Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will win the 15th Region?
Make your pick.
Based on what I saw yesterday it's about wide open,Belfry started kinda slow,but once they got going wore Betsy Lane out,but you have to be ready every game.
What were the scores?
UKisN1 Wrote:What were the scores?

they did not plat regular matches,they played 12:00 varsity,12:00 mins JV then 12:00 mins varsity,who ever had the widest margin won their division,pikeville won the morning,left before evening session was over but if i remember correctly Belfry beat them by 11 points
Belfry's JV beat Betsy Layne's 20-8.... but Betsy Layne's Varsity beat Belfry's by 1. So, it was BL's JV that killed them. Betsy Layne is still one of the best in the region....
Pikeville beat Magoffin County and Johnson Central, both of them very handily. Beat JC by 20 or 21 total points (I believe it was 55 total points for this game), and Magoffin County by the same amount (62 or 63 total points for this game). I thought Belfry looked okay, definitely not the Belfry of old. Magoffin County is actually a fairly solid defensive club, but not strong on the attacking. Their set ups left a lot to be desired. Johnson Central was pretty good in all areas. but their attacking was again, not as strong as traditionally in the past. Based on what I saw, Pikeville, AC, BL and Belfry (not in that order) are the top 4 teams in the early going. It looked to me like Pikeville had the least amount of drop off between their varsity and JV teams in terms of overall talent.
Who has the best coach in the 15th? Hard choice because there are several good ones...
PHSForever Wrote:Pikeville beat Magoffin County and Johnson Central, both of them very handily. Beat JC by 20 or 21 total points (I believe it was 55 total points for this game), and Magoffin County by the same amount (62 or 63 total points for this game). I thought Belfry looked okay, definitely not the Belfry of old. Magoffin County is actually a fairly solid defensive club, but not strong on the attacking. Their set ups left a lot to be desired. Johnson Central was pretty good in all areas. but their attacking was again, not as strong as traditionally in the past. Based on what I saw, Pikeville, AC, BL and Belfry (not in that order) are the top 4 teams in the early going. It looked to me like Pikeville had the least amount of drop off between their varsity and JV teams in terms of overall talent.
All teams played well, but overall I thought all teams were somewhat down from last year, but it is just the beginning of the season.
bigvolleyfan Wrote:All teams played well, but overall I thought all teams were somewhat down from last year, but it is just the beginning of the season.
Not to be mean or anything, but there were a couple of teams that are DRAMATICALLY down from last year. But yeah, all the teams showed some good with some bad, it is early in the season though, you are right.
GoReds Wrote:Who has the best coach in the 15th? Hard choice because there are several good ones...
Hard to tell, really. Allen Central coach is top notch, always has his team ready. Pikeville coach is young, but relates to her girls well and they respond to her well on coaching. She's big on fundamentals, working hard on those. Also very big on serve percentage, they've been working hard on that, I can tell, not giving away a lot of points on serve errors. Right now, I'm biased and believe Pikeville to have the best one, but objectively, AC's coach is very good too.
It's really hard to tell who is the best, because the pre season tournament wasn't ran like real games and not all players were there. Give it a couple of weeks into the season or wait and see what happens at the Food City tournament, then I'll make a prediction. Right now AC and Pikeville looks good.
lovethatvolley Wrote:It's really hard to tell who is the best, because the pre season tournament wasn't ran like real games and not all players were there. Give it a couple of weeks into the season or wait and see what happens at the Food City tournament, then I'll make a prediction. Right now AC and Pikeville looks good.
