Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville High School 2011
So what is everyone's thoughts on what their season will be like this year? They lose Taylor Ratliff (always dangerous on Kickoff/punt returns and at WR) and a few others. They open the season against Harrison County in the Pike County Bowl. I'm thinking they are starting to turn the corner back a little, and should be pretty good this year with Randy Maynard back at QB and Safety, the Hall kid at RB, and a pretty young but experienced O and D line.
Aren't they playing Harlan in week "O"?
Dragonsdad Wrote:Aren't they playing Harlan in week "O"?
Yes. Gonna be weird not having the PCB as the first game, much less, home game of the year.

Pikeville will have to find some good linemen. Last year they were decent on the line, but they lost most of their experience and talent. Gage Morrison needs to be a monster this year with others to step up. Skill positions should be alright even though it will be next to impossible to replace Taylor Ratliff. If Maynard stays healthy, he may be able to will this team to 6-7 regular season wins.
Aug. 19th vs. Harlan 7:30
Aug. 27th vs. Harrison County 8:30 (Pike County Bowl)
Sep. 2nd vs. Raceland 7:30
Sep. 9th vs. Sheldon Clark 7:30
Sep. 16th @ Belfry 7:30
Sep. 24th @ Swain County, NC 2:00
Sep. 30th OPEN
Oct. 7th vs. South Floyd 7:30
Oct. 14th vs. Allen Central 7:30
Oct. 21st vs. Phelps 7:30
Oct. 28th vs. Shelby Valley 7:30

This schedule presents some good games for Pikeville Fans. No more Boyle County, LexCath, etc.. But some quality small class teams. And a trip to North Carolina for a Saturday game. If KHSAA is correct, that is EIGHT homes games. (Which I don't think it is. Phelps and South Floyd were home games last year.) Talk about some mileage next year. Enjoy it this year while we can.
Aug 19, 11 Harlan home

7:30 PM
Aug 27, 11 Harrison County at Belfry/Pikeville

8:30 PM Community Trust Bank Pike County Bowl
Sep 2, 11 Raceland home

Sep 9, 11 Sheldon Clark home

Sep 16, 11 Belfry away

Sep 24, 11 Swain County, NC away

2:00 PM
Oct 7, 11 South Floyd home

Oct 14, 11 Allen Central home

Oct 21, 11 Phelps home

Oct 28, 11 Shelby Valley home

They are correct on the North Carolina Game, it's also on Maxpreps on Swain County's schedule

Swain County, NC went 7-5 (2nd Round of NC Playoffs) there located in Bryson City.

According to Google, From Pikeville to Swain County High School it's between a 4 - 5 Hour drive
Strikeout King Wrote:They are correct on the North Carolina Game, it's also on Maxpreps on Swain County's schedule
I know that game is correct, i was wondering if the 8 home games was correct or not and I have my doubts lol.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I know that game is correct, i was wondering if the 8 home games was correct or not and I have my doubts lol.

according to highschoolsports.net they do have 8 Home Games with the 2 Away games being the 16th & 24th of Sep.
Swain County has a weird mascot, Maroon Devils
I always look forward to playing pikeville. but good luck the rest of the season
Belfry Insider Wrote:I always look forward to playing pikeville. but good luck the rest of the season

probally be like the last 7-8 yrs, lets hope not, but go Pirates..
cuppett777 Wrote:probally be like the last 7-8 yrs, lets hope not, but go Pirates..
Honestly, for the time being, it would make logical sense to not play it. But just the idea of the game and what it means to each side (or perhaps meant) is reason enough to keep 1 game like that on the schedule.
I'm really looking forward to coming over there again. I feel you all are a class act. Aside from that thrashing you guys gave us in the first quarter of the playoff game last year,I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I believe it will be a good game win or lose. Last year we had 14 sophomores and only 4 upper classmen that played much. This year we'll be a little better.I'm Looking forward to it. See ya there.
Dragonsdad Wrote:I'm really looking forward to coming over there again. I feel you all are a class act. Aside from that thrashing you guys gave us in the first quarter of the playoff game last year,I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I believe it will be a good game win or lose. Last year we had 14 sophomores and only 4 upper classmen that played much. This year we'll be a little better.I'm Looking forward to it. See ya there.
That soph. RB was a monster when he got the ball, but the hole was dug early and he wasn't able to just eat the clock while marching down the field. Should be a better game this time around. Pikeville struggled early season last year, hoepfully it will be more smooth this year, for the first time in 5 seasons the same coach from the previous year will be at the helm.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Honestly, for the time being, it would make logical sense to not play it. But just the idea of the game and what it means to each side (or perhaps meant) is reason enough to keep 1 game like that on the schedule.

your right there,plus its a 30min drive
Finally! A realistic looking schedule for this team! Yes Belfry and SC are tough outs for anyone. But we were comeptitive at SC last season. Where in the world did the Swain County game come from?!?!?! I might have to make a stop by the NASCAR Hall Of Fame on the way to that game! LOL! Both Harrison Co. and Raceland are going to be tough games but they are winnable. Coach Mac and staff are really turning the program around. Hes giving this program the stabilty it hasnt had since the mid 00s and that will make a BIG difference going forward!
Panther Thunder Wrote:I know that game is correct, i was wondering if the 8 home games was correct or not and I have my doubts lol.

