Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are all the "Mountain Schools"?
This question sort of came up on another thread and it seems that there is a little fuzziness when it comes to the borders. Tell me if I am wrong but didn't WYMT News come up with the term several years back on the sports overtime show? I know that they always have a top ten list throughout the season and it seems to me, at least, that the diverse number of teams continues to grow on a yearly basis. What are the criteria for being considered a "mountain team". Southeastern Kentucky, Mid and southeastern, east of I-75, what is it? Somewhere there has to be a list of "mountain teams" to draw from. Somebody fill me in.
I'm not sure of the specific northern boundary for "mountain" teams, but pretty sure the western boundary lies somewhere between Mount Vernon and Somerset.

Almost everyone agrees that Rockcastle County is a mountain team, but there's lots of disagreement about the Jumpers.

Me? I'm a purist. Somerset is in central KY.
if you figure it out PM me i would like to know. i think there has been at least 2 threads on this issue.
Gitback Coach Wrote:I'm not sure of the specific northern boundary for "mountain" teams, but pretty sure the western boundary lies somewhere between Mount Vernon and Somerset.

Almost everyone agrees that Rockcastle County is a mountain team, but there's lots of disagreement about the Jumpers.

Me? I'm a purist. Somerset is in central KY.

Agreed. Somerset is in WYMT coverage area so they are included in the mountain top 10 and Sports Overtime, but I can't consider any of the old CKC teams anything other than Central Ky. Plus, Pulaski Co. is a little less than mountainous. I would agree that Rockcastle is a mountain team.
Sort of like defining Western Kentucky. For some, it starts at I-65 and for others, it's the Pennyrile Parkway. But I have seen counties to the east of I-65 also referred to as being 'western.'
I have always considered it the WYMT Coverage area.
Dragonsdad Wrote:I know that they always have a top ten list throughout the season and it seems to me, at least, that the diverse number of teams continues to grow on a yearly basis. in.

I haven't noticed the number of teams growing since the last merger of the Pulaski County schools about 5 years ago. Mainly because WYMT became a local channel in that area I suppose. I think acknowledging every school that WYMT features should be a mountain school. As far West as they go is Pulaski County. It gets tricky up North because they cover Lawrence County, but not so much Rowan, Ashland, Greenup.

Add to the list; If I miss. Football Only.

Belfry
Bell County
Betsy Lane
Breathitt County
Clay County
Corbin
East Ridge
Estill County
Harlan Ind.
Harlan County
Hazard
Jackson County
Jenkins
Johnson Central
Knott County Central
Knox Central
Lawrence County
Leslie County
Letcher County Central
Lynn Camp
Magoffin County
Middlesboro
North Laurel
Paintsville
Perry County Central
Phelps
Pike County Central
Pikeville
Pineville
Prestonsburg
Pulaski County
Rockcastle County
Russell
Shelby Valley
Sheldon Clark
Somerset
South Laurel
Southwestern Pulaski
Whitley County
Williamsburg

I cannot remember if Wayne County, Powell County, Fleming County are featured teams or not. Teams in Madison County and Lincoln County will begin district play with a lot of MTN teams this year, so they may get footage but not featured.
3wishes Wrote:I haven't noticed the number of teams growing since the last merger of the Pulaski County schools about 5 years ago. Mainly because WYMT became a local channel in that area I suppose. I think acknowledging every school that WYMT features should be a mountain school. As far West as they go is Pulaski County. It gets tricky up North because they cover Lawrence County, but not so much Rowan, Ashland, Greenup.

Belfry
Bell County
Betsy Lane
Breathitt County
Clay County
Corbin
East Ridge
Estill County
Harlan Ind.
Harlan County
Hazard
Jackson County
Jenkins
Johnson Central
Knott County Central
Knox Central
Lawrence County
Leslie County
Letcher County Central
Lynn Camp
Magoffin County
Middlesboro
North Laurel
Paintsville
Perry County Central
Phelps
Pike County Central
Pikeville
Pineville
Prestonsburg
Pulaski County
Rockcastle County
RussellShelby Valley
Sheldon Clark
Somerset
South Laurel
Southwestern Pulaski
Whitley County
Williamsburg

I cannot remember if Wayne County, Powell County, Fleming County are featured teams or not. Teams in Madison County and Lincoln County will begin district play with a lot of MTN teams this year, so they may get footage but not featured.

