Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands makes a statement...35 - 14
the tale of two halves...

I thought Boyle played really well until after halftime. I was really impressed how they moved the ball, tackled, everything. They must have all drank some moonshine or something in the locker room at the half. Boyle's QB needs to learn to throw it away or get sacked and live to throw again.

on the other hand those birds really figured out what was going on, capitalized, and pulled away.

Towels can throw screen passes now! He is def a complete QB.
his running vision is outstanding, very patient.
AAAA is going to have their hands full stopping him.

as for the refs, i am biased, but i thought there were about 2 or 3 calls that were completely bogus against the birds. There was 1 waived off, and the Boyle fans thought that was bogus. LET EM PLAY FOOTBALL!

Congrats 'Birds....now on to Pike and the Colonels
Boyle could be 1-3 or 0-4 to start the season after the performance they had tonight. Highlands is the real deal but Boyle's play calling was also completely horrible. Why come out of the bone when Highlands hadn't stopped it and you just ran it down their throats. Next observation is Highlands turnovers in the 1st half kept this game from being over before half time. And last observation is Boyle better start having open tryouts for quarterback because that guy just isn't going to get it done.
Just got back from the game. I sat on the Boyle side (visitor side is a joke, can't see the field over the players). All the talking about the refs is funny. The Boyle fans were fine with it until HHS went up 3 scores and then all of a sudden they were the worst refs in the world. I am sure after 30 straight wins, losing is frustrating and they were just over reacting. Like another poster mentioned, I too thought 1-2 personal foul calls were ticky tacky. Someone mentioned HHS looked in midseason form; I thought they looked sloppy first half, and better second but far from midseason form. HHS had way too many penalties and turnovers. On D it looked to me like alot of guys trying to make a hard hit and not wrapping to tackle and gave up alot of extra yards. Kicking game better than expected. The drive by Highlands at end of first half was a thing of beauty! If the O can move like that consistently, they will put alot of teams away in first half. Boyle's top player (Hester) looked out of shape. The Boyle fans near me were also saying this and said he needs to get in shape so he can play both ways more. Boyle had some success running the ball, but passing game was unimpressive. I honestly feel if they meet again, that HHS wins by 4 TD's, unless Boyle has a tremendous improvement.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:ihigh game announcers said Boyle was basically robbed of momentum by the officials. They said "what comes around goes around in November." Said Highlands wasn't called for alot of penalties and played some dirty football.....I thought it was classy of Dales Birds to take a knee. Bird turnovers and penalties at inopportune times potentially cost them a couple more scores......I thought it was a hard fought game by the kids on both sides and didn't see alot of what the announcers claimed was terrible officiating.

These are the stats that I found laying around another site.:eyeroll: Doesn't look to me like the refs went easy on Highlands.

Boyle County

66 plays
247 yards total
17 1st downs
3 Penaltys for 11 yards
47 rushes for 193 yards 2 tds
5 of 19 passing for 54 yards and 3 picks

Highlands

63 plays
412 yards
19 1st downs
10 penaltys for 105 yards
38 rushes for 210 yards 3 tds
12 for 25 and 202 yards 1 td
Towles finished with 280 total yards, 39 more than Boyle County accrued as a team.
sstack Wrote:Just got back from the game. I sat on the Boyle side (visitor side is a joke, can't see the field over the players). All the talking about the refs is funny. The Boyle fans were fine with it until HHS went up 3 scores and then all of a sudden they were the worst refs in the world. I am sure after 30 straight wins, losing is frustrating and they were just over reacting. Like another poster mentioned, I too thought 1-2 personal foul calls were ticky tacky. Someone mentioned HHS looked in midseason form; I thought they looked sloppy first half, and better second but far from midseason form. HHS had way too many penalties and turnovers. On D it looked to me like alot of guys trying to make a hard hit and not wrapping to tackle and gave up alot of extra yards. Kicking game better than expected. The drive by Highlands at end of first half was a thing of beauty! If the O can move like that consistently, they will put alot of teams away in first half. Boyle's top player (Hester) looked out of shape. The Boyle fans near me were also saying this and said he needs to get in shape so he can play both ways more. Boyle had some success running the ball, but passing game was unimpressive. I honestly feel if they meet again, that HHS wins by 4 TD's, unless Boyle has a tremendous improvement.

