Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Head Coach (UK)
Aslan Wrote:We can't grade UK football the way we do our basketball team. Before he got here, we was awful. After he left, he made 4 straight bowls. I was very pleased with the progress he made. Now Joker needs to continue on that success. Can he do it? I don't know. But we need to give him some time before we make a judgment on him. I'll give you this, he's definitely failed so far, but UK needs to give him a legit chance before they let him go.

And the Bolded is the biggest problem this program has. People expect someone like john calipari to come and recruit like that is football. It wont happen. Calipari doesnt have to worry about whether a kid is smart because all they have to do is go 1 semester and pass that is it. He can take a bunch of idiots that can only do one thing and keep them for one year then do it all over again. You cannot do that in football. It takes years and years to build the depth needed to win in the SEC. Our fans have to realise that and be patient. It has taken steve spurrier this long to get south carolina to where it is and SC has all the advantages in the world over UK. A good football state. A University that loves football. Great facilities, great fans, and A program that despite never having any real success thinks of itsself as a football program. We have none of those things. No coach could do what these people want. Short of a resurected bear bryant.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:And the Bolded is the biggest problem this program has. People expect someone like john calipari to come and recruit like that is football. It wont happen. Calipari doesnt have to worry about whether a kid is smart because all they have to do is go 1 semester and pass that is it. He can take a bunch of idiots that can only do one thing and keep them for one year then do it all over again. You cannot do that in football. It takes years and years to build the depth needed to win in the SEC. Our fans have to realise that and be patient. It has taken steve spurrier this long to get south carolina to where it is and SC has all the advantages in the world over UK. A good football state. A University that loves football. Great facilities, great fans, and A program that despite never having any real success thinks of itsself as a football program. We have none of those things. No coach could do what these people want. Short of a resurected bear bryant.
I agree its hard to recruit in Football like Cal does in Basketball at UK. I think the UK football job is really a great job for a the right coach. UK has great football fans that are just hungry to have a team thats near the top of the SEC. The Facilities for football at UK are really pretty good. It is not possible in this day and age for UK to be a "Power" type football team that runs the ball down people throats. UK has to be a QB based Program. They have to be a program that throws to set up the run. Hal Mumme's teams could put points on the broads but were terrible in every other aspect of the game. Not only were they bad on D but there special teams were just aweful. I love UK football and I will always support them but I don't think JOKER is a good coach. I don't think he will ever be successful at UK. First of all he is very arrogant, firing Jimmy Heggins who was BOBBY BOWDEN'S line coach is proof of that. Secondly I don't think he has a proven system, he is trying to build his own system and win at the same time which is something that is hard to do even in the HS ranks. Last season Joker was handed a team with COBB and LOCK and he was in the perfect spot to develope a young QB , he had 2 young 4 star QB's on his team and look at what he done, he went with a avarage SR QB and ended up running off MOSS. Has anyone been paying attention to what the OLD Coach down at TEXAS is doing this year?? He disposed of a QB that couldn't win when the pressure was on in favor of playing two younger QB's! Suddenly Texas is setting pretty and both young QB's are happy and the future is bright because one or both may develope into something Great. Compare that to the spot Joker is in, he has JR QB that is still learning the system and a freshmen backup. Add the green WRs to this mess and you get a team that has looked like UK has so far this year. Another thing I don't understand is when he brought Minter in to Coach the D he never axed Steve Brown. Now UK has CO Defensive coordinators which has trouble wrote all over it. You can be sure that there are players still in Brown cornor and when Minters D gets embrassed look for the finger pointing to start. From the way UK football has operated in the past look for Minter to be the next coach at UK. Sadly he can't win in the SEC either. As a UK fan all I can hope for is Barnfart to retire or move on to greener pastors if not UK football will suck for 7 or 8 more years!
Aslan Wrote:Lets be patient with Joker guys. Sure this year looks lost and a bowl game is not likely. But remember Brooks first few years coaching? Some bad teams that really wasn't close to being bowl eligible. I'll be the first to admit I was one of those guys yelling 'get rid of his ass!', but I was completely wrong, and with time he turned the UK football program around. Joker needs time to implement his system and get his type of players into the program.

What?

Joker has had time to implement his system, because he's been here since Brooks has been here. He was the assitant coach and offensive coordinator. He recruited every player that is currently on this roster, so he's already had time.
Can't fire Joker just because of 1 bad season (IMO Joker should have never got the job but oh well).... Now if Joker doesn't get some better players to UK in the next 2 or 3 years then he'll have to go...

