Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Preseason 2A
Thoughts? Mine goes something like this.

1. Newport Central Catholic
2. Lexington Christian
3. Owensboro Catholic
4. Prestonsburg
5. Somerset
6. Covington Holy Cross
7. Desales
8. Murray
9. Danville
10. Washington County
Danville at 9th? I thought Danville along with Newport Catholic was the preseason favorites for 2A. Maybe I was mistaken. Either way you slice it, 9th is still way too low considering they are a top 5 team.
Not sure what Union County has coming back, but they drop down to 2A from 3A and they have been a tough as nails competitor in the west for the past three years.
I agree with all the teams in blackcat fans rankings, just in a different order

1. Somerset
2. Danville
3. Owensboro Catholic
4. Newport Central Catholic
5. Covington Holy Cross
6. Lexington Christian
7. Prestonsburg
8. Louisville DeSales
9. Murray
10. Washington County
NCC has huge shoes to fill with the losses of Chris Kelly, Jake Geisler and Jake Cain
1. NCC
2. Somerset
3. Danville
4. O'Cath
5. Lexington Christian
6. Prestonsburg
7. Union County
8. Covington Holy Cross
9. Desales
10. Murray

Thought about putting Danville ahead of Somerset based on what the two teams lost, but Danville will have to prove to me they belong on the field with a Robbie Lucas Somerset team before I give them those props.
Glasgow is a team that returns lots of talent but were upset in forst round of playoffs last season. Green Co. is also a team with alot of talent returning, and they have regular season no district games with both Danville and LCA!!!! I think as deep goes 2A maybe the toughest in the state because each district generally has 2 good teams.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Glasgow is a team that returns lots of talent but were upset in forst round of playoffs last season. Green Co. is also a team with alot of talent returning, and they have regular season no district games with both Danville and LCA!!!! I think as deep goes 2A maybe the toughest in the state because each district generally has 2 good teams.
Green County coach Griffiths is a great guy. Very knowledgeable. I'm not surprised he gets a lot out of his talent.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Glasgow is a team that returns lots of talent but were upset in forst round of playoffs last season. Green Co. is also a team with alot of talent returning, and they have regular season no district games with both Danville and LCA!!!! I think as deep goes 2A maybe the toughest in the state because each district generally has 2 good teams.

Somerset plays Glasgow in the non district this year also. 2A is going to be tough this year. Definitely Glasgow and Green Co. deserve at least a mention.
1. NCC
2. Owensboro Catholic
3. Prestonburg
4. Washington County
5. Desales
6. Murray
7. Covington Holy Cross
8. Green County
9. Union County
10. Danville
1 Danville
2 Somerset
3 Owensboro Cath.
4 Desales
5 Prestonsburg
6 NCC
7 Lexington Christian
8 Covington Holy Cross
9 Washington County
10 Murry
pay now Wrote:1. NCC
2. Owensboro Catholic
3. Prestonburg
4. Washington County
5. Desales
6. Murray
7. Covington Holy Cross
8. Green County
9. Union County
10. Danville

I would move Danville up as they will have one of the best RB in the state and return lots of talent. Washington would not be in my top 10 they are going though a major transition losing their head coach and 2 assistant coaches.
RoShamBo Wrote:Somerset plays Glasgow in the non district this year also. 2A is going to be tough this year. Definitely Glasgow and Green Co. deserve at least a mention.

I would love to see that Glasgow Somerset game i will try to make that one
Tica Wrote:Not sure what Union County has coming back, but they drop down to 2A from 3A and they have been a tough as nails competitor in the west for the past three years.

they dont ever make it out of 2nd round, they will prob fare no better n 2a,Murray or Ocath will beat them easy.
Stardust Wrote:NCC has huge shoes to fill with the losses of Chris Kelly, Jake Geisler and Jake Cain

they did lose alot, im still undecided on if they'll win their own district. Holy Cross lost 5 of their starters from last year, even though 3 of them accounted for 70% of their offense.
I thought Somerset graduated majority of their players. Could be wrong though.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I thought Somerset graduated majority of their players. Could be wrong though.