The schedule with 8 games at Pikeville is correct. The Phelps game is actual a home game for Phelps (they get gate proceeds), but they are building the new school and will not have a football field to play on next year.
vgaacalj Wrote:The schedule with 8 games at Pikeville is correct. The Phelps game is actual a home game for Phelps (they get gate proceeds), but they are building the new school and will not have a football field to play on next year.
Thanks for explaining that. I think some of us (I know I did) forgot about the new school thing over there. Overall, I think this is a decent schedule. I definitely like seeing Raceland on there instead of Paintsville. That "rivalry" hasn't been a true rivalry in years on the field, time to replace them with someone who would make us better by playing them. I'm also wondering about the Swain game. I think it is great, but I'm curious what connection led to this being scheduled? I looked up the staff, don't think any of them are ex-PHS people. Maybe someone there had a connection with Coach Mac or another PHS coach in college or something as teammates?
Dragonsdad Wrote:I'm really looking forward to coming over there again. I feel you all are a class act. Aside from that thrashing you guys gave us in the first quarter of the playoff game last year,I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I believe it will be a good game win or lose. Last year we had 14 sophomores and only 4 upper classmen that played much. This year we'll be a little better.I'm Looking forward to it. See ya there.
That RB WAS a monster. I was happy we jumped out to the lead we did so (like PT said) y'all couldn't just march down the field eating the clock. Final score aside, it was a treat to watch that game, Harlan has some very good potential, will be keeping an eye on them this fall for sure! Good luck to you all.
Swain County is Bryson City isn't it?

For anyone going to that game I'd offer the suggestion of stopping by Fontana Lake while you are down that way. One of the prettiest lakes I have ever been to.
I'm with you on that one PHS Forever. What a game to kick off the season. If you asked any of the kids on Harlan's team which game they could go back and play over it would be the Pikeville game. They were young and in awe of their surroundings when they walked out onto the field that night. I gotta hand it to you guys the pregame was exciting. Looking very forward to coming back.
Strikeout King Wrote:according to highschoolsports.net they do have 8 Home Games with the 2 Away games being the 16th & 24th of Sep.

Just the opposite for the Raceland Rams. We have seven away games and just three home games. US 23 will be busy with Ram fams during football season. Going to Lawrence Co, Paintsville and Pikeville.
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:Just the opposite for the Raceland Rams. We have seven away games and just three home games. US 23 will be busy with Ram fams during football season. Going to Lawrence Co, Paintsville and Pikeville.

How is Raceland going to look this year? Looks like they lost a good QB, receiver and two good running backs to graduation. Will they have to rebuild or will they just reload?
jetpilot Wrote:How is Raceland going to look this year? Looks like they lost a good QB, receiver and two good running backs to graduation. Will they have to rebuild or will they just reload?

Nice to meet you jp.
The Rams strong points will be the offense and deffense line. Very experienced. Most of the year we had three and four underclass players starting. The running backs will be very good. We have our best back returning. And two other hard nosed backs returning. The linebacker core will be good along with the d-backs and corners. The big question will be at QB. The schedule will be tough as always. With the likes of Ashland, Pikeville, Lawrence Co, Russell, Fairview. The win/loss record may not reflect how good of a 1A team we are! May have to wait till the playoffs. Russell is a very big 2A. Ashland 4A, Lawerence Co I believe is a 4A not sure about that one. We also play 4A Greenup Co away. So it could be a challenge.
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:Nice to meet you jp.
The Rams strong points will be the offense and deffense line. Very experienced. Most of the year we had three and four underclass players starting. The running backs will be very good. We have our best back returning. And two other hard nosed backs returning. The linebacker core will be good along with the d-backs and corners. The big question will be at QB. The schedule will be tough as always. With the likes of Ashland, Pikeville, Lawrence Co, Russell, Fairview. The win/loss record may not reflect how good of a 1A team we are! May have to wait till the playoffs. Russell is a very big 2A. Ashland 4A, Lawerence Co I believe is a 4A not sure about that one. We also play 4A Greenup Co away. So it could be a challenge.

Nice to meet you as well Ram Fan. Thanks for the info. Pikeville lost some good players but has a lot coming back as well. I am expecting a top-notch Class A football game that will have a playoff type atmosphere.
jetpilot Wrote:Nice to meet you as well Ram Fan. Thanks for the info. Pikeville lost some good players but has a lot coming back as well. I am expecting a top-notch Class A football game that will have a playoff type atmosphere.

No doubt about the playoff atmosphere. There is a lot of respect for the football played down in that part of the state. Pikeville has excelent coaching and seems to always reload year after year. We always love playing the better teams in the state. I know we will have to play a great game to come out of Pikeville with a victory.
Whats up with no Pburg on the schedule this year?
Jon419 Wrote:Whats up with no Pburg on the schedule this year?
Neither team could find an open week.
I just heard that the Harlan vs Pikeville game has been moved to Saturday night and will be aired on t.v.. Anybody know if this is true or just a rumor?
Dragonsdad Wrote:I just heard that the Harlan vs Pikeville game has been moved to Saturday night and will be aired on t.v.. Anybody know if this is true or just a rumor?

I hope it's not true. Bigger crowd with no TV...