But lets say Joker don't make a bowl game the next 2 years. Heres a list of ppl that I think UK should take a look at... Not really BIG name guys but UK ain't a BIG name football program.... But I'm sure all those coaches would love to coach in SEC..

Kyle Whittingham (Utah)
Ken Niumatalolo (Navy)
June Jones (SMU)
Paul Chryst (Wisconsin Offensive Coordinator)
Dick Bumpas (TCU Defensive Coordinator)
Gus Malzahn (Auburn Offensice Coordinator)
ekff Wrote:Ken Niumatalolo (Navy)
June Jones (SMU)

I really like Gus and Ken. UK fans would LOVE June Jones' system, but we would have to have a great defensive coordinator because his teams do not tend to play D.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I say give Charlie Weis 2nd chance at head coach
honestjchsfan Wrote:Barnfart to retire or move on to greener pastors if not UK football will suck for 7 or 8 more years!

Whether you are a supporter of Barnhart or not, take away the football program and you can't deny the fact that he has improved every sports team at UK. With that being said, having worked at UK for 15+ years now spending 10 of those years in Sports Medicine, it is obvious that the majority of the athletic budget and effort is funneled into the basketball program. Because of this I am not a huge fan of the basketball teams. I have been a UK football fan since I was 10 yrs old and it has been the same MO with every coach. Losses to the same teams, maybe 1 big win each year, mediocre bowl game, etc... It appears to me that they are content with what each year brings. I think that UK could land a big coach but they need to be willing to shell out the money. But I do not think that will happen with the football program being in the shadow of the basketball program and to me it appears to come with the territory. Majority of universities with great basketball teams have middle of the road football teams. For example, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc...
Heck with basketball i wish they lose evry game if it would mean we build a strong football program
ekff Wrote:Can't fire Joker just because of 1 bad season (IMO Joker should have never got the job but oh well).... Now if Joker doesn't get some better players to UK in the next 2 or 3 years then he'll have to go...

But lets say Joker don't make a bowl game the next 2 years. Heres a list of ppl that I think UK should take a look at... Not really BIG name guys but UK ain't a BIG name football program.... But I'm sure all those coaches would love to coach in SEC..

Kyle Whittingham (Utah)
Ken Niumatalolo (Navy)
June Jones (SMU)
Paul Chryst (Wisconsin Offensive Coordinator)
Dick Bumpas (TCU Defensive Coordinator)

Take either in a heartbeat. We can't do that stupid 5 wide spread junk in the sec. Defensive coaches would eat it alive and laugh the whole time. You have to have a good running game to win in this conference that is what Rich Brooks did he built a team not based off of a bullcrap offense but built a team that would run it down your throat and make you stop it. Then we would go to the air and make huge plays off it. Simple but effective.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:What?

Joker has had time to implement his system, because he's been here since Brooks has been here. He was the assitant coach and offensive coordinator. He recruited every player that is currently on this roster, so he's already had time.

Patience young padawan learner.
I want to see Skip Holtz in the Blue and White!
CBW57 Wrote:Mike Leach high octane offense is always great to watch.

Strikeout King Wrote:I would love to have Mike Leach

vundy33 Wrote:Ugh. Nasty.

And you all really think we have the WR and QB power, and hell, the O-line power, for Mike Leach's offense? We can't even give Newton any time. He'll get better at going through his wide-outs, but they're just not good enough. In my opinion..

I'm all for Mike Leach, I can't believe he's not been hired at some other big name school.

vundy, if Mike Leach was the next head coach, you can bet the farm that we would get the WR's and QB for his offense. What top OL, QB and WR wouldn't want to go to UK if he were coach. They would get to play in an offense that would give them a better chance to play at the next level, and they would be playing the BEST conference in the NCAA. We're talkin 4 and 5 star recruits at those positions every year.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Joker and Randy Sanders and the O-Line and Morgan Newton and the whole offensive unit are making it hard to be a Cat fan. I do believe that KY is now officially the worst team in the SEC. That includes Texas A&M and Missouri, if they both come on board. Do I hear a basketball bouncing?
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Take either in a heartbeat. We can't do that stupid 5 wide spread junk in the sec. Defensive coaches would eat it alive and laugh the whole time. You have to have a good running game to win in this conference that is what Rich Brooks did he built a team not based off of a bullcrap offense but built a team that would run it down your throat and make you stop it. Then we would go to the air and make huge plays off it. Simple but effective.
I am not sure what Blue & White team you have been watching but Rich Brooks never had a running back rush for over a 1000 yards in a season Woodson threw for 3709 yards in 2007. Most of the running backs Brooks had were small speed guys like Lock and Little who ran the Draw well or beat the D to the cornor. They had a good running game under Brooks but they never ran it down nobodies throat. They had a well coached O-line that protected the QB well and they used the Pass to set up the Run hence 518 pass attempts in season for Woodson.
honestjchsfan Wrote:I am not sure what Blue & White team you have been watching but Rich Brooks never had a running back rush for over a 1000 yards in a season Woodson threw for 3709 yards in 2007. Most of the running backs Brooks had were small speed guys like Lock and Little who ran the Draw well or beat the D to the cornor. They had a good running game under Brooks but they never ran it down nobodies throat. They had a well coached O-line that protected the QB well and they used the Pass to set up the Run hence 518 pass attempts in season for Woodson.