They graduate a lot I wouldn't say a majority of their players. I think they graduated 19 this past year and 16 the year before but that is about the average number of players per class anymore at Somerset. They don't suffer from a lack of numbers like they used to. Plus they return all-state receiver Storm Wilson and their #1 RB from last year in Alex Lange. Don't count on the Jumpers having too down of a year this season.

I do expect Union County to be a tough team in 2A. Granted they never made it past the 2nd round in 3A but they were also in district with Tilghman. They actually beat Tilghman in the regular season before they went on to win it all a couple years ago.
Somerset has a crazy tough schedule (@hazard, @Perry, @breathitt, @Glasgow, @Whitley, @Middlesboro, Danville, Lex Christian, Pulaski and one of the Jessamines) this year and will probably take some lumps, but should be ready to go in the playoffs.

Danville is Danville they are never to be counted out or even down, same with NCC.

2A might be one of the most competitive and balanced classes in the state this year.
Glasgow might be the team to beat.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Somerset has a crazy tough schedule (@hazard, @Perry, @breathitt, @Glasgow, @Whitley, @Middlesboro, Danville, Lex Christian, Pulaski and one of the Jessamines) this year and will probably take some lumps, but should be ready to go in the playoffs.

Danville is Danville they are never to be counted out or even down, same with NCC.

2A might be one of the most competitive and balanced classes in the state this year.

What week/date is the Somerset Glasgow game?
Jumper Dad Wrote:Somerset has a crazy tough schedule (@hazard, @Perry, @breathitt, @Glasgow, @Whitley, @Middlesboro, Danville, Lex Christian, Pulaski and one of the Jessamines) this year and will probably take some lumps, but should be ready to go in the playoffs.

Somerset plays @ West Jessamine on Aug. 19th for the Season Opener
Since I have been following Eastern KY football, I am always amazed at the strong teams Prestonsburg fields each and every season. They seem to consistently have good talent and obviously a great coach.

I believe that they will do well again this coming season.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:What week/date is the Somerset Glasgow game?

I think this is the order of their games

Lex Cath Scrimmage (@ Paris)

@ West Jess Aug 19
Pulaski @ Correll Bowl Aug 26
Open Sept 2
@ Hazard Sept 9
@ Breathitt Sept 16
Glasgow Sept 23
@ Whitley Sept 30
Danville * Oct 7
@ Lex Christian * Oct 14
Middlesboro * Oct 21
@ Perry Central Oct 28

* District Games
This is one of the hardest classes to rank a preseason top 10

1 NCC- Champs
2 Owensboro Cath runners up
3 Somerset
4 Danville
5 LCA
6 Glasgow
7 Murray
8 Desales
9 Prestonsburg
10 Holy Cross (COV)
Tica Wrote:Not sure what Union County has coming back, but they drop down to 2A from 3A and they have been a tough as nails competitor in the west for the past three years.

Union lost over 10 great seniors after self exploding against russellville which they dominated the first half in... and Union has made it to the Semifinals vs Central in 08 and scored the most against central with 28 points in that game when central had the #3 defense in the state next to X&T. However, Union has alot of rebuilding to do, especially on the line. They will be good in 2-3 years if coaching stays the same and will have a shot at the title without a doubt given the atheticism the freshman and sophmores have. They return a key starter in Kren Rister at QB but other than that they have work to do. i expect a 6-7 win season easily with the move to 2A.
1. NewCath
2. Owensboro Catholic
3. Danville
4. Glasgow
5. Corbin
6. LCA
7. Somerset
8. Prestonsburg
9. Murray
10. Green County
I believe Corbin is 3A now.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I believe Corbin is 3A now.

You're right.
1.NCC
2.Somerset
3.OC
4.Danville
5.Pburg
6.Cov holy
7.murray
8.Washington county
9.Desales
10.Union county
Somerset, Danville, NCC, OC.....will be a heck of a run in 2A this year, wow