Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset
Do I smell a state championship brewing in 2011? Yes, yes I do! :rockon:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought graduation hit Somerset pretty hard this year. From what I have heard they should be down a little next year from what they had been for the last few years.
And their new district is no cake walk.
Who do you see standing in their way?
Somerset will be down, count on it!
Yeah, you are right. Just learned some interesting news...
Danville. Their running back is a stud and Somerset lost a lot off of the team that beat them this year.
OffensiveGuru Wrote:Yeah, you are right. Just learned some interesting news...

What's the news?
Yeah, Somerset will be down this year after last season's large senior class graduated. The Jumpers' district is pretty tough, too.
Danville has a stud and will be very good, Middlesboro should be improved in Frazier 2nd season, and LCA always puts a pretty good team on the field. They also have NCC on that side if they make it out the Region also. IMO the road to WKU will be tougher for Somerset that it has been in the past!
Really tough district.
OffensiveGuru Wrote:Do I smell a state championship brewing in 2011? Yes, yes I do! :rockon:
:please:
I retracted my statement based on some info that I don't care to discuss. Thanks for all your input though.
I don't know I expect Somerset to return fairly strong in 2011. I definitely think they will have a good team and may be the favorites to win their district but I think a state championship expectation is unlikely. They do return all state wide receiver Storm Wilson, our best back from last year in Alex Lange, and our best defensive player from last season. Really Erik is the only loss from last year that can't be replaced, but that may very well be all it takes for Somerset to fall off next season. The difference in Somerset the past couple of years compared to the good teams at the beginning of the century is the numbers. Somerset gets a lot more kids out for the team than they were ten years ago and it is making it much easier for them to adapt to graduation. Let us not forget that going into this past season they lost 16 seniors from the state runner-up team. Lucas will have this team ready to go come Fall, faith.
zebra'seyes Wrote:Somerset will be down, count on it!

Let's hope they do! :Thumbs:
RO your right, numbers are up where they need to be. With classes averaging around 12-15 per class. SHS lost a ton of experience and leadership each of the last two seasons.

Next years schedule will be a bear, (I wish we had next years schedule this past season, it would have been a blast), Breathitt, Whitley, Hazard, Perry Cent, Pulaski, Danville, Lex Christian, Middlesboro plus two more I can't think of right now.

Jumpers D will suffer more than the O, IMO from the losses in graduation. O-line returns LT and C and has a good young group to fill in the other spots. Jumpers have 4-5 strong young RB's ready to pound the ball a little more next year.

I don's see them going 10-0 in Reg season again but can't really point to a game that they can't win next year either.

NCC is the big road block on the eastern side of 2A for who ever comes out of this area.
OffensiveGuru Wrote:Yeah, you are right. Just learned some interesting news...

You go from thinking they will win the State to agreeing that they will be way down based on some interesting news? What did you here? The school was closing? Coach quit? All of the football players were ruled ineligible next year? Old Coach coming back? Superintendant going to coach next year? Colors changing from Purple and Gold to Caroline Blue and Pink? Somerset is now going to emphasize football and band the same way Taylor County does?

What is this interesting news, that so changed your mind?
Jumperdad, do you know if the Whitley/Somerset games is at Whitley or somerset?
Ive heard this has been finalized as a two year contract and will play each other home and away.
Im thinking this will be at somerset next year since Whitley already has like 5 home games.
No not sure where any games are next year.
According to the Riherds 2011 schedules, Somerset travels to Whitley.
First four and scrimmage
Lex Cath Scrimmage (prbly at Lex Cath)
@west Jess
Pulaski @ Correll Bowl Aug 26
@hazard
@breathitt
Jumper Dad Wrote:First four and scrimmage
Lex Cath Scrimmage (prbly at Lex Cath)
@west Jess
@hazard
@breathitt

Ouch, and @Whitley? Are we going to get to watch any games at the Briar Patch this year?
Jumper Dad Wrote:You go from thinking they will win the State to agreeing that they will be way down based on some interesting news? What did you here? The school was closing? Coach quit? All of the football players were ruled ineligible next year? Old Coach coming back? Superintendant going to coach next year? Colors changing from Purple and Gold to Caroline Blue and Pink? Somerset is now going to emphasize football and band the same way Taylor County does?