This is why I do not like the term "Mountain School" You listed Russell as a "Mountain School". You did not list Raceland (2-3 miles from Russell and in the same county), Greenup Co (7-8 miles from Russell and in the same county), Fairview (4 miles from Russell), Ashland (7-8 miles from Russell), and Boyd Co. (10-12 miles from Russell).
There is so much grey area to what a "Mountain School" is. What is wrong with drawing a line at the Mongomery County/Bath County line and saying anything east and call it Eastern Kentucky, which is where the so called Mountain Schools are located. This will take away a lot of confusion.
3wishes Wrote:I haven't noticed the number of teams growing since the last merger of the Pulaski County schools about 5 years ago. Mainly because WYMT became a local channel in that area I suppose. I think acknowledging every school that WYMT features should be a mountain school. As far West as they go is Pulaski County. It gets tricky up North because they cover Lawrence County, but not so much Rowan, Ashland, Greenup.

Belfry
Bell County
Betsy Lane
Breathitt County
Clay County
Corbin
East Ridge
Estill County
Harlan Ind.
Harlan County
Hazard
Jackson County
Jenkins
Johnson Central
Knott County Central
Knox Central
Lawrence County
Leslie County
Letcher County Central
Lynn Camp
Magoffin County
Middlesboro
North Laurel
Paintsville
Perry County Central
Phelps
Pike County Central
Pikeville
Pineville
Prestonsburg
Pulaski County
Rockcastle County
Russell
Shelby Valley
Sheldon Clark
Somerset
South Laurel
Southwestern Pulaski
Whitley County
Williamsburg

I think you missed Bath and Morgan Counties. No way is Russell a mountain school. And no way is Fleming County a mountain school. They were a part of the 10th region at one time for Pete's sake!
I have found out that they serve 20 counties in eastern,southeastern and southcentral kentucky,but that thier coverage goes into far eastern Lexington. They are not considering Madison Co. a mountain school so there must be a boundary. But, I don't think you technically have to be located in the mountains. Confusing.
I have always gone with WYMT coverage area.
Everyone makes this much too complicated.
The Courier Journal, I believe, used to describe mountain schools as those in the 13th, 14th and 15th regions in basketball/baseball. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close and very simple to remember.
I think that pretty much sums up mountain schools.. Like HDE said, those regions make -up the mountain schools.. Pulaski Co. Shouldn't be included...
Well for the most part there wasn't a "Mountain Top 10" or regional list of any kind until WYMT. I think this is purely a WYMT viewing area thing. If WYMT covers your team due to being in their area you are a "Mountain Team". This has little to do with geography and everything to do with ratings. If NE KY, (Ashland Area) doesn't get WYMT then why would they waste time and energy cover those teams and highlighting them.

WYMT Sports Overtime is the most watched Friday night show for HS Football (in this area) for one reason, if you get WYMT on your TV they are going to cover your local teams.

While Somerset, Pulaski Southwestern are not by any stretch in the mountains, they do get covered by WYMT, Local Cable carries WYMT and local businesses advertise on WYMT.

With Corbin and Bell Co. nowing coming out of the WESTERN half of the state to get to the state finals does that mean they aren't MT Teams? NO!

Do Lex Christian and Danville become MT Teams now that they are playing in a half Mountain District? No.

