it was a mistake? UK is the Commonwealth's team and always has been. It is called Big Blue Nation for a reason.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“This is a great tradition that we have to live up to. It feels good that we were able to do this for Kentucky.” Brandon Knight

“it was a tough one, but we’re the real blue.” Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

"This is MY state!" Anthony Davis
Rick Pitino is just mad because Calipari is coaching where he regrets leaving.
Stardust Wrote:^ This was the same classless act that Calipari did in the mid 90's before the 1st UK/UMass game. Calipari's thugs got the win in that game, but Pitino kicked his ass (outcoached him) in the Final Four in '96 to win the championship! Cal better leave the UK Coaching legend Pitino alone!

Typical post from a Cal basher. Cal's thugs won him the game but pitinos coaching ability won the second. Or maybe pitinos team just was better and Cal outcoached him the first time? What? Wait? That's not possible is it!
I love it on both sides. They probably called and laughed about how the media goes crazy with this.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I love it on both sides. They probably called and laughed about how the media goes crazy with this.

Absolutely not! Matt Jones talked for 20 minutes about the genuine hate these two have for each other dating back to when Pitino was at UK!
I love Cal to death, but there is no denying what Pitino did for Kentucky in the 90's, way before he was "Louisville's coach."

Tonight looks like Calipari took another jab at Rick by leaving him out of the coaching legends of UK past. A list that included Tubby Smith. I would pick Calipari any day of the week over Pitino now in time, but the man deserves his credit for what he did at Kentucky.
Say what you will, but Rick Pitino would have won the national championship the last two seasons with Cal's teams..Rick is on another level when it comes to coaching. Rick made a mistake (leaving UK) that he regrets to this very day, and that mistake costs him crucial, championship recruits. Recruits that Cal gets, and wins 30 games with but no titles. I dont dislike Cal at all, but between the two of them, I'd take Rick to coach my team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pitino can get his panties in a bunch all he wants, but what Calipari said at the press conference was the gospel truth. UK is the commonwealth's team.

Kentucky has a death grip on this state, as the saying goes, from Pikeville to Paducah. Little boys in this state don't grow up wanting to play for the Cards, unless they grow up in Louisville (maybe).

If you painted the state red or blue based on their team allegiance, you would have a state almost covered in blue, with a little dot of red in the northwest corner.

Even the names of the schools themselves tell you who they represent. U of L represents the city of Louisville, while UK represents the entire state of Kentucky.

In the end, Kentucky will always the flagship university for this state, and Louisville will always be Little Brother. Cal said nothing that wasn't already obvious to anyone who lives in this state.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vundy33 Wrote:lol, I know man..but that first post just reeks of a Louisville fan, a 40 of King Cobra, and Curve...ugh.

I love Cal, so I try to have his back as much as I do our players whenever we have haters on premises. To bad this hater owns the premises though, lolol.
:lmao: That first part was freakin hilarious, bro..good stuff..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:^UL last title was in the 80's wasn't it? And wasn't it with Denny Crum?

UL won the '80 title over UCLA and defeated Duke 72-69 in one of the best college basketball games Ive ever watched in 1986.

Great info on the second part of your post too. It was cool that you mentioned my boy Nolan Richardson. Im a diehard Hogs fan, and I loved Strollin' Nolan. Nolan should have had two or three more titles, and the Hogs were awfully close several times in the late 80s through the mid part of the 90s. I know UK fans are excited for this season, but I cant wait to see how much better my Hogs are with Mike Anderson!! Gonna be fun!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Say what you will, but Rick Pitino would have won the national championship the last two seasons with Cal's teams..Rick is on another level when it comes to coaching. Rick made a mistake (leaving UK) that he regrets to this very day, and that mistake costs him crucial, championship recruits. Recruits that Cal gets, and wins 30 games with but no titles. I dont dislike Cal at all, but between the two of them, I'd take Rick to coach my team.

Very well said. I had similar sentiments for the past few years, but get burned at the stake for saying them:biggrin:
I disagree. I'd rather have Cal coaching my team. Rick stabbed us in the back, I'd never want him back here, ever. I'd rather lose.
ah no one really cares about Ole' slick Rick
Does anyone else beside me remember when Pitino, while the coach at UK, said that Louisville would always be the "little brother" to UK? Why, then, should he be upset? Cal just basically said the same thing Pitino did years ago.
lol, yeah, that's true. I think this kind of back and forth stuff is great for the rivalry. Just makes it more fun for both sides...until we beat them, of course.
I hope to see our home win streak stay intact.
That means beating UNC and Lville at home, which means, number 1.
40-0
Is it just me or does this years teams seem like a team full of shooters?
The one thing weve lacked in the past two seasons was the ability to shoot the ball and hit the 3 with more than 1 player.
I think we might be a 100 points a game team with the shooters we have on this team.
I'd rather not go 40-0...that means more pressure on us come tourney time. I do want to see us keep our home winning streak up though. And yeah, it's like this team has everything.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Is it just me or does this years teams seem like a team full of shooters?
The one thing weve lacked in the past two seasons was the ability to shoot the ball and hit the 3 with more than 1 player.
I think we might be a 100 points a game team with the shooters we have on this team.

It should be the best shooting team of the last three years
vundy33 Wrote:I'd rather not go 40-0...that means more pressure on us come tourney time. I do want to see us keep our home winning streak up though. And yeah, it's like this team has everything.
Nah man, this teams wanting to make history!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I hope to see our home win streak stay intact.
That means beating UNC and Lville at home, which means, number 1.
40-0

Are you a believer in the 40-0 Aslan theory?!