I agree that the Birds didn't look anywhere close to mid-season form. Way too many mistakes. Execution not near as sharp as it should have been. Birds will get there though.

I thought Hester played a pretty good game. I didn't notice the fatigue. Heck, towards the end of the game and with Cox on the sidelines with cramps, Hester became the horse. Was still running very hard. Didn't look out of shape to me. Playing both ways against a team like Highlands will wear out any kid playing both ways. Which is the obvious reason Dale two platoons. There are some talented kids on Highlands team that would start on both sides of the ball at other programs. Dale chooses to only permit them to play one way to keep them fresher and allow them to get coaching on the sidelines while the other unit is out on the field.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:ihigh game announcers said Boyle was basically robbed of momentum by the officials. They said "what comes around goes around in November." Said Highlands wasn't called for alot of penalties and played some dirty football.....I thought it was classy of Dales Birds to take a knee. Bird turnovers and penalties at inopportune times potentially cost them a couple more scores......I thought it was a hard fought game by the kids on both sides and didn't see alot of what the announcers claimed was terrible officiating.

The "ihigh game announcers" were hardly objective. They were BOYLE County's announcers, doing the game for ihigh.
The better team definitely won this game. Boyle's QB looked shaky at best. He completed almost as many to the Birds as to his own team.

I also thought the Boyle offense looked very one dimensional. They are going to struggle this year without the horses to make the power inside running game work.

My biggest observation was the atmosphere at the stadium was terrible. Even when the game was close, the fans were pretty quiet.

My biggest gripe was with the obnoxious music playing in the end zone. It probably wouldn't have been quite as bad if the didn't keep deciding to crank it up as the QBs were calling signals at the line. To do that when the other team is on offense is just obnoxious and rude. To do it when your own team is trying to run a play is just plain stupid. They also played music over top of the PA system at halftime, which just made for a lot of noise. Hopefully, someone will politely ask them not to come back. I thought about doing that myself.
sstack Wrote:Just got back from the game. I sat on the Boyle side (visitor side is a joke, can't see the field over the players). All the talking about the refs is funny. The Boyle fans were fine with it until HHS went up 3 scores and then all of a sudden they were the worst refs in the world. I am sure after 30 straight wins, losing is frustrating and they were just over reacting. Like another poster mentioned, I too thought 1-2 personal foul calls were ticky tacky. Someone mentioned HHS looked in midseason form; I thought they looked sloppy first half, and better second but far from midseason form. HHS had way too many penalties and turnovers. On D it looked to me like alot of guys trying to make a hard hit and not wrapping to tackle and gave up alot of extra yards. Kicking game better than expected. The drive by Highlands at end of first half was a thing of beauty! If the O can move like that consistently, they will put alot of teams away in first half. Boyle's top player (Hester) looked out of shape. The Boyle fans near me were also saying this and said he needs to get in shape so he can play both ways more. Boyle had some success running the ball, but passing game was unimpressive. I honestly feel if they meet again, that HHS wins by 4 TD's, unless Boyle has a tremendous improvement.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but if I recall correctly Hester has had "wheel" problems this summer. He has had to sit out a lot of conditioning because of leg issues.
Hester has had some hamstring issues for 2-3 years. He will be okay.
cctiger Wrote:Boyle could be 1-3 or 0-4 to start the season after the performance they had tonight. Highlands is the real deal but Boyle's play calling was also completely horrible. Why come out of the bone when Highlands hadn't stopped it and you just ran it down their throats. Next observation is Highlands turnovers in the 1st half kept this game from being over before half time. And last observation is Boyle better start having open tryouts for quarterback because that guy just isn't going to get it done.

