•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher County Central 2011
What about the smith kid not heard much about him this year. Is he still there or has he move to hazard. Heard that he was thinking about going there or to Knott County.
LCC AD is a legend he was the top vote getter in his class election into the KHSAA Hall of Fame & Randy Frazier is also a legend, Ozz was Randy's Head Basketball coach at WHS & his Asst. Coach in football, but it is true that Ozz & Randy had a serious disagreement when Randy brought his Cumberland team to Whitesburg in '94. Randy left the Cumberland program due to off the field activities that school officials thought didn't reflect well on the school, Randy had had a great team & great repoire with his players!
I do agree that Ozz Jackson is a legend in his profession. He has done wonderful at Letcher Central, but I really do feel like some decision that were made was not done with careful consideration. There should have been a little bit more due process to get a coach to replace Hillard Howard. I really feel like there should have been a lot more input from players, the community and bias committee. I have been really negative toward out current coach and I still feel like he isn't the coach that is going to lead us to a successful season. There is too many stories that I have heard from players who are still up there and some that are gone. Be as it may I am still willing to give our Coach one more year though, but that is it. I really feel like there are too much things going on so privately that you really don't know if any due process was done in hiring coaches, and reasons for firing coaches. As for the players I really hope they put in the work this summer and get fired up about the season at hand. Don't do it for anyone but your team first, fans second and lastly for yourself. The season is what YOU make of it. I am sorry if I have step on Oz's and Coach Whitakers toes, but I really type how I feel. If you disagree with me it is ok, I have no reason to sugar coat my words as I have no kids up there on the hill. I would love for the Cougars to once again get COUGARAMA going up there on that field, and bring a district and regional title back to Ermine. It is going to take some serious gut checking by our players. I know they are strong, but they need to be strong together as ONE! GO COUGARS!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:I do agree that Ozz Jackson is a legend in his profession. He has done wonderful at Letcher Central, but I really do feel like some decision that were made was not done with careful consideration. There should have been a little bit more due process to get a coach to replace Hillard Howard. I really feel like there should have been a lot more input from players, the community and bias committee. I have been really negative toward out current coach and I still feel like he isn't the coach that is going to lead us to a successful season. There is too many stories that I have heard from players who are still up there and some that are gone. Be as it may I am still willing to give our Coach one more year though, but that is it. I really feel like there are too much things going on so privately that you really don't know if any due process was done in hiring coaches, and reasons for firing coaches. As for the players I really hope they put in the work this summer and get fired up about the season at hand. Don't do it for anyone but your team first, fans second and lastly for yourself. The season is what YOU make of it. I am sorry if I have step on Oz's and Coach Whitakers toes, but I really type how I feel. If you disagree with me it is ok, I have no reason to sugar coat my words as I have no kids up there on the hill. I would love for the Cougars to once again get COUGARAMA going up there on that field, and bring a district and regional title back to Ermine. It is going to take some serious gut checking by our players. I know they are strong, but they need to be strong together as ONE! GO COUGARS!

Whitakers resume looks like this 68% winning Leslie,Corbin,Christian
Leslie County 36-12 built this program
Corbin 29-16 rebuilt this program after 2 straight 6-5 seasons prior
Christian Co. 49-25 rebuit this program that had won only 3 games in
2 seasons prior
Powell Co first winning season in history in only 2 years

All at once this guy can't coach, "get real" Who would you have hired genius. If you support the cougars you must support the players and coaches both and we know you don't. DUE PROCESS?
My only problem with him is he is loosing the trust in his players. I have talked to players the past two weeks, and when I ask are they ready for the season there isn't any enthusiasm. Letcher Central didn't need rebuilding. They was ready for a regional championship, and had the talent. I don't care what coach you have, if you lost your ability to get trust and commitment from your players, then it is over.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Cougarpride, you hit the nail right on the head!!! No beating around the bush with you!!!
#1cougarfan,there are a lot of the players considering their options at this point.

When your 5A school don't have enough to field a team it sure won't look good on a resume now will it.
Why sugar coat it? I have no reason to do that. My son is still in Kindergarten. It will be a while before he has to worry about what those kids are going through.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Cougar Pride '08 you need to stop bashing the coaches and team-instead get behind them and support them. Get off this team's back. I think this team will be ok some of the fans think that the schedule is soft. But, what I have seen it is no softer than when Hillard was here .I HOPE THAT LAST YEAR IS OVER GET READY FOR THIS YEAR GO COUGARS!!
GRIFFIN Wrote:Cougar Pride '08 you need to stop bashing the coaches and team-instead get behind them and support them. Get off this team's back. I think this team will be ok some of the fans think that the schedule is soft. But, what I have seen it is no softer than when Hillard was here .I HOPE THAT LAST YEAR IS OVER GET READY FOR THIS YEAR GO COUGARS!!

well said Griffin :Thumbs:
cougarpride08 Wrote:If I am not mistaken Highlands has a lot of weight lifting the week after they won state. That is the kind of dedication that any school needs to push.

