Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What you look for in a Pastor
What do you look for in a Pastor? I just read a book for one of my classes and their list of qualities of a pastor, I wanted to see if what people I know say, and what the books says, lines up.

So, if you were on a committee or were a DS and you were hiring/appointing a pastor to YOUR church, what are qualities they would have to have? What is the most important quality/qualities?
LWC Wrote:What do you look for in a Pastor? I just read a book for one of my classes and their list of qualities of a pastor, I wanted to see if what people I know say, and what the books says, lines up.

So, if you were on a committee or were a DS and you were hiring/appointing a pastor to YOUR church, what are qualities they would have to have? What is the most important quality/qualities?

A devout man of God
Studies the Bible daily
Has control of his family lol
Commands respect but doesn't disrespect others
Can display God's Word in a professional and interesting manner

I could go on forever....
Great question and can certainly vary depending on the denomination.

First and foremost for me is Bible based.

Second but almost as important to me is a story-teller with a dynamic speaking ability. Jesus did not preach "At" his congregation, but spoke "to" them. I grew up in the Church of God, and the tenor was "Fire and Brimstone" with the message being that you are going to Hell "If you don't......". Today's congregations are mixed with so many religious backgrounds that preach "At" seems to have lost it's ability to reach everyone. With the number of Catholics that have migrated to the protestant faith, having the ability to speak to them without scaring them off has been very effective in keeping them in the fold. I experienced that first hand with my wife. We tried many churches until she could be comfortable of not feeling threatened.

I truly enjoy a minister who can convey his message with passion without conviction (though conviction is still needed at times). Telling story's, or as Jesus did with parables, allows today's congregation better interpret the word of the Bible. I relate this to coaching. I have learned my coaching style from all of the coaches that I have ever had. I had both good and bad, but probably what I learned the most from was those who yelled. Those who yelled, just like the parent who yells, get's tuned out! The shock factor loses it's affect when you only yell. Still too many football coaches believe that yelling at their players is the effective way of getting their attention. Yet after a while, the yelling just becomes their tone of voice, thus they no longer have the ability to reach the emotional psyche of the athlete. I've learned to stay even, with an excitement in my approach. Then when I feel the need to stress my point or get their attention, raising my voice then means something because they know it is different than the norm. This works for a good speaker, no matter the profession. Thus, a pastor who is not monotone and can tell a good story has the best ability to reach me with him message.

Our minister has an incredible ability to combine the bible teaching into an excellent story of real world analogies that everyone can relate to. Though the message is always specific, he always does and incredible job of wrapping up his sermon by tying in his message to the alter call at the end.

Though this is not specific to the minister, our church does a great job of mixing things up. Church service is typically structured the same way every week: Songs, Offering, Sermon, Alter Call. When the order of things are mixed up, it seems to work by changing up what you expect. We have on many occasions kicked off the service with the sermon and it really seems to work.
The truth.
A person who is the same way in church as they are in their everyday life.
Mine might piss somebody off but here's what I look for
• Doesn't say I'm going to hell if I don't get baptized(even if the bible says so I don't think it's right)
• Down to earth
• Doesn't think going to church automatically makes you a better person(you all know as much as I do that people can still do bad outside of Sunday morning)
• Doesn't scream and holler all the time