We never had ONE back go for over a thousand we always had at least a two back rotation.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:We never had ONE back go for over a thousand we always had at least a two back rotation.
You are right about the 2 sometimes 3 back system Brooks used but they were never a power running team IMO. Brooks threw it almost as much as Mumme did and Woodson has the UK single season record for TD passes with 40. The most passes Tim Coach ever attempted in a season was 553, Woodson attempted 518 in 2007.
judgementday Wrote:Whether you are a supporter of Barnhart or not, take away the football program and you can't deny the fact that he has improved every sports team at UK. With that being said, having worked at UK for 15+ years now spending 10 of those years in Sports Medicine, it is obvious that the majority of the athletic budget and effort is funneled into the basketball program. Because of this I am not a huge fan of the basketball teams. I have been a UK football fan since I was 10 yrs old and it has been the same MO with every coach. Losses to the same teams, maybe 1 big win each year, mediocre bowl game, etc... It appears to me that they are content with what each year brings. I think that UK could land a big coach but they need to be willing to shell out the money. But I do not think that will happen with the football program being in the shadow of the basketball program and to me it appears to come with the territory. Majority of universities with great basketball teams have middle of the road football teams. For example, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc...
I am not a Barnhart supporter and noway he has improved every sports team at UK. You can't almost destroy something like he did with mens basketball then fix it and then say "Look what I done for the UK basketball program". I think Barnhart done good hiring Brooks but flubbed it all up when he handed it over to JOKER! One thing that is often over looked is that Andre Woodson was recruited to UK by Hal Mumme. Rich Brooks and Joker P have never brought a QB that has been worth a Crap to UK. So Mumme should get some of the credit for Brooks success at UK. I could see naming Jimmy Heggins the "head Coach in waiting" he had almost 20 years in at one of the top Programs (FSU) were he was part of a staff that won 2 national titles and went to 19 consecutive bowl games. Joker on the other hand beat around from program to program and landed back at UK were he was handed the keys to a SEC program that was on the rise. Why I don't know! I can care less about UK hiring a big name coach but it is sickening to see them hire a guy that is not quailfied.
Redneck Wrote:I'm all for Mike Leach, I can't believe he's not been hired at some other big name school.

vundy, if Mike Leach was the next head coach, you can bet the farm that we would get the WR's and QB for his offense. What top OL, QB and WR wouldn't want to go to UK if he were coach. They would get to play in an offense that would give them a better chance to play at the next level, and they would be playing the BEST conference in the NCAA. We're talkin 4 and 5 star recruits at those positions every year.

4 and 5 star recruits generally want to play in a pro style so they are prepared for pro football.
honestjchsfan Wrote:I am not a Barnhart supporter and noway he has improved every sports team at UK. You can't almost destroy something like he did with mens basketball then fix it and then say "Look what I done for the UK basketball program". I think Barnhart done good hiring Brooks but flubbed it all up when he handed it over to JOKER! One thing that is often over looked is that Andre Woodson was recruited to UK by Hal Mumme. Rich Brooks and Joker P have never brought a QB that has been worth a Crap to UK. So Mumme should get some of the credit for Brooks success at UK. I could see naming Jimmy Heggins the "head Coach in waiting" he had almost 20 years in at one of the top Programs (FSU) were he was part of a staff that won 2 national titles and went to 19 consecutive bowl games. Joker on the other hand beat around from program to program and landed back at UK were he was handed the keys to a SEC program that was on the rise. Why I don't know! I can care less about UK hiring a big name coach but it is sickening to see them hire a guy that is not quailfied.