That is accurate, although it is not part of the formal weight lifting program. It is player ran and voluntary, although most of the players are present. There is a coach present because the school requires a coach to be present any time any one is lifting for liability reasons. The formal weight lifting program begins in January with most of the coaches in attendance.
I haven't not once bashed players. I am just concern with the fact 5 current players looked me in the eye and already said they will not do good this year. How am I suppose to interpreted those comments. There is also some other choice words they used. My point is not bashing, but commenting that it is very important to have your football players excited and zealous about the football season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

The players were put out of the weight room AGAIN yesterday before their lineman coach could get there. He tries to work with them some extra after school twice a week after he gets off work. The defensive coach wouldn't stay with the players that extra 20 minutes until the lineman coach can get there. He locks the weight room and makes them leave the field. I know these kids would love to have the opportunity to get stronger and to work hard together and become a team but you can't wait until July to start.
guru Wrote:the players were put out of the weight room again yesterday before their lineman coach could get there. He tries to work with them some extra after school twice a week after he gets off work. The defensive coach wouldn't stay with the players that extra 20 minutes until the lineman coach can get there. He locks the weight room and makes them leave the field. I know these kids would love to have the opportunity to get stronger and to work hard together and become a team but you can't wait until july to start.

wow
I believe that the defensive coach you mentioned is now the ex defensive coach, I do not think he was hired back as a coach or teacher.
58fan Wrote:I believe that the defensive coach you mentioned is now the ex defensive coach, I do not think he was hired back as a coach or teacher.

Who is running the defense now?
Do not know!!!!!!!! I feel they need to get someone soon...Have heard rumors but can not get them confirmed
it seems crazy to think that with 7/7 practices beginning soon that they do not have someone in place.
And yet there is still some out there that think everything is ok in cougar land, but I guess I am not the only one who see's there is a problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I hope no one sees my posts as being negative, just stating a fact about the defensive coordinator. I have a son that plays on this team and I hope they come back strong and begin and continue to play up to their talent
gUrU Wrote:The players were put out of the weight room AGAIN yesterday before their lineman coach could get there. He tries to work with them some extra after school twice a week after he gets off work. The defensive coach wouldn't stay with the players that extra 20 minutes until the lineman coach can get there. He locks the weight room and makes them leave the field. I know these kids would love to have the opportunity to get stronger and to work hard together and become a team but you can't wait until July to start.

It is hard for me comprehend why all the coaches are not there after school with the boys. If the coaches are not fired up about it, how do expect the team to be fired up?
:eyeroll::yawn: Smile I really hope that everyone that has said negative things about me and my comments can explain what they would do if that was there son up there and they can't even use the weight room. Go ahead and give us the reason.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

gUrU Wrote:The players were put out of the weight room AGAIN yesterday before their lineman coach could get there. He tries to work with them some extra after school twice a week after he gets off work. The defensive coach wouldn't stay with the players that extra 20 minutes until the lineman coach can get there. He locks the weight room and makes them leave the field. I know these kids would love to have the opportunity to get stronger and to work hard together and become a team but you can't wait until July to start.

So if I understand your post correctly: a coach was present for the normal weight lifting session. When it was over and the kids were finished with their normal weight lifting session, the last coach there had to leave. Another coach was going to come later to allow some kids that wanted to stay longer keep lifting. But the other coach couldn't stay there (for reasons not disclosed on here) long enough to wait for the coach on his way. If my understanding is correct, seems like the normal weight lifting session occurred and no one is waiting until July to start. But perhaps I misunderstood your post.

Folks, I have no idea what's going on in Cougar land, but I do know there is a smart way to go about making change and there is a way that does more harm than good. Complaining about problems in your program on message boards does more harm than good in my observations over the years. Seems like there are enough disgruntled fans and parents posting on here to arrange a meeting with the Coach, the AD, the Principal and/or the Super and have some changes made. With all the transfer happening these days, Principals and Supers worry about lost ADA money.
I understand your point, but I am not going to post what I don't believe. Am I excited about the season "yes". Do I think we are calable of winning "yes". Do I feel like these kids are being treated fair "no". I will leave it at that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:I understand your point, but I am not going to post what I don't believe. Am I excited about the season "yes". Do I think we are calable of winning "yes". Do I feel like these kids are being treated fair "no". I will leave it at that.