There's a few more, but I'm sure you'll enjoy my list.
got to stay with the WORD,1st would be 1st Timothy 3:1-7.(1)this is true saying,if a man(so it CANT be a woman preacher) desire the office of a bishop(which is a pastor)HE(not she)desireth good work.(2)a bishop then must be blameless,the HUSBAND of ONE WIFE(cant be married more than once unless his wife died and he would have to mary a virgin)vigilant,sober,of good behavior,given to hospitlity,apt to teach.(3)not given to wine,no striker,not greedy of filthy lucre;but patient, not a brawler,not covetousSad4)one that ruleth well his own house,having his children in subjection with all gravity;(5)for if a MAN(not woman)know not how to rule HIS own house,how shall HE take care of the church of God?(6)not a novice,lest being lifted up in pride HE fall into the condemation of the devil.(7)moreover HE must have good report of them which is without(meaning community,not just HIS church or family)lest HE fall into reproach and the snare of the devil....................................................................if HE dont meet those requirements which GOD made not me or man,HE has NO business behing the pulpit no matter if HE has a gift or not...GOD will say you worker of inquity,i never knew you...sorry if that hurts but its TRUTH ANY HOW...
cuppett777 Wrote:got to stay with the WORD,1st would be 1st Timothy 3:1-7.(1)this is true saying,if a man(so it CANT be a woman preacher) desire the office of a bishop(which is a pastor)HE(not she)desireth good work.(2)a bishop then must be blameless,the HUSBAND of ONE WIFE(cant be married more than once unless his wife died and he would have to mary a virgin)vigilant,sober,of good behavior,given to hospitlity,apt to teach.(3)not given to wine,no striker,not greedy of filthy lucre;but patient, not a brawler,not covetousSad4)one that ruleth well his own house,having his children in subjection with all gravity;(5)for if a MAN(not woman)know not how to rule HIS own house,how shall HE take care of the church of God?(6)not a novice,lest being lifted up in pride HE fall into the condemation of the devil.(7)moreover HE must have good report of them which is without(meaning community,not just HIS church or family)lest HE fall into reproach and the snare of the devil....................................................................if HE dont meet those requirements which GOD made not me or man,HE has NO business behing the pulpit no matter if HE has a gift or not...GOD will say you worker of inquity,i never knew you...sorry if that hurts but its TRUTH ANY HOW...

I respect your beliefs as well as everyone else's but it sounds like you have a problem with women.
ah boys...
and girls Wink
I wont touch Post #7 with a 10-foot pole, lol.

Keep them coming.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I respect your beliefs as well as everyone else's but it sounds like you have a problem with women.

no sir i dont, just stating what the Bible says, read it for ur self that why i posted it,too many pastors wont preach it, and not enough people read it..
HawksRule Wrote:Mine might piss somebody off but here's what I look for
• Doesn't say I'm going to hell if I don't get baptized(even if the bible says so I don't think it's right)
• Down to earth
• Doesn't think going to church automatically makes you a better person(you all know as much as I do that people can still do bad outside of Sunday morning)
• Doesn't scream and holler all the time

There's a few more, but I'm sure you'll enjoy my list.

This.
Also a pastor who's able to keep perspective, know that people make mistakes, and don't condemn them over it.
Some people get so tied up in what they believe that they lose perspective and can't accept how others live, what they believe, damns people over mistakes they've made themselves, and ultimately becomes a hypocrite.
Aslan Wrote:This.
Also a pastor who's able to keep perspective, know that people make mistakes, and don't condemn them over it.
Some people get so tied up in what they believe that they lose perspective and can't accept how others live, what they believe, damns people over mistakes they've made themselves, and ultimately becomes a hypocrite.

Aslan, we disagree here. If someone is living in sin, I do not have to accept it. I do not beat them to death with stares, cruel intentions or bashing however. I try to explain to them that we are called to be Holy:

1 Peter 1:14-16 Wrote:As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

I will always love and accept the person with open arms, but I never have to accept the sin.
LWC Wrote:Aslan, we disagree here. If someone is living in sin, I do not have to accept it. I do not beat them to death with stares, cruel intentions or bashing however. I try to explain to them that we are called to be Holy:

I will always love and accept the person with open arms, but I never have to accept the sin.

