•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 2011
It may not be easy, but Harlan County dominated last year and brings back seven or eight starters each way.
To say it's wide open is a little bit of a stretch.
HAT51 Wrote:Win the district easily? Nothing is easy in this sport. Better look at the other teams first and see what they have returning!

Winning the district wasn't "easy" for them last year, but they just made it look that way.

I hear the Black Bears have good numbers out for Spring Practice and have some boys who are fired up ready to play some football!
Who will be the key filthy animals on defense next year in Harlan?
Tucker Lewis, Carson Whitehead, Austin Maggard, Jake Middleton, Marcus McMillan, will return and I look for Mike Hensley and DJ Brock to replace animals on the line. I'm sure there will be some surprises as well!
Jordy Brewer, Zach Chitwood, Coty Miracle also return as starters on the defense. Don't forget Chase Calton who started 6 games as a sophomore on defense when some linemen were hurt. He'll be a senior now and he can play. Also several others waiting in line to play. Michael Smith started most games last season. Counting Cody Taylor and Treyvon Long there are 12 kids who have started a significant amount of football games for the defense.
Mama Bear Wrote:Winning the district wasn't "easy" for them last year, but they just made it look that way.

I hear the Black Bears have good numbers out for Spring Practice and have some boys who are fired up ready to play some football!

I'm a fan of a team that's in the same district and I'll be the first to say HC made it look easy! They were just that much better than everybody else.
I see them repeating as district and region champs, and having a deep run in the playoffs now that Trinity is no longer in our class.
Aslan Wrote:I'm a fan of a team that's in the same district and I'll be the first to say HC made it look easy! They were just that much better than everybody else.
I see them repeating as district and region champs, and having a deep run in the playoffs now that Trinity is no longer in our class.

I think you meant Highlands.
Yogibear Wrote:Jordy Brewer, Zach Chitwood, Coty Miracle also return as starters on the defense. Don't forget Chase Calton who started 6 games as a sophomore on defense when some linemen were hurt. He'll be a senior now and he can play. Also several others waiting in line to play. Michael Smith started most games last season. Counting Cody Taylor and Treyvon Long there are 12 kids who have started a significant amount of football games for the defense.

Last year the Black Bear's JV and Freshmen squads had excellent seasons and I'm sure some of these boys will be looking to get some PT with the varsity this year. Depth may be the key for the Bears success this year. Hope they push one another this year and we have another exciting season.
DaBears Wrote:I think you meant Highlands.

Ugh, sorry, it was late Big Grin
Congrats to the Black Bears for taking first in the Laurel County Powerlifting Meet. Keep up the hard work and continue to get stronger. Can't wait to see this group take the field in the Fall. Work Hard!!!!!!!!!
Any word on how Spring Practice is going?
coach larkey must have them eating beans
former Wrote:coach larkey must have them eating beans

Most Filthy Animals will eat about anything you put in front of them. Always hungry.
HC had their banquet Sunday. The one thing I kept noticing as the underclassmen were recognized is how well built so many kids were, Talk about passing look test! These kids look very impressive. One thing that really stood out was the numbers of linemen. It seems like I saw 15 kids that looked ready to play on the line. Put that with the returning skill.....Could be an emergency room afternoon many fall Fridays.
Excited about this Black/White Scrimmage Friday. Anxious to see the Bears!!! Should be fun to watch.
Mama Bear,

How many big ol' bears do you all have out for Spring Ball over on that side of the mountain? Who is working the weight room for you guys over there? I think it use to be Erik Bowling didn't it? I think that if Coach Larkey can get your guys to buy into the idea of TEAM like he did last year you all could have one special season. I know that we over here in Letcher County realize we are in for a war when we play you guys. But I love the rivalry between our two schools since we are so close together and have so much in common with each other. Good luck to all of the Black Bears and hope they have a great season and finish 10-1.
Concept of team is not built every year. It is a program thing. It has been instilled in the kids at HC. They will play as a team every year. Eric Bowling, great guy, hasn't been around football in many years. The current staff runs the weightroom.
Mama Bear Wrote:Excited about this Black/White Scrimmage Friday. Anxious to see the Bears!!! Should be fun to watch.

Darn it...I'll be out of town Friday and will not get to watch the scrimmage. Was looking forward to getting together with all the other Mama Bears to watch some Black Bear football!!! I miss you all!!!
YogiBear,
I'm also a football coach and I do understand that your team is only as good as the relationships that the coach can build with the kids and the kids with each other. I was pretty much complimenting Coach Larkey in a round about way and was hoping to see them have the same kind of year as last year. They were fun to watch and I've gotten to know many of those young men when they played against my 8th grade team. I don't know if you thought I was slighting the boys or program by stating I hope he can get them to buy into TEAM like he did last year, I didn't mean it that way. Ask Mama Bear, I'm a friend of your program and have been for several years.
Coach Howard Wrote:Mama Bear,

How many big ol' bears do you all have out for Spring Ball over on that side of the mountain? Who is working the weight room for you guys over there? I think it use to be Erik Bowling didn't it? I think that if Coach Larkey can get your guys to buy into the idea of TEAM like he did last year you all could have one special season. I know that we over here in Letcher County realize we are in for a war when we play you guys. But I love the rivalry between our two schools since we are so close together and have so much in common with each other. Good luck to all of the Black Bears and hope they have a great season and finish 10-1.