I disagree, before Barnhart came you didn't hear about UK women's basketball, volleyball, softball, etc... Even UK baseball. Now all of those teams are nationally ranked each year (Baseball has its ups and downs). He jumped the gun hiring Billy G but rectified the situation with Calipari and now UK is once again a top program. Also, it doesn't matter if Mumme brought Woodson here, did you forget that Mumme broke the rules, he deserves no credit. I hate UK football loosing as much as anyone, but Joker still needs to be given more time. He did inherit Brook's team so we will see what his teams will look like but he needs to be given more time than just two years before everyone wants his head.
[quote=RunItUpTheGut]Thats exactly what im getting at.
What in the hell did brooks do?I have never liked any uk coach since ive been alive.

Brooks should have never been hired either.
0 SEC Championships
0 National titles
0 Wins against Fla
0 Wins against Tenn

He pretty much done the same thing as every other uk coach. nothing.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call taking the team to 4 consecutive bowl games nothing. I wouldn't call knocking off #1 LSU nothing. I wouldn't call taking a team that had next to no chance in hell of going to a bowl and putting them in position to go to one every year now nothing. Rich Brooks did what needed to be done, he slowly but surely increased the quality of recruits, got us in position for bowl games, etc.

Joker needs time. I'm NOT a Newton fan, however. He's a decent QB, but I just do not believe he is an SEC level QB. Joker is fighting to get UK football to the next level, and the quality of recruits being brought in is much better, but they won't be game changers overnight. As other posters have noted, we've lost basically 90% of our offense from last year.

I'm baffled by the O-line in a sense, but not really. Look at how much time they were out due to injuries leading up to the season's start. Anyone who knows a lick about the game knows the O line needs a little time together at game speed to get on track again, especially with the responsibilities against SEC Defenses (picking up stunts, blitzes, etc).
PHSForever Wrote:[quote=RunItUpTheGut]Thats exactly what im getting at.
What in the hell did brooks do?I have never liked any uk coach since ive been alive.

0 SEC Championships
0 National titles
0 Wins against Fla
0 Wins against Tenn

I wouldn't call taking the team to 4 consecutive bowl games nothing. I wouldn't call knocking off #1 LSU nothing. I wouldn't call taking a team that had next to no chance in hell of going to a bowl and putting them in position to go to one every year now nothing. Rich Brooks did what needed to be done, he slowly but surely increased the quality of recruits, got us in position for bowl games, etc.

Joker needs time. I'm NOT a Newton fan, however. He's a decent QB, but I just do not believe he is an SEC level QB. Joker is fighting to get UK football to the next level, and the quality of recruits being brought in is much better, but they won't be game changers overnight. As other posters have noted, we've lost basically 90% of our offense from last year.

I'm baffled by the O-line in a sense, but not really. Look at how much time they were out due to injuries leading up to the season's start. Anyone who knows a lick about the game knows the O line needs a little time together at game speed to get on track again, especially with the responsibilities against SEC Defenses (picking up stunts, blitzes, etc).

Not to mention he had them at #2 in the polls when we had College Gameday here...
PHSForever Wrote:[quote=RunItUpTheGut]Thats exactly what im getting at.

0 SEC Championships
0 National titles
0 Wins against Fla
0 Wins against Tenn

How dare you bring knowledge of football into a kentucky football argument. All jokes aside though this is exactly right. We have a man in place that actually gives a shit about this program. That means he is willing to put in the work needed to win. Give him time.
honestjchsfan Wrote:I am not a Barnhart supporter and noway he has improved every sports team at UK. You can't almost destroy something like he did with mens basketball then fix it and then say "Look what I done for the UK basketball program". I think Barnhart done good hiring Brooks but flubbed it all up when he handed it over to JOKER! One thing that is often over looked is that Andre Woodson was recruited to UK by Hal Mumme. Rich Brooks and Joker P have never brought a QB that has been worth a Crap to UK. So Mumme should get some of the credit for Brooks success at UK. I could see naming Jimmy Heggins the "head Coach in waiting" he had almost 20 years in at one of the top Programs (FSU) were he was part of a staff that won 2 national titles and went to 19 consecutive bowl games. Joker on the other hand beat around from program to program and landed back at UK were he was handed the keys to a SEC program that was on the rise. Why I don't know! I can care less about UK hiring a big name coach but it is sickening to see them hire a guy that is not quailfied.
Here's the problem I have with your statement. Joker bouncing around from program to program is typically what MANY assistant coaches do in order to learn different styles from different head coaches. As an example, I'm listing different coaches here:

