•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold Backs
Maybe we are all not looking at the bigger picture here. I mean, if Virgie Middle School wins almost all there games like they have ever sense they started the holding back, won't that help the middle school coaches get the Valley High School job if the coach they have now leaves? I just think the parents and children need to decide if it is the best interest of the kids to have 4 or 5 a year held back. For whatever reasons they can justify holding them back, I just wonder if they would still do it if they had to sit out a year like others have said on here. What about you "BUS" would you be held back if you had to sit out a year?
Hey i told you my mother held me back because she wanted to spend an extra year at home with me
It had nothing to do with athletici play AAU ball with me age gourp not my grade
So bballcrazee thats prove that it wasn't for athletics
It doesn't matter anyways
I was made the all state team last yr at the middle school state tourament as a 7th grader
i would have still made it if i was a 8th grader
"THE BUS" Wrote:I am considered a hold back I am a 14 yr old( turn 15 next month) 8th grader
I am in the top of my class in athletics and academics
I made homecoming which means i am very well liked
I was not held back in middle or elementary school
I started school i yr late because my MOM wanted me to spend a extra at home with her
People complain about my age and how stupid it is for me getting held back
But i see no problem in what my parents did
I was also held back because my dad graduted high school at 17 and felt like a young man shouldn't be on his own at that age
Now let me ask you a question
Is it so wrong what my parents did?

I was just asking if you would let them hold you back if you knew you couldnt play the second year. I never said you was a hold back, I was just asking your opinion.

The second line down in this post. "I am in the top of my class in athletics and academics", are you sure you are in the top of the class in both? Your spelling and grammer is very bad for a top in your class.
I have a 4.0
wow i can't spell good
but did you know that on the cats test that is taking at the end of the yr you get to use a dictionary
I am currently taking Algebra 1( a freshmen class) and have made A+ both 9 weeks
anyways i was a 5 yr old
I didn't let them hold me back i had no cjoise
but i do think it was the best thing for me
So why do you get mad when people don't agree with holding back if you are not a holdback? You said in a earlier post that what people are saying to a 14 year old is sad. If you are not a hold back, then why worry about what people say? You asked if it was good or bad to be held back. 99% said it was bad and you got offended over it.

Do YOU think it is good to hold children back that have good grades just to play a ball game? Also, do you think all the children that Virgie has held back in the last two or three years would allow themselfs to be held back if they had to sit out the second year? Just your opinion, I know you don't know for a fact if they would or not. Remember we are talking about holdbacks in this thread, not starting school a year late. So those two questions are not directed to you being a 15 year old 8th grader. But more as you a person.
I know that
and like i said eairler when i sad i thought it was sad i wasn't talk about what ppl where saying on here
I was talking about in person
when we won a touranment
IMO it took away from the win
your talking about setting bad examples
waht do you think parents that embrass themselves and have to be excourted off
My coach went to tell his son good game and the man came after him
so i have not been offend be anything said on here i like hearing every1 opinion
but if i disagree with thier poinion im going to tell them mine
and that is what this site is for
"rambo" Wrote:i disagree with hold backs if you cant play people your own age you should not play at all
Wow, i have condescended almost every post you have made, but not intentionally.
I disagree with what you said again, hold backs take so much crap from peoople its not even remotely funny. Consider this, a seventh grader holds back a year, the next year everyone gives him trouble over holding back because he's 14 and the rest of the seventh graders in his county or area are 13. This same kid is penalized because he holds back. Now, let's fast forward a few years, the same kid is in his freshman year. the other players on the freshman team are a year younger, but one of them is on the varsity and getting considerable playing time. Kid 1 (the holdback) is not on varsity. Now kid 2 (the "super-star") complained years back about playing kid 1 who was older than him, but now he is playing against 17, 18, and 19 year olds. Why did kid2 have a right to complain about playing against hold backs, when he will eventually be playing against kids older than him anyway if he has any skill at all? Parents and kids have their own reasons for holding back, so what are you going to do about it anyway? Why is it fair to penalize kids who have held back with good reason? Can you answer my questions? The floor is open to all. (By the way, read my quote it makes a strong statement)
All im going to say is
If me being a year older then the kids in my grade gives me a better advantage to get a D-1 Scholarship then I am glad of getting held back not ashamed
PPL may say well if he was playing against kids his own age he wouldn't have got it
but I don't care cause it would be best for me
And i am living my life to do what is best for me not what is best for the other childern
"THE BUS" Wrote:All im going to say is
If me being a year older then the kids in my grade gives me a better advantage to get a D-1 Scholarship then I am glad of getting held back not ashamed
PPL may say well if he was playing against kids his own age he wouldn't have got it
but I don't care cause it would be best for me
And i am living my life to do what is best for me not what is best for the other childern
Did you start school a year later than most, or are you a holdback? they are two totally different things...
Most people responding to this thread are against hold backs in the sixth, seventh, and eighth grades strictly for athletics. It is not a fair practice if it is done to gain a size/experience advantage over the younger kids. If your parents kept you out a year before entering school because they wanted you to be older at graduation, you are NOT a holdback. So what are you arguing for: 1. keep children at home an extra year.
OR
2. hold back in 7th or 8th grade??
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:Most people responding to this thread are against hold backs in the sixth, seventh, and eighth grades strictly for athletics. It is not a fair practice if it is done to gain a size/experience advantage over the younger kids. If your parents kept you out a year before entering school because they wanted you to be older at graduation, you are NOT a holdback. So what are you arguing for: 1. keep children at home an extra year.
OR
2. hold back in 7th or 8th grade??