This is just my opinion.
But if ya know someone living in sin, it's okay to tell them of Gods kingdom. Don't make shove it down their throat or make it a point of conversation every time you talk to 'em, because you will just do harm and push that person further away from God. I think that being an example of Christ will do more than words ever could to a non believer. Try your best to walk Christs path, respect what others believe or don't believe, don't judge or condemn anybody because thats for God to do not us(lots of people have a bad habit of this). Doing all this, you will have a non believers respect and they might eventually want to walk the path you're walking. If that, that's cool, it's their decision.
Not trying to get into a heated religious debate but that's how I feel non believers should be approached. I'll be honest, I'm not a good role model and am definitely living in sin, but I'm trying. I curse, drink, and am addicted to cigarettes. But my Christian friends words do nothing for me, the paths they walk inspire me to be better. Hopefully I change, be more like Christ, and one day walk in streets of gold forever.
Aslan Wrote:This is just my opinion.
But if ya know someone living in sin, it's okay to tell them of Gods kingdom. Don't make shove it down their throat or make it a point of conversation every time you talk to 'em, because you will just do harm and push that person further away from God. I think that being an example of Christ will do more than words ever could to a non believer. Try your best to walk Christs path, respect what others believe or don't believe, don't judge or condemn anybody because thats for God to do not us(lots of people have a bad habit of this). Doing all this, you will have a non believers respect and they might eventually want to walk the path you're walking. If that, that's cool, it's their decision.
Not trying to get into a heated religious debate but that's how I feel non believers should be approached. I'll be honest, I'm not a good role model and am definitely living in sin, but I'm trying. I curse, drink, and am addicted to cigarettes. But my Christian friends words do nothing for me, the paths they walk inspire me to be better. Hopefully I change, be more like Christ, and one day walk in streets of gold forever.

I agree about how actions speak louder than words. Many people forget that the Bible is a living book. We are not just supposed to say the words, we are supposed to live them. What Jesus did so often was quote God's Word (tell someone how to live) and then give a call to action. He used example leadership and servant leadership. He lead by example, just as Christians (literally Christ-followers are supposed to)

How many times did Jesus heal someone, whether spiritually or physically, and then say either, "follow me" or "go, and sin no more." He gave us a higher calling than being good, it was to be great, through Him.

I have had, and still do have, drug addicted friends. Some have come clean and some have not. I have witnessed people have tobacco addictions that come into church, lay their cigs on the altar, and walk away from a life-threatening habit. What I do with my friends and family (different from parishioners because I have the ability to be more free with them) is I tell them what they are doing is wrong, one time, but I am very serious about it. I tell them that is the only time I will ever tell them that and they should respect me enough to listen. I have earned that respect because I have been their friend for years. I go on to tell them, when, not if, they want help and/or support, I will be there at the drop of a hat.

One of those friends told me one time, and I quote, "LWC, (only my real name, which you know) I want to be as joyful as you are, right now I have now joy in my life. I have times when I am happy, small moments, but after I come down, I'm more lonely than I was before." That is tough stuff to hear but they see a Christian life and know it is what they want. I always tell them about the cross-shaped hole in our hearts we are born with. Many of us try to fill it with everything imaginable, but the only thing to fix our born void is a relationship with Jesus.

As a Pastor, my conversations have to go different because I may and will be dealing with people I have a different or no relationship with. I have learned that people respect you more if you are honest with them. If someone comes to talk to me about a problem, sin or struggle, I am honest and frank with them. They are not coming to me about a sin-struggle for me to fluff them up. I tell them:
1. What they are doing is wrong
2. I am still going to love them
3. God is still going to love them
4. Even though we love them, it is heart breaking when they sin
5. If they ever need me, I am only a visit or call away, but more importantly God is only a prayer away. Talk to either, preferably both about it. (Prayer is more important than talking to me, but I want to help, that is why I say both)
6. Can I pray for you now and give you a few verses to take with you? (I write down a few verses and give them a Bible, if they do not have one)
7. I let them know I am going to be praying for them daily. (Whether someone is a church-goer or not, they still see the caring and love in someone that uses prayer as a support and not a condemnation)

Aslan, I think we are saying the same thing, but in a different way. I do not condone Bible-bashing and condemnation from a Christian, but I do believe that God's Word is important to be taken seriously. Jesus converted others through His love and example, not because He could recite scripture. Remember, even the Jewish temple leaders could recite scripture. Wink

The ultimate witness to someone is to love them like Jesus and to show them how to live like Jesus.
Aslan Wrote:This is just my opinion.

