Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 5 Pikeville 4(15th region all a finals)
Congrats to coach Simpkins and the program. Quite possibly the biggest upset in a decade for this region
Time to regroup Panthers and use this as a motivational tool for the big prize which is still to come. Nobody expected Pikeville to win them all this year, they have a big target on their back every game.

Go Panthers!
Wow...mind-blowing.
Congrats Blackcats and Coach Simpkins on a great game. Make the 15th proud!
For those who know Prestonsburg Baseball, this was NO upset for us. We knew we could win...Pikeviile and Painstville thought this would be a cake walk. Quess what, there's a new sheriff in town and it's the Prestonsburg Baseball Blackcats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow to go Seth Carter 5 and a half innings pitching and the Trey Stapleton came in and closed it out. big hits my Alex Griffith, and Trey and Grant Anderson. And many, many good defensive Plays. GO CATS!!!!!!!! Wow to go coach Shane Simpkins, you are the man.
Absolutely no excuse to lose this game. Absolutely terrible, pitiful, whatever you want to call it performance. If this team wants respect they are going to have to earn it! It almost seems they think they will show up and because they have a P on their chest it is ballgame. Last year was last year. Doesn't do a darn bit of good for this year, because not one player is playing like they did last year.

The approach at the plate is unbearable. Pop up after pop up after pop up. Put the ball on the line or on the ground or you have zero chance to beat a team worth anything. Prestonsburg put it on the ground and on the line to get their 5 with a little help from BBs. Pikeville got their runs of a BB, HBP, and two hits. That is not going to get it done. Say goodbye to checking that top 25 poll. There is no one that is scared to play against a team that is going to be content to put the ball in play. Teams lick their chops to get a chance to knock off an "elite" team. Elite teams do not drop these games. Pikeville needed to lose, but not this one. You think that Lawrence County isn't ready to jump all over them?

This better serve as a loud as freaking heck WAKE UP call. Stop pressing at the plate and take good swings. Don't be content to put the ball in play. Heck, I did that much when I had the jersey on- but it did us little to zero good. You have got to sacrifice some contact every time for the sake of doing something in the box that is worthy of you standing in it. And pitchers have got to pitch ahead. So many times this year It is 2-1, 1-0, 3-2. You have got to get ahead in the count or all you are going to be doing is throwing a meat fastball down the heart of the plate every time to some good hitters late in the count. It is not like this is out of the blue. SC 4-3, AC 1-0, JC had us down 6-1.

This team is too talented to not being winning games soundly during this portion of the schedule. Hopefully this wakes them up and makes them realize that you have got to bring every single day. I know guys like Clark won't stand for it and will pick them up. But it has got to be soon and emphatic.

And as much as I like Randy in the 9 spot, he has got to move up. We have got to have solid backing of Gavin. I would prefer to see Randy move into the 5 and have someone else at 9. Something needs to be done to spark the offense. Not every night will you hold a team to under 4 and when they don't the offense has got to step up.

If anything, I know I've been hard on them but they need to realize something has got to change. I want to see them win more than anyone else. I love those guys. But they need to pick it up and play to the level that they are capable of doing. So, pick it up and let's pile up some more W's and take some other hardware home. Congrats to Prestonsburg. They played well enough to win tonight.

Let's go Panthers!
Didn't see this coming. Does Pburg have an overpowering pitcher or just a bad hitting night for Pikeville?
i would have to say fans saw a disappointing hitting panther baseball team tonight.
They meet again on May 5 at Pikeville, I believe this time around it will be a different turn of events
I've figured out pikevilles problem...overrated. I know I'm going to get heck over this. But let's face it...this pikeville team sure isn't what everyone made it out to be. I mean a loss to prestonsburg? Pikeville was suppose to be "untouchable". Barely winning over teams that shouldn't even be in the game isn't going to cut it. These pikeville boys need to get off their high horse and realize that they have to work for it, and nobody will let them have it willingly. If they play like this against teams like LC, JC, or even Paintsville then I feel for them. Hopefully they now realize that and they get it together. I'd like to see them do good this year. They have a good number of nice young athletes that all could have bright futures. Go panthers!
when will burton be pitching again for pikeville? i agree Mr. King a turn of tides is for certain. just an off night for pike tonight but thats how baseball is.
Moundbound Wrote:I've figured out pikevilles problem...overrated. I know I'm going to get heck over this. But let's face it...this pikeville team sure isn't what everyone made it out to be. I mean a loss to prestonsburg? Pikeville was suppose to be "untouchable". Barely winning over teams that shouldn't even be in the game isn't going to cut it. These pikeville boys need to get off their high horse and realize that they have to work for it, and nobody will let them have it willingly. If they play like this against teams like LC, JC, or even Paintsville then I feel for them. Hopefully they now realize that and they get it together. I'd like to see them do good this year. They have a good number of nice young athletes that all could have bright futures. Go panthers!
No one made them out to be "untouchable". Maybe the LC fans that were crazy enough to allow one more team in the discussion. I said it after a scrimmage that they would not blow decent teams out. It just is not going to happen. As for the comment about Paintsville, they have loss to Pburg already and won by 3. They are not very good, but it doesn't really matter because playing like this- Pikeville will lose to teams that are not very good. But I agree that they must pick it up. 9-1 was probably a start I would have been happy with if you just told me that is how it would start. But it is the way we are winning that needs to change. Hopefully, they can let this go. Even though it will be very difficult to do so. They really need to have a weekend sweep to gain some momentum heading into next week.
Dashiprock Wrote:when will burton be pitching again for pikeville? i agree Mr. King a turn of tides is for certain. just an off night for pike tonight but thats how baseball is.
I believe he will start tomorrow night against East Carter.
Moundbound Wrote:I've figured out pikevilles problem...overrated. I know I'm going to get heck over this. But let's face it...this pikeville team sure isn't what everyone made it out to be. I mean a loss to prestonsburg? Pikeville was suppose to be "untouchable". Barely winning over teams that shouldn't even be in the game isn't going to cut it. These pikeville boys need to get off their high horse and realize that they have to work for it, and nobody will let them have it willingly. If they play like this against teams like LC, JC, or even Paintsville then I feel for them. Hopefully they now realize that and they get it together. I'd like to see them do good this year. They have a good number of nice young athletes that all could have bright futures. Go panthers!