Good post. That's the message that I've been trying to get across as well.
I think the kids need to have an extra year before the gradute
Now weather it is staying a year later or getting held back in later grades
I think it is better for the child to stay home year but sometimes the parents doesn't realize that they want to hold thier kid back utill it's almost to late
I know some ppl don't agree but i think it is still ok to get held back in 7th or 8th grade
"THE BUS" Wrote:I think the kids need to have an extra year before the gradute
Now weather it is staying a year later or getting held back in later grades
I think it is better for the child to stay home year but sometimes the parents doesn't realize that they want to hold thier kid back utill it's almost to late
I know some ppl don't agree but i think it is still ok to get held back in 7th or 8th grade
If you started school on time, then it was decited that you was going to be held back in lets say the 7th grade. You find out you have to sit out your second year in the 7th grade, would you still go ahead and be held back even if you knew you couldnt play or practice with the team? Would you still be willing to be held back then?
i also agree with stat
Answer those two quesitons up there BUS ^^ One other point to make on the hold backs. The two best players in this area, Landon Slone, and Clark Stepp, neither are hold backs. They are standing out in high school, not just the middle school level. Another name you will be hearing about in a couple years in the high school level will be Clint Stepp. And before you ask, no he isnt a hold back either.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:Answer those two quesitons up there BUS ^^ One other point to make on the hold backs. The two best players in this area, Landon Slone, and Clark Stepp, neither are hold backs. They are standing out in high school, not just the middle school level. Another name you will be hearing about in a couple years in the high school level will be Clint Stepp. And before you ask, no he isnt a hold back either.

Clint Stepp...dont you mean Clark Stepp
"flashback_7" Wrote:Clint Stepp...dont you mean Clark Stepp
Clint is Clark's younger brother.
Hey basketballonlyfan
You know the real star at JBS Tate Cox
He is a double hold back
also clint stepp isn't going to do nothing in high school
sure he can shoot we his hott but thats all
He can't handle the ball real well doesn't play defense
And another football and baseball star that you will be hearing about is Daniel Harmon and he is also a double hold back
And another guy thats a double hold back is John Johnson
He is a decent basketball player but a great football player he has gotten letters form Norte Dame and other big D-1 programs
Every heard of Matt Clevenger he is a hold back
I think i'm not postive put i think Brandon May might be a hold back(not for sure though)
Seth Kiser and Kesley Freind were both double hold backs
But it sounds like what you are saying is that getting held back makes you a worse player whcih there is no way it does
So let's see thats 7or 8 that are good players that have been held back for a year or some time two years and also THE GREAT O>J mayo is not the right age
O.j is a jounior and he really shou;d be a collage freshman
dosn't anyone say anything about that
He got his birth certificate when he was two years old which rly makes him a 19 year old joinor which means that he shouldn't be avle to play his senoir year
THE KING JAMES was a hold back he graduated at 19 not 18 like kids the right age
Policies differ for different counties systems on hold back but actual adhesion to those policies depends upon the school system. For instance Floyd County supposed to have a stringent rule discouraging the hold back of kids. The policy says if you repeat you do not get to play that year. This policy is enforced only in the most severe cir***stances. They have tried to punish the private schools in the past for allowing kids to repeat but when kids from Allen Central, South Floyd and Betsy Layne repeated they were on the rosters during the season and during the tourneys. But that is besides the point.
Parents repeat their kids for several reasons, Kids also decide to repeat for several reasons. It all comes down to the future of the child. I know at least 6 kids who have repeated (all now sophomes at 16 turning 17). Each child repeated or was encouraged to repeat in order to gain emotional and physical maturity. (Not all gain the emotional BTW.) Every parent encouraged it in order to improve their child's chances of gaining a scholarship whether academically or athletically. Two of the kids have express regrets for the repeat because they miss their friends. The other four have used the extra year to grow bodily strong in mental and bodily muscle. Is it right? Your's and mine are just opinions. I give it an okay. But I know there are situations where it has been a mistake.
"THE BUS" Wrote:Hey basketballonlyfan
You know the real star at JBS Tate Cox
He is a double hold back
also clint stepp isn't going to do nothing in high school
sure he can shoot we his hott but thats all
He can't handle the ball real well doesn't play defense
And another football and baseball star that you will be hearing about is Daniel Harmon and he is also a double hold back
And another guy thats a double hold back is John Johnson
He is a decent basketball player but a great football player he has gotten letters form Norte Dame and other big D-1 programs
Every heard of Matt Clevenger he is a hold back
I think i'm not postive put i think Brandon May might be a hold back(not for sure though)
Seth Kiser and Kesley Freind were both double hold backs
But it sounds like what you are saying is that getting held back makes you a worse player whcih there is no way it does
So let's see thats 7or 8 that are good players that have been held back for a year or some time two years and also THE GREAT O>J mayo is not the right age
O.j is a jounior and he really shou;d be a collage freshman
dosn't anyone say anything about that
He got his birth certificate when he was two years old which rly makes him a 19 year old joinor which means that he shouldn't be avle to play his senoir year
THE KING JAMES was a hold back he graduated at 19 not 18 like kids the right age

