Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knott County Central 4 - Pikeville 3 (Hazard Invitational)
Final From The Hazard Invitational

UPSET!!!!!!!
Great win for Knott, I know Pikeville was ranked in the top 25 in the state.Who pitched for KCC?
MVP2 Wrote:Great win for Knott, I know Pikeville was ranked in the top 25 in the state.Who pitched for KCC?

That idk just caught the score off KHSAA
In the words that a much older and wiser buddy of mine used to say:
"We can't be losing to these fly-by-night organizations."
Pikeville was Ranked 21st
The word on the street is that Pikeville handed the game over by a coaching decision. Is this true?!?
Congrats Knott. King started for KCC and Potter closed.
jetpilot Wrote:In the words that a much older and wiser buddy of mine used to say:
"We can't be losing to these fly-by-night organizations."

"fly by night??" say what you want, Knott beat Pikeville tonight. Knott gave Pikeville 3 runs and then Pikeville gave them 2 in the 7th.
This was a good ball game between 2 good teams. To throw insults around after a loss makes you look bad. Pikeville has a very good team and I won't respond to your comment by putting them down. The players and coaches were a class act which you are not based on that comment.
Wow, Congrats to KCC. Big win!!
Only a minor upset. Knott Central has some good talent that has played together for a couple of years now. They could very well win the 14th. Pikeville is having ups and downs right now, but I think they will get it together. Not a bad loss for them though to a good Knott Central team.
Word on the street is true. Pikeville up by 1 top of 7th, Sam Burton pitching supreme all game - strikes another out - two outs to go and Pikeville will win - coach takes Burton out - what the heck? Pitcher IS NOT hurting nor in trouble, he only has 2 outs to go for a win - coach then puts in 3 different cold pitchers - pikeville loses by 1 - now what do u all say? Bad coaching decision or not? Lets hear it!
Congrats KCC
Congrats KCC
Does Pikeville coaching staff use a strict pitch count maximum.
IF so, was the starter at or above that count.
Not going to second guess Pikeville Coach, he knows his team.
It still comes down to pitchers throwing strikes, and yeah it is tougher to do when you come in cold but all the pitchers that were brought in had been in the game from the start.
Yes it's a loss but it's not the end of the season...I am sure they will learn from what happened.
Hindsight is 20/20. If the pitcher the coach brings in comes in and K's the next 2 hitters, you would say he was a genius. The likely scenario is the Burton had reached his pitch limit or was above it. In that case, it would be better for Burton to come out and not risk hurting his arm over 2 more meaningless outs. Yes, it was a big game, but I think you would rather the kid finish the game in the district, region, or state than the Hazard Invitational mid-season.

It could also be possible that a section of the lineup was coming up that was on him pretty good. Maybe Coach leaves him in and the top of the lineup, who has already seen him 3 times, gets a hit, or walked, and then a home run. You would then say he left Burton in too long - bad coaching decision... blah, blah, blah. Coach made the decision he thought was right. It didn't work out.
Johnny Bench Wrote:Hindsight is 20/20. If the pitcher the coach brings in comes in and K's the next 2 hitters, you would say he was a genius. The likely scenario is the Burton had reached his pitch limit or was above it. In that case, it would be better for Burton to come out and not risk hurting his arm over 2 more meaningless outs. Yes, it was a big game, but I think you would rather the kid finish the game in the district, region, or state than the Hazard Invitational mid-season.

It could also be possible that a section of the lineup was coming up that was on him pretty good. Maybe Coach leaves him in and the top of the lineup, who has already seen him 3 times, gets a hit, or walked, and then a home run. You would then say he left Burton in too long - bad coaching decision... blah, blah, blah. Coach made the decision he thought was right. It didn't work out.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!! Any kids arm is more important than any game.
X's and O's Wrote:"fly by night??" say what you want, Knott beat Pikeville tonight. Knott gave Pikeville 3 runs and then Pikeville gave them 2 in the 7th.
This was a good ball game between 2 good teams. To throw insults around after a loss makes you look bad. Pikeville has a very good team and I won't respond to your comment by putting them down. The players and coaches were a class act which you are not based on that comment.