Ya think!!!!!

Not sure that is making much sense, seeing that they have already beaten both teams.

baseball teams usually get in slumps, youve never heard of a baseball team go undefeated, a loss doesnt consider the panther team to be "overrated" they have had some good quality wins, and still number 1 in the region until proven different at the regional tournament. this is a bad loss and as PT stated, but there is to be considered the fact of numerous things, poor hitting, errors, etc. this panther bunch is still 9-1 and still a better team in the end, but credit is due to this prestonburg team tonight.
Bob Seger Wrote:Ya think!!!!!

Not sure that is making much sense, seeing that they have already beaten both teams.

great mention bobby.
I see everyone saying Pikeville played bad, how about Prestonsburg played better. Prestonsburg has had the talent for years they just didn't have a coach until now! Shane Simpkins has been a breath of fresh air, they have good players they just needed to have a coach who believed in them. Now they have that so watch out everyone this isn't a one game one. This is a team that's out to win it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go Seth Carter to throw 5 plus innings and them Trey Stapelton to come in a finish them off. And good hitting from Alex Griffith And Grant Anderson and how about Trey and there great defense. Go CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You cant win them all. That's baseball

Huge upset tonight, but hey, they happen. Thats life. Think Ohio State knew UK was gonna send them home?

PHS is not overrated. I'll argue that all day. Best Defense in Region hands down. Their offense is whats weighting them. Putting 3 up in the first inning, yeah youre gonna think its gonna be 5 and out. You cant get satisfied. Too many homerun hitters. Level swings is key, but you cant just coach and correct a hitting slump

They should feed off this. A Championship upset is gonna be harder to swallow than a regular season game. A loss was coming, that goes for every team. Just a bad time for it to hit.

May 5th @ Pikeville, these two will meet again.
well all the pikeville fans jumped on lc for scott and scott is better than prestonsburg.....
im not even gonna start here, because its baseball and bad games happen. its still early for atleast 1 more week.

region is still 1-2 LC and pville.
LAsweetness Wrote:well all the pikeville fans jumped on lc for scott and scott is better than prestonsburg.....im not even gonna start here, because its baseball and bad games happen. its still early for atleast 1 more week.

region is still 1-2 LC and pville.

totally different scenario, scott-lc was two horrible loses back to back.

however id disagree with PIKEcountyFAN statement on defense... IMO LC's defense is top notch and at the beginning of the year the sticks were wak but much better going further in the season.

Mr. sweet is right
1. LC
2. Pikeville.
Dashiprock Wrote:totally different scenario, scott-lc was two horrible loses back to back.

however id disagree with PIKEcountyFAN statement on defense... IMO LC's defense is top notch and at the beginning of the year the sticks were wak but much better going further in the season.

Mr. sweet is right
1. LC
2. Pikeville.

Is not a total team defensive collaspe what the LC faithful claim as to what caused the Florida disaster? Even though they won, I also believe they were saying the same thing after they played Pike Central.
Congrats P-Burg
Think they regret hiring Shane now...lol. Congrats PBurg!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:Think they regret hiring Shane now...lol. Congrats PBurg!

^ Awesome Reds photo OTH.

:Thumbs:
Has Burton been hurt? I didn't hear mention of him throwing in the All A. I didn't know if he was injured or just further down the rotation for Pikeville.
Future HOF'er Wrote:Has Burton been hurt? I didn't hear mention of him throwing in the All A. I didn't know if he was injured or just further down the rotation for Pikeville.
He threw innings in the SC game. At this point all 3 starters are pretty equal in results. The staff just feels a little more comfortable with what they have seen for a long time than just a few months, which is understandable. Everyone still has confidence in Sam. He will get his innings. He is 4-0 on the year and has thrown the ball very well in some situations. He has a tendency to overthrow a little and sacrifice accuracy for velocity. When he takes a little off he becomes much more efficient and effective.
In my opinion, yeah pburg pulled off the upset. But they're not a top region team.
Ask anyone in the region what the outcome if this tourney would of been and they'd of said Pikeville vs Paintsville.
I agree PBurg nwas not suppose to win Tourny. The fact that PBurg is playing well is a far bigger story than Pikeville playing bad. PBurg has not played well in quite a few years. New Coach has done great job. Win just proves that they have greatly improved and Pikeville can be beat on any given night. The Region powers are not invincible and good teams can beat them if they are not on top of their game.
Pikeville lost. BIG DEAL! Next Game! They lose one game and everyone automatically assumes that they are overrated and don't belong in the same category as Lawrence County. As a Lawrence County native, and die hard fan of the baseball program of the Bulldogs, I would have to say that the Region will still come down to Pikeville or Lawrence County. My pick is Lawrence County.
kai Wrote:I agree PBurg nwas not suppose to win Tourny. The fact that PBurg is playing well is a far bigger story than Pikeville playing bad. PBurg has not played well in quite a few years. New Coach has done great job. Win just proves that they have greatly improved and Pikeville can be beat on any given night. The Region powers are not invincible and good teams can beat them if they are not on top of their game.

Well said.