While it is true it wasn't run like normal games are, the standard rules applied: Score more points than the other team. While they didn't play conventional matches, the time constraints roughly mirrored what an average match is in length, they subbed like normally allowed to, etc. It was a good indication of stamina, low serve errors, passing, set ups, attacking, etc. All in all, I think it was a very good indicator of where some teams are at this point of the season, etc. It was a fun tourney to watch, IMHO. After watching Pikeville against Phelps, I felt like the preseason tourney was a pretty good indicator. Pikeville dropped the first match due to some really uncharacteristic hitting into the net and poor defense. Afterwards, they reeled off two straight matches against Phelps that were pretty impressive. Matter of fact, the JV team absolutely smoked Phelp's JV team too. First match was 21-1, with one server taking over with the score at 8-1, then reeling off 13 straight points. That player finished the night in the two matches 17 for 17 on serves, with at least 3 or 4 aces. I filmed almost the entire thing, and will try to put on YouTube and then post a link here. Didn't film the Varsity for a specific reason.
I feel that Betsy Layne, Allen Central & Belfry are still the favorites until someone shows they can beat them.
Coach Dawn Kinner of Paintsville has done a great job turning her team around. Unfortunately, it is hard to build a program with only 2 solid players, who are both very young (a sophomore and a freshman). Keep up the good work, focusing on fundamentals.
After watching all of the teams this year. It will be hard to beat Allen Central.
lovethatvolley Wrote:After watching all of the teams this year. It will be hard to beat Allen Central.
I have to agree, after finally having seen all the teams now. I've been singing the praises of the Lady Panthers, and still feel they are dangerous, but this team just hasn't put "it" all together yet. So I'm picking Allen Central as the favorites right now, with Betsy Layne a solid #2 capable of beating them.
I'm going to go with Allen Central.
South Floyd has a chance, but they have some seniors that need to decide if they want to win it, a little heart goes a long way!
Allen Central is head and shoulders ahead of any other team in the region. South Floyd, Betsy Layne, Belfry, East Ridge and Pikeville could all be argued as 2nd best though.
Doesn't anyone think East Ridge has a chance?
Statmaster Wrote:Doesn't anyone think East Ridge has a chance?
Very little, to be honest. Good team, but a lot like Pikeville, waiting to put it together. I just don't think the 15th champ will come out of the 59th this year. Most likely the 57th.
The Ladycat Weekend Dig Invitational at Betsy Layne on Saturday, Sept. 10 will help see where Allen Central and Betsy Layne are in the race at this time. Letcher Central and Rowan County will play also.
Pretty sure Allen Central will be playing in the All A State Tourney on Saturday, not at BL.
I hate that for the other three teams. AC can't help that. good luck to them!
KHSAA says that Pikeville has taken Allen Central's spot in the Betsy Layne tourney this Saturday
GoReds Wrote:KHSAA says that Pikeville has taken Allen Central's spot in the Betsy Layne tourney this Saturday
Yes, that is correct. Pikeville plays Letcher at 12:20 and Rowan at 2:30.

On a somewhat related note, Pikeville knocked off Belfry 2-1 at Belfry last night for the schools' first-ever win over them in volleyball. It was a close, hard-fought game. Made me re-consider what I was saying about this team putting it together. If they play the rest of the season like they did last night, they are a tough out for anyone.
East Ridge beat Belfry recently too. I think the Lady Warriors will hold their own this year.
Statmaster Wrote:East Ridge beat Belfry recently too. I think the Lady Warriors will hold their own this year.
I did not know that. Interesting. I guess we will see when ER and PHS play each other.
ER is good, but Pikeville is young and good... KHSAA says they have one senior and one junior... looks like they will keep getting better. PHS might be a scary team in the future...

AC is the best this year... Betsy Layne played them close last night though!
GoReds Wrote:ER is good, but Pikeville is young and good... KHSAA says they have one senior and one junior... looks like they will keep getting better. PHS might be a scary team in the future...

AC is the best this year... Betsy Layne played them close last night though!
Correct on the roster. I saw that Bl played AC pretty tough, that's good news.

On the flip side, I'm surprised I haven't hear from more Belfry VB posters on here. As rabid as their fan base is (especially the way they behaved toward a line judge the other night), I figured there would be more commentary from them.