Highlands has proven over the past several years that you won't beat them by running the bone. It is effective at shaving alot of time off the clock, but when the birds get up by a score or two, it becomes an achilles to your team. I'm sure that the Bluebirds fully expect to see a wishbone formation at the next meeting and will be fully prepared. And yes, you are correct that Highlands had too many opportunities slip away to put this game out of reach early. They must correct the machine for the 2nd meeting. Bottom line was Highlands seemed to do what they wanted when they wanted to do it. I wasn't sure why Dale was still throwing the ball when up by two scores in the second half. Why not just run the ball since it was very effective and Boyle D couldn't stop it? Not impressed with birds passing game at all.....took too long to throw and into double/triple coverage.....towles much more effective on ground. Aside from the defensive td for the Birds, both offenses were neck and neck throughout the 1st half. Birds clearly had a better defense which is what will carry them to hopefully another state title.
This score would have been reversed last year. Highlands had way too much coming back, Boyle last quite a bit from last year.
know1 Wrote:The better team definitely won this game. Boyle's QB looked shaky at best. He completed almost as many to the Birds as to his own team.

I also thought the Boyle offense looked very one dimensional. They are going to struggle this year without the horses to make the power inside running game work.

My biggest observation was the atmosphere at the stadium was terrible. Even when the game was close, the fans were pretty quiet.

My biggest gripe was with the obnoxious music playing in the end zone. It probably wouldn't have been quite as bad if the didn't keep deciding to crank it up as the QBs were calling signals at the line. To do that when the other team is on offense is just obnoxious and rude. To do it when your own team is trying to run a play is just plain stupid. They also played music over top of the PA system at halftime, which just made for a lot of noise. Hopefully, someone will politely ask them not to come back. I thought about doing that myself.

I agree, it was a quiet game from start to finish. Did not think the music was that bad. Have you been to JC for a game? That is a place were the music just over the top rude and obnoxious!
Can you dig it? Wrote:These are the stats that I found laying around another site.:eyeroll: Doesn't look to me like the refs went easy on Highlands.

Boyle County

66 plays
247 yards total
17 1st downs
3 Penaltys for 11 yards
47 rushes for 193 yards 2 tds
5 of 19 passing for 54 yards and 3 picks

Highlands

63 plays
412 yards
19 1st downs
10 penaltys for 105 yards
38 rushes for 210 yards 3 tds
12 for 25 and 202 yards 1 td
Ihigh usually uses the local radio broadcast with their video.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

When Boyle Co. changed to the wishbone they moved the ball a lot better against Highlands. BC did not do good trying to out-flank HHS because of the speed of HHS defense, but powering it straight ahead worked. The problem was that BC got behind and it was taking too long to score with the wishbone.

cctiger Wrote:Boyle could be 1-3 or 0-4 to start the season after the performance they had tonight. Highlands is the real deal but Boyle's play calling was also completely horrible. Why come out of the bone when Highlands hadn't stopped it and you just ran it down their throats. Next observation is Highlands turnovers in the 1st half kept this game from being over before half time. And last observation is Boyle better start having open tryouts for quarterback because that guy just isn't going to get it done.

Why hasn't Boyle brought you in to coach yet? You obviously know more about the game than they do. I mean, French is only 43-2 since getting to Boyle. But I'm sure you'd do better. They obviously have no clue how to call plays or who to put in their positions. You'd be a much better coach.

The Boyle QB looked excellent against Rowan County in the scrimmage and almost perfect in 7 on 7's. No, it's not the same as a real game, but it does mean something. He had about 4 easy dropped passes, and little help from his O-line. And with boyle's run first offense, most of the time he only threw on 3rd and long with Highlands stuffing the run. Few QB's in the freaking state would have had success throwing the ball last night with all of those factors. Sure, he made some bad throws. But let's not forget this is a team game. The Boyle county TEAM lost the game, not the QB, not the defense, or the O-line or any other individual.

Highlands was the better team last night, bottom line. Boyle will be just fine with the lineup they have. Wait and see...
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:When Boyle Co. changed to the wishbone they moved the ball a lot better against Highlands. BC did not do good trying to out-flank HHS because of the speed of HHS defense, but powering it straight ahead worked. The problem was that BC got behind and it was taking too long to score with the wishbone.