IT'S ALL ABOUT WYMT!!!
I think you are right up to a paricular point,Jumperdad. Where it goes astray,though,is that WYMT airs in Madison Co. and eastern sections of Fayette Co. and the teams in those areas are not considered mountain teams. For me,for the most part,there used to be alittle bit of pride that went along with being considered a "mountain team". A certain comradery that you felt. Almost like being part of a distinct,elite group. If it comes down to just a viewing area thing then it means nothing to be a "mountain team",because,WYMT's area will expand and more teams in unmountainous areas will be included. IF WYMT can air in Madison and Fayette Co. and not include those teams,then they can put a boundary on the "mountain teams". But, it all may just be silly and I may be alone in my sentiments. Just say'in.
We had mountains and mountain schools a long time before WYMT. They do a great job, but the KHSAA regions have been around a lot longer, even if they do change a little at times.
HDE Wrote:We had mountains and mountain schools a long time before WYMT. They do a great job, but the KHSAA regions have been around a lot longer, even if they do change a little at times.

I agree with the 13th, 14th and 15th Regions logic, however, I think Rockcastle County has to be counted too, being in the 12th. They were in the 13th for a very long time and just got switched a few years back. Rock is the only school that is in question that is not in one of the three regions listed.
Really, I don't see what would be wrong with having every county south I-64 and east of I-75 as a boundary. It's pretty much that way now.
WYMT Viewing area
Dragonsdad Wrote:Really, I don't see what would be wrong with having every county south I-64 and east of I-75 as a boundary. It's pretty much that way now.

For the most part... but that mean Clark County, Madison Central, Berea, and Madison Southern are Mountain Schools, but Rockcastle County is not.
Dragonsdad Wrote:Really, I don't see what would be wrong with having every county south I-64 and east of I-75 as a boundary. It's pretty much that way now.

with that line of reasoning you have the richmond schools, clark county high schools in the mountains and rockcastle out. i think i would disagree with that. the I64/I75 border is good to get the rough outline, but i think there are several exceptions to that line.
I guess we delete Estill co. from 3wishes list and we have it.
3wishes Wrote:I agree with the 13th, 14th and 15th Regions logic, however, I think Rockcastle County has to be counted too, being in the 12th. They were in the 13th for a very long time and just got switched a few years back. Rock is the only school that is in question that is not in one of the three regions listed.

I agree with 3wishes. 13th, 14th, 15th, plus Rock
IMO, it is any school included in the WYMT coverage area!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
rock was in the 13th regon until just a few years ago ..dont really know why we went to 12th but i still think we will always be considered a mountain school we also get WYMT on cable tv
RockHard20 Wrote:rock was in the 13th regon until just a few years ago ..dont really know why we went to 12th but i still think we will always be considered a mountain school we also get WYMT on cable tv
Cable TV? Wow, do you have running water?:thatsfunn
meat loaf Wrote:Cable TV? Wow, do you have running water?:thatsfunn

Ha Ha Ha, if you live in Rockcastle County and have cable tv in Mt. Vernon, you get WYMT. Brodhead cable does not have WYMT nor do the satellite companies. Basically to get WYMT you have to have a certain cable company.
This is the easiest way to define it....
Whatever WYMT covers.
The term "mountain" schools, does not mean you have to have mountains all around, hence pulaski county schools, however im sure Derrick could get on here someday and list all of the ones they cover and consider mountain schools as im sure they have a list and so they know where to go and who to cover.
Most people define it as east of I-75 or right off of it such as Rockcastle and the Whitley Co schools and south of Ashland, with the exception of the three pulaski county schools
believe it or not yes we have running water !!! lol
I consider "mountain teams" to be teams whose schools are located in close proximity to mountains, or steep hills. That definition includes such teams as Morgan County, Greenup County, Lawrence County, East Carter, West Carter, Russell, Ashland, Raceland, Fairview, and Rowan County.

The fact that WYMT does not cover a team because of limits on how far its signal carries and which cable companies carry it has nothing to do with placing a school in the mountains or not. Those teams in its coverage area are WYMT Mountain teams. Anybody who has traveled around the Boyd/Greenup/Lawrence County area knows that you are never out of sight of what most people would call "mountains." If you can see a mountain from the roof of a school, then it is a mountain school.