What is this interesting news, that so changed your mind?
I will tell you that best defensive player that was mentioned is or was in jail facing some serious charges and should be expelled. Don't expect him to play next year. Somerset has a way of ruining all there good athletes. They have no ability to properly mentor their youth. To much emphasis placed on winning football games. Kids are catered to much at an early age and think school rules are not made for them. Somerset is now a small inner city school that still wants to maintain an elite status. Time for a serious change in direction. Quit worrying about football and start worrying about the kids and maybe they will stay off the front page of the paper. This team is no State Championship Contender.
Colonels87 Wrote:I will tell you that best defensive player that was mentioned is or was in jail facing some serious charges and should be expelled. Don't expect him to play next year. Somerset has a way of ruining all there good athletes. They have no ability to properly mentor their youth. To much emphasis placed on winning football games. Kids are catered to much at an early age and think school rules are not made for them. Somerset is now a small inner city school that still wants to maintain an elite status. Time for a serious change in direction. Quit worrying about football and start worrying about the kids and maybe they will stay off the front page of the paper. This team is no State Championship Contender.

Sorry to hear about the kid's troubles. I'm not positive who he is, but if he is guilty, then yes, he should be punished/dealt with accordingly. However, to say that "Somerset has a way of ruining all there [sic] good athletes" is just a gross overstatement.

Granted, I don't keep up with the SHS program like I used to, but I do still know a lot of the Jumpers from back when I played against them in the '80s. Their best running back from back then is now a doctor, and their best receiver back then is a police officer. One of their best linemen from that era is a doctor, another is a lawyer, another is a college professor.

And more recently, I do know that they had maybe their best player in decades just a few years ago. He's now a starting receiver at Vanderbilt. Another recent alum is a three-year starter at Centre. I also watched former Jumper Tremaine (sp?) Perkins have a very nice career at (and graduate from) EKU.

My only point is this: Should Somerset assess how they failed with this troubled young man and examine ways to improve their chances of helping others? Absolutely. However, it seems blatantly unfair to ignore all of a program's positive outcomes any time they fail to reach one kid.
There is only so much that can be accomplished by coaches and the school. It all starts at home. Plus sometimes a kid just needs to see for himself that the world does not revolve around him to see what he needs to do in his life.
[quote=Colonels87]I will tell you that best defensive player that was mentioned is or was in jail facing some serious charges and should be expelled. Don't expect him to play next year. QUOTE]

Not going to air particulars in public but current situation is NOT serious. Not good by any means but still not serious.
Complete Schedule for 2011

Lex Cath Scrimmage (@ Lex Cath)

@ West Jess
Open
@ Hazard
@ Breathitt
Glasgow
@ Whitley
Danville *
@ Lex Christian *
Middlesboro *
@ Perry Central

* District Games
Jumper Dad Wrote:Complete Schedule for 2011

Lex Cath Scrimmage (@ Lex Cath)

@ West Jess
Open
@ Hazard
@ Breathitt
Glasgow
@ Whitley
Danville *
@ Lex Christian *
Middlesboro *
@ Perry Central

* District Games

Whoa, no cupcakes on that tray. I'm not even sure there's a muffin.
Jumper Dad Wrote:There is only so much that can be accomplished by coaches and the school. It all starts at home. Plus sometimes a kid just needs to see for himself that the world does not revolve around him to see what he needs to do in his life.

This.

Somerset will be fine this season.
I'm sure with the talent they have year in and year out, Somerset will have a very competitive team. I think its crazy for anyone to think any team is brewing on a State Football Title in March! Lots of things can happen between now and then.