Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knox Central 2011
New Coach... New alignment. New attitude. Two of 3 last seasons have been best ever seasons in school history with 9-4 and 10-3 in 2008 and 2010. The incoming Senior/Junior set has driven much of that success. Still, we must replace a good senior class in some key spots.
who is the new coach
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:who is the new coach

Scottie Russell. he was an Assistant There
Russell played at a high level and has done a great job running the offense here for many years. He and Coach Mills worked great together but I sense Coach Russell has always wanted to do more creative things with the ball and look for him to move quickly to add several arrows to the offensive quiver.
Football1 Wrote:Russell played at a high level and has done a great job running the offense here for many years. He and Coach Mills worked great together but I sense Coach Russell has always wanted to do more creative things with the ball and look for him to move quickly to add several arrows to the offensive quiver.
what are some of his creative things ?i personally would like to see more of a spread/option,unless you have a couple of hard downhill running backs and a good blocking line.i think our talent would play into that scheme,,,what do you think,i know you are closer to these kids?
big blu 2 u Wrote:what are some of his creative things ?i personally would like to see more of a spread/option,unless you have a couple of hard downhill running backs and a good blocking line.i think our talent would play into that scheme,,,what do you think,i know you are closer to these kids?
I'd be surprised if we don't open things up a bit. Our QB returns for his 3rd starting year with the ability run or throw. I'd say Coach Russell will give him more freedom to toss it around and go deep more often. We will still run the ball between the tackles to leverage our strength but I imagine those plays not always be out of that predictable package where we line up in I to run and shotgun to pass.

We will always be a smash mouth team. We will just do it a bit differently in 2011.
Different can be good, but part of the 'same' needs to be putting the ball in the hands of Jeffrey Canady, over and over and over.
it should be another good year for KNOX.. im predicting they will win district for the first time i believe ever ? and for playoffs every game is goin to be hard no more winning by 40 in first round
the light wizard Wrote:it should be another good year for KNOX.. im predicting they will win district for the first time i believe ever ? and for playoffs every game is goin to be hard no more winning by 40 in first round
Agree!
hows there schedule coming along. I've heard there having a hard time filling it,
big blu 2 u Wrote:what are some of his creative things ?i personally would like to see more of a spread/option,unless you have a couple of hard downhill running backs and a good blocking line.i think our talent would play into that scheme,,,what do you think,i know you are closer to these kids?

Do you not think you need these to run the spread-option? Don't get so consumed with things that you see Florida, Auburn and GA Tech do, because:

1) With their world class talents (GA Tech's talent isn't that of AU or FLA), they could run whatever offense they want and succeed.

2) Those schools, along with every college can recruit to their system.

3) A lot of the stuff you see on tv with Auburn and Florida is old school football philosophies (Wishbone, Wing T, Veer), just out of flashier formations.

Every coach will add their own new wrinkles, philosophies and spice things up a bit, but if I'm Russell, I'm going by the old saying of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Make the program yours, but at the sametime; keep on keeping on. Good luck to K-N-O-X this year! I can't wait to see what the future holds! :rockon:
Russell will do well at Knox
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Do you not think you need these to run the spread-option? Don't get so consumed with things that you see Florida, Auburn and GA Tech do, because:

1) With their world class talents (GA Tech's talent isn't that of AU or FLA), they could run whatever offense they want and succeed.

2) Those schools, along with every college can recruit to their system.

3) A lot of the stuff you see on tv with Auburn and Florida is old school football philosophies (Wishbone, Wing T, Veer), just out of flashier formations.

Every coach will add their own new wrinkles, philosophies and spice things up a bit, but if I'm Russell, I'm going by the old saying of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Make the program yours, but at the sametime; keep on keeping on. Good luck to K-N-O-X this year! I can't wait to see what the future holds! :rockon:
You make excellent points here. It is hard for a HS program to adopt what works for big colleges. Still, if we wish to succeed at a high level we (and others in the mountains) need to mondernize our offense and ensure our secondary is well schooled on stopping the pass. It is simply not enough any more to just out man your opponents.
Football1 Wrote:You make excellent points here. It is hard for a HS program to adopt what works for big colleges. Still, if we wish to succeed at a high level we (and others in the mountains) need to mondernize our offense and ensure our secondary is well schooled on stopping the pass. It is simply not enough any more to just out man your opponents.