Ask Johnson Central about that, that has been the same problem for them the past 2 years. Everybody keeps saying JC needs to have at least a respectable passing game if they want to get past Highlands. The JC fans continue to disagree, but with Highlands high power, quick strike O, JC gets behind and does not have the offense to catch back up. Highlands D plays bend but don't break. They will allow you to score, but it is going to be a long, clock killing drive.
MSU Eagle Wrote:Why hasn't Boyle brought you in to coach yet? You obviously know more about the game than they do. I mean, French is only 43-2 since getting to Boyle. But I'm sure you'd do better. They obviously have no clue how to call plays or who to put in their positions. You'd be a much better coach.

The Boyle QB looked excellent against Rowan County in the scrimmage and almost perfect in 7 on 7's. No, it's not the same as a real game, but it does mean something. He had about 4 easy dropped passes, and little help from his O-line. And with boyle's run first offense, most of the time he only threw on 3rd and long with Highlands stuffing the run. Few QB's in the freaking state would have had success throwing the ball last night with all of those factors. Sure, he made some bad throws. But let's not forget this is a team game. The Boyle county TEAM lost the game, not the QB, not the defense, or the O-line or any other individual.

Highlands was the better team last night, bottom line. Boyle will be just fine with the lineup they have. Wait and see...

You are right, they are fine with this coaching staff! I did not see 4 easy drops last night. I did see a couple of poorly thrown balls, but against most teams on Boyle's schedule, he is going to have much more success.
sstack Wrote:Ask Johnson Central about that, that has been the same problem for them the past 2 years. Everybody keeps saying JC needs to have at least a respectable passing game if they want to get past Highlands. The JC fans continue to disagree, but with Highlands high power, quick strike O, JC gets behind and does not have the offense to catch back up. Highlands D plays bend but don't break. They will allow you to score, but it is going to be a long, clock killing drive.

While there may be some truth to that, we must remind once again that that one little dropped pass in the endzone, (that refuses to be acknowledged), counters your claim in 2010. I thought that they had a respectable (and efficient) passing game in that game. They did not pass a lot , and admittedly not of the "quick strike" variety it still kept HHS mystified and kept JC in the game. JC's defense was also able to keep it close, which was better than what 99% of the teams that HHS had played was able to do. That is just as much an answer as having an all out passing attack.
Blau Vogel Wrote:The "ihigh game announcers" were hardly objective. They were BOYLE County's announcers, doing the game for ihigh.

I can't say because I didn't get the opportunity to listen to the broadcast.

However I will say this in defense of the play by play man (one of my best friends in this world), he is well respected by his peers in this state. He's not just some homer. Steve will tell it like he sees it but he's thought enough of to have done many of the state championship games for the Kentucky Broadcasting Network for the last 10 years.

I don't know any sportscaster that's perfectly objective but Steve is pretty close. Now the color guy may have made the statements many took offense to and that's fine. I don't know who is doing color this year but I do know the play by play guy is one of the best you will find in high school sports. :Thumbs:

BTW, he texted me this morning to tell me that he thought HHS was the better team and won "impressively." His words. :Thumbs:
Yo Soy Wrote:This score would have been reversed last year. Highlands had way too much coming back, Boyle last quite a bit from last year.

Yeah, because Highlands had nothing last year.:please:
Blau Vogel Wrote:The "ihigh game announcers" were hardly objective. They were BOYLE County's announcers, doing the game for ihigh.

IHIGH uses radio broadcasts from the local home team. That is why it was not "objective," they were Boyle announcers. It would have been the same anywhere else when the home team is losing.