Good post!
LWC Wrote:I agree about how actions speak louder than words. Many people forget that the Bible is a living book. We are not just supposed to say the words, we are supposed to live them. What Jesus did so often was quote God's Word (tell someone how to live) and then give a call to action. He used example leadership and servant leadership. He lead by example, just as Christians (literally Christ-followers are supposed to)

How many times did Jesus heal someone, whether spiritually or physically, and then say either, "follow me" or "go, and sin no more." He gave us a higher calling than being good, it was to be great, through Him.

I have had, and still do have, drug addicted friends. Some have come clean and some have not. I have witnessed people have tobacco addictions that come into church, lay their cigs on the altar, and walk away from a life-threatening habit. What I do with my friends and family (different from parishioners because I have the ability to be more free with them) is I tell them what they are doing is wrong, one time, but I am very serious about it. I tell them that is the only time I will ever tell them that and they should respect me enough to listen. I have earned that respect because I have been their friend for years. I go on to tell them, when, not if, they want help and/or support, I will be there at the drop of a hat.

One of those friends told me one time, and I quote, "LWC, (only my real name, which you know) I want to be as joyful as you are, right now I have now joy in my life. I have times when I am happy, small moments, but after I come down, I'm more lonely than I was before." That is tough stuff to hear but they see a Christian life and know it is what they want. I always tell them about the cross-shaped hole in our hearts we are born with. Many of us try to fill it with everything imaginable, but the only thing to fix our born void is a relationship with Jesus.

As a Pastor, my conversations have to go different because I may and will be dealing with people I have a different or no relationship with. I have learned that people respect you more if you are honest with them. If someone comes to talk to me about a problem, sin or struggle, I am honest and frank with them. They are not coming to me about a sin-struggle for me to fluff them up. I tell them:
1. What they are doing is wrong
2. I am still going to love them
3. God is still going to love them
4. Even though we love them, it is heart breaking when they sin
5. If they ever need me, I am only a visit or call away, but more importantly God is only a prayer away. Talk to either, preferably both about it. (Prayer is more important than talking to me, but I want to help, that is why I say both)
6. Can I pray for you now and give you a few verses to take with you? (I write down a few verses and give them a Bible, if they do not have one)
7. I let them know I am going to be praying for them daily. (Whether someone is a church-goer or not, they still see the caring and love in someone that uses prayer as a support and not a condemnation)

Aslan, I think we are saying the same thing, but in a different way. I do not condone Bible-bashing and condemnation from a Christian, but I do believe that God's Word is important to be taken seriously. Jesus converted others through His love and example, not because He could recite scripture. Remember, even the Jewish temple leaders could recite scripture. Wink

The ultimate witness to someone is to love them like Jesus and to show them how to live like Jesus.

Another good post!
I believe that it is utterly important to live out Christ's Love in everything you do.

However, I think you absolutely are dropping the ball as a Christian if you never speak up.

You have to feel out every situation because no one is going to react the same way to everything. But if you never speak up and tell someone that God's got something better for them you are taking a risk because you may be the only person that can help them.
If you don't want to personally take the Gospel to someone....
offer to bring them to the Gospel.

Invite them to Church.

Also, realize that your Church might not work for everyone.
I have to think twice about inviting people to my Church because we are a charismatic Church that exercises the Spiritual Gifts on a regular basis.
That may freak some people out and some people may not believe in it.

I'm a licensed Minister and I'll let everyone on here know that I sin.
I even get a little carried away on here from time-to-time, but I assure you I try my best to tone it down lol
My sin makes me guilty of the worst but I've chosen to cover it with the Blood.
That's the only thing seperating me from an eternity of hell and I'm forever indebted to a life of Worship.
If the only Prayer of mine God ever answered was the one in which I asked him to Save my soul I'll still owe him everything.