Coach H,

The weight room is full and there's Black Bears hard at work in it. No hibernating for these Bears. The football coaches are in there pushing the kids to get stronger and it's working. The team recently placed first overall in a weight meet at N.Laurel. It seems like each year since consolidation the kids and staff use the last season as a stepping stone for the next. The kids at HC have bought into the program hook, line, and sinker. I think I counted about 45 upperclassmen at Spring practice (not including baseball players) and saw near that many 8th graders coming out of weight room. A lot of excitement on this side of the mountain. The boys were thrilled with the season they had last year and want to go farther. A lot of work to do to get there. We're looking forward to battling LCC again. Love that rivalry! Hope things are going well across Whitesburg Mountain.
Did not think it was a slight. Just stating my philosophy of "team." Not being argumentative or defensive at all. Just was saying I don't think it is a year to year thing. Others may.
Yogibear Wrote:Concept of team is not built every year. It is a program thing. It has been instilled in the kids at HC. They will play as a team every year. Eric Bowling, great guy, hasn't been around football in many years. The current staff runs the weightroom.

Who is supposed to run the weight program? I thought all coaching staffs did that.
No problem YogiBear,
I was just meaning that some years it's harder to get 100% of the kids to buy into the team first mentality. Not sure if it's parents, previous coaches, or just a particular kids personality but you occasionally run into one of those "ME" first mentalities. I know that Coach Woods, Coach Bailey, and the Evarts coaches does a great job of preparing your young men for high school football. I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't knocking you all in any way, I think you have something special rolling over there so help those guys keep it going.
HAT51 Wrote:Who is supposed to run the weight program? I thought all coaching staffs did that.

Most of the time, theres usually only one or two coaches left in the weight room all winter with the kids.
Head coaches and stuff will check in periodically but for the most part its up to the kids to make themselves better.
Ive found its good and bad, but the kids who really want it really show up this time of year.
You are probably right, but I know for 100 percent fact that Coach Larkey is with the kids every single day.
Harlan County Black Bears 2011

Aug 20, 11 Morristown-Hamblen East, TN at Morristown, TN

8:00 PM Tribunal Bowl
Aug 27, 11 Paul Laurence Dunbar at Various Sites

3:00 PM FCPS iHigh.com Football Frenzy
Sep 2, 11 Gate City, VA away

7:30 PM
Sep 16, 11 Lee County-Jonesville, VA home

7:30 PM ARH Bowl
Sep 23, 11 Knox Central home

Sep 30, 11 George Rogers Clark away

Oct 7, 11 Letcher County Central home

7:30 PM Friends of Coal Bowl
Oct 14, 11 Whitley County away

Oct 21, 11 Perry County Central home

Oct 28, 11 Bell County away

[URL="http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyfb11/?id=35232"]Harlan County 2011 Football
[/URL]
Bolt Wrote:Most of the time, theres usually only one or two coaches left in the weight room all winter with the kids.
Head coaches and stuff will check in periodically but for the most part its up to the kids to make themselves better.
Ive found its good and bad, but the kids who really want it really show up this time of year.

Wherever that happens you see losing seasons. It should be required or they don't play unless they are in another sport.
HAT51 Wrote:Wherever that happens you see losing seasons. It should be required or they don't play unless they are in another sport.

What are you talking about? I said the COACHES are usually limited to one or two in the weight room.
I said nothing of the players. Every school i know of makes it mandatory to attend weightlifting unless playing another sport. I dont blame the coaches, the money is not good enough to spend every single day in the weight room when one or two coaches can handle it and keep the kids on top of things.
Players should attend or they shouldnt be allowed to play the next year.
By "show up" i meant work extra hard in the weight room, not show up as in actually come.
" I dont blame the coaches, the money is not good enough to spend every single day in the weight room "

Agreed! Despite that fact, almost all of Harlan County's coaches are in the weight room with players unless they have other obligations. The dedication to the weight room by the coaches are equal to the players. TEAM
Money should not be a factor. If coaches want to be a part of a winning program they will find a way to be in there. No questions asked. Lots of things can be run half a@#ed and still function in minimal capacity. Good teams will always have lots of coaches around all the time. It SHOULD be that way.
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next