Urban Meyer:

After playing as a defensive back for the University of Cincinnati, Meyer spent one season interning as a defensive back coach at Saint Xavier High School in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1985 under the mentorship of legendary St. Xavier head coach Steve Rasso, where he met members of the Ohio State coaching staff. His first collegiate coaching position was a two-year stint as a graduate assistant at Ohio State. He then spent the next thirteen years as an assistant—two at Illinois State, six at Colorado State, and five at Notre Dame. In 1990, while still the linebacker coach at Illinois State, he called Toledo head coach Nick Saban to see if a position was available on his staff. Saban, however, never returned the call. In 2001, Meyer took his first head coaching job at Bowling Green. In his first season there, he engineered one of the greatest turnarounds in the NCAA football history, going 8–3 and capping off the season with a 56–21 victory over Bowling Green's rival, the University of Toledo Rockets. He also earned Mid-American Conference coach of the year honors. The next year, Bowling Green finished with a 9–3 record. After a 17–6 overall record, Meyer left for the University of Utah.

Mike Leach:

1987 Cal Poly (assistant)
1988 COD (assistant)
1989 Pori Bears
1989–1991 Iowa Weslyn (OC)
1992–1996 Valdosta State (OC)
1997–1998 Kentucky (OC)
1999 Oklahoma (OC)
2000–2009 Texas Tech (HC)

The point is, you are unfairly comparing Joker's time in other programs to Heggins spending 20 years with one program. It doesn't always work for one coach to be successful one way and anyone to say "That's a surefire way to do it". Different coaches are developed different ways. And MOST coaches pay their dues in different programs, working their way up the ladder. An argument could be made either for Heggins or for Joker in terms of being "qualified" to assume a HC mantle.
dudley hilton to uk!!! lol
ekff Wrote:Kyle Whittingham (Utah)

with how far Utah has come in football, including joining the Pac 12, it would be hard to imagine him leaving for another job like UK. would be a great pick up though
PHSForever Wrote:Here's the problem I have with your statement. Joker bouncing around from program to program is typically what MANY assistant coaches do in order to learn different styles from different head coaches. As an example, I'm listing different coaches here:

Urban Meyer:

After playing as a defensive back for the University of Cincinnati, Meyer spent one season interning as a defensive back coach at Saint Xavier High School in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1985 under the mentorship of legendary St. Xavier head coach Steve Rasso, where he met members of the Ohio State coaching staff. His first collegiate coaching position was a two-year stint as a graduate assistant at Ohio State. He then spent the next thirteen years as an assistant—two at Illinois State, six at Colorado State, and five at Notre Dame. In 1990, while still the linebacker coach at Illinois State, he called Toledo head coach Nick Saban to see if a position was available on his staff. Saban, however, never returned the call. In 2001, Meyer took his first head coaching job at Bowling Green. In his first season there, he engineered one of the greatest turnarounds in the NCAA football history, going 8–3 and capping off the season with a 56–21 victory over Bowling Green's rival, the University of Toledo Rockets. He also earned Mid-American Conference coach of the year honors. The next year, Bowling Green finished with a 9–3 record. After a 17–6 overall record, Meyer left for the University of Utah.

Mike Leach:

1987 Cal Poly (assistant)
1988 COD (assistant)
1989 Pori Bears
1989–1991 Iowa Weslyn (OC)
1992–1996 Valdosta State (OC)
1997–1998 Kentucky (OC)
1999 Oklahoma (OC)
2000–2009 Texas Tech (HC)

The point is, you are unfairly comparing Joker's time in other programs to Heggins spending 20 years with one program. It doesn't always work for one coach to be successful one way and anyone to say "That's a surefire way to do it". Different coaches are developed different ways. And MOST coaches pay their dues in different programs, working their way up the ladder. An argument could be made either for Heggins or for Joker in terms of being "qualified" to assume a HC mantle.
Thank you for helping make my point. Pointing out that Meyer coached in MAC then out west before stepping into big league SEC shows stepping up in class over time is Important. From what you posted it looks like Mike Leach is ready for the SEC too. It also shows that Joker is not! He skipped coaching in the MAC or at a lower leval. You even stated Saban was in the MAC I remember him in Big Ten then he moved to SEC. See how most coachs climb the latter?
Mario Cristobal, current coach of FIU is EXACTLY what the Kentucky program needs!!! If you havent heard of him yet you will very soon and very often!!