Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley County 27 Somerset 21
Final
glad to see whitley comeing around..finally getting there act together. excellent win for them....im pretty confident thinking they will get second in there district now.
Congrats to WC. Sounded like an exciting game.
Congrats Whitley.
Good win Whitley.

The PC/WC matchup next week will be a dandy.
Good job Whitley.
Congratulate Whitley all you want but this game was C.H.E.A.T.I.N.G. 3 touchdowns called back for Somerset. Those refs werent going to let Somerset score for anything.
Is there another thread for this game
Stardust Wrote:Is there another thread for this game
Yes
Congrats Whitley Co.!
Nice to see they're finally coming around. Great win for the Colonels! :rockon:
wow, im impressed. congrats whitley county...
Congrads whitley
Good win Whitley. Somerset struggling a bit but nothing to really sweat about as district play comes up next.
Congrats WC
Who was the woman out on the field yelling at the umps and the boys from somerset when #44 was down? Is she a trainer or a mom?
Kanter's Enis Wrote:Congratulate Whitley all you want but this game was C.H.E.A.T.I.N.G. 3 touchdowns called back for Somerset. Those refs werent going to let Somerset score for anything.
Wow!! I don't know what game you watched?

I lost a lot of respect tonight for a Somerset program I thought represented the area well.
We had one player hurt because a Somerset defender dove head first hitting (helmet to helmet) a Whitley player laying on the ground (the Whitley player wasn't even the ball carrier). Then the refs called a 15 yard personal foul on the coach for trying to get the refs to defend his player. That penalty was the first thing to stop Whitley's offense.

The whole 1st half Somerset was trying to hurt Bryant. On one of the (2tds is all I remember) that got called back, a Somerset player tried to take a cheap shot on Bryant and missed, as soon as bryant tried to run toward the ball another Somerset player dove and hit bryant in the back of the knee trying to hurt him.

That was one of the most disgraceful plays I've ever seen a team try to make. That is what cost you one touchdown. The other td I remember being called back was an obvious hold on a sweep at the end of the game.

Just to be honest I think Somerset got lucky in this game. There should have been two players ejected from the game and sitting out the next two.
Kanter's Enis Wrote:Congratulate Whitley all you want but this game was C.H.E.A.T.I.N.G. 3 touchdowns called back for Somerset. Those refs werent going to let Somerset score for anything.

Cheating? Somerset is the dirtest team I have seen in a long time, very disapointed with Coach Lucas, his players were trying the whole game to take 44(Bryant) out of the game with one chop block from behind, 30 yards away from the ball, that player should have been ejected on the spot. They put out #14 with a spear that was after the whistle. I know Coach Cobb would not of went for that style of play. Lost a lot of respect for Coach Lucas and the Somerset Program.
Did the refs fumble inside the 2 yard line in the first half or have the ball at the Whiltey County 1 yard line late and not score? Come on! Somerset had its chances to win this game. VERY bush league for a team the caliber of Somerset to stoop to the level of blaming refs for a loss. Remember, this games means nothing once district games start. Somerset will be just fine.
Fooseball Devil Wrote:Cheating? Somerset is the dirtest team I have seen in a long time, very disapointed with Coach Lucas, his players were trying the whole game to take 44(Bryant) out of the game with one chop block from behind, 30 yards away from the ball, that player should have been ejected on the spot. They put out #14 with a spear that was after the whistle. I know Coach Cobb would not of went for that style of play. Lost a lot of respect for Coach Lucas and the Somerset Program.
Amen, I agree with you completely. Whitley plays a lot of physical teams who will smack you in the mouth. But it was absolutely disgraceful the way this Somerset team played.
I anticipated this win for WC. I just felt like this was going to be tough matchup for the Jumpers.

Congrats Colonels.
Now i'm really, really worried. Congrats to Whitley.
I wouldn't call it cheating. Somerset shot themselves in the foot a couple times. They didn't play dirty. It was a physical game and there could of been more calls on both teams.