Then just don't post on the subject.
Well I was the one who started this thread and really the intentions of the thread was to get a feel about who all was coming back on the team. I really just wanted everyone's view, and I really didn't want it to get this bad on the thread. I will keep my comments and how I feel to myself, and for the good of keeping everyone happy, I will try to keep my comments directed toward the season. I want this team to do good more than any cougar fan, and I will leave the suggestions to the ones who is up there on the hill. If it don't work then it is on them. All I want is those young men up there to give 100% to there program and the coaches to. These kids should look up to the coaches and I hope they do. Whatever the problems and issues they have, I really wish like you said Charlie22 to get together and figure out what the issue is. We should not be talking about this with two months left till the season starts. Our neighboring counties is not having this problem and all I wanted was to see those boys work hard at getting back where they was at. I really do wish that last season is the last time we get that bad for a long time. It has to take four things for it to work. 1)Players have to commit themselves to this program, and if they can't lift at a certain time, then they need to find somewhere they can. If they can't condition at the field, then use the one at West Whitesburg. 2)Coaches have to be a father figure to these kids. I don't care if they do bad, then you better take care of them and there families. Winning is the main goal, but the relationships you have with players, and there families last a lifetime. Don't tarnish it or it will bite you in the tail. 3)Administration has to give support to all athletics, but especially the ones you invested the most money in. These team can help you with revenue or they can hurt you. 4)Fans and booster have to help this team feel special. I am just a guilty as some others in here. I will stick to just cheer and root this team on. I got carried up in what was told to me, and let my emotions get the best of me. The rest of the fans that felt my frustration know what I felt, but at the same time should try to motivate the players and give them support. All in all I really do apologize to all parties who I offend, and I will try to be the best cougarama supporter and fan there is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Don't beat yourself up cougarpride08. Everyone was devastated by EVERYTHING that went on with Cougar Football. Just keeeping quiet and not getting things out in the open will not fix the problem. With a softer schedule things will look a little better next season. I think everyone supports the boys but are disgusted with they have to deal with.
As long as they are support for those young men they have a chance to win.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Cougarpride 08,
Don't beat yourself up so much. You were just stating your opinion and everyone is allowed to have one. I've read back through this particular thread and honestly I don't see where you have done anything wrong. Sure you have pointed out some things that you feel needs to be addressed and that's your right as a fan, you pay to get in on Friday nights just like everyone else. Your a hardworking taxpayer and I can understand that you want your tax dollars spent in the best way for the kids of this community. People act like it's a biblical sin to question Ozz and our board of education on anything dealing with sports but maybe that's what needs to be done in this case. I do not completely agree with you on some of your points but like I said, you have the right to post your opinion on whatever you want as long as it stays within the guidelines of BGR.
I really do appreciate your honesty. All I want is for this team is do good, and I really truly believe that it starts with how you treat players, and everyone that is involved including players families and booster. Those are the meat and taters of the football program. I can really see where some of the things I say will offend everyone, but we really need to get the air clear before sunny skies can come alone. I am not subject to talk about what can be done as a program to get better but what do we have individually that we have this year that can start the process? What are we doing in the off season? Those are some questions that really need to be addressed as a program. Just remember that my statements are based on "The Program", and that is what we need to focus on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Lambert #1 Wrote:Cougarpride 08,
Don't beat yourself up so much. You were just stating your opinion and everyone is allowed to have one. I've read back through this particular thread and honestly I don't see where you have done anything wrong. Sure you have pointed out some things that you feel needs to be addressed and that's your right as a fan, you pay to get in on Friday nights just like everyone else. Your a hardworking taxpayer and I can understand that you want your tax dollars spent in the best way for the kids of this community. People act like it's a biblical sin to question Ozz and our board of education on anything dealing with sports but maybe that's what needs to be done in this case. I do not completely agree with you on some of your points but like I said, you have the right to post your opinion on whatever you want as long as it stays within the guidelines of BGR.

I'll try again. First no one said he didn't have a right to post his thoughts and opinions, so we can stop that silly stuff right now.

What I've said is that expressing opinions as to what is wrong with LCC on a message board is not likely to result in positive change. If anything it wil creates dissension and controversy in the program, and as a result the whole program suffers. Perhaps that's the goal: create so much controversy and dissension that the program sinks so low that the coach gets fired. I hope not as that's really unfiar to the players on this year's team.

If 08 has a problem with the coach or how the weight room is being ran, my advise is that he takes that problem to the people who can rectify the problem; not air the dirty linen on a message board to people that can't change a thing.

But yeah, he has the right to express his opinion. The question is: does expressing it help solve anything? I don't think so.

Only reason I posted in this thread is that I hate to see any program and kids suffer because of controversy that could be avoided by using a little discretion and taking problems to those that can solve it. But if 08 and the others want to keep posting their opinions by all means go ahead. Won't affect the team I support and follow a lick.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next