Mr. Morehead just because your dad coaches doesn't mean you need to get so up tight. Number one you just said it your self if you continue to run the ball on 1st and second down and it's that obvious stack the box which keeps a team from the running ball. That falls on the offensive coordinator not mixing up the play calls. When Highlands came to the line you didn't know if they were going to throw or run. Number two that loss doesn't really fall on Boyle Counties D because they did all they could do with all of the poor decisions and turnovers the quarter back made. Do you realize he has thrown more touchdowns to the opposing team then he has his own. He also has almost as many interceptions as he does completions. The only dropped pass I seen the whole game is when he threw one good ball the whole night but got his reciever laid out. Not many high school football players are going to make that play comming across the middle of the field. Plus French maybe 43-2 but does he even coach. I've seen 4 or 5 of his games and he doesn't have a head set on and he stays away from the team. This loss falls on the quarterback and who ever is calling the offense.
cctiger Wrote:Mr. Morehead just because your dad coaches doesn't mean you need to get so up tight. Number one you just said it your self if you continue to run the ball on 1st and second down and it's that obvious stack the box which keeps a team from the running ball. That falls on the offensive coordinator not mixing up the play calls. When Highlands came to the line you didn't know if they were going to throw or run. Number two that loss doesn't really fall on Boyle Counties D because they did all they could do with all of the poor decisions and turnovers the quarter back made. Do you realize he has thrown more touchdowns to the opposing team then he has his own. He also has almost as many interceptions as he does completions. The only dropped pass I seen the whole game is when he threw one good ball the whole night but got his reciever laid out. Not many high school football players are going to make that play comming across the middle of the field. Plus French maybe 43-2 but does he even coach. I've seen 4 or 5 of his games and he doesn't have a head set on and he stays away from the team. This loss falls on the quarterback and who ever is calling the offense.

I don't think it was the play calling on offense that allowed 35 point against on the score board. Defense wins games and the rebels did not bring that to the game. Just did not look to me like Boyle Co. teams I have loved to watch in the past.
cctiger Wrote:Mr. Morehead just because your dad coaches doesn't mean you need to get so up tight. Number one you just said it your self if you continue to run the ball on 1st and second down and it's that obvious stack the box which keeps a team from the running ball. That falls on the offensive coordinator not mixing up the play calls. When Highlands came to the line you didn't know if they were going to throw or run. Number two that loss doesn't really fall on Boyle Counties D because they did all they could do with all of the poor decisions and turnovers the quarter back made. Do you realize he has thrown more touchdowns to the opposing team then he has his own. He also has almost as many interceptions as he does completions. The only dropped pass I seen the whole game is when he threw one good ball the whole night but got his reciever laid out. Not many high school football players are going to make that play comming across the middle of the field. Plus French maybe 43-2 but does he even coach. I've seen 4 or 5 of his games and he doesn't have a head set on and he stays away from the team. This loss falls on the quarterback and who ever is calling the offense.

Bash the coaches if you wish but it's ridiculous to call out a high school kid. Sounds like someone's bitter.
Serenity Prayer Wrote:Bash the coaches if you wish but it's ridiculous to call out a high school kid. Sounds like someone's bitter.

Yeah, I feel the same way you do. Boyle didn't lose because of the QB or the play calling. They lost because Highlands is a better team. Period.
^ Losses require excuses versus acceptance in the minds of most
Highlands drove 80 yards for a touchdown in the final minute of the first half to take the lead, and the Bluebirds pulled away in the first drive of the third quarter in a 35-14 win over Boyle County on Friday.

With the score tied at 14 and 58 seconds left until halftime, Highlands senior quarterback Patrick Towles completed 5-of-6 passes for 80 yards in 46 seconds, capped off by a 30-yard TD pass to junior wide receiver Donovan McCoy.

On the first possession of the second half, senior wide receiver Austin Sheehan caught a 50-yard pass to set up a one-yard touchdown run by Towles to make it 28-14.

Towles finished 11-for-24 for 201 yards and one touchdown, and he ran the ball 16 times for 79 yards and three TDs.

Senior defensive back Carter New intercepted two passes, and ran one back 86 yards for Highlands’ first score to give the Bluebirds a 14-7 in the second quarter. New also converted all three of his extra point attempts.
I thought this would be closer i guess i gave boyle too much credit after all they did lose alot.....Highlands by the time they are in mid season form they gonna be tough to beat
good luck to both teams the rest of the season
^ Good first half, then HHS separated themselves