Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Jones to Owsley County
that's what everyone is saying. Last I had heard was that they were close to hiring him and now everyone is pretty much saying it's official. Again that's just what I've heard
He was hired today is what I was told. Don't know much about him except he played at Clay County and Alice Lloyd. It's his 1st coaching job.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:He was hired today is what I was told. Don't know much about him except he played at Clay County and Alice Lloyd. It's his 1st coaching job.

That's what I've heard. If it's the Jones I'm thinking about he's just in his mid 20's
If it is Jones from Clay he would have just graduated from Alice Lloyd.
Strikeout King Wrote:That's what I've heard. If it's the Jones I'm thinking about he's just in his mid 20's

jed Wrote:If it is Jones from Clay he would have just graduated from Alice Lloyd.

This is who I am hearing got it too.
Wow!! If this is Will Jones from Clay, he just got out of college in May.. Never been an assistant.... Again WOW!!!

But Good Luck
^ Yep Ekff that's the Jones.
Well, Owsley must have seem something in him to hire him without in coaching experience. I wish the young man the best of luck.

Any word on who will be the assiants? I heard James Turner was in the mix for the job, anyone know what happen with that?
Tailback44 Wrote:Well, Owsley must have seem something in him to hire him without in coaching experience. I wish the young man the best of luck.

Any word on who will be the assiants? I heard James Turner was in the mix for the job, anyone know what happen with that?

I see what you're saying, but he must have impressed them with his interview. I was told he averaged 20 ppg as a starter at Alice Lloyd, so he knows how to play the game at least. Now, being a good basketball player does not necessarily make one a good coach. Hopefully this works out for the young man and Owsley County. It's his first job, but I you have to start somewhere. Most newbees want to get a few years under their belt as middle school coaches and then work up to an assistant job. Jones is getting the chance to skip all that and dive straight into a head coach position. We'll see how it goes, and good luck.
Hope it works out.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I see what you're saying, but he must have impressed them with his interview. I was told he averaged 20 ppg as a starter at Alice Lloyd, so he knows how to play the game at least. Now, being a good basketball player does not necessarily make one a good coach. Hopefully this works out for the young man and Owsley County. It's his first job, but I you have to start somewhere. Most newbees want to get a few years under their belt as middle school coaches and then work up to an assistant job. Jones is getting the chance to skip all that and dive straight into a head coach position. We'll see how it goes, and good luck.

:Thumbs: good luck Jones.
Good Luck to Coach Will Jones !
Good luck to Coach Jones.
Good luck Coach and the Owls!
I wish Will Jones the best of luck at Owsley County!!!
Really? A guy with zero experience? There had to be a better candidate.
SLHSCard Wrote:Really? A guy with zero experience? There had to be a better candidate.
Maybe there were better candidates, but when the school has a high school enrollment of 250 and is the only school in the county it is not always easy to attract coaches with glowing resumes and years of experience. Owsley has had success in the past with coaches fresh out of college.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Maybe there were better candidates, but when the school has a high school enrollment of 250 and is the only school in the county it is not always easy to attract coaches with glowing resumes and years of experience. Owsley has had success in the past with coaches fresh out of college.

Sparks and Bobrowski?
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Sparks and Bobrowski?
Actually, Sparks and Bobrowski had been assistants before they became head coaches. Sparks was an assistant to John Paul Amis at Buckhorn and was there when the Wildcats won their back-to-back 14th region titles in the late 1980's. Bobrowski had been an assistant to Sparks at Owsley and had also been head coach of the baseball team for a few years.
The coaches I am referring to that came straight out of college to be head coaches were John Daniel Seales, who coached at Owsley from 1957-1966 (won 2 district titles and made several trips to the regional semifinals), and Charlie Turner, who came straight out of Berea College to coach Owsley from 1978-1989 (won over 200 games, 4 districts, and was runner-up in the region twice).
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Actually, Sparks and Bobrowski had been assistants before they became head coaches. Sparks was an assistant to John Paul Amis at Buckhorn and was there when the Wildcats won their back-to-back 14th region titles in the late 1980's. Bobrowski had been an assistant to Sparks at Owsley and had also been head coach of the baseball team for a few years.
The coaches I am referring to that came straight out of college to be head coaches were John Daniel Seales, who coached at Owsley from 1957-1966 (won 2 district titles and made several trips to the regional semifinals), and Charlie Turner, who came straight out of Berea College to coach Owsley from 1978-1989 (won over 200 games, 4 districts, and was runner-up in the region twice).

LOL. That was a little before my time but I do remember Charlie Turner at Owsley County and his teams was always tough.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:LOL. That was a little before my time but I do remember Charlie Turner at Owsley County and his teams was always tough.
Oh, I go back a few years, lol. Not hardly to the 1950's but I have heard a lot of talk over the years about Coach Seales because one of the guys who played for him plays golf with me occasionally (that's the one great thing about golf, unlike other sports you can play it well into the elder years). He has relayed to me many of the stories and stats from the 1950's and 1960's eras.
A coach has to start some where.

Not everyone is begging to coach at Owsley County. Might as well start new than get everybody elses left overs.
airball3 Wrote:A coach has to start some where.

Not everyone is begging to coach at Owsley County. Might as well start new than get everybody elses left overs.
Your comment makes it sound like Owsley has never done much in basketball. During the 1980's and 1990's Owsley was a fixture in the 14th region tournament, making it to the final game in 1983 and 1985, and to the semifinals in 1982 (where they lost in double overtime to eventual champ MC Napier), 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1999, and 2000. They also made it to the region but lost in the first round in 1990, 2001 (OT loss to Breathitt), 2005, and 2010.
Owsley also has won 4 region All A tournaments and made it to the state All A semifinals in 2000 and to the finals in 1990.
Owsley doesn't have the history of Perry Central, Hazard, and a few of the other region schools, but for a small school they have turned out some pretty good teams over the past three decades, and have been very competitive.
I apologize, I wasn't meaning what I said in that context.

A lot of coaches don't seem to want to Coach at small schools, where talent levels are usually limited due to population. Smaller schools seem sometimes to be over looked.

I wish Will Jones and Owsley County the best of luck.
airball3 Wrote:I apologize, I wasn't meaning what I said in that context.

A lot of coaches don't seem to want to Coach at small schools, where talent levels are usually limited due to population. Smaller schools seem sometimes to be over looked.

I wish Will Jones and Owsley County the best of luck.

:Thumbs: