Poll: Rate The New Look of BGR
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Love It!
54.17%
It Needed a Upgrade, But Needs more work.
25.00%
Same
0%
Hate It,
20.83%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Site Look?
Real Badman Wrote:I cant curse ? -.-

The damn word filter should be gone.
Looks good.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:The damn word filter should be gone.

pretty confident that it all but is
Stardust Wrote:pretty confident that it all but is

You northerners cant read anyways
Other day I logged on and the site looked completely different. It was awesome, but as soon as I logged out and came back it went back to the old look. Any help?
HawksRule Wrote:Other day I logged on and the site looked completely different. It was awesome, but as soon as I logged out and came back it went back to the old look. Any help?

You may have got switched to the mobile view mine did it this morning.
I love it.. We got the League forum that I've been asking for since I got here!
Wildcatk23 Wrote:The damn word filter should be gone.
No, the word filter should not be gone. I have been very active in the past on what are basically un-moderated websites and given the choice between over-zealous moderators who are expected to set a good example and sites that have almost no standards, I prefer the former.

The new look is an improvement but the decision to remove the word filter and to not just lower the bar for acceptable moderator behavior but to remove it entirely makes the interface improvements irrelevant.

I left BGP a few years ago because there were two sets of rules for certain moderators and for regular members - but at least moderators were subject to some rules. Without rules, some moderators inevitably abuse the inconsequential power that they are given and drive paying members away.

Before that happens to me, I am taking voluntary leave from BGR and see if how things develop. I liked this website much better the way it was a few weeks ago. The pendulum has definitely swung too far the other way for my tastes. The moderator title needs to be stripped from a few loose cannons and a word filter of some kind resurrected.

I recognize that this is a private web site and free speech rights do not apply, so feel free to use those moderator powers of yours to delete this post or issue one of those life time bans if you want to flex those big moderator muscles of yours. :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No, the word filter should not be gone. I have been very active in the past on what are basically un-moderated websites and given the choice between over-zealous moderators who are expected to set a good example and sites that have almost no standards, I prefer the former.

The new look is an improvement but the decision to remove the word filter and to not just lower the bar for acceptable moderator behavior but to remove it entirely makes the interface improvements irrelevant.

I left BGP a few years ago because there were two sets of rules for certain moderators and for regular members - but at least moderators were subject to some rules. Without rules, some moderators inevitably abuse the inconsequential power that they are given and drive paying members away.

Before that happens to me, I am taking voluntary leave from BGR and see if how things develop. I liked this website much better the way it was a few weeks ago. The pendulum has definitely swung too far the other way for my tastes. The moderator title needs to be stripped from a few loose cannons and a word filter of some kind resurrected.

I recognize that this is a private web site and free speech rights do not apply, so feel free to use those moderator powers of yours to delete this post or issue one of those life time bans if you want to flex those big moderator muscles of yours. :biggrin:

Hoot, it's very fair to state your case. Much of the changes was expected to bring old members back to the site. I have yet to see that happen. It did for a week, but I do not see those members anymore. I'd ask that you not leave. You joined for your for all the right reasons. Cursing is for the uneducated who can't udder words without showing ignorance which by far you do not fit and are very educated. Your posts and comments such as this is very valuable. I'd hope that you do not leave due to this. If you want change, please help to influence the change.

Thx. SD
Stardust Wrote:Hoot, it's very fair to state your case. Much of the changes was expected to bring old members back to the site. I have yet to see that happen. It did for a week, but I do not see those members anymore. I'd ask that you not leave. You joined for your for all the right reasons. Cursing is for the uneducated who can't udder words without showing ignorance which by far you do not fit and are very educated. Your posts and comments such as this is very valuable. I'd hope that you do not leave due to this. If you want change, please help to influence the change.

Thx. SD
Thanks for your kind words, SD. You were the epitome of what a good moderator should be. I can say that now that you are not a moderator or admin without being accused of brown nosing. :biggrin:

I think that I probably enjoyed our debate over whether Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest player of all time more than any other since I have been here. I never once worried that disagreeing with you on any subject would result in you abusing your position.

In the interest of full disclosure, I want to say that I am going to be launching a new business soon and would not have much time to post here anyway, so it is a good opportunity to cast a vote with my feet on the recent BGR changes. If the advertising rates are reasonable, I may even return soon as a sponsor. (I was once an advertiser on BGP when we sold custom inlaid mirrored acrylic license plates.)

There is a place for wide-open web sites where anything goes but IMO, a high school sports forum is not that place. Nobody is going to to refuse to participate in a sports forum because moderators are barred from substituting four-letter words that they can spell for longer words that throw them for a loop. The reverse is not true.

But like I said, I am taking a voluntary leave and will probably return at some point. If not, I have thoroughly enjoyed the time that I have spent here. So, for awhile at least, Aslan will be able to update the Kobe Points Tracker thread in peace. :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No, the word filter should not be gone. I have been very active in the past on what are basically un-moderated websites and given the choice between over-zealous moderators who are expected to set a good example and sites that have almost no standards, I prefer the former.

There hasnt been 1 ban or Post deleted since the change. That is what was being cracked down on. Someone receiving a month ban for saying ass. There is a world filter being implemented. The user will have the choice to turn it off or on. But good luck with your business and good riddance. Smile
[quote=Wildcatk23]There hasnt been 1 ban or Post deleted since the change. That is what was being cracked down on. Someone receiving a month ban for saying ass. There is a world filter being implemented. The user will have the choice to turn it off or on. But good luck with your business and good riddance. Smile[/QUOTE]

See Wildcatk23 that part of your post is total arrogance. Hoot was very calm and evidently feels like so many others do about the change on here. I guess a few were right when they hit the nail on the head about the "moderators" so to speak. AND I do agree, where are all those old members now that they have received their upgraded status? M.I.A?
long_time_pirate Wrote:[quote=Wildcatk23]There hasnt been 1 ban or Post deleted since the change. That is what was being cracked down on. Someone receiving a month ban for saying ass. There is a world filter being implemented. The user will have the choice to turn it off or on. But good luck with your business and good riddance. Smile[/QUOTE]

See Wildcatk23 that part of your post is total arrogance. Hoot was very calm and evidently feels like so many others do about the change on here. I guess a few were right when they hit the nail on the head about the "moderators" so to speak. AND I do agree, where are all those old members now that they have received their upgraded status? M.I.A?

The Good Riddance part u clearly have no idea about. ME and hoot have had are arguments and debates in politics many of times and he knows that i love to debate with him and hope he stays. There is a thing called sarcasm in this world. As much as i dissagree with his points he cracks me up. I was a moderator with the last moderators.

Notice the Smiley face i gave him. And believe me, HE has had much worse said to him. MUCH MUCH worse.
The new MODS dont even hardly do anything. We was told we have no power. NONE. WE basically have a fancy thing beside our names. We dont delete post, ban, anything of that nature. We can approve messages and such, but nothing that intervenes with the site in anyway.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:There hasnt been 1 ban or Post deleted since the change. That is what was being cracked down on. Someone receiving a month ban for saying ass. There is a world filter being implemented. The user will have the choice to turn it off or on. But good luck with your business and good riddance. Smile

When is this going to happen? Hopefully very soon. It is honestly a little discouraging to log on to this site and try to discuss sports, politics, etc... without reading F-this and B-that. There was one post where nothing was even being sad to anyone and a user just started F-this piece of ____. I was thinking to myself, what has this place came to?

The decision was made and I live with it. I still enjoy the site, and will LOVE this site again when the optional word filter comes.

Also, a good suggestion would be that any user that registers with a school IP address, automatically start with it on, but have the choice to turn it off.

And I would make it very clear and simple for people to choose, during registration, whether or not to have a word filter on.

Either way, PLEASE let me know the day the word filter becomes available. I respect the posters on here because before the filter many people had intelligent things to say, now all you read is their potty-mouth.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Thanks for your kind words, SD. You were the epitome of what a good moderator should be. I can say that now that you are not a moderator or admin without being accused of brown nosing. :biggrin:

I think that I probably enjoyed our debate over whether Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest player of all time more than any other since I have been here. I never once worried that disagreeing with you on any subject would result in you abusing your position.

In the interest of full disclosure, I want to say that I am going to be launching a new business soon and would not have much time to post here anyway, so it is a good opportunity to cast a vote with my feet on the recent BGR changes. If the advertising rates are reasonable, I may even return soon as a sponsor. (I was once an advertiser on BGP when we sold custom inlaid mirrored acrylic license plates.)

There is a place for wide-open web sites where anything goes but IMO, a high school sports forum is not that place. Nobody is going to to refuse to participate in a sports forum because moderators are barred from substituting four-letter words that they can spell for longer words that throw them for a loop. The reverse is not true.

But like I said, I am taking a voluntary leave and will probably return at some point. If not, I have thoroughly enjoyed the time that I have spent here. So, for awhile at least, Aslan will be able to update the Kobe Points Tracker thread in peace. :biggrin:

Haha, I would honestly miss you constantly busting my chops about Kobe. :Thumbs:
Hoot, I HIGHLY recommend you not to depart. You've been a very consistent and honest poster to this site. And I for one will miss arguing with you about Kobe.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I really dislike it...way to many sub-groups. I just hope QQ doesn't decide to change the forum layout and colors...they're perfect the way they are.
^Agreed!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
long_time_pirate Wrote:[quote=Wildcatk23]There hasnt been 1 ban or Post deleted since the change. That is what was being cracked down on. Someone receiving a month ban for saying ass. There is a world filter being implemented. The user will have the choice to turn it off or on. But good luck with your business and good riddance. Smile[/QUOTE]

:Thumbs:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Thanks for your kind words, SD. You were the epitome of what a good moderator should be. I can say that now that you are not a moderator or admin without being accused of brown nosing. :biggrin:

Good luck my firiend, you are truly one of the good guys and some one who "Gets It"!
lol Hoot, I'll miss the awesomely thoughtful ways you insult democrats/Pres Obama, or anything else for that matter. They're great.
For those who are wondering, the delivery of my laser engraving equipment is running a couple of days behind schedule, so I am putting my bread from BGR off for a few more days.

I also wanted to comment on the idea of a voluntary word filter. What purpose would such a thing serve? If somebody calls you a ******* ****** ******, most people are going to temporarily turn off their word filter and find out how angry they should be.

I don't think that many people are offended at the sight of words that were blocked, especially when they are not directed at anybody in particular - but allowing the unrestricted use of "fighting words" in a high schools sports forum just seems to be asking for trouble, IMO.