You are exactly right with these points. Offensively, I think you have to adjust to the talent you have, while still being able to keep things the same from year to year if that makes since? For example, the whole numbering system, how you tag pass routes/passing tree, formations, etc. whill being able to have wrinkles that you can throw in; along with other intangibles, but that's neither here nor there right now. Here is wishing the best to Coach Russell and the rest of the K-N-O-X Panthers!
how is spring ball
They look solid. Big strong line. Diamond and Grubb have started since 2008. They will anchor lines that will be complimented by several other 300lb bench pressers. John Shepardis one to watch for KC this year. He has worked hard and looks great. He and Diamond benched 350 and 355 respectively last week. The strength program at KC continues to get great results for all the players.

What can you say about Canady except "wow". He has added mass already that will make him twice the threat. His speed and power were already among the best in the state and with this off season's work he will start to be talked about among the best.

Coach Russell hit the ground running doing a super job. Practice has been crisp and to the point. We are blessed to have him and his staff.
Aug 27, 11 West Jessamine at South Laurel 5:30 PM Cumberland Valley Bowl
Sep 2, 11 Perry County Central at Clay County 6:00 PM Appalachian Bowl
Sep 9, 11 Gatlinburg-Pittman, TN away 7:30 PM
Sep 16, 11 Clinton, TN away 7:30 PM
Sep 23, 11 Harlan County away 7:30 PM
Sep 30, 11 Clay County home 7:30 PM
Oct 14, 11 Rockcastle County home 7:30 PM
Oct 21, 11 Russell County away 6:30 PM
Oct 28, 11 Madison Central home 7:30 PM

What other team are they playing? There's only 9 Scheduled
The bowl game is held at Knox Central High School
http://thetimestribune.com/sports/x20576...oneer-Bowl

August 19th we play Lancaster Christian Academy out of TN. I know nothing about them so it should be interesting.

Lynn Camp takes on South Laurel in the first game that night at Knox Central. Then we play Lancaster.
Early looks say that Panthers will be tough. Nice article here on Jefferey Canady who I have heard can play a little football. http://www.bleedbluekentucky.com/

What will make Canady so tough to stop is what surrounds him. His QB is a versatile player with feet to match his arm. Several recievers will make focusing a safety on JC a dangerous strategy. The line for KC is an experienced group that will provide protection and punch holes where needed.

Could be fun Friday every week for the Navy and Gold if they execute and play smart. But that never comes easy. Can't wait.
is jonathan turpin still there ?i haven't heard u all talk about him he was one of the strongest kids on the team wasn't he?
A parent was at practice today, and told he saw the Diamond Kid and Grubb hit in a one on one drill----he said for a brief moment the earth shook---:redboxer:
belldad2011 Wrote:is jonathan turpin still there ?i haven't heard u all talk about him he was one of the strongest kids on the team wasn't he?
Turpin is not back this year. He moved to VA. He will be missed as he was a good player. His 420 pound bench press (he weighs under 200 pounds) was amazing. But we will be fine with several players stepping in to take his spot who may lack his upper body strength but more than make up for that with speed and agility.
highschoolfan Wrote:A parent was at practice today, and told he saw the Diamond Kid and Grubb hit in a one on one drill----he said for a brief moment the earth shook---:redboxer:
Those 2 have been making each other better for lots of years. Grubb is unblockable in the trenches and Diamond brings a level of speed and agility that is very rare for a kid who is almost 300 pounds. They will be trouble for many this year.
Anyone else concerned with the lack of numbers? Seems we are lacking some numbers.
William Muney Wrote:Anyone else concerned with the lack of numbers? Seems we are lacking some numbers.

How many are out so far?
I'm very excited to see Knox this year. I hope they continue their success and have a great season under Russell. I love mountain domination and we need teams like Knox, Corbin, Middlesboro, and Harlan co to come along. Goodluck to these kids and teams!
William Muney Wrote:Anyone else concerned with the lack of numbers? Seems we are lacking some numbers.

54 on current rosterTongueirateSho
I look for another big year from the Panthers. I except them to win their district.Good Luck Knox.
We do have a few less bodies out than in years gone by. But from what I can tell that is not any indication of quality of the players that are out. It appears that some of the guys who usually like to come get a picture in the annual are not there. Likely a good thing.