Just kidding around and didn't mean it as anything against KCC. KCC has a very good squad and congrats to them on the win. I would like to see them win the 14th.:Thumbs:
Johnny Bench Wrote:Hindsight is 20/20. If the pitcher the coach brings in comes in and K's the next 2 hitters, you would say he was a genius. The likely scenario is the Burton had reached his pitch limit or was above it. In that case, it would be better for Burton to come out and not risk hurting his arm over 2 more meaningless outs. Yes, it was a big game, but I think you would rather the kid finish the game in the district, region, or state than the Hazard Invitational mid-season.

Great post!!
As a former player at knott co im proud of them guys and hope we cont. to have a great season
Not an upset. Knott should be ranked in the top 25 as well. They have a deep pitching staff and can compete with anyone.
Come-On-Man Wrote:Not an upset. Knott should be ranked in the top 25 as well. They have a deep pitching staff and can compete with anyone.

Come on man!
I have learned one thing, Pikeville is a terrible loser. Sounds like it was a good game.
Pburgbaseball Wrote:I have learned one thing, Pikeville is a terrible loser. Sounds like it was a good game.

Because we are not used to it like you are.
This was an upset. Pikeville proved themselves last year and had only lost 1 game until last night. Knott struggled last year due to injuries to injuries to their top 3 pitchers.
Knott has been playing well since returning from Florida. Knott should not be in top 25 at this time, if they continue to win then maybe, but rankings don't mean anything anyway.
Win the region and get to State Tourney and then see what happens.
Pburgbaseball Wrote:I have learned one thing, Pikeville is a terrible loser. Sounds like it was a good game.

I dont think this is true at all. I saw many of Pikeville's players congratulating the KCC players after the game off the field. They seem like a very high class bunch of boys.
jetpilot Wrote:Just kidding around and didn't mean it as anything against KCC. KCC has a very good squad and congrats to them on the win. I would like to see them win the 14th.:Thumbs:

Just sounded bad, thanks for clearing it up. I hope both teams make it out of their regions. I will say it again, Pikeville's team and coaches were a class act.
A lot of quality teams get too full of themselves, I didn't see that from them.
I would much rather a team be bad losers than great losers? Either way your still a loser, so you might as well get mad about it? Makes sense to me?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I would much rather a team be bad losers than great losers? Either way your still a loser, so you might as well get mad about it? Makes sense to me?
JRS:

I think Pburgbaseball was trying to allege that Pikeville does not demonstrate good sportsmanship when they lose. Which is not true, of course. This is one classy group of kids who hate to lose, but are classy when they do. Heck, even one of the Pburg coaches gave them props during the All A for being a classy group of kids. Posted it on his Facebook page thanking them for helping get the tarp down on the baseball field when a storm sprung up, etc. This poster just sounds to me like either a student (fan) or someone who is a hater.

But, I get what you are saying, I definitely would rather see a group of kids who hate to lose than a group who doesn't care.
Agreed, should hate to lose but do it with class instead of making excuses.
PHSForever Wrote:JRS:

I think Pburgbaseball was trying to allege that Pikeville does not demonstrate good sportsmanship when they lose. Which is not true, of course. This is one classy group of kids who hate to lose, but are classy when they do. Heck, even one of the Pburg coaches gave them props during the All A for being a classy group of kids. Posted it on his Facebook page thanking them for helping get the tarp down on the baseball field when a storm sprung up, etc. This poster just sounds to me like either a student (fan) or someone who is a hater.

But, I get what you are saying, I definitely would rather see a group of kids who hate to lose than a group who doesn't care.

You are correct though....There needs to be clarification whenever people say things like this about young kids, especially when it's not true? Jealousy will sometimes make people do and say things that normally wouldn't do or say, but that doesnt excuse it? They do have classy kids and most of them have been around the eastern part of the country playing baseball and that's all anyone has ever said about them. Whoever says otherwise has some jealousy issue they need to deal with?

At the same time, the same can be said about the Lawrence County kids as well. The only people that bring them down from that are a select few posters on here, and that is a select few with several accounts. For the most part everyone I know from LC loves the game of baseball and treats it with great respect.