Let me add a couple more to your list:

Doug Howard of Belfry - Holdback
David Jones of Belfry - Holdback
Paul Howard of Belfry - Holdback
Tyler Bostic of Belfry - Holdback
J.J. Hylton of Belfry - Holdback

I know for a fact there are many I left out, but I am trying to throw out recognizable names.

Also, just to show you how much of a maturity advantage it can be for young men listen to this. Doug Howard was exactly 5'10" tall when he graduated at the age of 19. Now, half a year out of high school he has grown to 5'11 1/4". Now, if you think that isn't a big difference ask Doug the #1 reason he didn't go D-I.
You still never answered the question, if a player had to sit out the second year in the same grade, in your opinion do you think they would be so quick to be held back? For every name you can menton that was held back, another name can be mentioned that was not held back. When exactly did it become popular to be held? When I was in school, parents and the kids were embarassed if they had to repeat a grade.

Your favorite thing of saying is you are a 14 year old. Sorry to break the news to you, but at 14 you dont know what is best or what isnt best. Your parents dont know what is best for you, they are pretty much like every other parent in the world. They have to do what they THINK is best for you. Sometimes parents are right, other times they are wrong.

As far as the real star at JBS, sorry dood, it is Clark at the moment, read threads in here, you here more about Clark than any other player on JBS. With Clint, how do you know with him being a 8th grader what he will play like in 2 or 3 years? How do you know for a fact that you will be a star in two or three years as a matter of fact? Players change, peoples opinion changes on things, for now, it is my opinion that he will be a above average player. Time will tell, I am sorry, I will take my opinion over that of a 14 year old anyday. Oh wait, I forgot, 14 year olds know everything that is best in life.

The hold backs you mentioned, I hope you dont mean Seth Kiser for maturity. Isnt he the one who wants to run up in the stands and fight people who put heckle him? The same one who quit in mid season because things didnt go his way? John Johnson, if he got those letters for football, good luck to him. It didnt help him much in basketball. And getting letters from colleges isnt the same as getting a scholarship offer.
Holding kids back has been going on in Floyd for at least 20-25 years. I did not hold back and it did effect my game at all. I could have been 20 years old as a soph and I still would have scored my mediocre 8 points a game. You have some good views bballonly. Looks like someone missed the Bus:lmao:
I just dont know when it went from kids and parents both where ashamed to have there kids held back a grade to it being expected for them to be at certian schools.

But, players will play. I think if a kid plays against people his own age group or even older than they are, they will be better off in the long run. Playing against kids younger than you are so you can push them around in middle school is one way to step up as a player. But facts are the same, after all players go threw there changes in life which happens around the middle school level, the top players rise to the top and the others just show up. Being held back really doesnt help when you get to the junior and senior level. Let the colleges red shirt players for a year if they need to mature more. Let the high schools just worry more about the education the kids are supposed to be getting.
So you think getting a birth certificate at the age of 2 makes your age incorrect. Sorry, but the birth certificate is registered within days of birth. Some people don't get a copy of their childs birth certificate until they are ready to start school. Date of birth will still be the same, regardless of when you contact Vital Statistics and request your copy.
disagree,it is not fair....1 school did this and they r 1st place every year, it is not right to the other schools who work there butts off and then get beat by a bunch of 16 year olds on a junior high team.
Do the math warrior 45. It is impossible to be 16 in the eighth gade because this would make you 20 years old and ineligible your senior year. :rules: I will accept 15 years old but not 16.
But sometimes players get held back to much and they cant play there senior year. Didnt that happen at BL or AC? I remember people talking about it but I cant remember where it happened at.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:But sometimes players get held back to much and they cant play there senior year. Didnt that happen at BL or AC? I remember people talking about it but I cant remember where it happened at.

Seems like I recall a situation like that.

One I recall was a kid started school late- then got held back in 2nd or 3rd grade. In middle school he was held back again because of major surgery or illness and the amount of school he missed. Not sure what school this happened at, just remember all the talk.
That is something that players and parents need to look at before jumping the gun on the hold backs. If they hold there kids back in the 7th grade, then sometime in high school they get a bad injury or sickness, then they lose a year of high school ball. If they wasnt held back in middle school, then they could still have 4 years of high school to play. What is more importiant into getting into college, your second year of 7th grade, or how you do in 4 years in high school?
i dont think parents should start kids late..for the fact of the matter is that what if they actually need to be retained for academics..and if they do play sports this could make them loose their senior year...
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next