Lose respect for us? Who cares really? Is that really going to hurt the program? Probably not. This game is over and on to the next. Somerset has some work to do.....
Fooseball Devil Wrote:Cheating? Somerset is the dirtest team I have seen in a long time, very disapointed with Coach Lucas, his players were trying the whole game to take 44(Bryant) out of the game with one chop block from behind, 30 yards away from the ball, that player should have been ejected on the spot. They put out #14 with a spear that was after the whistle. I know Coach Cobb would not of went for that style of play. Lost a lot of respect for Coach Lucas and the Somerset Program.

Go back and watch the film on the play where Bryant was hit in the back. You will see that he threw a punch and the Somerset player retaliated. They both should have been flagged and /or tossed. It wasn't just Somerset.

That being said Whitley played a very good game and had a great drive at the end. However it should have been for the potential tie, not the win. Somerset scored twice on their last offensive drive and had them both called back. One was borderline, the other flag was thrown after the Somerset ball carrier was in the end zone and it actually looked like the 2 Colonels ran into each other.

Somerset played most of the game without three of their starting linebackers due to injury and Whitley was able to take advantage of that and control the clock. The real season starts next Friday against Danville. Time to get back to work.
What a drive to end the game. A fourth down reverse for the first down with the QB leading the way for the ball carrier, its called team football. 44 can play for anyone around this area and would be a start too.

For Whitley it came down to all or nothing, and Whitley just wanted it more than Somerset did, a powerful run into the endzone.

I too was disappointed in the cheap play of Somerset, late hits whining by the coaches, yes Whitley;s coach got a flag but who wouldn't stood up for his players in that situation. Through it all Whitley maintained their composure and played tough hard nosed football.
Forever Maroon Wrote:Did the refs fumble inside the 2 yard line in the first half or have the ball at the Whiltey County 1 yard line late and not score? Come on! Somerset had its chances to win this game. VERY bush league for a team the caliber of Somerset to stoop to the level of blaming refs for a loss. Remember, this games means nothing once district games start. Somerset will be just fine.

The fumble in the first half was all on Somerset. As far as having the ball on the one late and not scoring, the refs did have a lot to do with that. Somerset scored twice after having it first and goal and had both of them called back. I didn't have a good enough angle on the first call but it looked like it could have went either way. The second flag was very late and was a very poor call. That would have forced Whitley to score and get a 2 point conversation to tie instead of score to win. Somerset still could have won it they'd have gotten a stop on the final drive. The refs didn't cost Somerset the game but they made it very difficult to win.
I'm really glad for the Whitley County program. Congrats boys!
Congrats WC!

You have to make a new account to make that statement?
People make me laugh when they say a ref calls back a TD on purpose, I mean its not like they cross the goal line after a long run THEN the ref throws a flag way back at the line. They throw what they see, and its usually BECAUSE of the penalty that allows the ball to be carried for a huge gain.

Anyway, I said in the other thread I saw this coming. Somerset in the 2 weeks I saw them did not look like a great football team that everyone was making them out to be early in the season. I am surprised to hear about the accusations of them being dirty as they were nothing but good sportsmen when I saw them.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Go back and watch the film on the play where Bryant was hit in the back. You will see that he threw a punch and the Somerset player retaliated. They both should have been flagged and /or tossed. It wasn't just Somerset.

That being said Whitley played a very good game and had a great drive at the end. However it should have been for the potential tie, not the win. Somerset scored twice on their last offensive drive and had them both called back. One was borderline, the other flag was thrown after the Somerset ball carrier was in the end zone and it actually looked like the 2 Colonels ran into each other.

Somerset played most of the game without three of their starting linebackers due to injury and Whitley was able to take advantage of that and control the clock. The real season starts next Friday against Danville. Time to get back to work.

You should really go back and watch the film Bryant did not throw a punch on that play and it wasn't just a block in the back. The Somerset kid dove straight at the back of Bryant's knee.

I'm also curious if you think it was questionable when the Somerset player speared our player and they called a penalty on our coach.

I was shocked to see what should have been a proud, respectable program like Somerset resort to trying on many occasions to intentionally hurt bryant. I don't know how you could hold your head up or defend your team after such disgraceful tactics.